ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Lee

I actually thought it was more like Tulsa Tom and Mitch Mustain or whoever the QB of the moment was back in the day.

Curious what the difference is between me rooting for POB to be so awesome he beats out Lee, and some of you guys already proclaiming Lee the starter based on incredibly average stats against a lot of below average teams.

Happy to give you those two teams.

Here are his stats from those two teams in 2014

Duke in 2014 14/35 160 total yards with 0 TD's & 3 INT's

Georgia Tech 2014 13/24 173 yards 2TD's & 3 INT's

Georgia Tech 2015 was 14/30 165yards 1TD 1 INT

He sure stunk it up in those games Sick of good competition. I agree with what you said above, but I just wanted to point out that those two teams were actually decent one of those years. The rest of his competition was not good and he still didn't have great stats, sans a couple games against really bad teams.

I would love to see our QBs improve with Langs' coaching. I have not been 100% sold on our QB coaches to improve the skills of our QBs (Beck before or Langs now).

Langs had TA, who might have improved some, but I for one was not impressed with the results or the constant critique from the announcers about TA throwing off his back foot. Same goes for TMart and the damn announcers when he was playing.

7 years of announcers critiquing our QBs poor mechanics is enough!!! I have had it with that. Teach the damn QB to play the position and succeed. More than anything, that might be what I am looking forward to the most, whether it be TLee POB or TG.

Yeah it's nice when they go get a personal QB coach on their own, but at what point do you hold the QB coach accountable like you do the OL coach or any other position coach. Just because they are both the OC and QB coach doesn't mean they can't improve the QB's skills. The coaches need to be held accountable.

The 10th assistant could be a QB coach I suppose since Banker will no longer be a position coach AND coordinator. Maybe Langs should only be a coordinator too, who knows.

Reactions: Suvey101885
The thing that resonates the most with me about Lee. His teammates love him. That kind of admiration goes a long way, If guys believe in their QB, receivers are going to run better routes, lineman are going to block better, running backs are going to sell out on fakes. Not to mention Lee has the most arm talent of any Husker QB since probably Vince Ferragamo.

Curious what the difference is between me rooting for POB to be so awesome he beats out Lee, and some of you guys already proclaiming Lee the starter based on incredibly average stats against a lot of below average teams.

I am not arguing that TLee is going to be awesome, but I will say that I like to hear about the good potential coming from the defensive players and staff.

Nothing TLee did in the past at Tulane would lead anyone to believe that he will be a star here at Nebraska.

That doesn't mean he won't be better than what we have had the past 7 years (QB as a whole, passing, reading defenses, etc and not running).

POB may be the real deal, but the noise out of fall camp was all about TLee. Gerry said POB would be good in his radio interview, so I am hopeful that both QBs will be an overall improvement over what we have had with TMart and TA.

Reactions: jeans15
[QUOTE="The 10th assistant could be a QB coach I suppose since Banker will no longer be a position coach AND coordinator. Maybe Langs should only be a coordinator too, who knows."[/QUOTE]

We already have Two of the top QB coaches in the B1G, in Riley and Langsdorf. You don't put 3 guys into the league without knowing your stuff on quarterbacking.[/QUOTE]

Right now there's one chief difference between POB and Lee. And I'm *for* both guys being awesome.

That difference is in who the accolades are coming from. In Lee's corner you have "the coaching staff" at several points this year, the "current players", and some folks who have chimed in from Louisiana football scene that said the boy can play. There was also some reports that Lee has had NFL scouts come to check him out at practice and so forth.

In POB's corner, you have some 4* ratings on recruiting sites, a bunch of fans that think he's the second coming as a true frosh or a redshirt frosh (despite the fact that said recruitniks said he has prototype size and athleticism but would take some time to acclimate to the college game and football in general having been a "baseball" kid growing up), and a couple of tweets from Key Jr about how he's excited to catch passes from POB and Gebbia in the future.

So every time someone wants to go out and hype POB as the now, its a little cheese graterish. All of his hype is projected, its not *now*. In virtually every interview, Langsdorf reiterates this fact. Yet fans persist we are 10 minutes from the POB for Heisman campaign.

It is a safe bet whoever is second team will be the one people are screaming for each week. And when he gets in and throws some INTs there will be silence. There will be the usual comments such as this staff plays too much like a pro team and that is Tanner being Tanner, good Tanner and bad Tanner, and the first long ball he throws will be labeled a YOLO or whatever in the heck that is. Just the fact there might actually be some competition for the position would be news. There hasn't been true competition since????

I'm super stoked for ths QB battle next year and hope I come across as excited for the competition and not douchey. Not my intention. Edit...I was typing that as previous poster was posting his comment about competition. Made me smile a bit, feel the same way.

[QUOTE="The 10th assistant could be a QB coach I suppose since Banker will no longer be a position coach AND coordinator. Maybe Langs should only be a coordinator too, who knows."

We already have Two of the top QB coaches in the B1G, in Riley and Langsdorf. You don't put 3 guys into the league without knowing your stuff on quarterbacking.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

That's what we have been told. I just hope to see some results and fewer issues with fundamentals in the QB game.

I have no reason to believe that Riley and Langs aren't good QB coaches. TA was not their typical QB that they have been coaching and his lack of improvement might not have been their fault.

One way or another I am excited to see the QB position improve in the areas that it has been lacking the last 7 years.

I am not looking forward to the lack of a threat we are going to have with the QB running the ball. In the last 40 years, how many starting QBs have we had that were not a dual threat? 3 or 4?

We are used to dual threat QBs here. If we are going away from them, I want to see the position succeed. Other teams have done it so why can't we.

I'm super stoked for ths QB battle next year and hope I come across as excited for the competition and not douchey. Not my intention.

Me too.

I don't think you are douchey. I just think its odd that so many folks think a 4* rating (one earned on projection at that) beats out any sort of D1 production automagically.

I will note that for going back 15 years of conference title drought, a good many of our QB's were 4* guys, to include TA, Cody Green, Stanton, Dukes, etc. Its a crap shoot out there.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
It is a safe bet whoever is second team will be the one people are screaming for each week. And when he gets in and throws some INTs there will be silence. There will be the usual comments such as this staff plays too much like a pro team and that is Tanner being Tanner, good Tanner and bad Tanner, and the first long ball he throws will be labeled a YOLO or whatever in the heck that is. Just the fact there might actually be some competition for the position would be news. There hasn't been true competition since????

Crouch left the team cuz Newcombe?

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
"I am not looking forward to the lack of a threat we are going to have with the QB running the ball. In the last 40 years, how many starting QBs have we had that were not a dual threat? 3 or 4?"

We are used to dual threat QBs here. If we are going away from them, I want to see the position succeed. Other teams have done it so why can't we."

I think use the term "dual threat" loosely. None of the guys we had here were really true passing threats. In the system that we had, they ran the ball on the option, handed the ball off, or chucked it up for a long pass to a wide open WB or TE for a long gain on play action once in a while, and still were only 50 some percent passers.

We never really had a guy that was equally adept throwing as running, as some of the more modern cantations of dual threat QB's go, like say a Mariota or a Barrett or Watson. (Edit: I would say maybe Gill, but that was a loooong time ago).

TA and TM is what you get when you take a guy who is built to run a ground game and give him any semblance of a passing game to manage. It would have been equally as hideous with Frost or Crouch (Edit: how's it go... Crouch couldn't even be bothered to pitch the ball!).

Last edited:
Could I not say the same about our Tulane transfer? "Let him have some time to develop and get his hours of reps against real college players" Something tells me B1G defenses > AAC defenses.

I'm rooting for POB, and if he wins the job I'm going to be super obnoxious for predicting it.
the aac isnt naia.

As said above, teammates wanting to follow you cant be undersold. Look at notre dames struggles, to a lesser extent some other teams and qbs.....
Teams will go all out for a qb they admire and can keep things calm and supportive.

I think any argument about the passing stats has to be prefaced with this seemingly intriguing tidbit that was thrown out at the end of the season. (I can't verify but for the sake of argument...).

Against peer competition (the Wisky's, Iowa's, OSU's etc of the world) TA was closer to 30% passing than 50% or 60% passing.

IMO, if Tanner Lee is a steady 55% passer against peer competition, we'll be better offensively than we have been. That's assuming he won't have any improvement over his Tulane situation which is probably bogus.
Your posts are insightful. I brought up the positives of why we recruited POB; because some can't say positives about one qb without taking a shot at another. As many point out, there are big jumps in ability /physical growth and understanding of the game, often on a per year basis ( How do you get a "pipeline " ; yep ). We may end up with three great qb's; imo, we have the coaches and system that could produce that. Your post gives insight on whats truly needed. GBR

Don't really care which one starts next year...they better both be ready to go. Not interested in hearing excuses about "well, Tommy is gone so we're needing to rebuild at the QB position..."
Other teams successfully deal with this all the time.

Don't really care which one starts next year...they better both be ready to go. Not interested in hearing excuses about "well, Tommy is gone so we're needing to rebuild at the QB position..."
Other teams successfully deal with this all the time.
I haven't heard this "excuse" you don't want to hear at all. In fact, all I've heard is the opposite... "we finally have a QB for the system Riley and Langsdorf want to run. We will be much improved at QB."

I doubt anybody will make the "excuse" you mentioned. If the QBs don't pan out people will be on the coaches, and rightfully so.

I haven't heard this "excuse" you don't want to hear at all. In fact, all I've heard is the opposite... "we finally have a QB for the system Riley and Langsdorf want to run. We will be much improved at QB."

I doubt anybody will make the "excuse" you mentioned. If the QBs don't pan out people will be on the coaches, and rightfully so.
The coaches now have two QBs plus a green one in Gebbia that can command the offense they want to run. It seems Oline depth will be better next year. Damn right it's on them to produce.

I would bet a significant amount of money that the pollsters vote us down in the preseason rankings because of "inexperienced" QB.

I would bet an equal amount of significant money they'll be all to happy to vote us up if we play well and won't care about our QB situation as long as we win.

He sure stunk it up in those games Sick of good competition. I agree with what you said above, but I just wanted to point out that those two teams were actually decent one of those years. The rest of his competition was not good and he still didn't have great stats, sans a couple games against really bad teams.

I would love to see our QBs improve with Langs' coaching. I have not been 100% sold on our QB coaches to improve the skills of our QBs (Beck before or Langs now).

Langs had TA, who might have improved some, but I for one was not impressed with the results or the constant critique from the announcers about TA throwing off his back foot. Same goes for TMart and the damn announcers when he was playing.

7 years of announcers critiquing our QBs poor mechanics is enough!!! I have had it with that. Teach the damn QB to play the position and succeed. More than anything, that might be what I am looking forward to the most, whether it be TLee POB or TG.

Yeah it's nice when they go get a personal QB coach on their own, but at what point do you hold the QB coach accountable like you do the OL coach or any other position coach. Just because they are both the OC and QB coach doesn't mean they can't improve the QB's skills. The coaches need to be held accountable.

The 10th assistant could be a QB coach I suppose since Banker will no longer be a position coach AND coordinator. Maybe Langs should only be a coordinator too, who knows.
What was Lang's doing before becoming OC at Nebraska?? That's right he was QB coach of the NFL New York Giants

Reactions: timnsun
That is different from a preseason ranking which is what I specified.

I understand. I'd prefer to be ranked highly after some games are played and honestly don't care about preseason rankings like I used to. Back when we were awesome, it was fun to bitch about being #7 and not #4, or when they came out. But now? I don't care if we don't show up at all, I care how we climb the rankings as the season goes on, and few people will care or remember about preseason rankings. I think a lot of pollsters are freaking dying to see Nebraska at or near the top again, proof is when they put us in the top 10 this year when everybody and their brother knew we weren't a top 10 team.

I would bet a significant amount of money that the pollsters vote us down in the preseason rankings because of "inexperienced" QB.

I disagree. I think we get the benefit of the doubt because whoever is our QB next fall will be an instant upgrade in terms of passing ability, decision making and ability to run a Mike Riley offense. TA was a warrior and by all accounts a great teammate. And, he was better than anything else we have had on the roster the last four years. But, IMO he would not have been the starting QB at almost any other top 25 team.

I can just see the preseason mags and commentators during the first few weeks next year saying this. We'll see how this plays out, but I certainly agree that if QB is an issue next year, it's squarely on the coaching staff.

Just my opinion, Lee looks to be the starter for next year. In the beat a dead horse category, Riley likes game time experience ESPECIALLY at qb. So, the starter is already picked de facto, the staff just has to make up whatever their reasons are for picking Lee. The proverbial self-fulfilling prophesy at work. If, IF, POB is named the starter, POB will have been nearly flawless in practice, and my optimism for next year will sky rocket.

I will not say that Lee is destined to be bad. He'll be a couple years older and maybe he fits better into what Langsdorf wants to do. Lee's career qb rating is less than 110, by comparison, TA's qb rating for this year is about 120. I see no reason FOR ME, to anoint Lee a superstar at this point, he'll have to prove himself different now than what he was at Tulane.

We desperately need one of these guys to emerge as the real deal. We need a difference maker at QB weather it is Lee, POB or Gebbia.

Reactions: nebcountry
I can just see the preseason mags and commentators during the first few weeks next year saying this. We'll see how this plays out, but I certainly agree that if QB is an issue next year, it's squarely on the coaching staff.
Good point, I could see it coming from mags... but I haven't seen a single fan posting here use this excuse, which is what I thought the post I responded to was referring to.

I don't ever want a 4 year starter at QB again. Give me junior starters with younger talent developing behind them. Having a freshman starting at QB kills recruiting and it's too much to wait for them to develop/ IF they develop.

On one hand I understand your train of thought and you did a great job explaining it, but it sure seems like plenty of other programs have true freshmen or RS freshmen, or sophomores come in and do just fine.

Reactions: headcard
Good point, I could see it coming from mags... but I haven't seen a single fan posting here use this excuse, which is what I thought the post I responded to was referring to.
Pretty sure I heard someone (maybe Sam McKewon, don't recall) on the radio yesterday already talking about how it will be a transition year next year to transition to the offense they want and they should use the bowl game practices for this transition.

We desperately need one of these guys to emerge as the real deal. We need a difference maker at QB weather it is Lee, POB or Gebbia.

IF we can get much better line play allowing our backs to have running lanes, our QB does not need to be a difference maker, just not a liability.

What was Lang's doing before becoming OC at Nebraska?? That's right he was QB coach of the NFL New York Giants

Yes he can coach QBs... but does his being the OC allow him the time needed to coach up our QBs?

During Beck's time as OC, I recall an article about TMart getting a QB coach and it mentioned the lack of time that Beck was able to spend actually coaching the QBs on their fundamentals.

Our QBs should be able to get that coaching from their position coach, so if time doesn't allow it due to multiple duties, maybe something needs to be adjusted... and I'm not saying there isn't time or that Langs doesn't spend a lot of time coaching the QBs, but I got sick and tired of TA throwing off his back foot and after a full year of Langs' coaching, the damn announcers still pointed out his poor mechanics every single game.

Pretty sure I heard someone (maybe Sam McKewon, don't recall) on the radio yesterday already talking about how it will be a transition year next year to transition to the offense they want and they should use the bowl game practices for this transition.
Well if Tommy is indeed a no-go, Fyfe is a better template to work on the transition.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
On one hand I understand your train of thought and you did a great job explaining it, but it sure seems like plenty of other programs have true freshmen or RS freshmen, or sophomores come in and do just fine.
Exactly. In this day and age of college football, we see Freshmen, RS Freshmen and Sophomores winning the Heisman trophy and taking their teams to the playoffs.

Well if Tommy is indeed a no-go, Fyfe is a better template to work on the transition.

I agree.

The game plan for Maryland seemed to show the staff adjusted the game plan towards Fyfe's passing abilities.

So if TA isn't at practice now, he should't play in the bowl because of the plan that Riley and Langs have already been installing.

It would suck as a coach not to know which QB you will have play when both are such different types of QBs that they require different game plans.

I guess I don't see how or why it would be a big transition. It seems like they already have in most of their passing concepts. They will probably move away from the zone read staff and utilize more swing and spot passes, like we did when Fyfe started against Maryland, but it seems like that stuff is already in the playbook. Maybe we will see more bootleg off the outside zone? Still don't see a big adjustment for the O.

True, but some of those programs are programs that are able to reload and we're not at that place. Even with Bama, they had 2-3 QB transfer out because of a true freshman starting and he most likely will leave after his third year. Ours stay and the entire 4 and in my opinion it has set us back. Unless the kid is a for sure thing, i don't care to see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT