ADVERTISEMENT

The state of husker football

spinner4

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
Please someone tell me that a bunch of posts about the game last night were deleted or something. This is the lowest traffic/talk I've seen on this board after a football game. I've seen more traffic about basketball games then this. You can say what you want but I've been coming to this site after games since 2002 and this is the lowest posting I've seen. I've always said, fans bitching about husker football is not when to worry. It's when people stop carrying and aren't bitching anymore because they just aren't talking about it anymore. Even RSS chatter is down. I'm actually concerned now. Maybe it's the holiday. Maybe it's the fact that we played well in the second. Maybe it's that most people only know how to critic about the bad and don't know how to critic on th good things...

Some of us will always have the fire in us for husker football but somethings not the same right now. This year is the turning point. The faith in Riley, Banker, but mostly Eichorst is pretty bleak for a lot of fans. It's do or die this year. If faith is not restored this year, one of those 3 will be fired. But faith has to be restored. It's no longer just really shaky, a ton of people just don't care any more or as much.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Please someone tell me that a bunch of posts about the game last night were deleted or something. This is the lowest traffic/talk I've seen on this board after a football game. I've seen more traffic about basketball games then this. You can say what you want but I've been coming to this site after games since 2002 and this is the lowest posting I've seen. I've always said, fans bitching about husker football is not when to worry. It's when people stop carrying and aren't bitching anymore because they just aren't talking about it anymore. Even RSS chatter is down. I'm actually concerned now. Maybe it's the holiday. Maybe it's the fact that we played well in the second. Maybe it's that most people only know how to critic about the bad and don't know how to critic on th good things...

Some of us will always have the fire in us for husker football but somethings not the same right now. This year is the turning point. The faith in Riley, Banker, but mostly Eichorst is pretty bleak for a lot of fans. It's do or die this year. If faith is not restored this year, one of those 3 will be fired. But faith has to be restored. It's no longer just really shaky, a ton of people just don't care any more or as much.

LOL

We won. Maybe next week you can put your pitchfork to use. The break will allow you to smooth out any lumps in your cauldron of tar. Do you have a solid straight rail that can support multiple staff/administration folks? You better get busy!

Wow amazed at the number of people making sweeping judgments after ONE game and it was a blow out. Might be time to leave the board for the season again, gets tiresome reading all the program builders.

In my short time here I've come to realize, just wait till the first loss. There seems to be a faction of this fan base that expect 60 minutes of execution; as if perfection for the entire game is what Nebraska is about.

When there's good news, limited discussion. It's just the opposite when there's bad news.

1-0, on to Wyoming.

I was actually thinking same thing. I don't take it any way good, or bad. Just an observation I noticed. I have been on this board for 8 years. This was by far the less chatter after a game. I think the problem might be is, those that are passionate are still passionate. The problem is there isnt as many new younger fans coming on board that passion train. They may follow the huskers and want them to win, they just don't make it a priority to watch the games or talk about it after. The kids under 30 don't remember the great years, those are the years that built that passion in most of us that are over that age range.
There is no denying that passion for the Huskers is falling. Want proof just look at ticket sales. I remember wanting to get season tickets years ago and having to wait on a list for years. Now the university is basically begging people to take them, so they can keep their sellout streak active.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
If we beat Ohio State, MIchigan State, Oregon, Wisconsin, Iowa this year then there will be plenty of people on the board. If we lose to those teams the stadium will still be full because we will be competitive. Message board purveyors represent a tiny portion and the most "fanatic" of the supporters. Having less "fanatic" fans is probably healthy for all.

Reactions: HuskerO
From what I have seen this board is the least busy in terms of posting of the major husker forums ....huskerboard and max have plenty

or they're beset with the reality that we actually won.
I was also thinking low traffic on checking last night. MAYBE WE ARE MISSING WHAT MAY be the elephant in the room. MISSING SAM had a profound effect; this may just be a factor.

These boards are plenty busy after a loss or even a close game to a team that shouldn't have been close. Believe me, if the slow first half had continued into the second and the game ended up much closer, there would be A LOT more posts.

It's something I've noticed over many years on this board and just the internet in general, people like to complain a heck of a lot more than they like to discuss good stuff. So after a pretty easy win, not too much talk right after the game. I would also point out that the game got over kind of late, some people may have chosen, since there was nothing they immediately needed to get off their chest, to just wait until the next day to discuss it. If the game had been an 11:00 or 2:30 game, I'm sure you would have seen more discussion right after the game.

No doubt the traffic here has been down a lot since after the new staff got hired. It is down on other sites too. I think part of it is there are more social media options to chat about the Cornhuskers, and part of it is the thrill of internet message boards is gone. Basically you are either a "sunshine pumper" and you get tired of the negativity because you are in denial that NU could be much better, but isn't; or you are a doom and gloomer and can't understand why the sunshine pumpers aren't angry NU doesn't run the option and win national titles every couple years.

LOL

We won. Maybe next week you can put your pitchfork to use. The break will allow you to smooth out any lumps in your cauldron of tar. Do you have a solid straight rail that can support multiple staff/administration folks? You better get busy!
Still using that pitchfork reference, I see.

It's a shame all of us can not be as dimwitted as you. My life would SEEM exponentially better.

Now, remember to buy the wood chips for your Traeger grill when you're at costco, you walking-talking cliche.

Nonsense. You hit upon the reason in the last two sentences of the first paragraph. As soon as we started playing well in the second half, people started shutting up. I've noticed this for years, especially when we make a big come back to win a game-there are tons of posts b!tching about things when we are playing bad and once we start coming back, people shut up. And how pathetic is that? I never post in or even read the in-game threads until the game is over for that specific reason-because they exist primarily for people to pi$$ and moan. Every single mistake is magnified a thousand times and everything done right is dismissed out of hand. Maybe if people worked on their attitude a little bit in those in-game threads you'd have more discussion. It's the blind, angry pessimistic nonsense that has scared people away-not the way the team is playing.
This idea that faith in the coaches and Eichorst is pretty bleak for a lot of fans is far from universally shared by people I hear from. Of course not everybody believes in them, but it's no different than it is with any coach. There were plenty of people who were worried about a young coach with no head coaching experience named Tom Osborne for many years too. You have always been one of the most consistently negative and pessimistic people on here regardless of coach, so you always view everything from that prism. People have been banging this drum of "nobody cares anymore" for years too. It's almost as if some of you want it to be true so bad for some reason that you keep telling yourself that it's true. Does interest wax and wane somewhat with how good the team is at the time? Sure. That's sports. We're not immune to it nor should we be. But it's not as if we're losing people permanently. Those same people that claim they don't care now will be the first to claim they had been with the team all along when we're back on the national map again. We have fair weather fans just like any other team does. I believe we just happen to have more of the die-hard fans than most other teams.
Last night was also about much more than football too. I'm sure there were some people as well that wanted to just soak in the atmosphere of honoring a great young man than posting in a thread filled with people who thought complaining about the team's play was more important.

Still using that pitchfork reference, I see.

It's a shame all of us can not be as dimwitted as you. My life would SEEM exponentially better.

Now, remember to buy the wood chips for your Traeger grill when you're at costco, you walking-talking cliche.

Don't you have some puppies to drown?

never trust a guy that doesn't know a Traeger uses wood PELLETS. Wood Chips go in a standard Smoker like a Green Egg and such, and are usually soaked in water, wine or beer to create a smoldering effect.

Well, I now know that he goes to Costco. Or maybe that's works for Costco. o_O

I had a mod politely suggest I not post when drinking. That advice has served me well.
maxresdefault.jpg

I went out to a sports bar last night in Omaha and was kind of shocked at how empty it was. Me and my friends couldn't believe that even by game time it was hard we filled up.

Traffic is probably less because some have probably become tired of the chicken little posts.

Not only that but perhaps people are tired of being labeled by the comments that they make when posting. You are either labeled a kool aid drinker or a bitter fan that is not happy with the coaching change depending on what is said. Getting called out by someone in this forum is also something that I think that a lot of people want to avoid.

For some winning 9 games will be a monumental improvement, for others it would be returning to a level just a little bit north of mediocrity. Take your pick, now throw in some insults and derogatory comments. Welcome to Nebraska football discussions. Who wouldn't want to join in?

with winning comes more caring. back when being in the top ten was the norm a person could take time to know who the players are 3 deep. now it's more like lets know if the first string can get the job done. It will be interesting how this team progresses. they seem to be at a point where they can progress or self destruct. if they play to their ability we could compete for a big 10 title, or the wheels could come off and it would be like last year. I do like having a sane person as head coach, and not having all the nonsensical bo drama. that alone should help the team focus more on what needs to be done.

Reactions: Crushinator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT