ADVERTISEMENT

This season will suck, but we’ll be fine.

All the national pundits who talked about Scott Frost during the offseason and when they see Frost going 0-2 so far, they don't seem to be all that surprised by that result.

We're 0-2, I knew there were going to be growing pains. I just didn't expect the growing pains to happen in the first two games of the year. I thought the growing pains would occur in the middle to late part of the season.

Reactions: CatColumbia
We were one year removed from a 9 win season (2016). How is one really crappy season (2017) now a culture?

Yes, the culture needs to be changed still and that will take some time to be nationally relevant. Our lack of elite culture isn't why we lost today nor is Riley to blame for this particularly loss.
Maybe culture isn’t the right word. There is an issue with culture, sure, but the reality is we are 0-2 right now after trying to turn around a team that finished 4-8 last year. We’re finding out It’s turning a battleship, not exactly a speedy process. New coaches, new systems, new players, new expectations, it takes time...

Should we have won these first two games we’ve played? I think yes. But we didn’t for a variety of reasons.

Maybe culture isn’t the right word. There is an issue with culture, sure, but the reality is we are 0-2 right now after trying to turn around a team that finished 4-8 last year. We’re finding out It’s turning a battleship, not exactly a speedy process. New coaches, new systems, new players, new expectations, it takes time...

Should we have won these first two games we’ve played? I think yes. But we didn’t for a variety of reasons.

Agree.

Scott Frost has shown the ability to put together a top offense and undefeated team...2 years after they didn’t have a win.

I’m amazed by the lack of faith many seem to have in his ability to turn things around here.

All the drama since 2001 has made us emotionally fragile.

Pelini was able to overcome Callahan's stench, but Frost can't overcome Riley's stench?

I thought Riley's recruiting was way, way overrated (should say - by some, not everyone), but Callahan did have some nice recruits waiting for Pelini. Depth was missing, but they had some legit guys

This turnaround will be gradual. But I believe it will happen this year. The team will beat someone good and it will click. We will wish we could play CU and Troy again. But we will establish something for next year. I’m in for the long haul and give this staff a long runway.
Me too. Patience people

Pelini was able to overcome Callahan's stench, but Frost can't overcome Riley's stench?

Should have never fired Callahan, he was bringing studs in left and right. Should have let him make defensive changes and see what happened. I fully believe he could have won big at Nebraska had they stayed the course a couple more years.

Should have never fired Callahan, he was bringing studs in left and right. Should have let him make defensive changes and see what happened. I fully believe he could have won big at Nebraska had they stayed the course a couple more years.

I don't think Callahan would have fired Coz. And I don't think Callahan had any desire to stay here after that 2007 season. I think he always wanted to get back to the NFL as soon as he could.

What would have been interesting is if Callahan had kept Pelini on as defensive coordinator when he was hired.

I don't think Callahan would have fired Coz. And I don't think Callahan had any desire to stay here after that 2007 season. I think he always wanted to get back to the NFL as soon as he could.

What would have been interesting is if Callahan had kept Pelini on as defensive coordinator when he was hired.

Maybe.....we will never know

Bull. While losing to troy is inexusibl e, a lot has changed and we are still better off than with your clown boy riley. Enjoy it while you can.
Huh? You think I'm happy about this performance?

Also, I don't know how many times I have to say it, but I'll say it again. I'd much rather have Frost than Riley and we'll end up being in great hands with Frost leading the way.

SF will get Nebraska there. One thing to keep in mind about his ability to turn around a team is that at UCF he inherited the perfect situation. The team had just gone 0-12 in 2015, but that team was loaded with winning experience and speed. Coming off Back to back conf championships and throttling Baylor in the 2014 Fiesta Bowl. They felt like UCF admin had quit on them at the end of Oleary era when Oleary was promoted to AD and named an unpopular coach in waiting. SF was the perfect guy to turn around a gritty group of players.

I still struggle with comments that imply that beating Troy now falls under "this is going to take some time to right the ship".

Its freaking Troy. Now, I'm still optimistic that we finish no worse than 3rd in the West. This years schedule is turning out to be not as difficult as I first thought it was going to be.

We're talking about Nebraska so its comparable because they're both (were) coaches at Nebraska. They both followed crappy coaching.

You're telling me the cupboard is so bare that we cant even beat Troy?

The cup board is bare at QB we only have one scholarship QB the rest of the Riley QB couldn’t run the system or left because they only wanted to start.

I still struggle with comments that imply that beating Troy now falls under "this is going to take some time to right the ship".

Its freaking Troy. Now, I'm still optimistic that we finish no worse than 3rd in the West. This years schedule is turning out to be not as difficult as I first thought it was going to be.
Not seeing the game today and only reading this board, I believe with AM we win. That’s not to throw Bunch under the bus, but AM would have made Troy pay all day.

We lost to Troy. Never should have happened. We play them tomorrow, even with Bunch, we win, if we clean it up.

It’s hard to win games when you are shooting yourself in the foot over and over again. Doesn’t matter who you are.

Reactions: HuskerO
I thought Riley's recruiting was way, way overrated (should say - by some, not everyone), but Callahan did have some nice recruits waiting for Pelini. Depth was missing, but they had some legit guys
I feel like Riley recruited OK, but no way that staff developed those players very well.

SF will get Nebraska there. One thing to keep in mind about his ability to turn around a team is that at UCF he inherited the perfect situation. The team had just gone 0-12 in 2015, but that team was loaded with winning experience and speed. Coming off Back to back conf championships and throttling Baylor in the 2014 Fiesta Bowl. They felt like UCF admin had quit on them at the end of Oleary era when Oleary was promoted to AD and named an unpopular coach in waiting. SF was the perfect guy to turn around a gritty group of players.

We hired Frost 3 years too late. Frost with our 2015 roster would have been a fairly smooth transition, Tommy Armstrong was the type of gritty experienced leader we need this year, and would have been great in Frost's offense. Plus guys like Westerkamp, Reilly, Cethan, Newby, Alonzo Moore, DPE.

By now, he would have his system and his recruits in place. Oh well, you can't go back in time now.

Would h
We hired Frost 3 years too late. Frost with our 2015 roster would have been a fairly smooth transition, Tommy Armstrong was the type of gritty experienced leader we need this year, and would have been great in Frost's offense. Plus guys like Westerkamp, Reilly, Cethan, Newby, Alonzo Moore, DPE.

By now, he would have his system and his recruits in place. Oh well, you can't go back in time now.

So don’t :Cool:

Reactions: 9and4
Dum bro...Cally gave Bo pee three top 15 recruiting classes in 2005 and 2006, the 2007 and the 2008 class was top 3 in the nation at one point...and Bo was able to keep some of those guys. There were a number of 1st round draft picks recruited by cally...I don't see those guys right now...including at QB where nearly every MR recruit ran off. The team is bad man...the fact some true froshs, and juco dudes can come in a start right away, and stand out, really points out how bad the talent is...the blowouts last year were part give up and part suck. One other thing, Bo sacrificed his chance to win championships by keeping Watson and the offense intact from Cally. He did this so he could use Ganz and recruit solely for the defensive side of the ball. Well, he ended up with Tmart as he savior and we all know how that ended. Frost is building this thing on a solid foundation, a foundation that will be consistent years from now. He won't be switch from west coach, to spread, to run spread every 2 years.

Last edited:
Nothing against Frost. I'm sure he will eventually figure it out. However, it does not take an idiot to realize that he should get the blame for losing the first two games. Quit making excuses and get real about it. What? the players play the .... Whatever. COACHING lost us the first 2 games. Hopefully his ego took a hit and he will learn from it.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Honestly I’m glad this is happening. Years back we’d do “really well” for a stretch only to be exposed and be found out as a paper tiger. Gotta fix that bad and it’s hard to do/be patient for (as us fans) with a sleezy W. But now we’re weeding that stuff out and will become an actual football team again. Presumably.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Honestly I’m glad this is happening. Years back we’d do “really well” for a stretch only to be exposed and be found out as a paper tiger. Gotta fix that bad and it’s hard to do/be patient for (as us fans) with a sleezy W. But now we’re weeding that stuff out and will become an actual football team again. Presumably.
I am not happy this is happening. I would rather we were 3-0. However, I think your main point is valid. This program is way, way down. The talent on the offensive line is the worst I have ever seen, as just one example. We were all "shocked" by the NIU loss last year and are now screaming "losing to Troy is inexcusable! We are Nebraska!" As a fan base we really are living in the past with our heads up our ass. "Iowa sucks!" "Colorado sucks!" we chant and trash their programs as beneath us. "No way they are our rivals!" Correct. Because they are better than we are right now. We have no rivals. You have to be competitive to have rivals.

We all need to step back from the cliff and stop all of this Frost bashing nonsense. If we are still playing like this in three years, then fine. Criticize away. But we are 2 freaking games into his tenure. And quite frankly, our team is nowhere near the talent level it needs to be to get us back. We are all guilty of star gazing and noticing that we have "out recruited" teams in the West according to the rankings. News flash: no, we haven't out recruited anyone. We really do lack talent in key places (offensive line, defensive line, and cornerback, in particular).

So yes, in many ways going 0-2 has exposed all of this and exposed our Frost frenzy as delusional. I love Frost. I think he is going to be our next great coach. But I think he is a victim of our unrealistic expectations as a fan base. I too shared those delusions. But many on here want to blame him for our mistake prone play. But the reality is that players who only have average to below average talent make lots of mistakes when they feel the pressure to live up to standards that were established (and then died) here before they were born. They are pressing and stressing. They are playing tight and nervous. Players with superior talent play with calm confidence. Swagger. Loose.

You know what I wish? I wish we would box up all of those trophies and awards and player jerseys in the trophy room and put them in storage. I wish we would hang instead photos of every one of our humiliating losses over the past 17 years. I wish we would get rid of the damn tunnel walk and the balloons and the smoke and fireworks and flyovers and "let me clear my throat". I wish our sellout streak would just end already. In other words, I wish that all of these external props that keep us all living in the past and propping up our fan base egos and perpetuating the "we are Nebraska!" bullshit would go away. Then we could face the reality of where our program really is and start again.

Until then.... stop all of this completely irrational trashing of Frost. This is going to take time

Last edited:
I am not happy this is happening. I would rather we were 3-0. However, I think your main point is valid. This program is way, way down. The talent on the offensive line is the worst I have ever seen, as just one example. We were all "shocked" by the NIU loss last year and are now screaming "losing to Troy is inexcusable! We are Nebraska!" As a fan base we really are living in the past with our heads up our ass. "Iowa sucks!" "Colorado sucks!" we chant and trash their programs as beneath us. "No way they are our rivals!" Correct. Because they are better than we are right now. We have no rivals. You have to be competitive to have rivals.

We all need to step back from the cliff and stop all of this Frost bashing nonsense. If we are still playing like this in three years, then fine. Criticize away. But we are 2 freaking games into his tenure. And quite frankly, our team is nowhere near the talent level it needs to be to get us back. We are all guilty of star gazing and noticing that we have "out recruited" teams in the West according to the rankings. News flash: no, we haven't out recruited anyone. We really do lack talent in key places (offensive line, defensive line, and cornerback, in particular).

So yes, in many ways going 0-2 has exposed all of this and exposed our Frost frenzy as delusional. I love Frost. I think he is going to be our next great coach. But I think he is a victim of our unrealistic expectations as a fan base. I too shared those delusions. But many on here want to blame him for our mistake prone play. But the reality is that players who only have average to below average talent make lots of mistakes when they feel the pressure to live up to standards established (and then died) here before they were born. They are pressing and stressing. They are playing tight and nervous. Players with superior talent play with calm confidence. Swagger. Loose.

You know what I wish? I wish we would box up all of those trophies and awards and player jerseys in the trophy room and put them in storage. I wish we would hang instead photos of every one of our humiliating losses over the past 17 years. I wish we would get rid of the damn tunnel walk and the balloons and the smoke and fireworks and flyovers and "let me clear my throat". I wish our sellout streak would just end already. In other words, I wish that all of these external props that keep us all living in the past and propping up our fan base egos and perpetuating the "we are Nebraska!" bullshit would go away. Then we could face the reality of where our program really is and start again.

Until then.... stop all of this completely irrational trashing of Frost. This is going to take time

Wow....excellent post sir. I too got into a frenzy after seeing the CU game.......thinking that SF had miraculously transformed our OLine to a "very good" rating. Wrong.....dead wrong. We looked horrible as we've been for so long. With a inept OLine & a 3rd string back-up qb.....well, it's no surprise.

Yep. It's going to take some time as we've got a long, LONG ways to go.

Wow....excellent post sir. I too got into a frenzy after seeing the CU game.......thinking that SF had miraculously transformed our OLine to a "very good" rating. Wrong.....dead wrong. We looked horrible as we've been for so long. With a inept OLine & a 3rd string back-up qb.....well, it's no surprise.

Yep. It's going to take some time as we've got a long, LONG ways to go.

And the thought of our OLine going against Michigan's defense next week......God help us.

And the thought of our OLine going against Michigan's defense next week......God help us.

their DL was getting gouged by ND, and the past 2 ND games haven't showed them to be anything special (outside of their ranking).

We'll need AM, but we could beat them

Reactions: HuskerO
The cup board is bare at QB we only have one scholarship QB the rest of the Riley QB couldn’t run the system or left because they only wanted to start.
I get that, but that's not on Riley. Also the "QB cupboard is bare" excuse didn't fly for Riley.

Not seeing the game today and only reading this board, I believe with AM we win. That’s not to throw Bunch under the bus, but AM would have made Troy pay all day.

We lost to Troy. Never should have happened. We play them tomorrow, even with Bunch, we win, if we clean it up.

It’s hard to win games when you are shooting yourself in the foot over and over again. Doesn’t matter who you are.
Absolutely. Bunch tried his best, but Martinez is on a totally different level. We beat Troy by 14+ with Martinez.

What happened to giving Frost the patience of building his team? Get off his ass, the man will produce. We wanted him & we got him. Believe in what Coach Frost is building.
Get these mistake prone losses out of the way early. GBR!
No one is calling for Frost to be fired and he'll get his minimum of 5 years as he should. But it doesn't mean he's above criticism when his team is playing like crap. The man was 2017 COY so you expect just a little bit more out of him than his predecessor.

I get that, but that's not on Riley. Also the "QB cupboard is bare" excuse didn't fly for Riley.

Riley never had the results that warranted any benefit of the doubt unlike the previous coaching hires.

EVERYONE was either pissed off or lodged in WTFudge mode when the living median integer was hired, unless you were an apple pie in the sky guy.

Can't believe some on this board. JC. Two games into the Frost era, and half this board already wants his head on a platter. Shit
One thing to remember is there are many that had a stake in the previous staffs that coached NU. So they will scrutinize every little mistake that is made. Also many could be fans of other teams trying to stir the pot.

Riley never had the results that warranted any benefit of the doubt unlike the previous coaching hires.

EVERYONE was either pissed off or lodged in WTFudge mode when the living median integer was hired, unless you were an apple pie in the sky guy.
My posts on Riley here aren't to justify his terrible results or even claim he was a good hire. I'm bringing him up because some think it's his fault or part to blame that we lost to Troy.

Michigan? Ohio St? Penn St? Sure lay some blame on Riley for not being at the same level as those programs, but on a team like Troy...

One thing to remember is there are many that had a stake in the previous staffs that coached NU. So they will scrutinize every little mistake that is made. Also many could be fans of other teams trying to stir the pot.
Not scrutinizing every little mistake. Just the large glaring mistakes that are easy to fix. 1) Hang on to the ball and 2) stop with all the penalties.

A national coach of the year can do that.

If Tommy Armstrong left Nebraska and followed Pelini and left Mike Riley high and Dry with no scholarship QB except for a True Freshman QB, Riley wouldn’t have even won 19 games in 3 years at Nebraska...

If Tommy Armstrong left Nebraska and followed Pelini and left Mike Riley high and Dry with no scholarship QB except for a True Freshman QB, Riley wouldn’t have even won 19 games in 3 years at Nebraska...
Probably not.

Still doesn't change anything I said which is the bare QB situation isnt on Riley (nor is it on Frost) and the bare QB excuse didn't fly for Riley (Fyfe being the only backup).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT