ADVERTISEMENT

This season will suck, but we’ll be fine.

their DL was getting gouged by ND, and the past 2 ND games haven't showed them to be anything special (outside of their ranking).

We'll need AM, but we could beat them

What were you watching? ND completed some 50/50 long balls

They (Mich) played a top 10 team on the road - they gave up 300 total yards and 2.8 yards per carry - how were they getting “gouged”?

We aren’t even 24 hours from our offensive line getting their asses handed to them by Troy and someone is already posting about how unimpressed they are with Michigan’s def line

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
What were you watching? ND completed some 50/50 long balls

They (Mich) played a top 10 team on the road - they gave up 300 total yards and 2.8 yards per carry - how were they getting “gouged”?

We aren’t even 24 hours from our offensive line getting their asses handed to them by Troy and someone is already posting about how unimpressed they are with Michigan’s def line

top 10 team that barely beat Ball State and Vandy. Got it.... /s

Okay, that makes more sense.

But we're talking about QB depth I thought.

That too, he had AJ Bush besides Ryker Fife..
And he had a Junior returning QB...

If Riley wanted his passing QB for his system why didn’t he start Patrick O’Brien over TA in his second year..That was the luxury Riley had was an experienced QB..

Frost had no returning QB coming back and with Zero starting experience,when Lee left who wouldn’t have started anyway in this system and scheme..

If Riley wanted his passing QB for his system why didn’t he start Patrick O’Brien over TA in his second year..That was the luxury Riley had was an experienced QB..

Frost had no returning QB coming back and with Zero starting experience,when Lee left who wouldn’t have started anyway in this system and scheme..

Not directed at you specifically but few were concerned about the QB situation prior to the season and those that were were gently patted on the head and told we just didn’t have enough faith in Frost.

Reactions: scarletred
THE BEST FANS IN THE NATION. This program is what it is because of our great fans. We are second to none and we prove that every week, every year.

We are not fair weather and we will not let this thing collapse.

Frost is a fan just like us. Actually he’s taken his fandom to the highest level. He got in to coaching to fix the program he loves. Stick with Frost, stick with our team. This season might suck so far but if anyone will bring us back, it’ll be our guy Frost!

Pelini was able to overcome Callahan's stench, but Frost can't overcome Riley's stench?
Callahan left Pelini a BUNCH of future NFL draft pics and a QB who had started some games. On top of that, Pelini retained Callahan's OC which even though it was Watson, it was a HUGE advantage for Joey Ganz to have the same QB coach and OC. This isn't so much about "Riley's stench" as it is about a total overhaul of systems and roster. We're playing some guys who have never even played in a D-1 game before. JMHO.

Reactions: bigredhunter
Agree.

My main gripe from today was our o line. As soon as Bunch snapped the ball he had pressure.
The right side of our line in particular had some struggles. To be fair, one of the things Troy is known for is their multiple fronts and the confusion it causes an offense. Couple that with a first time playing (not just starting) QB and you get what we got. That said, WE STILL SHOULD HAVE WON THAT GAME, if not for all the penalties. The punt return TD was a back breaker. Losing Mo Barry on the targeting was HUGE. Couple that with the holding call on Spielman's TD catch and the game is different. Once again a key stupid penalty cost us dearly. Penalties, turnovers, and special teams. Those are all items that shouldn't be that hard to fix IMO. Unfortunately its the same story as last week. It wasn't the talent (other than QB) on the field IMO, it was the execution of the plan by our players. IMO, this team will grow and get better as they get experience.

I did not expect to dominate Troy with a 3rd-string walk-on QB. I get it.

But Troy's QB was a zero-star recruit making his first ever road start in front of 90k hostile fans. They lost their 4-year starting QB from last year. It's not like we got beat by seasoned veteran QB and team. Troy is a young team that go walloped at home by Boise.

But Troy's QB was a zero-star recruit making his first ever road start in front of 90k hostile fans. They lost their 4-year starting QB from last year. It's not like we got beat by seasoned veteran QB and team. Troy is a young team that go walloped at home by Boise.
Unfortunately Mo Barry's backup didn't play like Mo Barry. They attacked that position as soon as he went out of the game. Losing Barry was a really bad deal but overall the penalties and turnovers were what doomed us. TWO penalties IMO cost us the game.

Their QB was in their system for 2 years and this was his 3rd start. Their QB didn't beat us. Mo Barry getting thrown out along with multiple other stupid penalties beat us. Mo's replacement made some key mistakes on D. TWO less penalties on key plays and we win the game.

Reactions: timnsun and HuskerO

Riley had 1 returning starter with really only Fyfe for backup so no depth.

Frost had no returning starters and ended up with only Bunch for a backup so no depth.

It can be true that both Riley and Frost had no QB depth (bare QB cupboard) in year 1.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Callahan left Pelini a BUNCH of future NFL draft pics and a QB who had started some games. On top of that, Pelini retained Callahan's OC which even though it was Watson, it was a HUGE advantage for Joey Ganz to have the same QB coach and OC. This isn't so much about "Riley's stench" as it is about a total overhaul of systems and roster. We're playing some guys who have never even played in a D-1 game before. JMHO.
Agree, it shouldn't be about Riley's stench when we're talking about the Troy loss. The reason Frost is having a tough first season isn't because of Riley and really some of it is out of Frost's control these first couple of years.

I think people forget the large roster turnover we have had, the less than ideal circumstances to start the season, the new coaching staff and system, culture shift... frost repeatedly saying we are going to do things the right way which will take longer to where they want to get and so on and so on. If anyone thought we would come out and play mistake free football to the begin the season, they are delusional. I mean really all those things aside, when was the last time wins or losses, that this program hadn't tried their very best to beat themselves. For me, its so long ago I honestly, can't remember.

Could we have expected to win every game, thus far? yes! But everyone should have known that all these games were going to be tight and in tight games you need things to go your way, you need some breaks, they haven't quite happened yet. This team is getting a huge does of reality, in a long run that will be a good thing if they respond to it the right way. Make no mistake... Akron (even though we didn't play would have been a tough game to win), Colorado, and Troy are all good teams and reaping the benefits of established cultures...

I am not happy this is happening. I would rather we were 3-0. However, I think your main point is valid. This program is way, way down. The talent on the offensive line is the worst I have ever seen, as just one example. We were all "shocked" by the NIU loss last year and are now screaming "losing to Troy is inexcusable! We are Nebraska!" As a fan base we really are living in the past with our heads up our ass. "Iowa sucks!" "Colorado sucks!" we chant and trash their programs as beneath us. "No way they are our rivals!" Correct. Because they are better than we are right now. We have no rivals. You have to be competitive to have rivals.

We all need to step back from the cliff and stop all of this Frost bashing nonsense. If we are still playing like this in three years, then fine. Criticize away. But we are 2 freaking games into his tenure. And quite frankly, our team is nowhere near the talent level it needs to be to get us back. We are all guilty of star gazing and noticing that we have "out recruited" teams in the West according to the rankings. News flash: no, we haven't out recruited anyone. We really do lack talent in key places (offensive line, defensive line, and cornerback, in particular).

So yes, in many ways going 0-2 has exposed all of this and exposed our Frost frenzy as delusional. I love Frost. I think he is going to be our next great coach. But I think he is a victim of our unrealistic expectations as a fan base. I too shared those delusions. But many on here want to blame him for our mistake prone play. But the reality is that players who only have average to below average talent make lots of mistakes when they feel the pressure to live up to standards that were established (and then died) here before they were born. They are pressing and stressing. They are playing tight and nervous. Players with superior talent play with calm confidence. Swagger. Loose.

You know what I wish? I wish we would box up all of those trophies and awards and player jerseys in the trophy room and put them in storage. I wish we would hang instead photos of every one of our humiliating losses over the past 17 years. I wish we would get rid of the damn tunnel walk and the balloons and the smoke and fireworks and flyovers and "let me clear my throat". I wish our sellout streak would just end already. In other words, I wish that all of these external props that keep us all living in the past and propping up our fan base egos and perpetuating the "we are Nebraska!" bullshit would go away. Then we could face the reality of where our program really is and start again.

Until then.... stop all of this completely irrational trashing of Frost. This is going to take time
Thank you for some sanity and clear-thinking! Fans need to have a slogan, something like: "We are ALL IN this for the long haul."

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yes, the whining is ridiculous. If Martinez hadn't gotten injure we'd be 2-0 right now. Instead we should have kept Riley and Frost is a massive egotist who doesn't know what he's doing. When things turn around all of these whiners will claim they were behind the team the whole time. Bandwagon fans make me want to puke...
Show me where I was whining?

If anyone should be saying, “What the hell?” It’s the sunshine pumpers... the rest of you should simply be saying, “I told you so.”

Funny how a couple of losses have turned these roles on their heads.

Sorta of like funny how you use to pump a ton of sunshine on Mike Riley’s staff and how me and you would consistently get into it every week over how I would say he was the worst thing ever to happen to the program. When he failed, and he failed miserably, I never said “I told you so Timnsun, you were dead wrong for backing a loser”. Well until now I guess cause I always knew regardless, we were on the same side.

Did I expect a national championship year 1? Hell no. Did I expect a 9 win season? Not really. Especially when they gave A.M. the starting gig and Gebbia left. I knew that was a mistake. But it was a mistake made by an honest man. A man who played QB and thought he was doing the right thing by letting his players no exactly the situation. A situation that a snake like Nick Saban lies and tells his QBs they are even when they are clearly not.

I believe in karma and I believe that eventually that kind of honesty will be what builds Frost as a hero as a coach in Lincoln

Last edited:
Sorta of like funny how you use to pump a ton of sunshine on Mike Riley’s staff and how me and you would consistently get into it every week over how I would say he was the worst thing ever to happen to the program. When he failed, and he failed miserably, I never said “I told you so Timnsun, you were dead wrong for backing a loser”.
I will remember that always. I’ve always been a guy that says give the coaches a chance. And we had our fair share of battles. I wanted to believe he would be a good coach. But the simple truth is he wasn’t what I thought he would be.

I appreciate that you didn’t play the “I’m smarter than you card”. In the end, we are both fans of the same team and wanted the same thing. You’re a good man.

I do see the irony in JLB’s post, that the sunshine pumpers who have predicted 9 wins are now saying “well what did you expect?” And those who were saying 6 wins tops this year are the ones who are most upset.

Just made me laugh...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT