ADVERTISEMENT

Switch In Defensive Scheme In The Secondary?

So our DC isn't our DC? That would seem odd and wrong
IMO people are making too much of Butler's influence. Defensive game plans are always a group discussion. Maybe White liked some suggestions Butler had and thought they would work. Clearly there was a break down in either execution, scheme or defensive play calls. They've seen the problemS. Now they have to fix them.

Chances that this threads ends up with a...

"So my buddy is is pretty well connected to the program said that coach _______________ has been drinking, a lot, out at all the bars in lincoln, all the time, totally drunk AND hitting on coeds" Post

50%?

If they get beat at Purdue it is a 100% chance.

Chances that this threads ends up with a...

"So my buddy is is pretty well connected to the program said that coach _______________ has been drinking, a lot, out at all the bars in lincoln, all the time, totally drunk AND hitting on coeds" Post

50%?

If they get beat at Purdue it is a 100% chance.

Spot on, only one thing missing. One of said coeds is pregnant with his child.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
something went wrong on the OT run play. We sold out to stop an inside run I'm guessing based on what we thought the play call would be. Our edge pinched down too tight and our linebackers crashed the LOS. It wasn't so much a problem IMO with the scheme as it was the execution and call for that play. The TD pass following was clearly a blown assignment by a veteran player or players. I think those things are fixable.
Our edges crash down and turn shoulders way to often. If we are slanting left as in the OT play we can't have LB's doing the same. The cutback is always the issue on a slant.

Bottom line. The 33 is vulnerable to a physical offense. We shall see what the rest of the year brings.

One last thought and it stood out at practice was that our ILB's are not as good as they were last year. And I think that's beginning to show.

I do hope those problems are fixable. I just can’t get over how asinine it is to install a new defensive scheme in fall camp, that wasn’t worked on whatsoever in the spring.
Are you saying that cover 4 is a different scheme? It's not uncommon to install new coverages within the base defensive scheme. We had some blown coverages and that sucks. But stopping the run will still be paramount to everything when it comes to defensive success. Cover 4 isn't effecting that.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I am trying to count all of the suggestions and conspiracy theories in this thread so I can send the Cliffs notes to White. He needs someone to tell him what is going on. Apparently he never watches film and listens to his coaches too much, that has to stop now.

I am trying to count all of the suggestions and conspiracy theories in this thread so I can send the Cliffs notes to White. He needs someone to tell him what is going on. Apparently he never watches film and listens to his coaches too much, that has to stop now.
Have you also sent a notice to Donovan and asked him to see what his young, unproven buck was able to do that his uppeclassman hasn't been able to do in 5 years? There is no conspiracy in PFF numbers.

The sad thing is, had Corc not been injured, he likely would have played the entire 69 snaps. Right?

Last edited:
Are you saying that cover 4 is a different scheme? It's not uncommon to install new coverages within the base defensive scheme. We had some blown coverages and that sucks. But stopping the run will still be paramount to everything when it comes to defensive success. Cover 4 isn't effecting that.
The two deep safeties in cover 4 seem confused on their coverage responsibilities. They don’t know whether to continue to drop back or crash down and help with run support. This is effecting our run defense because we need them to help with gang tackling. The defense is simply not good enough to not have safeties blitzing on most downs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Just wondering why our DC completely abandoned his identity from last year.

Reactions: Dylman
The two deep safeties in cover 4 seem confused on their coverage responsibilities. They don’t know whether to continue to drop back or crash down and help with run support. This is effecting our run defense because we need them to help with gain tackling. The defense is simply not good enough to not have safeties blitzing on most downs.
That might be but quarters coverage in and of itself shouldn't hurt run support. I haven't watched the game closely so I can't talk too much about what was happening on the back end. I think we just met a physical team and got pushed around at times. I like our starting front 3 but beyond that we have some guys that are not equipped for that level of physicality.

Could be an interesting year in the BiG for us defensively. We really do need some difference makers at ILB and Im not sure we have that now.

Just wondering why our DC completely abandoned his identity from last year.
Why are you convinced he did? Evidence of that?

Ask yourself some basic questions and find the answers without having to hedge your bets.

After the front 3-4 - what do we have behind them?

Our LB's are pedestrian at best. Not much speed and average in the athletic department. Throw the Jack in there, Sherman as well.

Then the secondary. Quick - name the corners....... Tommie Hill, the guy who has gone back and forth from D to WR and is now the LCB who completely forgot what every high school CB is taught, you never turn your back to the side, always the middle. Then who is on the right side? That would be Marques Buford who was a safety and is now expected to be a corner covering speedy WR's. How about the safeties? Singleton who you have heard very little from, Hartzog is a 5'9" former CB who couldn't cover and is now a safety for crying out loud. How much run support is he going to provide? And probably the guy I am most disappointed in but it may not be his fault is Gifford. You just don't hear his name and he seems slow on the read.

I seriously doubt Butler changed the D for White. They, as a staff, may have realized they do not have the skill back there and are compensating with a deep zone, keep everything in front of you look. You did see what happened to Hill when he was locked up one on one, but I guess you will attribute that to the injury. Ceyair came in and played admirably for Hil.

Here is another thought. Can you imagine how our WR's and Dylan torched this back 7 during the spring and fall? We have some dynamic WR's that taking the top off of things. That had to be eye opening for White and Butler.

Coaches are not stupid. They don't forget anything. They see what other teams do to the teams they are playing and see if they can work it into their scheme. People should have been more concerned about UNI as that was not a one-off. They moved the ball almost at will but when the field got short, they stumbled which falls into our hands.

Ask yourself some basic questions and find the answers without having to hedge your bets.

Our LB's are pedestrian at best. Not much speed and average in the athletic department. Throw the Jack in there, Sherman as well.

Then the secondary. Quick - name the corners....... Tommie Hill, the guy who has gone back and forth from D to WR and is now the LCB who completely forgot what every high school CB is taught, you never turn your back to the side, always the middle. Then who is on the right side? That would be Marques Buford who was a safety and is now expected to be a corner covering speedy WR's. How about the safeties? Singleton who you have heard very little from, Hartzog is a 5'9" former CB who couldn't cover and is now a safety for crying out loud. How much run support is he going to provide? And probably the guy I am most disappointed in but it may not be his fault is Gifford. You just don't hear his name and he seems slow on the read.

I seriously doubt Butler changed the D for White. They, as a staff, may have realized they do not have the skill back there and are compensating with a deep zone, keep everything in front of you look. You did see what happened to Hill when he was locked up one on one, but I guess you will attribute that to the injury. Ceyair came in and played admirably for Hil.

Here is another thought. Can you imagine how our WR's and Dylan torched this back 7 during the spring and fall? We have some dynamic WR's that taking the top off of things. That had to be eye opening for White and Butler.

Coaches are not stupid. They don't forget anything. They see what other teams do to the teams they are playing and see if they can work it into their scheme. People should have been more concerned about UNI as that was not a one-off. They moved the ball almost at will but when the field got short, they stumbled which falls into our hands.
Tommi I think might have turned the way he did because it was the least painful for his foot. He should never have played.

Agree

I really think it has more to do with our lack of man coverage skill in the secondary than anything else

Newsome was one of the best corners we’ve had come through here in a while

I suspect the loss of Newsome and Brown is most of the reason for this

Those guys were very good in man coverage on the outside and in the slot, respectively

Hill and Hartzog/Buford don’t have near the 1 on 1 skills as those two, which means we have to play a lot more zone
Agreed !

Reactions: king_kong_
Our edges crash down and turn shoulders way to often. If we are slanting left as in the OT play we can't have LB's doing the same. The cutback is always the issue on a slant.

Bottom line. The 33 is vulnerable to a physical offense. We shall see what the rest of the year brings.

One last thought and it stood out at practice was that our ILB's are not as good as they were last year. And I think that's beginning to show.
The backers were a concern for me. I questioned our size there.

Tommi I think might have turned the way he did because it was the least painful for his foot. He should never have played.
I find that nearly impossible to believe. If he was already hurt he should have taken himself out, every kid knows to do that. He turned the wrong way despite all of the training and teaching he has had?

I find it telling that everyone is questioning all of it now, all of a sudden after a win but gave up lots of TOP and yards and now a loss where they were exposed.

I find that nearly impossible to believe. If he was already hurt he should have taken himself out, every kid knows to do that. He turned the wrong way despite all of the training and teaching he has had?
Hill getting torched on a double move is nothing new

I find it telling that everyone is questioning all of it now, all of a sudden after a win but gave up lots of TOP and yards and now a loss where they were exposed.
Its about time for you to get off your high horse and answer my Reaction Post #47 to your Post #46 in this thread and my Reaction Post # 32 to your post #10 in the "I don't know much" thread.

You seem to have all the answers, quit dodging the questions....I'm gonna keep asking.

You don't seem to mind telling people when you think they are wrong. Neither do I, answer my questions now that you've been proven wrong.

He was in fact dealing with fascitis before the game but I was grasping at straws trying to explain the inexplicable. 😕

So you’ve clearly never coached DBs.

As a result of losing quickness due to his injury, he tried to cheat and guess what the WR was trying to do. He guessed wrong and got beat badly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT