ADVERTISEMENT

The Difference Yesterday

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
The score doesn't show how close that game really was and LT's athletes were by-and-large on par with ours. That kick return for a score that was called back was an indication of that.
The difference between the win yesterday and most every close, painful loss of the past 8-10 years is we finally look like a smart, hard-nosed team again that doesn't try to get cute in schemes or beat itself through stupidity. We won by 1) establishing the running game and using it to dominate the second half (and HH was a big factor in that) 2) No turnovers 3) Far fewer stupid penalties.
They were making the stupid personal foul penalties and we were not killing ourselves with turnovers. That's the difference between winning and losing games like this. We also have a good QB to run this offense in Heinrich Haarberg. I have zero doubt that if Sims would have started yesterday we would have lost that game, unless magically he improved in ball control and stopped staring down his receivers. It doesn't matter what physical attributes you have if you can't utilize them in a way that helps the team win.
I see no reason to return Sims to a starting role unless Haarberg starts to struggle. He's winning and playing smart and has the foot speed to go the distance. He's a serviceable passer and with more reps that should continue to improve.

Sims was absolutely NOT ready to come in for HH when his helmet came off and had to miss a play. That worries me a little.
He ran what looked to be a read option but he had no one to run it with. As it was, he crumbled pathetically to the ground for a small loss which was not the worst thing that could have happened. Point being, Sims and the coaching staff were daydreaming when they were called on.

Sims was absolutely NOT ready to come in for HH when his helmet came off and had to miss a play. That worries me a little.
He ran what looked to be a read option but he had no one to run it with. As it was, he crumbled pathetically to the ground for a small loss which was not the worst thing that could have happened. Point being, Sims and the coaching staff were daydreaming when they were called on.
The running back went the wrong way.

NOBODY thinks he’s the savior. He’s probably a more accurate passer but unfortunately he didn’t seem to have good field vision and he turned the ball over too much. That KILLS your team.
I disagree, feels like forever ago but I was amazed at how disappointed I was watching Sims throw against Minnesota and Colorado. Harberg makes some decent short throws through traffic. His long ball needs improvement for sure.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I disagree, feels like forever ago but I was amazed at how disappointed I was watching Sims throw against Minnesota and Colorado. Harberg makes some decent short throws through traffic. His long ball needs improvement for sure.
Sims made some really nice throws in to tight windows then he inexplicably failed to see Lurking DBs that led to INTs.

HH thus far seems to be more careful with the ball but eventually his over throws are probably going to lead to INTs. So far it looks like Haarberg is the better option.

Of we had anything that resembled a playmaker that'd be true amd we don't really even have a game manager qb on the roster.
We’ll be in dogfights with bottom feeder B1G teams and get outclassed by Michigan. That said, IF we can generate turnovers and take care of the ball we can win some games. Our lack of a passing game is very limiting.

With all the tremendous recruiting classes and talent Michigan had, Harbaugh struggled until he got a QB who actually got it done at a high level. He had multiple 4 star + guys who were never quite good enough. Our talent level at QB is pretty average at best.
Struggled and was still winning 9 or 10 games every year. We're as of yet nowhere close to that point.

With all the tremendous recruiting classes and talent Michigan had, Harbaugh struggled until he got a QB who actually got it done at a high level. He had multiple 4 star + guys who were never quite good enough. Our talent level at QB is pretty average at best.
Reality .

The score doesn't show how close that game really was and LT's athletes were by-and-large on par with ours. That kick return for a score that was called back was an indication of that.
The difference between the win yesterday and most every close, painful loss of the past 8-10 years is we finally look like a smart, hard-nosed team again that doesn't try to get cute in schemes or beat itself through stupidity. We won by 1) establishing the running game and using it to dominate the second half (and HH was a big factor in that) 2) No turnovers 3) Far fewer stupid penalties.
They were making the stupid personal foul penalties and we were not killing ourselves with turnovers. That's the difference between winning and losing games like this. We also have a good QB to run this offense in Heinrich Haarberg. I have zero doubt that if Sims would have started yesterday we would have lost that game, unless magically he improved in ball control and stopped staring down his receivers. It doesn't matter what physical attributes you have if you can't utilize them in a way that helps the team win.
I see no reason to return Sims to a starting role unless Haarberg starts to struggle. He's winning and playing smart and has the foot speed to go the distance. He's a serviceable passer and with more reps that should continue to improve.
Good post and exactly right. For awhile there I thought that game had all the earmarks of a GA Southern loss. One thing I might add to your list is I didn't sense panic when we missed the FG and went in tied at half. In years past it seems the body language of the team at times like that was "here we go again". Yesterday it was more like "the first half is behind us, let's win each play in the second half". I know all the talk of "we want to be 1-0 today" and "just win each play" and "get 1% better each day" sound like hype and maybe even BS, but the team seemed calmer at Minnesota (except for Sims), against No Ill, and yesterday. I also think Haarberg helps calm everybody down too.

In your dreams , maybe.
I think the Huskers can win these games if they play smart with no major turnovers; Northwestern, Purdue, Mich State (a total mess) and Iowa. Michigan will probably win by a couple of TDs (I hope not). Illinois and Wisconsin are both at their place. I don't think either one is unbeatable. I think Wisconsin plays with discipline, and they have confidence. Have not watched much of Illinois yet. Illinois has lost to a good KU and barely beat a bad Florida Atlantic. Still Nebraska will be considered an underdog in both games. The Maryland game will be a toss-up. It will help the Huskers that they will be at home, and the game will be played in November.

So, I think the Huskers will win four more games and if they get lucky maybe one or two more.

Finally, looking back I think with Haarberg the Huskers would have beat Minnesota. The Huskers should have won that game by 14 points or more. The Colorado game was always going to be tough because of the freight train called the Prime Hype. But losing to a very beatable Minnesota was a missed opportunity. Chalk it up to Rhule's first game. I am hoping for the days of losing games the Huskers should win are over.

The difference between the win yesterday and most every close, painful loss of the past 8-10 years is we finally look like a smart, hard-nosed team again that doesn't try to get cute in schemes or beat itself through stupidity.
This. 1000x, this.

From Riley’s last team all throughout Frost’s tenure, we’ve seen mentally weak football time and time again. A Scott Frost coached team would have lost faith in the first half struggles yesterday and found a way to lose. But just 4 games into the Matt Rhule era, the wilting at the first sign of adversity finally seems to be over.

They’re not world-beaters yet; I wouldn’t expect them to be. But the past two games? That’s the most hard-nosed I’ve seen our Huskers play since Rex Burkhead was last suiting up. Sideline and on-field leadership seem vastly improved.

Even if we have a Savior at QB, I’m not sure it matters much behind this OL. Have you seen how Corcoran is scoring? HH is physical and can make a hole out of nothing. Take care of the ball, run the ball, and we can pull away in the 4th.

Even if we have a Savior at QB, I’m not sure it matters much behind this OL. Have you seen how Corcoran is scoring? HH is physical and can make a hole out of nothing. Take care of the ball, run the ball, and we can pull away in the 4th.
The line is piss poor

Scheme and HH are attempting to take it off life support

The line is piss poor

I agree. HH is a big dude, and once he gets to the open field it’s like trying to bring a fullback down. Iowa thought they had a savior QB too. But their line and OC scheme is just killing them. Can you imagine playing behind Corcoran right now? How is that dude seeing the field?

The line is piss poor

Unfortunately eventually all the beating might catch up to Haarberg. We're afraid to give a running back more than 10 carries per game but Haarberg???? We'll run him all day and doesn't get a rest and has to perform the next snap

Unfortunately eventually all the beating might catch up to Haarberg. We're afraid to give a running back more than 10 carries per game but Haarberg???? We'll run him all day and doesn't get a rest and has to perform the next snap
that's what happens when you're the best player on offense

There isn't a qb on the roster that is a savior.
We need more than a qb to be the savior. We are weak at about every offensive position outside of maybe TE. At least when we compare it to the top 25 in the nation.

The last two games, Nebraska certainly resembled the multiple Big Ten teams that were absolutely nothing special, but beat NU week after week because they avoided doing anything remarkably stupid. Instead, they waited for NU to do something remarkably stupid and took advantage.

We did a few remarkably stupid things at Minnesota (that game is going to weigh NU down all season). We did a few more at CU that turned what would probably have been a 1 possession game into an easy CU win. The last two weeks, NU's mistakes have been more survivable.

Among the things upon which NU needs to improve - 1st down. So many of our first down plays are unproductive, which kills the possession more often than not. Much of that can probably be attributed to the Oline's shaky play. We also need some kind of passing game down field...I believe our only successful pass play downfield this season was the 'bounceroosky' at Minnesota that was far more effective than it deserved to be. That can also be attributed in large part to poor Oline play.

The last two games, Nebraska certainly resembled the multiple Big Ten teams that were absolutely nothing special, but beat NU week after week because they avoided doing anything remarkably stupid. Instead, they waited for NU to do something remarkably stupid and took advantage.

We did a few remarkably stupid things at Minnesota (that game is going to weigh NU down all season). We did a few more at CU that turned what would probably have been a 1 possession game into an easy CU win. The last two weeks, NU's mistakes have been more survivable.

Among the things upon which NU needs to improve - 1st down. So many of our first down plays are unproductive, which kills the possession more often than not. Much of that can probably be attributed to the Oline's shaky play. We also need some kind of passing game down field...I believe our only successful pass play downfield this season was the 'bounceroosky' at Minnesota that was far more effective than it deserved to be. That can also be attributed in large part to poor Oline play.
Haarberg threw a 30 yard touchdown pass on Saturday

Is that the same as all the interceptions? Our receivers ran the wrong way? Did the center snap it at the wrong time on those fumbled snaps? Maybe you know much more about the playcall and the duties of all the players on it. All I know is something went wrong and he froze up like he does.

Is that the same as all the interceptions? Our receivers ran the wrong way? Did the center snap it at the wrong time on those fumbled snaps? Maybe you know much more about the playcall and the duties of all the players on it. All I know is something went wrong and he froze up like he does.
I was talking about that one play. All I know is the rb went the wrong way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT