ADVERTISEMENT

Substance only please: Changes?

This staff and their schemes was failing at OSU ( think about what it takes to fail there) NU hires them and instead of looking at things as fresh start and an opportunity to change their approach and schemes - they looked at NU as reaffirmation that they were right and OSU was wrong.

This staff needs to change pure and simple some of that is assistants like our not-so-special teams coach - It is not just one year and they need a little time, sorry these same problems have been going on for a number of years.

Non-starter. Next.

Lots of good posts coming from rational husker fans in this thread. It's really good to see that.

I've seen very few people who are critical comment on my original question. We tried it all yesterday and nobody has much of an answer. The whole 'try another guy' sound great until you try the next guy and realize he isn't any better. Whether that is OL, RB, or QB. We are playing the best we have in the eyes of our staff and there is no evidence what-so-ever that anyone on this staff is playing favorites.

Husker fans need to be patient and take the ride. Riley will be here (IMO) for five years minimum. The people in power (not just SE) know that Nebraska needed a full overhaul. Riley might not be the guy to do it but that's the reality on the ground. He needs time to recruit, get his guys in place, and build. Onward.

Downvote.

Fultz was bad yesterday with punting NW deep. Could have pinned them deep several times but he did not. KO and punt coverage teams are also not up to par this year. Need an infusion of guys that want to make plays. Reed is an expert on special teams and now he just needs the players to execute.

Brown has improved and his leg is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than last year. I don't know who gets credit for that but it's the reality of the situation. We need more athletes on KO and PR but our roster is not so hot. Only thing that is going to help that is infusion of guys - we can certainly agree on that.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Downvote.

I'm the biggest advocate for a down vote function on HOL and would have no problem allowing other to exercise their right to use it. For each down vote I'd earn on a post like this one there would be fifty for the 'fire everyone' posts that exist in this thread. Bring on the down vote function.

I just want to win ball games. We can't afford losing seasons at this point. We are almost dead last in the B1G West. This division is horrible. No coach regardless of it being their first year or not, should be in this position at Nebraska.

Based upon Tommy's history against Purdue. We may lose next week too.
This! Not only are we very close to the worst team in the B1G, but if they rated all 127 D1 teams, we would have to be about 70th or 80th. To think teams like Ohio, Memphis, Tulsa, heck maybe Iowa State would kick our butts, that hurts!

Tom Herman seems not to be happy with fan attendance.......Don't think he would have that problem here.

After drinking a few bloody mary's this morning and reading everything, if we lose to Purdue or Rutgers, the writing on the wall will for Reilly.......

I'll continue to bleed "red" but this is way beyond building a foundation of a program.......especially the likes of Nebraska.

As I stated, if we loose to either Purdue or Rutgers, SE will without a doubt have to make some form of call on this one because the fans, boosters, alumni and every carp in the state of nebraska will be going insane!

... The people in power (not just SE) know that Nebraska needed a full overhaul. ...

I'm the biggest advocate for a down vote function on HOL and would have no problem allowing other to exercise their right to use it. For each down vote I'd earn on a post like this one there would be fifty for the 'fire everyone' posts that exist in this thread. Bring on the down vote function.

Who thinks or thought we needed an overhaul?

EDIT: Who thinks or thought we needed a FULL OVERHAUL?

1. Full week of Tommy practising nothing but screen throws.
2. Langsdorf to tear up run game playbook, and start again. There needs to be an even split of inside and edge running.
3. With the lack of development on the OL, it's time for Cavanaugh to trash the "no substitutions" plan. In particular I would like to see Givens-Price back at RT, Thurston at Center and somebody/anybody getting snaps instead of Utter. As much "respect" as Cabanaugh apparently has in the coaching fraternity, Riley needs to call him to the carpet and make some changes.
4. Newby is not the answer at RB unless there is a huge clear lane. His vision is not good. Like the OL we need substitutions at this position.

And just as a overriding comment, I think the lack of substitutions has definitely hurt team unity. How can you buy into the "team" if you don't get a whiff of playing time while the guy in front of you is struggling terribly? Of all issues that dfloatplane directly on Riley's shoulders, this is the biggest "fail" of all. With his years of experience he should know better.

Come on coach. The kids deserve better....

Matthew.

1. We practice it all the time. We also work on technique all the time. The reality is that Tommy didn't get a lick of QB coaching with the last staff and we can't expect him to suddenly develop into a great QB. He is the best QB on our roster during an offensive transition. Take it to the bank: Tommy is getting good QB coaching. Go ask Eli Manning about it.

2. How so? Yesterday we mixed it up a lot. Tearing it up sounds good on a message board but we have the same OL and RB executing our running attack no matter what. What makes you think tearing it up and starting over would change the result with the players on the field?

3. I've thought Reeves has settled in reasonably well after some early season struggles. I wouldn't object to trying some rotations at Guard but I don't think it would help much.

4. Who then? Taylor is done at RB. Wilbon is done unless he changes some things off the field. That leaves Newby, Cross, and Oz. Newby is the best all-around player for the position on our roster. That doesn't make him great just the best we have right now.

Substituting who and where? We have mixed it up a TON with the roster this year. The OL is the only roster position that hasn't been fluid.

P.S. Thanks for the detailed comments.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
As I stated, if we loose to either Purdue or Rutgers, SE will without a doubt have to make some form of call on this one because the fans, boosters, alumni and every carp in the state of nebraska will be going insane!

This is 100 % incorrect. Bank on it. There will be no call. Riley will be given his time and he absolutely should be.

Who thinks or thought we needed an overhaul?

EDIT: Who thinks or thought we needed a FULL OVERHAUL?

The administration at Nebraska and enough of the BOR to move forward in the way we have. If that wasn't true it wouldn't have happened.

Silly question and responses by the OP. We did see the product on the field, but as has been stated in this post, the game is not completely decided on Saturday, it is decided in the preparation leading up to the game on Saturday. When a previous poster pointed this out, the OP asked what he would do differently in preparation during the week. There are two huge flaws with that question:

1. None of the fans posting on this board know everything that went into the preparation for the game
2. The fans on this board are not football coaches paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to get the team to perform on Saturdays - it is not a requirement that every person complaining about the on-the-field product know everything there is to know about football. That's how life works. Does every person complaining about a company's stock price or our politicians need to know more about the company than the CEO or more about the politics than the president?

It's clear we no longer have a championship culture (or even a winning culture for that matter) in the program. I don't think that is entirely MR's fault, but at 8 games into his tenure, it is a relevant issue, and something that needs to be addressed sooner than later. It's very questionable that after 8 games, they may finally rotate OL during the game. I agree that you can't do much about the dropped passes during the game, but the team was clearly just not mentally prepared for this one. I'm on Twitter, and I saw somebody had retweeted DPE's comment that he's not a fan of the early kickoffs. Sorry, but if that's what players are doing on the day of the game before kickoff, complaining about the timing of the game on social media, that is a serious focus issue. I know these are kids, but this is just not a winning culture right now. Again, not entirely MR's fault, but it's hard to see any improvement in focus or a move toward a winning culture 8 games in.

I hope I'm wrong in my belief here, but I find it hard to imagine the culture improving that much from year 1 to year 2 without making a drastic improvement during this season. And if the culture doesn't improve before the 2016 season, I don't think the record will, either. This is entirely on the coaching staff.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Decide on an identity. And hire a staff consistent with it.

Personally I don't think the west coast/quarters thing fits.

Nebraska's heritage is power, mobile QB offense, ungodly speed on defense, and difference making special teams. We learned about mobile QB's from OU, etc. We learned about defensive speed from the Florida teams. We learned to focus on special teams (1/3 of game, don't let kicks hit the ground, block kicks with speed) from TO.

Stay true to our heritage. I don't want to look like everyone else. I want to be an outlier like TCU, GTech, Oregon, Urban Meyer teams, etc. but in the Husker ways I mention above. That identity will create excitement.

Last edited:
Decide on an identity. And hire a staff consistent with it.

Personally I don't think the west coast/quarters thing fits.

Nebraska's heritage is power, mobile QB offense, ungodly speed on defense, and difference making special teams. We learned about mobile QB's from OU, etc. We learned about defensive speed from the Florida teams. We learned to focus on special teams (1/3 of game, don't let kicks hit the ground, block kicks with speed) from TO.

Stay true to our heritage. I don't what to look like everyone else. I want to be an outlier like TCU, GTech, Oregon, Urban Meyer teams, etc. but in the Husker ways I mention above. That identity will create excitement.
exactly on the money

Do we really want to change the program's identity with every coaching change?

We should be our historical identity. That identity is what we had our success with.

Switching to this system, then another system in 4, 5 or 7 years just gives people the excuse to say the new coach needs to get his players into the system.

Plenty of other coaches come in and get it done the first year.

I can see it now.. we will have POB and trying to run option football when the kid is a junior..

Reactions: ExxHusker
I can see it now.. we will have POB and trying to run option football when the kid is a junior..

Ha, ha. So true. Hadn't thought that far ahead. True about excuse thing too. All the games we lost this year were due to a $3M coach making sub-high school coaching decisions at pivotal moments. 2nd&4 near the end of the game is this staff's worst nightmare.

Reactions: Gimmered
The point of staying in the pocket is because it is too easy to miss wide open receivers when you decide to take off early. Being patient in the pocket and reading the defense is what will make him a better QB (if he can learn to go through his progressions). Tommy is not necessarily a guy that couldn't be a pocket passer. He has a strong arm and can make every throw. More often than not I think his inaccuracy is because of indecisiveness. When he has his guy open, I think he throws the ball accurate most of the time. When his guy isn't open is when he normally makes poor throws.
I understand the purpose of staying in the pocket, but it does not suit him. His strong tendency is to shuffle back and to throw off his back foot while in the pocket, rather than stepping up in the pocket. He is much better outside of the pocket, and he is a better runner than passer. I don't want him to spend the next year and a half learning to do something which doesn't suit him, because it will end up with a lot more losses. Coaches need to make the decisions quick and simple for him.

The List: Every Coach in America

Since you were apparently born yesterday, let me tell you how the REAL world works: money talks, bullshit walks. Throw enough money at someone, and with very few exceptions, they will switch jobs. The exceptions are those coaching at their alma maters, with deep family ties, or the few coaches who are already paid astronomical amounts at can't-miss destinations.

Evidence? Nick Saban was packing his bags for Austin before the news prematurely broke that he was talking to wealthy alumni. Had the rich alums not tried an end-around on the athletic director two years ago he could be sitting in his office at DKR right now. Everyone has their price, and that goes double for college football coaches.

Nebraska's main problem is that they keep trying to do things at thrift store prices, and are shocked when they get thrift store results.
Ah yes, the magically unlimited checkbook that we have available. We can pay the last staff for a year or two , pay the current staff a buyout and outbid Alabama, Texas, Florida, Michigan and the like for 1 of the 4 or 5 sure fire coaches out there. Keep dreamin' Mr REAL world.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and JHball
I do agree that is a bigger factor then many realize. The mental focus of this team is horrible. I think that is why the 4th qt always seems to be that downward spiral, their heads start getting the best of them.
Another big factor is Armstrong, the guy is a competitor and has crazy heart. He is not a passing D1 QB unfortunately this staff just doesn't get it. He is continues to show game after game he can't make split second decision. His accuracy is iffy at best. I am not saying he is the only reason for the struggles but it sure doesn't help
Obviously getting pressure on the opp qb doesn't help. Secondary pass D. I have no idea the reason for these issues. Coaching? Player talent? Lack of effort? Not sure.
One thing I know is we brought in a coach with a touch above .500 record, no championships to his name in 30 some years, and a history of below average teams, and are shocked this team has issues. Basically this team has so many issues it is hard to really pinpoint the main problem. I guess we will see what next year brings
he is a d1 qb just not a qb to throw the ball 50 times. you have to take adavantage of what he does well. run the ball

Silly question and responses by the OP. We did see the product on the field, but as has been stated in this post, the game is not completely decided on Saturday, it is decided in the preparation leading up to the game on Saturday. When a previous poster pointed this out, the OP asked what he would do differently in preparation during the week. There are two huge flaws with that question:

1. None of the fans posting on this board know everything that went into the preparation for the game
2. The fans on this board are not football coaches paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to get the team to perform on Saturdays - it is not a requirement that every person complaining about the on-the-field product know everything there is to know about football.

All due respect, you sound like one more fan that has lots of blame to throw around and absolutely no solutions in mind. I agree that Nebraska doesn't have a culture of winning; however this started a long time ago. We have been a team on the same level as Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota for years now. Suddenly, Mike Riley is supposed to come in and fix things in his first year? Second year? It's a position that lacks merit.

This thread turned into one person asking for thoughts from everyone...only to shoot them all down.

A request for thoughts on a message board traditionally turns into a dialogue. I hope certain posters respond, e.g., Matthew, because they are offering thoughts about the actual game of football. Most are responding with hyperbole or requests to fire people. That was not the intent of the OP. So please feel free to start your own thread begging for coaching changes. In the short term, I'll be discussing Nebraska football with people who are grounded in reality.

Reactions: BigRedballz
West Coast Offense does not work, nor does it fit in the BIG......You can have a balanced attack with a power running game without the WCO. The WCO failed once here and it looks like it is going to fail again.....

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...rman-houston-cougars-football-offense-defense

Can someone link it for me
Where do you get this stuff? We don't run the West Coast Offense. I don't care what Joe Gantz says on the radio. It is absolutely not the West Coast Offense. It is, however, very similar to what Wisconsin and MSU have and do run. West Coast Offense doesn't just mean an offense where you throw a lot. Bill Walsh popularized the West Coast Offense. Bill Callahan ran a variation of the West Coast Offense. Riley runs a variation of the Pro Style Offense. And there are WCO variations which are very run heavy.

Last edited:
A request for thoughts on a message board traditionally turns into a dialogue. I hope certain posters respond, e.g., Matthew, because they are offering thoughts about the actual game of football. Most are responding with hyperbole or requests to fire people. That was not the intent of the OP. So please feel free to start your own thread begging for coaching changes. In the short term, I'll be discussing Nebraska football with people who are grounded in reality.

No

Coach hasn't earned the respect of the team.

I am so bloody tired of hearing this. You are an 18-22 year old kid. Riley is an accomplished 62 year old professional. He is the coach of your team, like it or not. Respect him or get the he!! out of town. Those are your two choices. You are getting paid to play football. Do your job or pound sand!!! A coach can certainly lose respect by his behavior, but he does not have to earn anything. I respect everyone I come into contact with, up until they give me reason not to. That is how the world should work. Riley's job is to coach and teach the kids. Their job is to listen, learn and do their best. If they cannot handle the job that they are being paid to do, then hasta la vista!!!

I am so bloody tired of hearing this. You are an 18-22 year old kid. Riley is an accomplished 62 year old professional. He is the coach of your team, like it or not. Respect him or get the he!! out of town. Those are your two choices. You are getting paid to play football. Do your job or pound sand!!! A coach can certainly lose respect by his behavior, but he does not have to earn anything. I respect everyone I come into contact with, up until they give me reason not to. That is how the world should work. Riley's job is to coach and teach the kids. Their job is to listen, learn and do their best. If they cannot handle the job that they are being paid to do, then hasta la vista!!!
I totally agree with this 100%!

And, your point of "you respect everyone you come in contact with, up until they give me a reason not to" might be the problem. Maybe some of them feel they have a reason?

I don't believe it is what Barry Alvarez wants to run. I read some quotes from him about Wisconsin having a long term vision of being like old time Nebraska. Giant dominating linemen (local boys) powering a dominating running game. They may not get there every year but that is their vision. Brett B. type team. Nebraska's heritage is broader that that - mobile QB, massive speed on defense, Dejaun Groce special teams. But what Riley brings is not Barry's vision. Pretty confident of that.

Oh I wasn't saying that we necessarily run the WCO more of I like the style of offense that Herman runs with the power.

You maybe it is a talent thing but let's be very truthful, no way we should have only three wins right now.

Here are the facts:

1. Riley isn't getting canned, so let's stop talking about it.

2. He was a bad hire, but we have to deal with it.

3. Nebraska does not have the checkbook everyone thinks they do. We needed a young stud coordinator like other schools get, but we got a very mediocre coach who is 62.

4. Nebraska football and all of our tradition are on life support. We are close to being Minnesota. It sucks, but our sellout streak is probably going to end and we won't have much less.

Buckle up fans... Gonna be a long ass road back to anything relevant.

I totally agree with this 100%!

And, your point of "you respect everyone you come in contact with, up until they give me a reason not to" might be the problem. Maybe some of them feel they have a reason?

The only reason they could have in their minds is that Bo told them that they cannot trust anyone else.

The only reason they could have in their minds is that Bo told them that they cannot trust anyone else.
Well, that is the only reason you might think they have. But I don't think it is fair to say it is the only reason they might have. But, I do get what you are saying.

ADVERTISEMENT