ADVERTISEMENT

This season will suck, but we’ll be fine.

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
This season’s disastrous start is basically just a combination of the lingering Mike Riley stench and our lack of quarterbacks. Frost will get the players he needs and turn the program around. He’s a proven winner. Don’t despair.

This season is what you would expect when new coaches inherit a 4 win team (that had quit last year) and have to play a walk on quarterback.

The off season optimism and hype outran reality.

Exactly, I’m not worried one bit. This is only year 1. We All KNEW this season could be rough or even bad (although I think most hoped it would be better). We had a complete dumpster fire under Riley and everything fell apart. We all knew this would take time to fix and get going. There is no instant fix to our issues we had. Frost will get this ship right and I’m still excited for our future. We will be fine, Mark it down.

Pelini was able to overcome Callahan's stench, but Frost can't overcome Riley's stench?

Exactly, I’m not worried one bit. This is only year 1. We All KNEW this season could be rough or even bad (although I think most hoped it would be better). We had a complete dumpster fire under Riley and everything fell apart. We all knew this would take time to fix and get going. There is no instant fix to our issues we had. Frost will get this ship right and I’m still excited for our future. We will be fine, Mark it down.
Take time to get Nebraska back to competing for the BIG10, not for beating Troy.

Reactions: husker2612
I imagine most of the “sky is falling” post are from the fans that’s have had a pop or 2 (buzzed walking the dig now)

Most people come Sunday afternoon will agree we are gonna have growing pains this year

Reactions: Can o' corn
Callahan left Bo a cupboard full of talent all over the place, Riley didn’t. Riley got us some good to decent players but he also let everything completely fall apart. In all honesty, Callahan just needed a DC and would have been fine. Two different storms and two different messes. Riley’s mess was bad, bad.

This turnaround will be gradual. But I believe it will happen this year. The team will beat someone good and it will click. We will wish we could play CU and Troy again. But we will establish something for next year. I’m in for the long haul and give this staff a long runway.

I imagine most of the “sky is falling” post are from the fans that’s have had a pop or 2 (buzzed walking the dig now)

Most people come Sunday afternoon will agree we are gonna have growing pains this year
Yes, the whining is ridiculous. If Martinez hadn't gotten injure we'd be 2-0 right now. Instead we should have kept Riley and Frost is a massive egotist who doesn't know what he's doing. When things turn around all of these whiners will claim they were behind the team the whole time. Bandwagon fans make me want to puke...

I simply wanted a bowl game to get the extra month of practice in order to hit next season running. 6 wins isn’t looking likely. Missing out on those practices is a big deal

Recruiting on the basis of optimism for the future is also tougher if there hasn’t been demonstrable progress.

Yes, the whining is ridiculous. If Martinez hadn't gotten injure we'd be 2-0 right now. Instead we should have kept Riley and Frost is a massive egotist who doesn't know what he's doing. When things turn around all of these whiners will claim they were behind the team the whole time. Bandwagon fans make me want to puke...

Fully agreed there. Dead on.

This turnaround will be gradual. But I believe it will happen this year. The team will beat someone good and it will click. We will wish we could play CU and Troy again. But we will establish something for next year. I’m in for the long haul and give this staff a long runway.

I agree on everything except beating someone good this year. It’s possible, but we would need Martinez at full speed.

They said the same about Rich Rod at Michigan, Charlie Strong at Texas, Dan Hawkins at Colorado.

But I will say this, if Frost can't bring us back to relevancy, I'm not sure there is a single coach out there that can. He was the closest to a slam-dunk hire as we will ever get (National Coach of the Year, former player here, top scoring offense in the nation). If we're not relevant in 4 years, we might as well just fold up the program.

Reactions: CatColumbia
What this shows is how hard it is to win games on a consistent basis. It makes Bo look even more impressive at being consistent (sadly not amazing)

Reactions: IUHusker
Can't believe some on this board. JC. Two games into the Frost era, and half this board already wants his head on a platter. Shit

After the early Colorado mistakes, Frost’s offense got rolling and gave us a glimpse of the future. I’m excited.

The present, with our lack of qbs, is painful though.

Proud to have Frost leading the program. Our struggles hurt him as much as us, if not more so.

Look, we all expected more. If you say you didn’t, well, you’re lying. I thought we’d be at worst 2-1 right now.

We’re not as good as I thought we’d be, but we’re not as bad as some are saying on this board. Yes, we have to recruit a lot more talent—nothing we can do this year. We’ve looked good at times and pretty weak at times. I think there’s a lot of things you can point to, but nothing that’s insurmountable. I still believe SF gets us there. Start preparing for Michigan. I’m out.

The posters that predicted this year would be a struggle were at times ceremoniously sacrificed by all the sunshiners - many of these same sunshiners are all over the board now preaching restraint after they spent all off season throwing gasoline on the small spark of expectations turning it into a raging inferno.

Go back and read some threads - someone had the audacity to start a thread declaring 7-5 as the ceiling this year and was voted off the island.

Don’t yell from the mountain top that this team is going to be highly competitive because of .... well .... FROST ....and then act dismayed when some are asking “what the hell?” when we are 0-2 against subpar teams after you spend all off season raising the bar

Maybe in the future we should just STFU rather than putting the entire college football world on notice before we have played a single game.

Last edited:
Look, we all expected more. If you say you didn’t, well, you’re lying. I thought we’d be at worst 2-1 right now.

We’re not as good as I thought we’d be, but we’re not as bad as some are saying on this board. Yes, we have to recruit a lot more talent—nothing we can do this year. We’ve looked good at times and pretty weak at times. I think there’s a lot of things you can point to, but nothing that’s insurmountable. I still believe SF gets us there. Start preparing for Michigan. I’m out.
You probably wouldn't have predicted 3-0 or 2-1 had you known that we'd be playing our 3rd string quarterback. These are just growing pains. It's going to take time to overcome the mess that Riley left behind but we're most assuredly going to be fine. This staff didn't suddenly forget how to do its job.

After what happened in Madison today there's no reason to think that we can't compete for the west. When AM comes back the offense is going to be scary. That will help the defense. Clean up the penalties, work on the turnovers, and work on special teams. Plenty of season left in a down western side of the conference.

Last edited:

After Gebbia left, I told friends 5 wins, but I also said it would be worse if Martinez got injured. Well, he got injured game 1.

I wish our staff had stocked our qb position better, but it is what it is.

Reactions: IUHusker and jlb321
The posters that predicted this year would be a struggle were at times ceremoniously sacrificed by all the sunshiners - many of these same sunshiners are all over the board now preaching restraint after they spent all off season throwing gasoline on the small spark of expectations turning it into a raging inferno.

Go back and read some threads - someone had the audacity to start a thread declaring 7-5 as the ceiling this year and was voted off the island.

Don’t yell from the mountain top that this team is going to be highly competitive because of .... well .... FROST ....and then act dismayed when some are asking “what the hell?” when we are 0-2 against subpar teams after you spend all off season raising the bar

Maybe in the future we should just STFU rather than putting the entire college football world on notice before we have played a single game.
If anyone should be saying, “What the hell?” It’s the sunshine pumpers... the rest of you should simply be saying, “I told you so.”

Funny how a couple of losses have turned these roles on their heads.

Reactions: jlb321
Doesn't matter. There are plenty of talented players on this team to beat Troy.
HuskerO, we generally think alike on most husker football topics... I normally would agree with you, and do agree that we have the players to beat Troy... what we are lacking, it appears, is the culture. It will change, but apparently it is optimistic to think the change would happen this soon in the first season.

Reactions: HuskerO
Pelini never went undefeated or beat a team like Auburn in his second year (or any year).

In his first year he also inherited a good offense and had elite players on hand for his defense.

Poor comparison.
We're talking about Nebraska so its comparable because they're both (were) coaches at Nebraska. They both followed crappy coaching.

You're telling me the cupboard is so bare that we cant even beat Troy?

We're talking about Nebraska so its comparable because they're both (were) coaches at Nebraska. They both followed crappy coaching.

The issue isn’t just talent. It’s culture. As much as I wanted Riley to succeed, he didn’t build a winning culture. Frost is working to change that, but it is taking longer than any of us want it to.

Reactions: Can o' corn
You wouldn’t understand. But I see some people have tried regardless. Read their responses s-l-o-w-l-y.
I have and no one has told me anything. Unless they believe we don't have enough talent to beat a team like Troy.

We could beat Troy with what we have, sure. We didn’t. It’s game 2 with a new staff and walk on qb. It’s not the end of the world.

Yeah, we complain about Callahan and Riley not winning with what they got and here we are 0-2. Should have ran more in this circumstance. Control the clock and minimize potential mistakes. Washington is a beast and needs to be ridden as far as he can go! Get some meat on him and double his carries. Championship game here we come.

Reactions: HuskerO
HuskerO, we generally think alike on most husker football topics... I normally would agree with you, and do agree that we have the players to beat Troy... what we are lacking, it appears, is the culture. It will change, but apparently it is optimistic to think the change would happen this soon in the first season.
I'm with ya, but we've been lacking good culture for the past 15 years.

We'll be fine under Frost in the long run. I truly believe that. But some putting this loss on Riley is absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: SkerInCo

They were accused of having low expectations so they felt better about how the season went if it wasnt good. They were called liars, essentially, by the butthurt coalition of riley lovers.

Reactions: bshirt73
The issue isn’t just talent. It’s culture. As much as I wanted Riley to succeed, he didn’t build a winning culture. Frost is working to change that, but it is taking longer than any of us want it to.
We were one year removed from a 9 win season (2016). How is one really crappy season (2017) now a culture?

Yes, the culture needs to be changed still and that will take some time to be nationally relevant. Our lack of elite culture isn't why we lost today nor is Riley to blame for this particularly loss.

They were accused of having low expectations so they felt better about how the season went if it wasnt good. They were called liars, essentially, by the butthurt coalition of riley lovers.
And their plan is now working!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT