ADVERTISEMENT

The cupboard is NOT 20-3 bare.

BigBL87

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 11, 2006
People can blame Bo for leaving us thin in several spots, and he did. But that's not an excuse for playing as badly as we have. I like that we've improved as the game has gone on, people need to stop absolving Riley like he was left PeeWee players.

Look, Riley isn't infallible, but we're not as fast on defense as we need to be, and we don't have enough playmakers on offense. And while the score looks bad, and depressing, it isn't really a massive blowout. We have four dropped passes that would have extended drives and a bad throw that would have been a TD if Tommy had put it where he should have. We've not looked great, I'll give you that, but Miami isn't straight outclassing us anymore, we're just not executing plays that are there.

The first half was bad, but this would be a ballgame if we were playing even a little better. That's not the coaches' fault.

you can't call the coaching anything but a minus so far today. leaving slow LBs in man to man vs WRs, don't get the play in on time, miscommunication out of a timeout, can't line up right.

People can blame Bo for leaving us thin in several spots, and he did. But that's not an excuse for playing as badly as we have. I like that we've improved as the game has gone on, people need to stop absolving Riley like he was left PeeWee players.
Well said. The reality is parity is upon us. We don't have 4 star backups nor will we. Don't tell me they don't matter, cuz facts don't lie. Even through NEB eyes :)

Correction. The cupboard is very bare for Riley. We all knew this would be a tough couple of next years until he can get his kind of talent into the program.

Agree. Not acceptable. I am choosing to not give up after 2.5 games. Hell I gave Bo 4 years, and that included his trashing of the state and fanbase.

Reactions: R_Johansen23
I agree, but starting Davie on d was something that could have been avoided

You can't ignore what you know the other team sees as a weakness

We've not looked great, I'll give you that, but Miami isn't straight outclassing us anymore, we're just not executing plays that are there.

In the second half we looked evenly matched. In the first half, no way we looked even close to them. One team looked fast and prepared, the other looked slow and lost. And the first one wasn't the good guys.

Agree. Not acceptable. I am choosing to not give up after 2.5 games. Hell I gave Bo 4 years, and that included his trashing of the state and fanbase.
Who says give up after 2.5 games. No one. Just let this board talk about the good and bad of both players and coaches. It just sounds stupid to talk about messed up coaching decisions to bring Bo back into everything.

Reactions: AndyHanline
We are not as thin as people try to lead us to believe.

We have a lot of talent. Injuries and suspensions have hurt us. But we have a lot of talent. There is zero excuse for this kind of showing. The team for lack of a better word is playing stupid. This is nothing new either. Davie and Foltz gift wrapped Miami the ideal start to this game. Dropped passes are haunting us. This team is better then what they are displaying.

The heat isn't an issue. The issue is focus. 8 Penalties in the first half? Unacceptable.

It doesn't matter if we come back and win this game. It would be nice. But we should have never been down 17 nothing in the first place. This is the same story different year.

I'm not giving up on Riley yet either. I really like him as a person, not sold on him as a coach yet. I'm just tired of seeing some people blaming the "bare cupboard" for this and trying to blame it on Bo. I'm glad Bo is gone, but gosh darn it everything isn't his fault. Our D was called TERRIBLY in the first half.

Reactions: cubsker
We are not as thin as people try to lead us to believe.

We have a lot of talent. Injuries and suspensions have hurt us. But we have a lot of talent. There is zero excuse for this kind of showing. The team for lack of a better word is playing stupid. This is nothing new either. Davie and Foltz gift wrapped Miami the ideal start to this game. Dropped passes are haunting us. This team is better then what they are displaying.

The heat isn't an issue. The issue is focus. 8 Penalties in the first half? Unacceptable.

It doesn't matter if we come back and win this game. It would be nice. But we should have never been down 17 nothing in the first place. This is the same story different year.
Right on the money. I don't see a Miami team that is head and shoulders above our players. We are totally controlling their offensive line...2.2 ypc. We just have to get our offense in gear. Our oline is helping our backs average almost 6 ypc. The line play is actually in our favor...we just have to get our skilled guys up to snuff.

Who says give up after 2.5 games. No one. Just let this board talk about the good and bad of both players and coaches. It just sounds stupid to talk about messed up coaching decisions to bring Bo back into everything.
Really? It does? Callahan was brought up for over 6 years and you didn't complain about it. He didn't leave a roster with zero depth because of not filling out classes like Bo. It is a part of it. Just like the bad decisions, and other factors. Stop with the act.

Right on the money. I don't see a Miami team that is head and shoulders above our players. We are totally controlling their offensive line...2.2 ypc. We just have to get our offense in gear. Our oline is helping our backs average almost 6 ypc. The line play is actually in our favor...we just have to get our skilled guys up to snuff.
Are you serious? You think are d-backs are even close to their receivers? We are starting a redshirt freshmen at d-end with nothing behind him, and a freshmen linebacker. There were barely enough scholarship linebackers this Spring to even field a single 4-3 defense. It is a huge damn deal, you can try and downplay it all you want.

Really? It does? Callahan was brought up for over 6 years and you didn't complain about it. He didn't leave a roster with zero depth because of not filling out classes like Bo. It is a part of it. Just like the bad decisions, and other factors. Stop with the act.
You are ridiculous. Look at our dline. Totally controlling the line of scrimmage. They are averaging 2.2 ypc. Our oline is having our backs average almost six yards a carry. People love to talk about these two spots. We are winning this battle today.

You are ridiculous. Look at our dline. Totally controlling the line of scrimmage. They are averaging 2.2 ypc. Our oline is having our backs average almost six yards a carry. People love to talk about these two spots. We are winning this battle today.
Same d-line with zero pressure (minus one sack)???

Thanks for the laugh. Our D line has been garbage.

Reactions: Agegoneby
Look at the recruiting classes Frank brought in. Look at what Bill inherited. We were a bunch of talentless slow white farm kids. And that is great if they are walkons. But these were kids Frank Solich offered scholarships to. Callahan brought in a lot of talent. Pelini got lucky in that sense. No recruited decent. Nothing special but solid. Brought in a top 25 class once in awhile. But if you think Riley is going to somehow stack that "cupboard with talent", I have to ask what gives you that impression based on our current class?

This reminds me of when yiu decide to keep an employee and you make all of the "if" excuses. They didnt happen, end of story.

Nice half-time adjustments. We just went from 2.2 ypc to letting them run all over us. What the heck was going on in that locker room?

But no, you said we were controlling the line of scrimmage. Which is it? If we're playing well it's superior talent, if not it's the coach's fault. Stop the spin troll.

But no, you said we were controlling the line of scrimmage. Which is it? If we're playing well it's superior talent, if not it's the coach's fault. Stop the spin troll.
Stop...if we come out and stuff them everyone would say, "What coaching!" The reality is that we were controlling their oline on the run game in the first half. Go look at the stats.

Stop...if we come out and stuff them everyone would say, "What coaching!" The reality is that we were controlling their oline on the run game in the first half. Go look at the stats.

That's what happens when you sell out to stop the run. We were getting no pass rush and getting torched in the secondary.

What adjustments were to be made at half if we were owning their line?

So we have no secondary because we have so much talent?

That makes zero sense.

You can have all the talent in the world and it will get you no where without experience and coaching. Talent is one of multiple cogs that it takes to be successful and we're certainly not void to the point that ANYONE can throw downfield on us.

How often do you see our DB's play the ball? I'm sorry but poor ball awareness has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with coaching. In three games this season we've been hurt over and over again because a DB failed to play the ball.

Lets look at the facts. Our starting Defense has a Rivals average of 5.67 and includes a whopping 3 4 star players (Rose, Banderas and McMullen). Our starting Offense has a Rivals average of 5.63 and includes a whopping 4 4 star players. Additionally we start 3-4 freshmen and 2 walkons. Anyone who says that Bo didn't leave the cupboard absolutely empty is simply trolling.

Reactions: KingBlackshirt
Lets look at the facts. Our starting Defense has a Rivals average of 5.67 and includes a whopping 3 4 star players (Rose, Banderas and McMullen). Our starting Offense has a Rivals average of 5.63 and includes a whopping 4 4 star players. Additionally we start 3-4 freshmen and 2 walkons. Anyone who says that Bo didn't leave the cupboard absolutely empty is simply trolling.

Heh, these are facts based on the opinions of rating services. If Nebraska was a top 10 team annually I guarantee an offer alone to some player warrants a rating increase. I'm not saying they're worthless but they shouldn't be taken to mean everything. It wasn't uncommon for USC to offer some 2-3 star player during their heyday and he suddenly became a 4 star player.

Heh, these are facts based on the opinions of rating services. If Nebraska was a top 10 team annually I guarantee an offer alone to some player warrants a rating increase. I'm not saying they're worthless but they shouldn't be taken to mean everything. It wasn't uncommon for USC to offer some 2-3 star player during their heyday and he suddenly became a 4 star player.

But every time we get a recruit that isn't a 5.8 4 star all I hear is how poorly we are recruiting. So what is it? Do rivals rankings matter or don't they? All the doubters have to choose one or the other, they cant have it both ways! Either rankings matter and the cupboard is bare or rankings don't matter and Reilly and crew may be recruiting geniuses (remains to be seen since rankings don't matter).

But every time we get a recruit that isn't a 5.8 4 star all I hear is how poorly we are recruiting. So what is it? Do rivals rankings matter or don't they? All the doubters have to choose one or the other, they cant have it both ways! Either rankings matter and the cupboard is bare or rankings don't matter and Reilly and crew may be recruiting geniuses (remains to be seen since rankings don't matter).

Ratings are nothing more than a mixed bag of tricks from one level to the next. The same with the NFL draft. A first round draft pick does not mean that player will pan out just as a 5 star rating doesn't mean that player with do anything at the college level. There are allot of 3 star players who should have been 4-5 star players, not everyone is properly evaluated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT