ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Lee

I think people misunderstand what Martinez was saying with regards to Beck and time. It had nothing to do with him being an OC and more to do with the limited amount of time each week, a coach can legally spend working with a QB for the months of January, February, May, June & July when the QB has time to work on specific issues.

Most QBs have a QB coach outside their team position coaches, that will help breakdown mechanical issues and such.

True, but some of those programs are programs that are able to reload and we're not at that place. Even with Bama, they had 2-3 QB transfer out because of a true freshman starting and he most likely will leave after his third year. Ours stay and the entire 4 and in my opinion it has set us back. Unless the kid is a for sure thing, i don't care to see it.

Flipside to that is, tons of high school stud QB's with options are going to say "Not going there" if they see a school that has a history of not starting QB's until their 3rd year in the program, or in the case of a RS junior, 4th year.

Exactly. In this day and age of college football, we see Freshmen, RS Freshmen and Sophomores winning the Heisman trophy and taking their teams to the playoffs.
Example: UCLA has Josh and he had a great freshman year. But because he was a freshman it ran off recruits for the next two years and when he got hurt this year they it hurt them. They are in a similar position we are in so i that's the closet comparison.

Example: UCLA has Josh and he had a great freshman year. But because he was a freshman it ran off recruits for the next two years and when he got hurt this year they it hurt them. They are in a similar position we are in so i that's the closet comparison.
Are you saying they shouldn't have started him as a Freshmen, even though he was the best player, just to keep the other QB's around?

Last edited:
OK, but I'm sure Florida State, Texas AtM, Alabama, Louisville, etc are OK with their decisions to play Freshmen QB's. I think Lee will win the job and I hope he's the real deal, but if one of the Freshmen is better we can't be afraid to go with him.

Reactions: baseball31ne
OK, but I'm sure Florida State, Texas AtM, Alabama, Louisville, etc are OK with their decisions to play Freshmen QB's. I think Lee will win the job and I hope he's the real deal, but if one of the Freshmen is better we can't be afraid to go with him.

I am sure they are. Their freshman QB didn't get hurt.

However, If Jalen Hurts gets injured in fall camp next year, Alabama will be in a pinch and probably playing another true freshman because their depth transferred out.

Not understanding A&M in this list

A&M played a transfer from OU in Knight and a JUCO transfer in Hubenak because both their highly touted QBs left because of lack playing time and unkept promises.

Kenny Hill went to TCU
Kyle Allen is now at Houston
Kyler Murray is now at OU.

Reactions: marlo81
Don't know what this is so hard. If POB is the best option, he will start. We've heard good things about Lee so if POB passes him the depth chart he should be ready. The fact the Lee appears to be ahead at this point should not be a surprise. He was an RS, then started for a season and the next until he go injured, now he is in a transfer year. He has been a college QB for nearly four years. So we have an experienced guy who people associated with the program speak well of, plus a talented young guy, and another talented recruit coming into the program. All were brought in because Riley and Langs thought they could be the kind of QB to run their offense. For all we know, Gebbia could be the QB of the team in a year or two and POB will face backup duty or transfer.
I would be more concerned about the development of our offensive line. These QBs will not make plays with their legs, but with their arms. I think all can do well if we have better line play.

There is way too much hand-wringing over this issue. We should instead be thrilled that for the first time in about 8 years we will have, come next fall, three quality quarterbacks in the system. We will also have for the first time in 8 years true quarterbacks and not athletes who have just an average ability to throw the football. You certainly don't want a non agile "statue" for a QB, and all QB's worth their salt should be able to scramble a bit, but in my view a quarterback who cannot throw the football with consistency to wide open receivers is not much of a quarterback. Throwing the football and having football intelligence are the two most important features for a QB. And my strong hunch is that we will have that next year.

So be happy! Ha

What are the odds POB transfers after spring ball? They would be wise to bring in a walk on every year or two for emergency purposes. When you bring in top talent, they aren't going to sit too long and yes, transfers are part of being a talented team. Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
He could transfer but would have to sit out again, transfer to lower division or a JUCO. But would only have 3 years to play at a FBS level regardless and that starts in 2018 without exception.

There is way too much hand-wringing over this issue. We should instead be thrilled that for the first time in about 8 years we will have, come next fall, three quality quarterbacks in the system. We will also have for the first time in 8 years true quarterbacks and not athletes who have just an average ability to throw the football. You certainly don't want a non agile "statue" for a QB, and all QB's worth their salt should be able to scramble a bit, but in my view a quarterback who cannot throw the football with consistency to wide open receivers is not much of a quarterback. Throwing the football and having football intelligence are the two most important features for a QB. And my strong hunch is that we will have that next year.

So be happy! Ha

Exactly! There will be NO QB EXCUSES next season and that will be a nice change!

What are the odds POB transfers after spring ball? They would be wise to bring in a walk on every year or two for emergency purposes. When you bring in top talent, they aren't going to sit too long and yes, transfers are part of being a talented team. Not saying it will happen, but it could.
From what I hear that is not even remotely a possibility. I've heard that he is willing to be patient and work on his game. IF he wins the job, great. IF not, I don't see him going anywhere. We would have started 3 different QBs this year if we would have had a 3rd one that wouldn't have wasted a year of elgibility. You just never know what is going to happen with injuries.

Happy to give you those two teams.

Here are his stats from those two teams in 2014

Duke in 2014 14/35 160 total yards with 0 TD's & 3 INT's

Georgia Tech 2014 13/24 173 yards 2TD's & 3 INT's

Georgia Tech 2015 was 14/30 165yards 1TD 1 INT
Wi
He sure stunk it up in those games Sick of good competition. I agree with what you said above, but I just wanted to point out that those two teams were actually decent one of those years. The rest of his competition was not good and he still didn't have great stats, sans a couple games against really bad teams.

I would love to see our QBs improve with Langs' coaching. I have not been 100% sold on our QB coaches to improve the skills of our QBs (Beck before or Langs now).

Langs had TA, who might have improved some, but I for one was not impressed with the results or the constant critique from the announcers about TA throwing off his back foot. Same goes for TMart and the damn announcers when he was playing.

7 years of announcers critiquing our QBs poor mechanics is enough!!! I have had it with that. Teach the damn QB to play the position and succeed. More than anything, that might be what I am looking forward to the most, whether it be TLee POB or TG.

Yeah it's nice when they go get a personal QB coach on their own, but at what point do you hold the QB coach accountable like you do the OL coach or any other position coach. Just because they are both the OC and QB coach doesn't mean they can't improve the QB's skills. The coaches need to be held accountable.

The 10th assistant could be a QB coach I suppose since Banker will no longer be a position coach AND coordinator. Maybe Langs should only be a coordinator too, who knows.
lol DL has put several QBs in the NFL. That's why the NFL hired him as a QB coach. No QB coach in the world was going to help Tommy Armstrong. DL is one of the best in the business.

I like him because he is a QB. Havent had one in a while. As in, he is actually playing the position he should be playing

I guess I don't see how or why it would be a big transition. It seems like they already have in most of their passing concepts. They will probably move away from the zone read staff and utilize more swing and spot passes, like we did when Fyfe started against Maryland, but it seems like that stuff is already in the playbook. Maybe we will see more bootleg off the outside zone? Still don't see a big adjustment for the O.
This. And a comment, most qb's are very agile and can run passably. We will have a qb involved run game; it can give you a numbers advantage - maybe a qb who will pitch when needed is a better option on some plays. Coaches like the idea and will adjust by results. .... TA regressed when the mood hit him. I called it going playground ( back to the back foot and such ). Also heard repetitiously, he missed seeing the man running uncovered on the field ( probably open due to play design ); often throwing into double coverage. He at times showed every sign of being corrected, and had good results...

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
This. And a comment, most qb's are very agile and can run passably. We will have a qb involved run game; it can give you a numbers advantage - maybe a qb who will pitch when needed is a better option on some plays. Coaches like the idea and will adjust by results. .... TA regressed when the mood hit him. I called it going playground ( back to the back foot and such ). Also heard repetitiously, he missed seeing the man running uncovered on the field ( probably open due to play design ); often throwing into double coverage. He at times showed every sign of being corrected, and had good results...
This. I remember thinking numerous times this year, even during our opening seven game win streak, "how come even mediocre teams always seem to cover our receivers so well? Why can't our guys get open against their lousy secondary?". But it suddenly dawned on me about halfway through the season: "hey, some of our receivers are getting open. And often. The play designs are working. Armstrong just does not see the open guy, and if he does he can't hit them consistently". At the start of the season I was a huge TA sunshine pumper. But by the end I realized he was more of a liability than an asset. It really is a shame he was really our only option this year.

I can't believe people are still talking about O'Brien. Lee is an NFL prospect right now. I posted this awhile ago and paste it here below.

Lee can make all the throws the staff require him to make. He's good in the screen game and he's got a nice deep ball too. As they say, he can really spin it! His wheels are good enough that he can keep defenses honest. He can scramble fairly well when he needs to.

I think we need to keep the zone read game with him just to make the opposing defenses having to prepare for it. The NFL scouts like him a lot. We'll just have to wait and see how things go under the lights so to speak but he has a chance to be a 1st rounder. Gotta do it on the field but that 1st round projection is not off base.

He does have eyes in the back of head. He has a sense of when to step up into the pocket to deliver throws. He can move the pocket adequately. I'm really high on the guy. We are very fortunate to have him. I have heard he may be a one and done guy. I don't know about that though. We need him to stay the 2 years.

It's a good thing he has a really quick release because with bad protection he may be running for his life.

I can't believe people are still talking about O'Brien. Lee is an NFL prospect right now. I posted this awhile ago and paste it here below.

Lee can make all the throws the staff require him to make. He's good in the screen game and he's got a nice deep ball too. As they say, he can really spin it! His wheels are good enough that he can keep defenses honest. He can scramble fairly well when he needs to.

I think we need to keep the zone read game with him just to make the opposing defenses having to prepare for it. The NFL scouts like him a lot. We'll just have to wait and see how things go under the lights so to speak but he has a chance to be a 1st rounder. Gotta do it on the field but that 1st round projection is not off base.

He does have eyes in the back of head. He has a sense of when to step up into the pocket to deliver throws. He can move the pocket adequately. I'm really high on the guy. We are very fortunate to have him. I have heard he may be a one and done guy. I don't know about that though. We need him to stay the 2 years.

It's a good thing he has a really quick release because with bad protection he may be running for his life.
Good stuff Morgan. I do expect our OL play to be much better next year. Healthy and deeper. That plus the ability to run and throw on early downs, should mean he won't be running for his life.

I can't believe people are still talking about O'Brien. Lee is an NFL prospect right now. I posted this awhile ago and paste it here below. .

Seriously, the nerve of some people to hope POB is a stud who wins the job...and how anyone can't see through the incredibly average results and numbers Lee has put up so far, and not the obvious first round NFL arm is beyond me to!!

Seriously, the nerve of some people to hope POB is a stud who wins the job...and how anyone can't see through the incredibly average results and numbers Lee has put up so far, and not the obvious first round NFL arm is beyond me to!!
Nice try! Your reading comprehension needs work. I never said anything about being an obvious 1st rounder. He's got the potential, the size, and a good arm.

Nice try! Your reading comprehension needs work. I never said anything about being an obvious 1st rounder. He's got the potential, the size, and a good arm.

You like Lee so much you said "I can't believe people are still talking POB" You did use the words "first rounder" when talking about Lee. No, you didn't say "obvious", but I don't think that makes the rest of my post or point moot either.

You like Lee so much you said "I can't believe people are still talking POB" You did use the words "first rounder" when talking about Lee. No, you didn't say "obvious", but I don't think that makes the rest of my post or point moot either.
I'm not sure why you guys are still bickering about hypotheticals. I just hope both of these kids are as good as their respective boosters think they are.

Lee could be the next zac taylor, only bigger with a stronger arm. At least i hope so.
Whoever starts next year, at least they wont be taking lessons from this guy this summer...

Brett-Favre-touched-Dak-Prescott-e1476713511235.jpg

889c0f40eec95671a6c0cfb1d53f62d8260eba1ddabff2a845a93b36dbc18bfc.jpg

Reactions: HuskerO
Sounds like Sam Keller 2.0.. I'll wait and see what happens up front before I get excited about anything. N football is very average right now on both LOS..

Sounds like Sam Keller 2.0.. I'll wait and see what happens up front before I get excited about anything. N football is very average right now on both LOS..

Average is not Top 25 and 9-3. Nobody said we were NC contenders. I get it. You miss being elite. We are not elite.

People talking about Lee being a 1 and done makes me lol!

I wouldn't mind him being a one and done if it meant that he had a hell of a year and led us to the playoffs...

If he leads us to 11 wins, hope he comes back.

If he leads us to only 6 wins, hope he is one and done! (of course year 2 in Riley's system has shown much improved qb play)

I hope Lee is all he's cracked up to be and then some, and that he gets to play behind an offensive line that's not a sieve. But I can only imagine the hysterical laughter we would be hearing on this board if fans of [insert program we don't like] were pointing at Tanner Lee and saying, "This is the QB who's taking us to the top of our division."

Is the line play going to be improved because if not his coolness will be tested

Everyone is cool till your OT whiffs on a block and a DE is breathing down your neck lol.

But seriously i hope all the talk about the kid is warranted. As someone who has seen this soooo many time my expectations will be tempered until i see it LIVE when it really counts and matters. that said for the first time in a while I am looking forward to seeing what we all think and hope will be better QB play.

holla

Rather that straight zone read - I think Langs needs to add the RPO stuff especially for Lee. QB reads hand-off first, then quick pass, then runs if both are not there. Typically - the QB only ends up keeping it a few times a game (and it is more like a scramble - gets a few yards to stay on pace for down and distance). Run all the West Coast stuff they want - and sprinkle in some 2015 style zone read....but adding RPO with a QB that can make the pass reads........would help take the offense to the next level. Also it gets the Oline attacking and not on their heels in pass block all the time.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Rather that straight zone read - I think Langs needs to add the RPO stuff especially for Lee. QB reads hand-off first, then quick pass, then runs if both are not there. Typically - the QB only ends up keeping it a few times a game (and it is more like a scramble - gets a few yards to stay on pace for down and distance). Run all the West Coast stuff they want - and sprinkle in some 2015 style zone read....but adding RPO with a QB that can make the pass reads........would help take the offense to the next level. Also it gets the Oline attacking and not on their heels in pass block all the time.
Off the Heels is music

Gruden was just talking about Robert Kelley for the Redskins, running back from Tulane. He said Kelley is good after contact because his line was so bad at Tulane, he had no other choice but to learn how to run after contact.

Just something to think about when discussing Tanner Lee's time [stats] at Tulane.

Gruden was just talking about Robert Kelley for the Redskins, running back from Tulane. He said Kelley is good after contact because his line was so bad at Tulane, he had no other choice but to learn how to run after contact.

Just something to think about when discussing Tanner Lee's time [stats] at Tulane.
I heard it too. Thought he added "because I usually got hit behind the line of scrimmage".

Reactions: GBRhuskers

Wow after scrambling for a negative 287 yards in two seasons at Tulane and throwing 23 TDs vs 21 INTs while taking 42 sacks this guy must have really turned the corner to be ready for the NFL after one season and a scout season at UNL. I can hardly wait !!! ... yeaaa uh-huh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT