ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you King Kong

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
Your comment in the profitability thread made me chuckle and then contemplate: "This thinking is how the Blackberry decline happens.

Apathetic obsolescence is always just a generation away"

Tandy was a major force in the home computer...
Apple was a major force in the cell phone...
Sprint was a major force in cellular service...

I have always been fascinated by the "originals" of their field, they cut new ground and lay the foundation for the next generation to come along and have an easier path to the competition. The home computer went from Tandy, to Apple, to Gateway, to Dell, and now is???

Steve Jobs dominated the cell phone and got into a personal war with Google and then died, now Google has introduced the newest technologies of the cell phone because of the war but soon will be passed by????

The cell industry is just as vicious... It started with MCI, to Verizon, to Nextel, to Sprint, and now T Mobile is dominating.

I had a landscape construction business for more than 25 years and the demand to keep up with the newest plants, equipment, training, and design technology would keep you busy for months. Every year about 25 new plants would be introduced and you had to wait about 3 years to see which ones would live up to their claims and to make sure they were hardy enough for winters and droughts then start trying them. The LSD (labor saving device) equipment is always a major concern to help you save time and wear and tear on the employees. The computer design programs were a jungle within itself, everyone claiming theirs is the best and the most affordable. It took me 3 years to replace a design program I purchased from Staples in the 2000's for $60.00; I had to buy used laptops because the company went out of business and the program wouldn't work with the new Windows format. I was finally able to find one that didn't break the bank and was user-friendly. (Ended up being the best program ever with the ability to do AI videos)

No matter how successful you are now, the wolf is at the door waiting to attack. If you don't keep the hunger you will be passed and left for dead.

Your comment in the profitability thread made me chuckle and then contemplate: "This thinking is how the Blackberry decline happens.

I have always been fascinated by the "originals" of their field, they cut new ground and lay the foundation for the next generation to come along and have an easier path to the competition. The home computer went from Tandy, to Apple, to Gateway, to Dell, and now is???

Steve Jobs dominated the cell phone and got into a personal war with Google and then died, now Google has introduced the newest technologies of the cell phone because of the war but soon will be passed by????

The cell industry is just as vicious... It started with MCI, to Verizon, to Nextel, to Sprint, and now T Mobile is dominating.

I had a landscape construction business for more than 25 years and the demand to keep up with the newest plants, equipment, training, and design technology would keep you busy for months. Every year about 25 new plants would be introduced and you had to wait about 3 years to see which ones would live up to their claims and to make sure they were hardy enough for winters and droughts then start trying them. The LSD (labor saving device) equipment is always a major concern to help you save time and wear and tear on the employees. The computer design programs were a jungle within itself, everyone claiming theirs is the best and the most affordable. It took me 3 years to replace a design program I purchased from Staples in the 2000's for $60.00; I had to buy used laptops because the company went out of business and the program wouldn't work with the new Windows format. I was finally able to find one that didn't break the bank and was user-friendly. (Ended up being the best program ever with the ability to do AI videos)

No matter how successful you are now, the wolf is at the door waiting to attack. If you don't keep the hunger you will be passed and left for dead.
that is all well and good … but remember those companies aren’t/weren’t members of an organization (conference) that will be paying out close to 100 million dollars per year whether they succeed or fail or regardless of whether you win 1 game or win a national title with regards to football

Rutgers gets the same payout as Michigan and OSU

these massive conf payouts curtail the incentive to win

that is all well and good … but remember those companies aren’t/weren’t members of an organization (conference) that will be paying out close to 100 million dollars per year whether they succeed or fail or regardless of whether you win 1 game or win a national title with regards to football

It doesn’t curtail the incentive if there’s unilateral agreement that the one true tentpole of the organization is the pursuit of competitive excellence

The road from pioneer to also ran is paved with laurel-seated profit taking

Reactions: Laner2 and Redmich
It doesn’t curtail the incentive if there’s unilateral agreement that the one true tentpole of the organization is the pursuit of competitive excellence

The road from pioneer to also ran is paved with laurel-seated profit taking

Correct …but there can be motivational differences between wanting to win and needing to win

I would like to see tiered conf payouts based on football and basketball success

Reactions: king_kong_

I was not relating this to the corruption of conferences or the NCAA. You get passed if you don't stay on the very sharp cutting edge or if the product's originator dies. That is all...

Isn't apple still a major force in the cell phone?

Isn't apple still a major force in the cell phone?
I see Google taking it to Apple, I think Apple phones will be losing market share very soon. Other than the camera there has been nothing of new technology or development since Jobs died. He left new innovations that have been introduced but after that nothing.

Jobs specifically targeted Google to take over and destroy, but I think it will be Google taking over Apple in about 10 years. It will come down to new innovations and Google seems to have better people for that. Apple phones were Jobs, IMO. Apple seems to be introducing new technology in the phones themselves. It will be interesting to sit back and watch. Jobs had to rescue Apple when he was alive, that safety net is gone.

Correct …but there can be motivational differences between wanting to win and needing to win

I would like to see tiered conf payouts based on football and basketball success
Then all you would have is the best teams winning all the time and the "2nd" tier teams staying in the 2nd tier. It would impact their ability to hire staff, recruit, update facilities all while the top teams are doing all of that to the max. The goal of any conference is to have as many competitive teams as possible. I'll agree its pretty much like this now with the same 3-4 teams winning most of the conference titles, but this wouldn't do it IMO

I see Google taking it to Apple, I think Apple phones will be losing market share very soon. Other than the camera there has been nothing of new technology or development since Jobs died. He left new innovations that have been introduced but after that nothing.

Jobs specifically targeted Google to take over and destroy, but I think it will be Google taking over Apple in about 10 years. It will come down to new innovations and Google seems to have better people for that. Apple phones were Jobs, IMO. Apple seems to be introducing new technology in the phones themselves. It will be interesting to sit back and watch. Jobs had to rescue Apple when he was alive, that safety net is gone.
Apple is literally the richest company in the world. Their marketing is far better than Google, especially targeting young people, which will always be a massive future advantage. I’ve witnessed for years, Google try and put out “better stuff” with more features but it just doesn’t work very well. Google wins on paper but Apple wins on the field. More people have iPhones and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Your comments with your landscaping business are spot on. I face very similar challenges with my very different business.

Last edited:
Reactions: V-Doub
many seeing this thread be like:

6waa4z.png

Then all you would have is the best teams winning all the time and the "2nd" tier teams staying in the 2nd tier. It would impact their ability to hire staff, recruit, update facilities all while the top teams are doing all of that to the max. The goal of any conference is to have as many competitive teams as possible. I'll agree its pretty much like this now with the same 3-4 teams winning most of the conference titles, but this wouldn't do it IMO
I would rather reward excellence than promote parity or mediocrity.

Better throw in Volleyball, and possibly women's BB, so there is a better chance at getting a bit bigger slice of the payout pie.

I have zero clue WTF anyone is talking about in here and why. I obviously missed sometbing over the weekend.
Kong is feeling hyped because someone made an entirely new thread about his comment in another thread, and he knows a lot of people don’t like him. So he’s trying to really milk this one person that likes him and then spray said milk into their faces.

At some point in the future, the money faucet is going to be turned down and networks will demand more for their money. Better quality matchups. And the Georgias and Michigans of the world will question not just why Vanderbilt and Northwestern are getting not just an equal share, but any shares at all.

After two or three mega conferences are formed, the next phase will be trimming the fat.

I would rather reward excellence than promote parity or mediocrity.
I'm sure you would but I think any conference commissioner would disagree. Hell any high school coach/AD would tell you they'd rather have a competitive conference over one where the same team wins every year.

Sears was the O.G. Amazon!
Pretty much invented the mail order. I remember a few years ago calling them to see if they had a part I needed on a Saturday. The lady in Chicago I was forced to talk to neither knew nor cared.
Walmart will be drowning in the near future as hard as it is to believe.
I see how it happens. You get big and dominant and profits just roll in and make you lazy. Ripe for the picking.

The contrast to Nebraska's athletic program is viable. The money comes and that is great but its all too easy.
And seriously, do you worry about the budget? I don't. I want to win at least 8-9-10 games again and have teams hate to play us, like it used to be.
And for the love of all that's good and decent not to be a trivia question during NCAA tournament basketball games about the only team never to win one.

Those sports don’t contribute to the pie

Only about 1% of the TV content on B1G Network but would be nice to partake in whatever kind of pie the women might be offering. (And, yes, I realize there are opportunities for jokes)

Apple is literally the richest company in the world. Their marketing is far better than Google, especially targeting young people, which will always be a massive future advantage. I’ve witnessed for years, Google try and put out “better stuff” with more features but it just doesn’t work very well. Google wins on paper but Apple wins on the field. More people have iPhones and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Your comments with your landscaping business are spot on. I face very similar challenges with my very different business.
Will be interesting to see how Apple is doing in 20 years. My kids absolutely love all of their products while I would rather use my android phone.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Pretty much invented the mail order. I remember a few years ago calling them to see if they had a part I needed on a Saturday. The lady in Chicago I was forced to talk to neither knew nor cared.
Walmart will be drowning in the near future as hard as it is to believe.
I see how it happens. You get big and dominant and profits just roll in and make you lazy. Ripe for the picking.
To add on to your point......I've known men and women who started up a business with zero capital and loads of sweat equity. No vacations, no new cars, same house for years and years. Build the business up and it takes off and becomes successful. After pouring 40 or 50 years into it, they decided to retire and turn it over to Junior. Junior incorporates some of the dumbest business notions, alienates the employees, buys a new Harley every other year and a vacation spot in the Ozarks, gets married, divorced and snorts the profits up his nose. Within 10 years the business is failing. I've seen this happen and twice the dopes were my friends. Complete lack of perspective.

• Wow
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Not available until sometime next year..

about an hour covering all these wow features that actually don't exist..

that is officially MF Vaporware...

I will be surprised if it ever actually comes out.

Meanwhile the PC peeps got a $350 solution and the Playstation peeps got a $500 solution, and some existing titles.

The mass of people out there are not buying a $3500 device, and no game / media company is devoting resources to that, sans some Disney pedo project and a Japanese game guru.

I mean, his general premise is sound. I’m just not so sure it applies Apple at this point in time.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT