ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Lee

Wow after scrambling for a negative 287 yards in two seasons at Tulane and throwing 23 TDs vs 21 INTs while taking 42 sacks this guy must have really turned the corner to be ready for the NFL after one season and a scout season at UNL. I can hardly wait !!! ... yeaaa uh-huh
Now, settle down and enjoy the spring competition. How early did he walk ? If at 9 months or before, I am pretty excited; if not till a year or more (indications of neurological development ), hope dwindles. GBR

P. S. There are rumors that POB climbed out of his crib at 8 months, to throw a stick his dog could fetch. Hope springs eternal in Husker land. The dog is being brought in as a Special Teams consultant for kick-offs.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well he's under 50 percent against the ACC, but like you, I'm hoping he does better against better competition. I'm rooting for it guys....i'm rooting for awesome and to be honest I don't really care who we get it from. I'm not anti Lee by any stretch. I just ain't sure where all the potential accolades are coming from.
There is a trend ( even by very smart posters ), to bend to the negative. Then a posting attack, followed by some back and forth between various posters. You didn't fail. I like the positive; consider a positive outlook more of a fan ( fanatic ) position...... A poster went through HCMR's history with qb's the best he could - he concluded, ultimately the best qb played regardless. I hope players get real time development, where they can be inserted in games. Hoping if a qb is off ; we throw in the next one - play for the hot hand.

The media asked the players and coaches what their thoughts were about the QBs.

If the players and coaches said POB is the real deal and that he will be awesome next year, most of this thread wouldn't be here.

At the end of Fall Camp, the players stated that Lee was awesome. After a bowl practice, players said that Lee will be awesome next year.

The coaches (DL) said Lee has looked great, that he is what they are looking for, that he is everything he thought he would be and more.

When Langs referred to POB, he said he is coming along, that he is young, that Lee has the game experience.

The media printed these things to give the impression that Lee will have the upperhand.

I blame the media for causing some Husker fans to get the idea that Lee will be better at QB than we have had the last few years and that POB will be playing second fiddle to Lee.

Reactions: nebcountry
My hope is that POB is better than TA was.

My hope is that Lee is better than TA was.

That alone would make all Husker fans happy.

So then if POB ends up being better than Lee, then we would have 2 QBs that are better than what we have had recently.

Or if Lee ends up being better than POB, then we would still have 2 QBs that are better than what we have had recently.

In reality, we probably all want the same thing: POB and Lee to be better than TA on the field when it counts.

Reactions: WHCSC
My hope is that POB is better than TA was.

My hope is that Lee is better than TA was.

That alone would make all Husker fans happy.

So then if POB ends up being better than Lee, then we would have 2 QBs that are better than what we have had recently.

Or if Lee ends up being better than POB, then we would still have 2 QBs that are better than what we have had recently.

In reality, we probably all want the same thing: POB and Lee to be better than TA on the field when it counts.
I cringe a little bit when we say "better than TA was". TA was GREAT at some things. Apples and oranges comparing any guy that will follow TA. IMO any QB was going to have issues behind the banged up O line we fielded this past season. It's going to be interesting to see what our O line can do against a really good Tennessee front in the bowl game now that it's healed up a little bit.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Wow after scrambling for a negative 287 yards in two seasons at Tulane and throwing 23 TDs vs 21 INTs while taking 42 sacks this guy must have really turned the corner to be ready for the NFL after one season and a scout season at UNL. I can hardly wait !!! ... yeaaa uh-huh
No one said he's ready for the NFL, can you actually read? It doesn't look like it!

I cringe a little bit when we say "better than TA was". TA was GREAT at some things. Apples and oranges comparing any guy that will follow TA. IMO any QB was going to have issues behind the banged up O line we fielded this past season. It's going to be interesting to see what our O line can do against a really good Tennessee front in the bowl game now that it's healed up a little bit.

I would have to agree. TA did some things great.

I wish he would have done some things great consistently though... but like you just said, any QB was going to have issues this year with the OL we fielded most of the season.

With Riley and Langsdorf, I doubt we see another run threat at the QB position that could hold TA's jock strap. TA won some games with his running capabilities and his heart, not because of the blocking capabilities of the OL in front of him.

TA hurt the team in many ways, whether it was playing injured (maybe not his fault that he had to), not checking down and chucking the ball 40 yards downfield to show off his arm strength, and missing wide open receivers while forcing a pass into coverage.

In some of those games, he saved himself by being great when it mattered and by not screwing up. He was a fighter. He gave it his all. No one can question that about him. He just was not a great fit into Riley's offensive philosophy.

He was the best QB on the team these last two years and the coaches obviously thought that he gave us the best chance to win. I just wish the coaches would have pulled him for a series or two when he was having a bad game.

I cringe a little bit when we say "better than TA was". TA was GREAT at some things. Apples and oranges comparing any guy that will follow TA. IMO any QB was going to have issues behind the banged up O line we fielded this past season. It's going to be interesting to see what our O line can do against a really good Tennessee front in the bowl game now that it's healed up a little bit.[/QUOTE]

I wish it was healed up more than it is.

I think I read an article within the past few days that said Foster missed a practice. There might have been another, but he is the one that sticks in my mind at the moment.

I picked the Huskers to win when the game was first announced because I thought our team would be very healthy and ready to go! Well, it doesn't appear to be the case so now I don't feel as confident in the Huskers at this point in time.

Hopefully they are healthy by next Friday. If they are, I think we can impress some people and pull out a good win.

I wish it was healed up more than it is.

I think I read an article within the past few days that said Foster missed a practice. There might have been another, but he is the one that sticks in my mind at the moment.

I picked the Huskers to win when the game was first announced because I thought our team would be very healthy and ready to go! Well, it doesn't appear to be the case so now I don't feel as confident in the Huskers at this point in time.

Hopefully they are healthy by next Friday. If they are, I think we can impress some people and pull out a good win.
I don't like our chances in beating Tennessee.

Also, does anyone know if Lee's WRs were total garbage at Tulane? Did he have a supporting run game? He'll no doubt have better WRs to work with at DONU

The thing I'm most excited about is the fact that we will actually have 3 scholarship QB's in spring ball competing for the job,no one anointed the starter and all 3 have great arm talent and seem to be able to read defenses and make the required throws. I know Gebbia has not played at the college level but it is pretty apparent from his film and stats that he is very capable although he needs to beef up a little. Just nice to get away from the 8 years of no competition at QB.

Robert Kelley from the Redskins was a RB in 2015 He averaged 3.6 yards a carry at Tulane and 4.6 yards a carry this season in the NFL.

Yep, I posted the below on page three.

Gruden was just talking about Robert Kelley for the Redskins, running back from Tulane. He said Kelley is good after contact because his line was so bad at Tulane, he had no other choice but to learn how to run after contact.

Just something to think about when discussing Tanner Lee's time [stats] at Tulane.

Wow lots of optimism- Riley finally gets to run what he wants with the prototypical QB he wanted
Lots of guys not caring about Rileys past performances or Lees for that matter

So what we got in years 1& 2 wasnt what Riley wanted to do- look at the rushing yards to passing yards ratio

But last year is right in line with what Riley did at OSU
If he would have been retained- that is exactly what we would have got from him

Thank goodness the mistake is gone and hopefully our University, supporters and fans learned from the experience and wont make the same mistake again. Looks like we didnt with Frost at least.

Wow lots of optimism- Riley finally gets to run what he wants with the prototypical QB he wanted

So what we got in years 1& 2 wasnt what Riley wanted to do- look at the rushing yards to passing yards ratio

Thank goodness the mistake is gone and hopefully our University, supporters and fans learned from the experience and wont make the same mistake again. Looks like we didnt with Frost at least.
It's called fan optimism. You should try it. You know kind of like how you feel about Frost about now....me too by the wayWinking

It's called fan optimism. You should try it. You know kind of like how you feel about Frost about now....me too by the wayWinking

When it's based on reality, history and credible facts, its a bit different than some kind of wishful opium pipe dream or rah rah foam finger we are never going to lose a game opinion of a 9 year old kid who watches parts of 2 different games on TV a year. Winking.

Reactions: Huskercigar
When it's based on reality, history and credible facts, its a bit different than some kind of wishful opium pipe dream or rah rah foam finger we are never going to lose a game opinion of a 9 year old kid.
Cmon man. With Riley it was guarded optimism and hope. Nothing more. With Frost's limited track record as a head coach, we should still be guarded. I'm willing to give him the full 7 to get us over that 9 win hump.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Cmon man. With Riley it was guarded optimism and hope. Nothing more. With Frost's limited track record as a head coach, we should still be guarded. I'm willing to give him the full 7 to get us over that 9 win hump.
Ok- I get it

However there were a good number of people that were yelling from the Roof tops that last years team was going to win 10/11 games- they were doubling down on something that showed little evidence of being worthy of those types confident predictions. Im guessing there were some right here on the board doing so- I dont know I wasnt checking in back then.

I had us on 5, 6 wins tops- was shocked to see those kind of predictions based on the facts

Last edited:
Hopefully Lee does well from here on out. God bless him and may he have good fortunes.

However I would not have picked him to be the QB. I would have gone with Gebbia or POB right out of the gate regardless of pressure. Lee unfortunately did not show the results during his tenure at Tulane justifying the recruitment in the first place.

When the bullets were flying he threw the ball to the defense. That is/was the real test everything else is just putting spin on it...

Reactions: davecisar

Admire your consistency... thread after thread.

Reactions: SOHusker11

Guarded optimism? Wow. That's a perspective not displayed by the likes of many posters back then. It was an all out attack on anyone that wasn't 100% in belief of MR. Posters that had this so called guarded optimism were calling anyone that didn't see the MR success idiots.

Guarded optimism? Wow. That's a perspective not displayed by the likes of many posters back then. It was an all out attack on anyone that wasn't 100% in belief of MR. Posters that had this so called guarded optimism were calling anyone that didn't see the MR success idiots.
Revisionist. Truly revisionist. I had many respectful back and forth conversations with those who showed doubts about Riley. There weren’t many on here who said you needed to be 100% behind Riley or you’re an idiot. I would ask for proof but you won’t go there.

The shouting matches came when people trumpeted this as a failed hire from the get go. You may not like it, but that’s how it went down.

Yours was a BS post through and through.

Reactions: SOHusker11
The shouting matches came when people trumpeted this as a failed hire from the get go. You may not like it, but that’s how it went down.
I wasnt here
But help me understand- how was this not a failed hire from the get go- seriously

I wasnt here
But help me understand- how was this not a failed hire from the get go- seriously
Obviously it was. But he was hired. What am I gonna do about it? I’m not changing anything. So I read about his accolades from pundits and start to believe. I read about his ability to relate to players, and I believe a little more. I see the number of Oregon State players in the league, and I believe a little more. I see that before Riley arrived Oregon State had won 26% of their games the previous 30 years, and Riley upgraded them considerably from that mark. Why can’t he make a leap here? And I believe a little more.

Before you know it, the .540 record at Oregon State can be overcome at a place like Nebraska, which dwarfs the resources, tradition, fan base, etc., that Oregon State has.

That’s how it happened for me.

Last edited:
Obviously it was. But he was hired. What am I gonna do about it? I’m not changing anything. So I read about his accolades from pundits and start to believe. I read about his ability to relate to players, and I believe a little more. I see the number of Oregon State players in the league, and I believe a little more. I see that before Riley arrived Oregon State had won 26% of their games the previous 30 years, and Riley upgraded them considerably from that mark. Why can’t he make a leap here? And I believe a little more.

Before you know it, the .540 record at Oregon State can be overcome at a place like Nebraska, which dwarfs the resources, tradition, fan base, etc., that Oregon State has.

All of those reasons you stated didnt make his hire a good hire from the get go- the evidence pointed to a failed hire from the get go and very little he did while he was here could sway people off of that.

Can we as fans "support" the coach and program by attending the games, making contributions and keeping our criticisms in check a bit? Yes

But aggressively standing strong behind someone that is going to fail and shouting down those who have opinions that are critical of Riley- and showing aggressive support for someone that needs to be shown the door, puts off what HAS to be done. If everyone was in the Riley camp as strongly as some are here- SE might still be around and Riley might still be the coach. JMO

I wonder how much of the Oregon St win/loss improvement from 26% to 54% was the result of added parity in college football.

I feel no Husker fan should have to defend supporting who ever is our head coach but we all knew the Riley hire was terrible!!!

Reactions: scarletred
All of those reasons you stated didnt make his hire a good hire from the get go- the evidence pointed to a failed hire from the get go and very little he did while he was here could sway people off of that.

Can we as fans "support" the coach and program by attending the games, making contributions and keeping our criticisms in check a bit? Yes

But aggressively standing strong behind someone that is going to fail and shouting down those who have opinions that are critical of Riley- and showing aggressive support for someone that needs to be shown the door, puts off what HAS to be done. If everyone was in the Riley camp as strongly as some are here- SE might still be around and Riley might still be the coach. JMO
Thanks. You ask why, I give you an honest, unvarnished answer, and you counter that with, essentially, “That was stupid of you.”

And you wonder why I sometimes get heated with certain posters. I honestly don’t know why I try. You’ve been a great help.

And for the record, as I already stated, The shouting matches I had were with those who never gave Riley a chance. As our coach, love him or hate him, he at least deserved that.

I assumed you were serious when you asked the question why. I told you why it was for me. I didn’t need you to call me stupid for thinking the way I did.

Just trying to help you understand my rationale... thanks for understanding. :mad:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT