ADVERTISEMENT

Our Youth concerns me (OT)

One of the biggest differences I have noticed is when I get together with family during the holidays. Before cell phones everyone was talking to each other. Parents would be talking and watching football. Kids would be running around playing with each other. Now when we all get together, Only the family members over 50 seem to be talking while the rest are zombies on their phone. I couldn't wait to open presents when I was a kid, but now they seem to want to get it over with so they can get back to their phone.

I also loved technology growing up until the smart phone came out. Now all this technology seems to be about manipulation and spying on you.

And then there are people who think it's just the cycle were in. It's interesting to think but not sure how much I believe in it.

Off season so quick comment on an OT matter. I believe most of those that read this board at a minimum reside in America and frankly most were born here. We are Husker fans clearly by our frequenting of this page. What I want to ask is whether anyone here observes a decline in our youth or perhaps could they be accelerating? My sister is a teacher and says that most kids these days are matter of factly dumb. But was this always the case? Ultimately I think there is a Kenny Bell curve to consider. Some kids are going to be at the bottom and some at the top 10% whereas 80% might be what my sister classified as matter of factly dumb. It’s a pickle of a question but what say you?

Are kids today smarter than kids of yesteryear? Or is our youth matter of factly declining in intelligence?
Cue the peanut gallery with their favorite targets to blame for society’s real, perceived or just make believe problems.

Parents have decided sports and other non-educational pursuits are more important than working hard in school. The educational system is not at fault as it is the 70s and 80s kids that expected be handed a high paying job as a right instead of evolving and working for it… Their kids are just a reflection of that. We need to open the borders and ease Visa restrictions to get America back to its roots where competition drive high performance. Americans now expect their jobs to be safe and get paid a lot of money because they are Americans, not because they worked their way to greatness…. Start trying harder and things will improve…

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Parents have decided sports and other non-educational pursuits are more important than working hard in school. The educational system is not at fault as it is the 70s and 80s kids that expected be handed a high paying job as a right instead of evolving and working for it… Their kids are just a reflection of that. We need to open the borders and ease Visa restrictions to get America back to its roots where competition drive high performance. Americans now expect their jobs to be safe and get paid a lot of money because they are Americans, not because they worked their way to greatness…. Start trying harder and things will improve…
Finally, someone that understands it is the parents fault!

Kids these days have developed a learned helplessness. It’s astonishing to me the simple tasks, with guidance and directions , can not be attained. I am in a class A school system with an average of 27 students per class. These kids ( most, not all) do not have the problem solving skills that most kids in smaller schools do. They do not welcome a challenge, they loathe it. Makes for a miserable experience as an educator. When your entire life has been nothing but hand outs and coddling to the weak minded, this is the result. Nothing will change unless the parents want to make a difference. Parents need to show support for the purpose of their kids education. As soon as you lower the bar, students/parents will find a way to want it lower.

Reactions: resdog851
Kids these days have developed a learned helplessness. It’s astonishing to me the simple tasks, with guidance and directions , can not be attained. I am in a class A school system with an average of 27 students per class. These kids ( most, not all) do not have the problem solving skills that most kids in smaller schools do. They do not welcome a challenge, they loathe it. Makes for a miserable experience as an educator. When your entire life has been nothing but hand outs and coddling to the weak minded, this is the result. Nothing will change unless the parents want to make a difference. Parents need to show support for the purpose of their kids education. As soon as you lower the bar, students/parents will find a way to want it lower.
I think you and I agree. Kids have not changed, parents have changed.

Parents are the ones that **** shit up.

Oh boy you nailed it. Well said. And the phones are teachers now. Can't find the answer? Don't work it out or ask the teacher, just Google it. Surely Wikipedia knows everything.

Both have changed. Not just parents.

Sure, it’s the parents “fault.” It started with parents wanting better lives for their kids than they had, which is perfectly understandable. The problem is, you always have those people that take things too far or continually push the envelope. It gradually changed our world into a place where kids have no respect for authority, they want everything handed to them and they have no pride in an honest days work. Parents that coddled their kids and tried to shield them from the outside world turned their kids into overly sensitive, immature people that can’t handle the stresses of the real world.

When I was young, corporal punishment was accepted. In my parents house, if I got punished at school, my parents punished me as well, for misbehaving in school.

Because of fruit loops that confused getting your butt whipped as “abuse,” and idiots that roll their neck and scream, “you can’t treat my baby like that,” and don’t instill the principles of respectfulness and respectability, we’ve gotten to this point where kids are disrespectful.
These kids don’t show up to work on time, if they show up at all. They can’t deal with the real world and real responsibility. Technology and Social Media exacerbated this issue of an already degrading society.

Reactions: TOMHP
Oh boy you nailed it. Well said. And the phones are teachers now. Can't find the answer? Don't work it out or ask the teacher, just Google it. Surely Wikipedia knows everything.
It's getting even worse. Now you don't even have to spend time searching multiple sites on google. Soon kids will be learning everything from AI sources like ChatGPT which only gives one answer and tells them what to think.

If there is ever a widescale internet outage that lasts for over a week, we are going to see chaos because millions of people won't know how to survive with out it.

Reactions: Wizouski

Sure, it’s the parents “fault.” It started with parents wanting better lives for their kids than they had, which is perfectly understandable. The problem is, you always have those people that take things too far or continually push the envelope. It gradually changed our world into a place where kids have no respect for authority, they want everything handed to them and they have no pride in an honest days work. Parents that coddled their kids and tried to shield them from the outside world turned their kids into overly sensitive, immature people that can’t handle the stresses of the real world.

When I was young, corporal punishment was accepted. In my parents house, if I got punished at school, my parents punished me as well, for misbehaving in school.

Because of fruit loops that confused getting your butt whipped as “abuse,” and idiots that roll their neck and scream, “you can’t treat my baby like that,” and don’t instill the principles of respectfulness and respectability, we’ve gotten to this point where kids are disrespectful.
These kids don’t show up to work on time, if they show up at all. They can’t deal with the real world and real responsibility. Technology and Social Media exacerbated this issue of an already degrading society.
Yeah but that is still all on the parents.

Everything you pointed out is pretty much 99% on the parents.

I think we pretty much agree for the most part.

Reactions: drubendall
Yeah but that is still all on the parents.

Everything you pointed out is pretty much 99% on the parents.

I think we pretty much agree for the most part.
It is still on both. It’s a generational legacy deal where it is passed down the family tree. Each time the children become parents, the degradation increases.
How we break that cycle is the biggest hurdle we face now.

It is still on both. It’s a generational legacy deal where it is passed down the family tree. Each time the children become parents, the degradation increases.
How we break that cycle is the biggest hurdle we face now.
Breaking the cycle requires one individual wanting better for their own children.

Last edited:
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

You should meet my kids. Pretty awesome. They lap their weaker peers with their high standards and a commitment to excellence. They love their mom, but she is not easy on them.

Today's 18 year olds have the maturity of 12-year-olds from 30 years ago. Try seeing the world through that lens for a week and I think you'll agree. There are exceptions of course. But I'm blown away when I meet one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT