ADVERTISEMENT

The rich just keep getting richer

Cam82huskers

Walk On
Jan 30, 2017
The rich just keep getting richer. It makes very nauseated that Patrick Surtain Jr signed with Alabama yesterday. I wonder how much money Saban paid him to come or what kind of vehicle he got

The rich just keep getting richer. It makes very nauseated that Patrick Surtain Jr signed with Alabama yesterday. I wonder how much money Saban paid him to come or what kind of vehicle he got
So paying a player a couple thousand and letting him drive a car for a few years is wrong? But giving Blo 25 million over 7 years, plus a massive buyout, giving Smilin Mike 10 million and watch him take a 50k coaching job, or fans paying 100 million so an AD and admin, and Pepsi, and adidas, and all the other parasites that make millions off the program is right? If we are going to invest in something so trivial and stupid we better go all the way...What ever Alabama is doing they have been doing since 2007 , a full decade so it is either not illegal or done really well, and crime done really well is not illegal until someone decides it is. I am so pissed we have wasted so much money and resources on such a conglomeration of bums, while acting like wasting millions on losing is "moral".

So paying a player a couple thousand and letting him drive a car for a few years is wrong? But giving Blo 25 million over 7 years, plus a massive buyout, giving Smilin Mike 10 million and watch him take a 50k coaching job, or fans paying 100 million so an AD and admin, and Pepsi, and adidas, and all the other parasites that make millions off the program is right? If we are going to invest in something so trivial and stupid we better go all the way...What ever Alabama is doing they have been doing since 2007 , a full decade so it is either not illegal or done really well, and crime done really well is not illegal until someone decides it is. I am so pissed we have wasted so much money and resources on such a conglomeration of bums, while acting like wasting millions on losing is "moral".

I don't think most people have a problem with kids getting money, they object to a weird double standard where it seems that schools in one conference are able to violate the one rule, the integrity of which is vital for competitive balance, and not face any repercussions. USC got nailed for stuff that was nowhere near as egregious as what goes on in the SEC. If the NCAA would send a clear signal that paying high schoolers to come play for your team is one of those rules that doesn't really matter and every team could do it without fear of sanctions this wouldn't be an issue. While pretty much every school has boosters who provide illegal benefits to players already on campus, and pretty much every school engaged in pharmaceutical enhancement of players 20 years ago, very few schools pay high school kids because that's generally considered dirty pool. I don't care that SEC teams cheat, more power to them, what I do care about is the narrative that their success is based on amazing coaching, passion, demographics, etc. If the rules around recruiting were enforced half as vigorously as they were in the 90s (when it seemed like every year multiple SEC teams were under severe sanctions) the SEC would have about the same number of NCs as the other conferences this century and Saban would be considered a great coach but not one of the all time greats.

There may be a double standard, or it may be what USC did was novel, more a result of the new age of agents being so close to the action, wheras what the SEC does has consistently been done by all winning programs since 1950. We paid players, gave them steroids, and cars, housing, and looked the other way when they committed crimes. If you are going to vacate alabama's recent wins you would have to vacate nearly every national title of the last 50 years, including all of ours. Picking on tattoos or agent activity is somewhat unique, and can be isolated from the normal schtick of paying parents, buying cars, providing honeys...a majority of which happens via boosters and outside of the football program.

Would you have felt better if he signed with Clemson or Georgia?

The Camaro is the free vehicle of choice if the players' own bragging pics are to be believed.

The problem with paying recruits is that it is against the rules. So your competitors are forced to play at a disadvantage or cheat themselves. In the $EC there is an unwritten rule that you don't nark on fellow conference members. Not that the NCAA would do anything, anyway. When is the last time they handed out penalties with any real teeth to them?

Hmmm how many first rounders have the huskies had in the last 6 yeares

Doesn’t appear to be pissing match. And we are the Huskers. Not the Huskies tard-o. Troll else were. And Huskers have placed there share of first rounders. Don’t cut it off at a point to try and make us look bad. 6 years, really?? Why not go 10-20-40 years. Usually most peeps go with decade comparisons.

I don't think most people have a problem with kids getting money, they object to a weird double standard where it seems that schools in one conference are able to violate the one rule, the integrity of which is vital for competitive balance, and not face any repercussions. USC got nailed for stuff that was nowhere near as egregious as what goes on in the SEC. If the NCAA would send a clear signal that paying high schoolers to come play for your team is one of those rules that doesn't really matter and every team could do it without fear of sanctions this wouldn't be an issue. While pretty much every school has boosters who provide illegal benefits to players already on campus, and pretty much every school engaged in pharmaceutical enhancement of players 20 years ago, very few schools pay high school kids because that's generally considered dirty pool. I don't care that SEC teams cheat, more power to them, what I do care about is the narrative that their success is based on amazing coaching, passion, demographics, etc. If the rules around recruiting were enforced half as vigorously as they were in the 90s (when it seemed like every year multiple SEC teams were under severe sanctions) the SEC would have about the same number of NCs as the other conferences this century and Saban would be considered a great coach but not one of the all time greats.
A lot of words there old boy.

odd

Doesn’t appear to be pissing match. And we are the Huskers. Not the Huskies tard-o. Troll else were. And Huskers have placed there share of first rounders. Don’t cut it off at a point to try and make us look bad. 6 years, really?? Why not go 10-20-40 years. Usually most peeps go with decade comparisons.

Their*

Do you really think that 18 year olds today care about what happened 10-20-40 years ago?

I have always wondered why people think that everyone that has what we want is cheating or lying to get it.

I am sure that many used to say that about Tom Osborne and Nebraska too.

I am sure that many used to say that about Tom Osborne and Nebraska too.

They probably wouldn't be wrong either. When it comes to the top college football is a dirty sport.

When a platform exists to allow for it people will take advantage of it.

$EC is pay to play.....and I don't have a problem with players getting money - it is the imbalance of talent I don't like. Nebraska is hurt by it so I don't like it - simple as that.

Reactions: Huskercigar
Pointing fingers and basing one punishment as unfair, while sayin one is too lenient is an exercise in futility my friends.

Most of us have no clue what percentage of money or other benefits change hands. We all differ on what should be considered amatuer status, the Olympic committee doesn't even know half the time.

College football is almost a billion dollar industry now. College coaches make six to ten million dollars a year now. Assistant coaches make near a million a year.

Most of these kids won't make it three years in the NFL. Their bodies will be broken by that point, the education is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I hope for their sake that they find a degree and a field of work they can enjoy. That is their legal payoff for entertaining us.

They probably wouldn't be wrong either. When it comes to the top college football is a dirty sport.

When a platform exists to allow for it people will take advantage of it.
In any enterprise that has money and recognition involved, and careers on the line every day, there will be people operating outside the boundaries.

It happens in sports, and it happens in the corporate world. But it's been my experience, that it doesn't happen anywhere near the degree that the people on the outside looking in feel it does.

You know his dad was a pro bowl corner who signed a $50 million dollar contract not that long ago? I’m guessing he was swayed more by the huge amount of high draft picks from their secondary or the fact that every single kid that’s ever signed with Saban (before this class obviously) at Bama and stayed 4 years has won at least one national championship. Not very hard to sell that program without cash on the side.

You know his dad was a pro bowl corner who signed a $50 million dollar contract not that long ago? I’m guessing he was swayed more by the huge amount of high draft picks from their secondary or the fact that every single kid that’s ever signed with Saban (before this class obviously) at Bama and stayed 4 years has won at least one national championship. Not very hard to sell that program without cash on the side.
Saban also still does a lot of hands on position coaching in the secondary

Last edited:
Dr. Tom was a good man in a dirty sport, who became a dirty man, who then tried to be good again. He brought in questionable human beings, gave enough structure that they only beat or raped a few people while at NU, and then watched as they ended up incarcerated when the structure was removed. And then the steriods and Big red auto, and "jobs" and all that.

It doesn’t matter all of the SEC cheats!

Dr. Tom was a good man in a dirty sport, who became a dirty man, who then tried to be good again. He brought in questionable human beings, gave enough structure that they only beat or raped a few people while at NU, and then watched as they ended up incarcerated when the structure was removed. And then the steriods and Big red auto, and "jobs" and all that.
Sick

Do not disparage Tom Osborne, he was only trying to help those young men get out of a bad situation.

Fake news ... what else would you expect from California

Actually, according to the 2010 NCAA Cam Newton ruling, Nick Saban can legally pay Surtain's mother or give her a new car or move her into a new house in order to secure Surtain's commitment to play football at the University of Alabama. The only requirement is that Patrick Surtain Jr may never know where his mother is getting all these great incentives, she may be sharing with him. No really, this type of sanctioned corruption is legal under NCAA rules these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT