ADVERTISEMENT

Talent -v- Discipline

Sep 22, 2019
Iowa has more discipline. They are close in talent in the aggregate. Their defensive lineman Luke Van Ness talked about the safety after the game. He remained disciplined and saw Nebraska pull the center. It goes on and on. Their team was impacted by flu, and they talked about how they had to remain disciplined in order to win given the challenges their roster presented.

So we get on here and bitch about in game coaching, but it seems these are fundamental issues solved by drills, practice reps., essentially very simple things.

How is this not a proactive issue, and how is this not coaching? What am I missing? Was the culture so horrible 5 years ago that it has taken this long?

I played football at the FBS level without getting into details, and I just can't see the answer being anything different than we practice incorrectly. And I've heard this numerous times.

I don't come on here and bitch often, and I don't bash other teams, but to me unless this changes, Nebraska doesn't change.

I'm assuming when we pulled the center on the safety this was on the player, not on the coaching staff. If not, that changes everything. But in the postgame Frost said a player missed an assignment. And I am confused about this statement, but I know I'll never get an answer as to what really happened.

Even in the stands Friday the Iowa fans knew what they were talking about. One fan commented to me that Iowa looked undisciplined, and they should have taken the field goal instead of gone for the touchdown. At the end of the game he commented Iowa shouldn't be in this position. 3 points on a field goal and a fumble by the goal line. He was respectful, but he was also pissed about Iowa's performance. I asked him what he thought about Nebraska, and he broke down our QB, safety and RB in three minutes. Then he made the comment that stuck with me, and still bothers me. He said if Bo coached this team, with this amount of talent, Nebraska wins at least 8-9 games.

I think the guy was right.

Discuss.

He spoke highly of them, especially safety, where he though we had speed. He also said he thought pass coverage was good.

I should add he was critical of Iowa's offensive line. Maybe critical isn't the right word, but he wasn't happy. But he did clarify they were pretty young, and that Iowa had several players go early, and as a developmental program had issues on the o line.

Another takeaway was he said this wasn't ever Iowa's year, and almost everyone realized this. He made some comment about college football is unpredictable due to the transfer portal and offseason dynamics, but in a static world, Iowa should be very, very good for the next several seasons.

I think he probably played at Iowa. He was in his 50's, and looked like he could still play football.

• Haha
Reactions: KeoKuKclanman
It’s why we are getting a new offensive staff
As I see it, offensive production hasn't been an issue.

The guy at the game turned to me in the second half, and said Iowa's has shut Nebraska down. He pointed to the statistics and said Iowa should be up two scores they are now doing everything they need to do to win. He then broke down how Iowa adjusted to take away the edge, and after a punt said Nebraska will be lucky to not get a punt blocked. He said Iowa sent a test rusher. Next punt? Guess what?

Guy knew his shit. Showed no emotion the entire game except on the safety. Even after the overturned Iowa touchdown his only comment was not taking the points was stupid.

we all felt like Bo’s team lacked discipline, but he always knocked out at least 9 wins.
that’s why most felt, ‘hey, if bo can rack up the wins with some of this ‘seat of the pants’ stuff, surely we could do better with a disciplined leader.’

im not sure what his cheat code was to achieve that consistently and seemingly play undisciplined and slow play recruiting every year.

we could all see this team had the talent to at least get to a bowl game, if not much more.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
It seems as though this Iowa fan’s strength isn’t in DB evaluation. No one who knows secondary play can say #18 is both good and fast.

Lack of discipline, fundamentals, etc absolutely has hurt our offensive production. Our point production lags our yard production severely. Iowa may have made some adjustments at the half but we also made mistakes that ended a few of our drives when it looked like we had something going. Eventually we will have a coaching staff that takes care of these things. It seems like a priority for our AD. Ferentz isn’t going to be able to rely on us beating ourselves to win games anymore when that happens.

we all felt like Bo’s team lacked discipline, but he always knocked out at least 9 wins.
that’s why most felt, ‘hey, if bo can rack up the wins with some of this ‘seat of the pants’ stuff, surely we could do better with a disciplined leader.’

im not sure what his cheat code was to achieve that consistently and seemingly play undisciplined and slow play recruiting every year.

we could all see this team had the talent to at least get to a bowl game, if not much more.
I think a lot of people thought Bo's teams lacked discipline because they often played with a high level of emotion. Bo was also coaching when targeting became a referee favorite. We were penalized, but nothing like what we witnessed this year. Stupid, elementary stuff.

The epitome of lack of discipline is the 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers. All phases look like they don't even practice. And if they do practice, we all wonder what they are practicing, exactly.

When Bo was fired, I remember turning to my family who were in town for Thanksgiving and saying, "All right, Nebraska fans - you really asked for it this time."

I think a lot of people thought Bo's teams lacked discipline because they often played with a high level of emotion. Bo was also coaching when targeting became a referee favorite. We were penalized, but nothing like what we witnessed this year. Stupid, elementary stuff.

The epitome of lack of discipline is the 2021 Nebraska Cornhuskers. All phases look like they don't even practice. And if they do practice, we all wonder what they are practicing, exactly.

When Bo was fired, I remember turning to my family who were in town for Thanksgiving and saying, "All right, Nebraska fans - you really asked for it this time.
That made me laugh out loud. I can just picture a dude randomly turning to a bunch of people eating pie and saying “All right, Nebraska fans- you really asked for it this time.”

I even had a PA system.
Sad thing is it turned out you were right. Whatever Bo hasn’t done since he left there is no doubt we would have been better off riding that guy for a couple more years.

Except for the 1st half of Riley’s 2nd year we have been in football hell since Bo left.

• Love
Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
We were penalized, but nothing like what we witnessed this year. Stupid, elementary stuff.
this has been on ongoing issue for 20+ years.
to say this was the worst, seems to be revisionist.
i looked it up, and we’re ~35th for lowest in penalty yards per game.
we had breakdowns, but I think we’ve hovered in the lower quartile for the better part of the previous 2 decades.
this is an improvement.

Sad thing is it turned out you were right. Whatever Bo hasn’t done since he left there is no doubt we would have been better off riding that guy for a couple more years.

Except for the 1st half of Riley’s 2nd year we have been in football hell since Bo left.
Agreed. If people want to say "we are close," look no further than how close Pelini had us on multiple occasions. Multiple CCGs, multiple 10-win seasons, etc.

Did we like the blowouts and close losses in the CCGs? Nope. But at least we were playing in them.

Years ago, Frost made the statement that his teams would play fast with no fear of failure. My takeaway is that mindset breeds a culture of reckless play and poor fundamentals. At UCF, he could go back and forth with a team scoring touchdowns. If they gave one up, they would easily get one back and eventually boat race the other team. That's not the case in the Big ten. Every possession matters, and when we sabotage ourselves and kill drives, we lose time of possession, the potential of points and rest for our defense. Every punt matters. Every punt return matters. Details.

I expect each team in a game to make penalties with false starts, holding and pass interference. No one plays perfectly. But do we make more than our share?

We talk a lot about identity and I think it's still coming into focus. The UCF experience is a failure in this conference. So in a way, Frost has had to reinvent himself. Iowa knows exactly who they are. Sound fundamental play along lines, reliable special teams and minimizing mistakes. They know they can't get good quarterbacks, but they can manufacture points as needed and they can develop offensive and defensive lineman.

Whether Frost gets it or not, I do not know. I think he knows what to do, but I don't think he really knows how to implement a culture of discipline and accountability. Some things have come out the last few days that indicate he runs things a little loose in the locker room.

this has been on ongoing issue for 20+ years.
to say this was the worst, seems to be revisionist.
I meant to say undisciplined this year as in the stupid, avoidable and self-inflicted penalties. I don't remember a year quite like this one, where it was a running joke for commentators to make jokes about how many false-starts we'd have on a particular drive.

Reactions: scarletred
I meant to say undisciplined this year as in the stupid, avoidable and self-inflicted penalties. I don't remember a year quite like this one, where it was a running joke for commentators to make jokes about how many false-starts we'd have on a particular drive.
oh no, that’s been a shit show for years. maybe it’s magnified by how we blew so many opportunities in most games.

Years ago, Frost made the statement that his teams would play fast with no fear of failure. My takeaway is that mindset breeds a culture of reckless play and poor fundamentals. At UCF, he could go back and forth with a team scoring touchdowns. If they gave one up, they would easily get one back and eventually boat race the other team. That's not the case in the Big ten. Every possession matters, and when we sabotage ourselves and kill drives, we lose time of possession, the potential of points and rest for our defense. Every punt matters. Every punt return matters. Details.

I expect each team in a game to make penalties with false starts, holding and pass interference. No one plays perfectly. But do we make more than our share?

We talk a lot about identity and I think it's still coming into focus. The UCF experience is a failure in this conference. So in a way, Frost has had to reinvent himself. Iowa knows exactly who they are. Sound fundamental play along lines, reliable special teams and minimizing mistakes. They know they can't get good quarterbacks, but they can manufacture points as needed and they can develop offensive and defensive lineman.

Whether Frost gets it or not, I do not know. I think he knows what to do, but I don't think he really knows how to implement a culture of discipline and accountability. Some things have come out the last few days that indicate he runs things a little loose in the locker room.

I agree with large parts of this, and go back to the Iowa fan saying Iowa going for a TD, and not taking points was stupid.

I would also say Frost is closer to this than when he started. Whether that's players, or whether that's a change in philosophy I'm not sure. I suspect it is both for reasons I won't bore you with.

The hard truth is we need to be more like Iowa. Maybe not the message board version, but certainly their team, their coach, and the guy I encountered in the stadium Friday. Because even if you take away his very detailed knowledge, his bigger picture things about how to win in the B1G was spot on.

Dude was unemotional, and when he piped up, it was at times no one really was excited. Once after an Iowa punt he said they need to cover that, touchback isn't good here. I mean the guy made comments after punts, and remained silent after an overturned TD. Maybe that's from watching Iowa football, but I'd take some of that attention to detail in our coaching staff right now. His comments were timely, inside baseball, and spot on. And I believe very insightful about how to win B1G football games.

• Haha

He found out the first year that playing fast with no fear of failing didn’t work and he even lost the Northwestern game because he failed believing in him team with that motto..

His biggest lesson he hasn’t learned is having discipline and sound special teams..

I agree with large parts of this, and go back to the Iowa fan saying Iowa going for a TD, and not taking points was stupid.

I would also say Frost is closer to this than when he started. Whether that's players, or whether that's a change in philosophy I'm not sure. I suspect it is both for reasons I won't bore you with.

The hard truth is we need to be more like Iowa. Maybe not the message board version, but certainly their team, their coach, and the guy I encountered in the stadium Friday. Because even if you take away his very detailed knowledge, his bigger picture things about how to win in the B1G was spot on.

Dude was unemotional, and when he piped up, it was at times no one really was excited. Once after an Iowa punt he said they need to cover that, touchback isn't good here. I mean the guy made comments after punts, and remained silent after an overturned TD. Maybe that's from watching Iowa football, but I'd take some of that attention to detail in our coaching staff right now. His comments were timely, inside baseball, and spot on. And I believe very insightful about how to win B1G football games.
Maybe we should hire him as special teams coach? And he could help out Bolt too since his comments were ‘inside baseball’. I like it!

So we get on here and bitch about in game coaching, but it seems these are fundamental issues solved by drills, practice reps., essentially very simple things.

I played football at the FBS level without getting into details, and I just can't see the answer being anything different than we practice incorrectly. And I've heard this numerous times.

I don't come on here and bitch often, and I don't bash other teams, but to me unless this changes, Nebraska doesn't change.
Well said. To look at it logically, if you believe the adage "As you practice, so shall you play" and you hear Scott Frost every week say his team practiced very well, shouldn't we question the practices themselves when we see this team beat itself every week?

The way this team plays, it makes me think that they practice so fast that coaches aren't given the time they need to correct mistakes. Or demand perfect execution.

Do they still practice in the morning? Where is that getting us?

People clamor for a special teams coordinator. But it's an easy bet that Scott Frost's practice plan dedicates less time or emphasis to special teams than all other conference schools.

He found out the first year that playing fast with no fear of failing didn’t work and he even lost the Northwestern game because he failed believing in him team with that motto..

His biggest lesson he hasn’t learned is having discipline and sound special teams..
And an incredible blind spot when it comes to evaluating, recruiting and developing quarterbacks. Why he still thinks Martinez can change his stripes 5 years later I'll never know.

Reactions: scarletred
I am sure that is a primary point every coach in the Big 10 pounds home to his team before playing Nebraska. "Play smart. Play hard. Nebraska will beat itself with mistakes."
That hurts my heart to read that, because it's true

Maybe we should hire him as special teams coach? And he could help out Bolt too since his comments were ‘inside baseball’. I like it!

There are 80K people in that stadium. All watching the game differently, all different levels of football acumen. And I spent the entire game more impressed with Iowa fans and their comments than anything else I heard.

Not one critical of Nebraska. Every one objective, and the one guy I would hire as a coach.

The Iowa fans were really my biggest takeaway from the game. Especially the one.

It was really a remarkable thing to listen to them.

There's not a lot I like about the Hawkeyes, but they have quite a few quality players players that become starters in the NFL. That's a pretty good indicator of good coaching.

After Iowa played USC in the Holiday Bowl a few years back I watched an interview with an older USC guy giving a breakdown on the difference in the programs in regard to attention to detail, He said USC players came out to warm up and had no idea where they were supposed to go, He said when Iowa came out they all went to their spots for warm ups and proceeded to start their routines with no coaching direction. The small things do add up.

• Haha
CO

I think one thing your observations are touching on is KF is in year 23, so Iowa fans are well versed in his system.

He has had very little turnover during that time. Two defensive coordinators, three offensive coordinators. He has lost a few position coaches...including one who eventually became the head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

I might be a little off, but the Hawks only have 13 seniors. They will lose linderbaum and possibly Goodson, but the next two years should be solid. I never say great, because there are always teams who radically underperform ...kind of like Iowa State this year.

• Haha
Scott559 after that same bowl game I listened to the announcer for USC and he made comment about watching Iowa practice before the game. He said Iowa spent more time in 1 practice on tackling than he saw USC practice all year together on tackling. it showed.

• Haha
You didn’t play FBS football. Unless you are talking NCAA football on x-box. We preach discipline and we harp on the kids to be disciplined all the time. Iowa just gets more calls and then complains about us complaining on clapping but KF was mad about the PA announcer. First I ever heard of that.

Interesting take.
Here’s my interesting take from being at the game, and it’s not the first time I’ve observed the following. I noticed that Iowa’s fans tend to be larger than fans from other schools with the possible exception of OSU. Even the women are hefty.

Pro: Great for concessions.

Con: You don’t want any of those big boys in your row.

CO

I think one thing your observations are touching on is KF is in year 23, so Iowa fans are well versed in his system.

He has had very little turnover during that time. Two defensive coordinators, three offensive coordinators. He has lost a few position coaches...including one who eventually became the head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

I might be a little off, but the Hawks only have 13 seniors. They will lose linderbaum and possibly Goodson, but the next two years should be solid. I never say great, because there are always teams who radically underperform ...kind of like Iowa State this year.
He has also had very little success during that time

is it kurt or kirk? impossible to remember such an unremarkable person’s name

• Haha
Reactions: CriticalObserver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT