ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner Lee

It's going to be a nice change.

"Boy, he's just Joe Cool back there," linebacker Josh Banderas said. "He's not jumpy. He's been there, done that. He's just sitting back there and what I really like about him is people like him. People like him. He's got an ability — when things go wrong or the scout team's messing up — he's got the ability to bring the guys in, calm them down and set them right. He's just smooth. Fit in with anybody."

Last edited:
I will believe the hype when I see it. However, all things are sounding good. There's that thing called maturity that Tanner has. He's going to be 22 years old next fall. Techincally, if he QBs for two years here he'll be a fifth and sixth-year senior. He will be the starter next September.

He may just be reminding all; because has been one heck of a FB player and come here. He got stars and won competitions; made the Elite 11; hoping we have an embarrassment of riches.
Plenty of QBs have won competitions or this that and the other. Mr Johnny Stanton had that same hype. With Tanner Lee we have a veteran that has the experience. Give time for Gebia and POB so we don't have to go through 4 years of the ups and downs like we have the last 8 years.

Plenty of QBs have won competitions or this that and the other. Mr Johnny Stanton had that same hype. With Tanner Lee we have a veteran that has the experience. Give time for Gebia and POB so we don't have to go through 4 years of the ups and downs like we have the last 8 years.

Yah I remember Dilfer pimping Stanton. Not sure POB ever got that same personal treatment.

Reactions: jjensen30
Wait, this guy's only offer out of high school was Tulane. He was a 2-star recruit. No way he's what every player on the defense said he was.

No. possible. Way.

Well to be fair...if Banderas is rushing, there is no real need to be jumpy...just stand still and he'll miss you. This guys hasn't done anything yet but leave Tulane. We'll see.

Reactions: huskerdude88
POB is a freshman. Let him have some time to develop and get his hours of reps against real college players.

Could I not say the same about our Tulane transfer? "Let him have some time to develop and get his hours of reps against real college players" Something tells me B1G defenses > AAC defenses.

I'm rooting for POB, and if he wins the job I'm going to be super obnoxious for predicting it.

Could I not say the same about our Tulane transfer? "Let him have some time to develop and get his hours of reps against real college players" Something tells me B1G defenses > AAC defenses.
He's had plenty of snaps at college level he also has the maturity. POB has 0 snaps

I'm rooting for POB, and if he wins the job I'm going to be super obnoxious for predicting it.

Lee has played against SEC and I believe ACC talent in addition to teams like Houston etc. He's faced "real college players". Given how crappy his offensive line was his Sophomore year, I don't think he's worried about ours one bit.

2014 Season- Tulsa, Georgia Tech, South Eastern Louisiana, Duke, Rutgers, UCONN, UCF, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, East Carolina, Temple

2015 Season- Duke, Georgia Tech, Maine, UCF, Temple..then injury and out for the season....

Don't see any SEC teams in there, and does Georgia Tech and Duke really count for "ACC teams"?

2014 Season- Tulsa, Georgia Tech, South Eastern Louisiana, Duke, Rutgers, UCONN, UCF, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, East Carolina, Temple

2015 Season- Duke, Georgia Tech, Maine, UCF, Temple..then injury and out for the season....

Don't see any SEC teams in there, and does Georgia Tech and Duke really count for "ACC teams"?
I stand corrected then. I thought they played Georgia. Temple, Houston and East Carolina all have had some pretty good defensive talent.

Reactions: brianm1202

And POB's played how many college teams?

Reactions: brianm1202
I would say it is a good thing that our players and coaches are giving Lee high praise. Seems he is accurate with the ball and a good guy to boot. The opposite would be a bummer, as we would be pinning our hopes on a RS frosh and a true frosh, who have never taken a college snap. For Litespeed, if POB does best Lee in competition, he's probably ready to play at a high level. I see our QB situation as a win/win right now.

In the video in the OPs link, they talked about T. Lee starting two years and then wondered whether POB would think about transferring because he wouldn't get his turn until his RS junior year.

Many QBs sit behind and wait their turn at P5 schools unless:
1. You are awesome and ready for the bullets to be flying
2. The older QBs on the team suck and have little potential

In order to start, you need to beat the players ahead of you at your position (Just ask Pelini :rolleyes:). If you cannot beat them and prove you are better in practice, you need to improve and get better and be ready to take over when that player leaves/graduates.

As we obviously know from this season, injuries happen at the QB position. There is no reason for POB not to fully believe that he is one play from being the man at any given time the next two seasons.

Hell, the same goes for Gebbia. TA and Fyfe both went down and the team had to settle for an injured QB playing instead of a 3rd string guy.

Reactions: dinglefritz

2014 - Georgia Tech (11-3) and Duke (9-4) finished 1st and 2nd in their division.
2015 - Georgia Tech (3-9) and Duke (8-5) finished 7th and 4th in their division.

Maybe not the best year in and year out, but in 2014 they counted as ACC teams.

Litespeed with POB is starting to sound like Red Rover and Archie with Riley.

I hope Lee is awesome, we're rooting for the same thing, but so far he's been a whole lot of average against less than average competition. Seems like we should all be hoping POB is the real deal and can win the job.

2014 - Georgia Tech (11-3) and Duke (9-4) finished 1st and 2nd in their division.
2015 - Georgia Tech (3-9) and Duke (8-5) finished 7th and 4th in their division.

Maybe not the best year in and year out, but in 2014 they counted as ACC teams.

Happy to give you those two teams.

Here are his stats from those two teams in 2014

Duke in 2014 14/35 160 total yards with 0 TD's & 3 INT's

Georgia Tech 2014 13/24 173 yards 2TD's & 3 INT's

Georgia Tech 2015 was 14/30 165yards 1TD 1 INT

I was trying to sound like somebody who's tired of average. Fail on my part.

I actually thought it was more like Tulsa Tom and Mitch Mustain or whoever the QB of the moment was back in the day.

But for real, if you are a true blue POB believer, and he may well be the real deal someday, its only a good thing for NU if Lee is better now.

It means we did good, twice.

Its important to note that even at this stage, Langsdorf sorta went out of his way to note that POB was young and would really only have the advantage at this point in time, in playing his career entirely in the Husker system vice coming from another one. Lee would have the edge in basically everything else, including overall college experience.

He ended with a "good battle" take, and it probably would be one. But it would probably take a pretty good effort by POB to beat Lee. Which if he does, I've got no pride in predictions, I'd just as happily take a Dak Prescott/Romo situation here, than wondering who in the heck is going to be able to play period.

There have been a few QBs that had good jumps from their first couple years starting to their third year.

Here are some examples:

Matt McGloin completed 54% his passes, threw 22 TDs and 14 INTs combined in his first two years starting at Penn St.
His third year, his completion percentage went up to 60.5%, threw 24 TDs to only 5 INTs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vince Young was 59% with 18 TDs and 18 INTs his first two years.
His third year he threw 65% with 26 TDs to 10 INTs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JaMarcus Russel first year - 50% 9 TD 4 INT; second year - 60.5 15 TD 9 INT
Final Year - 68% 28 TD to 8 INT

Hopefully Tanner Lee can improve like these guys did. Maybe he won't. We will find out next year.

I hope TLee, POB, and Gebbia are all the real deal and we have an awesome 'problem' at the QB position.

I hope none of them are busts. We need talent and consistency at the position.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I think any argument about the passing stats has to be prefaced with this seemingly intriguing tidbit that was thrown out at the end of the season. (I can't verify but for the sake of argument...).

Against peer competition (the Wisky's, Iowa's, OSU's etc of the world) TA was closer to 30% passing than 50% or 60% passing.

IMO, if Tanner Lee is a steady 55% passer against peer competition, we'll be better offensively than we have been. That's assuming he won't have any improvement over his Tulane situation which is probably bogus.

Reactions: timnsun

Nebraska would be hard pressed to beat Duke these days.

I think any argument about the passing stats has to be prefaced with this seemingly intriguing tidbit that was thrown out at the end of the season. (I can't verify but for the sake of argument...).

Against peer competition (the Wisky's, Iowa's, OSU's etc of the world) TA was closer to 30% passing than 50% or 60% passing.

IMO, if Tanner Lee is a steady 55% passer against peer competition, we'll be better offensively than we have been. That's assuming he won't have any improvement over his Tulane situation which is probably bogus.

Well he's under 50 percent against the ACC, but like you, I'm hoping he does better against better competition. I'm rooting for it guys....i'm rooting for awesome and to be honest I don't really care who we get it from. I'm not anti Lee by any stretch. I just ain't sure where all the potential accolades are coming from.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT