ADVERTISEMENT

Substance only please: Changes?

The culture is broken. It cannot be fixed this year.

Going forward, I'm not sure that our HC understands the Nebraska culture, and therefore I am unsure that he can fix it before he rides off into the sunset.
What is the "Nebraska culture"?
Admitting functional retards as "prop 48's?
Running away from a conference you couldn't win, but were still competitive in?
Blaming other schools for unequal revenue sharing when your school pushed for the same thing?

It doesn't work like that. You can't force guys to buy in. In any leadership position, the first thing a leader has to do is earn that respect. Once you have that, you will get the buy in. They are basically the same thing.

Sure they can run off the guys that aren't buying in, but that doesn't mean the new guys coming in will buy in any more than the current group.

That's not the proper solution, and it isn't how it works.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you. I honestly dont know if MR has the players' respect or not but;

What is Mike Riley specifically saying or doing to not earn his players' respect?

You are acting like the players couldn't see the lunacy from Pelini. These are smart kids, they know why Pelini was let go and it had nothing to do with 9 win seasons not being enough despite what some say. The AD said lack of championships because that is a tangible thing but everyone could see it had to do with his lack of respect for his bosses, the fans and the entire state of Nebraska. I've been around the working world long enough to have experienced good leadership and bad. Pelini was a bad leader and an even worse representative of the university and state. In the working world his style of leadership leads to people not taking ownership and just doing enough to not get noticed or singled out. That style will not lead to maximizing your potential. I imagine it is the same in this arena. There is a lack of mental engagement by the team at crucial times that I think is still a product of the former boss. I think Riley is actually a good fit to correct this mental condition because his style is the opposite but it will take some time.
Well the only fact here is that neither one of us know if Pelini was a good leader or not. You're making assumptions because you're just hoping and praying that it's true. Maybe Riley is but he sure hasn't proved it yet.

I understand where you are coming from, however I feel Coach keeps the team at arms length. It's not like he is developing guys that will run through walls for him.

We know the guys can play better than this. So it's like trying to say 20+ guys all of a sudden have a problem or an issue, when to me, the person with the issue or problem that needs fixing is the head coach.

If there is a guy here or there with an attitude problem, it's easy to see that the guy himself has the problem.

When it is a much larger group, the problem isn't 20 some individual problems. That is a symptom of a problem at the top.

Which is easier to fix?

We have had two coaches that players would 'run through a wall for'. Bo, because he was an us-against-the-world fire breather. This was okay to an extent but was limited by his obvious lack of self-control (anti-role model stuff). Although some like to make sport of Coach Riley's pleasant demeanor and good-guy persona, these same characteristics made TO a guy that ALL of his players and assistants would sacrifice and battle for. He was repeatedly referred to by players as a father figure. I would much rather have the latter as HC. It will take more than 8 games, after previous coach and his rough exit, to establish that championship culture of sacrifice for a goal, in my opinion.

This game wasn't lost on Saturday, it was lost Monday through Friday. This staff just doesn't seem to be able to evaluate the opponent and exploit their weakness. I really question their time in the film room. Do they even bother or is it they just don't know what they are looking for.

So what would you have done? We tried everything yesterday. Yet you claim we simply aren't doing our homework. So add some substance to your commentary and explain how our group of guys could have better attacked Northwestern's defense.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I think you have to get Pelini out of your head. People think he brainwashed these kids or something. The reality is that these kids liked playing for their old coach. He won a lot of games and when we axed him, the players took it personally because it was like we were saying THEY weren't winning enough. This isn't a Bo thing. It's more of an Eichorst thing. Riley is in a terrible spot and it's not going to get easier any time soon. Kicking off players isn't going to help. He needs to earn their respect at some point and not just because he's the head coach

It's not really that Pelini is in my head; rather, that we are dealing with the consequences of his time in Lincoln. I generally agree with what you are saying. It's hard during a transition, and frankly, I started this thread because I'd like to hear exactly how fans (not you necessarily) think we should improve. We are in a really tough spot as far as mentality, talent, injuries, etc. go. It's all summing into a very difficult situation - as you note.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and HuskerO
Personal opinion, as I agree with most being stated, but I think if Eichorst brings in a big name coach that the kids were excited about, things would be better. The reality is a lot of our players and fans were left shaking their heads at the hire. I think Mike should get a chance, but he is at a huge disadvantage. We also need to be a school that doesn't employee their best friends or family members. We've had that for 10 years. Go get a real defensive coordinator.
Totally agree with this. Big name coach would have gotten the kids attention and respect out of the gate.

Well the only fact here is that neither one of us know if Pelini was a good leader or not. You're making assumptions because you're just hoping and praying that it's true. Maybe Riley is but he sure hasn't proved it yet.
I'm making assumptions that Pelini was a bad leader? Did I assume that he dressed down his players in the most public way on the sidelines? Did I assume that he told us "fairweather f@ckin fans" to kiss his ass on the way out the door. Did I assume that he figuratively and once literally pissed himself when things didn't go his way? I wasn't in the locker room that is true, but all of those public occasions and more are direct indicators of poor leadership. You are correct that I'm hoping Riley is the answer because he demonstrates class and respect. I don't really know if he will be successful but I choose to have faith in him for more than 1 season.

Ugh. Come on, guys. There is literally no evidence to support this kind of statement. You're presuming. Nothing more.
Now obviously Nick Saban is not coming to NU. But your telling me if he did the players would have the same amount of respect for Saban as they do for MR? I don't think thats true. Just knowing I am getting a proven winner would give me a huge confidence boost. I can't say if all the players feel that way but I don't know how they could not at least have more confidence.

My thought is the players respected Reilly at the beginning. You could here it their comments on the Day by Day show that airs on FSMW. But as the season has gone, like all of us who desperately want wins and success, the doubt is creeping in on the minds of the players and the fans. Couple that with the enormus expectations at NU and you create a monster of emotional pressure on these kids.
Add bad habits, questions of loyalty to the former staff, epic injuries with the nasty things that some "fans" will say on social media and you've got a pressure cooker. Their season goals are mostly shot. Right now, they can only play to be the "spoiler team."

I credit this staff with their flexiblity. They have been trying many different things to solve problems. Then they get new problems. It seems endless. Yes I think they could coach better but there is a learning curve to taking over a program and we definetly have a big one.

I just think this is a nearly impossible situation for success for any coach let alone a place like Nebraska.

What the coaches have to do now is lead lilke mature, sensible, hard working men. They need to show the players that adversity is part of life and you deal with it without blaming others. Players will respect this.

Last edited:
Simple fix. Fire AD and entire coaching staff. Bring in proven head coach committed to the power running game and an aggressive defense. Pay whatever it takes to get the best assistant coaches possible. No one is hired unless they have a proven track record as an elite recruiter. Let the best players play, rather than the ones who kiss up to coaches in practice. Dump Adidas for Under Armour or Nike. Stop being the program of aw-shucks corn-fed bozos and play big boy ball again.

Simple fix. Fire AD and entire coaching staff. Bring in proven head coach committed to the power running game and an aggressive defense. Pay whatever it takes to get the best assistant coaches possible. No one is hired unless they have a proven track record as an elite recruiter. Let the best players play, rather than the ones who kiss up to coaches in practice. Dump Adidas for Under Armour or Nike. Stop being the program of aw-shucks corn-fed bozos and play big boy ball again.
Applause1.gif~c200

My thought is the players respected Reilly at the beginning. You could here it their comments on the Day by Day show that airs on FSMW. But as the season has gone, like all of us who desperately want wins and success, the doubt is creeping in on the minds of the players and the fans. Couple that with the enormus expectations at NU and you create a monster of emotional pressure on these kids.
Add bad habits, questions of loyalty to the former staff, epic injuries with the nasty things that some "fans" will say on social media and you've got a pressure cooker. There season goals are mostly shot. Right now, they can only play to be the "spoiler team."

I just think this is a nearly impossible situation for success for any coach let alone a place like Nebraska.

What the coaches have to do now is lead lilke mature, sensible, hard working men. They need to show the players that adversity is part of life and you deal with it without blaming others. Players will respect this.
I agree for the most part. I don't know if MR truly had their respect from the start. At least not all of them.
There is no question that it's a pressure cooker situation. But that is the case at every single blue blood and plenty of programs that aren't blue bloods. So how do those coaches get past the pressure cooker?

Now obviously Nick Saban is not coming to NU. But your telling me if he did the players would have the same amount of respect for Saban as they do for MR? I don't think thats true. Just knowing I am getting a proven winner would give me a huge confidence boost. I can't say if all the players feel that way but I don't know how they could not at least have more confidence.

This is all a non-starter. There is absolutely no reason to be talking about it.

Downvote.

Reactions: canaham
Please supply us with this list of can't miss coaches who would come to Nebraska knowing we fired 2, nine win coaches and a very respected coach that got all of 1 season to prove himself. They don't exist because those guys have other options.

Presuming? Somewhat like we are presuming that Riley will defy his .500 career record, make the current 3-5 season look like an exception, and truly excel at Nebraska?

I'm not having this conversation. Let's talk football or start your own thread. Riley is the HC at Nebraska and will be for years.

anigif_optimized-12113-1425354105-8.gif

1. Full week of Tommy practising nothing but screen throws.
2. Langsdorf to tear up run game playbook, and start again. There needs to be an even split of inside and edge running.
3. With the lack of development on the OL, it's time for Cavanaugh to trash the "no substitutions" plan. In particular I would like to see Givens-Price back at RT, Thurston at Center and somebody/anybody getting snaps instead of Utter. As much "respect" as Cabanaugh apparently has in the coaching fraternity, Riley needs to call him to the carpet and make some changes.
4. Newby is not the answer at RB unless there is a huge clear lane. His vision is not good. Like the OL we need substitutions at this position.

And just as a overriding comment, I think the lack of substitutions has definitely hurt team unity. How can you buy into the "team" if you don't get a whiff of playing time while the guy in front of you is struggling terribly? Of all issues that dfloatplane directly on Riley's shoulders, this is the biggest "fail" of all. With his years of experience he should know better.

Come on coach. The kids deserve better....

Matthew.

1. Full week of Tommy practising nothing but screen throws.
2. Langsdorf to tear up run game playbook, and start again. There needs to be an even split of inside and edge running.
3. With the lack of development on the OL, it's time for Cavanaugh to trash the "no substitutions" plan. In particular I would like to see Givens-Price back at RT, Thurston at Center and somebody/anybody getting snaps instead of Utter. As much "respect" as Cabanaugh apparently has in the coaching fraternity, Riley needs to call him to the carpet and make some changes.
4. Newby is not the answer at RB unless there is a huge clear lane. His vision is not good. Like the OL we need substitutions at this position.

And just as a overriding comment, I think the lack of substitutions has definitely hurt team unity. How can you buy into the "team" if you don't get a whiff of playing time while the guy in front of you is struggling terribly? Of all issues that dfloatplane directly on Riley's shoulders, this is the biggest "fail" of all. With his years of experience he should know better.

Come on coach. The kids deserve better....

Matthew.
Very well said. I hope we get to see these changes.

Obviously everyone was upset we lost another close one. I've gone back through and watched yesterdays game again and would like to hear what people think we could do differently. With respect, please don't tell me we should 'run more' or other equivalent notes that don't really explain how we should get the job done better.

The run was stuffed. The pass didn't get the job done. I'm not sure there is anything Langs could have called yesterday that would have worked. I didn't chart the game but we mixed in short, middle, and long yardage throws. We tried lots of variations in the run game. We got dominated. Add in the pick six? Ugh. We were right before half and Northwestern had one first down and a 14-5 lead. Tough to be mad at the defense (see below).

Defense was strong until late in the game. Stinks they couldn't keep it going all game but they eventually found ways to move the chains once they started doing a better job with blitz assignments and we had trouble getting pressure. We have seen that problem before. The only played I hated was the poorly timed corner blitz that require R.I. to have to cover 1 v. 1 down the field. That being said, that's the kind of risk you have to take when you can't get any pressure.

I'm open to a conversation with anyone who wants to talk details.

This season reminds me of Callahan's first and last seasons here. I believe there are some things we could do to increase our success this year, but I don't think they are good for the long term. For example, we could have started in Spring Ball with a heavy emphasis on zone read, and we'd be a much more efficient offense. Problem is, we're not headed in, or recruiting to, that direction. TA is a leader, stellar athlete, and wonderful asset. It's not his fault, but the offense as designed wants and needs a 60-70% pocket passer. TA is in Joe Dailey's 2004 position.

I do believe the staff has attempted to add plays that emphasize his strength. Also, I do believe that TA has improved, and Riley/Langsdorf are responsible for that. As for the defense, well, what can we really do this year? The scheme is solid, in spite of the crazed theories about it's flaws. At the end of last year, one could objectively see that our football team was headed for a rough patch. We were losing these games in the same awful ways. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, USC.....what did our eyes show us? This year has been a continuation.

Frankly at this point I don't think you change much. We are so very, very far away from being an elite team. For lifelong fans like most of us that post here this hurts. At this point, the best thing for NU would be to have all elements around the program accept the cost of rebuilding completely.

The first step is the hardest, and I didn't really get there until Illinois. Step 1: let go of the wins and losses for a time, and instead hold your noses and be patient while the new staff has a chance to work. As difficult as this sounds our new staff deserves the same chance we've given the previous installations. Leave your indignation over losses in abeyance until a more suitable time has passed.

Archie, to your point I think the answer for success lies in the future. This team goes as the quarterback goes. Period.

catch the ball
throw more accurate
don't telegraph the run
run tommie more, northwestern seemed to understand how to have their qb run if the pass wasen't there.
the pick 6
convert more 3 down into first downs
convert more redzone into endzone
why isn't pearson returning kickoff's and punts again?

make complete plays where everyone works together, instead of one person breaking down the play.
then the next play someone else screws up.

there's a fine line between, if a person screws up, and forgeting about it and going to the next play, and not geting mental about it…

or not learning from it.

Is it possible that when you mix poor coaching with shot goals that you start to get what we got?
I don't see "poor coaching." A few boneheaded play calls across a few games sure. The play calling against NW wasn't the problem. The execution was. And by and large I don't see any position groups that are getting under coached. In fact, I would argue a few positions have really flourished under the new staff. If NU has a legit NFL level QB then we're probably undefeated or maybe 6-1. Look around. That is how you win championships in college football in this era...elite QB play. If you don't have that then you have little chance of competing for conference titles...much less national titles. I love TA's competitiveness. However, he simply is limited in this offense. I think MR will be able to bring in the type of QB we need to compete for titles. Yes, the season has been ridiculously frustrating. But think about how close we've been in each game and then think about how a Conner Cook type QB would have changed things.

I don't agree with everything MR had done, but people do need to relax a bit.

We have had two coaches that players would 'run through a wall for'. Bo, because he was an us-against-the-world fire breather. This was okay to an extent but was limited by his obvious lack of self-control (anti-role model stuff). Although some like to make sport of Coach Riley's pleasant demeanor and good-guy persona, these same characteristics made TO a guy that ALL of his players and assistants would sacrifice and battle for. He was repeatedly referred to by players as a father figure. I would much rather have the latter as HC. It will take more than 8 games, after previous coach and his rough exit, to establish that championship culture of sacrifice for a goal, in my opinion.
Do you think Mike cultivates this 'father figure' role?

Outside of some past players that played for him, I don't hear much about how he has mentored kids on the team this year. I get the impression he keeps them at arms length. The article written by his buddy showing the internal conversations of the coaches don't give me warm and fuzzy feelings like this 'father figure' thing is happening either.

Bo certainly took things too far when he went with the Us against the fans type thing, but a coach needs to have a certain amount of what Bo did have, to make the guys respect him and play hard for him.

I do not see those traits in Mike at all. Mike is like, "whatever" and so the team is like "whatever".

I don't see "poor coaching." A few boneheaded play calls across a few games sure. The play calling against NW wasn't the problem. The execution was. And by and large I don't see any position groups that are getting under coached. In fact, I would argue a few positions have really flourished under the new staff. If NU has a legit NFL level QB then we're probably undefeated or maybe 6-1. Look around. That is how you win championships in college football in this era...elite QB play. If you don't have that then you have little chance of competing for conference titles...much less national titles. I love TA's competitiveness. However, he simply is limited in this offense. I think MR will be able to bring in the type of QB we need to compete for titles. Yes, the season has been ridiculously frustrating. But think about how close we've been in each game and then think about how a Conner Cook type QB would have changed things.

I don't agree with everything MR had done, but people do need to relax a bit.
Here's hoping we bring in a juco QB because I think you're right. Tommy works his butt off but this isn't the offense he was meant for. I will say that running stretch plays with Imani Cross isn't coaching, it's just terrible decision making. I expected this kind of thing out of the last staff but not this one. Also, what was the point of the fake onside? Sure fooled them

Do you think Mike cultivates this 'father figure' role?

Outside of some past players that played for him, I don't hear much about how he has mentored kids on the team this year. I get the impression he keeps them at arms length. The article written by his buddy showing the internal conversations of the coaches don't give me warm and fuzzy feelings like this 'father figure' thing is happening either.

Bo certainly took things too far when he went with the Us against the fans type thing, but a coach needs to have a certain amount of what Bo did have, to make the guys respect him and play hard for him.

I do not see those traits in Mike at all. Mike is like, "whatever" and so the team is like "whatever".
I get the same feeling about MR. But is that only his public face? Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

They can't get here any faster. That's the reality. People need to stop pretending like we have been a great team recently, support the staff, and give him his time. If it doesn't work out we will all move forward together once Riley and his staff have an appropriate amount of time at Nebraska - and that sure as hell isn't two years.
Archie how much time do you give a 61 year old man? He isn't exactly killing it on the recruiting trail either.

Holding players accountable would be a good start. Bob Knight always said the bench is the best motivator. If you make repeated mistakes, or give less than 100%, you see the bench for a while. I don't care if we have to play 22 walk-ons, this season is a wash anyway. The rest of the season is about building the culture.

It would also be good if we stop running plays for guys who can't execute (Jamal Turner) and incorporate more option into the offense until we can get a pro-style QB in here. Put playmakers on special teams instead of guys that threaten to transfer.

Reactions: HuskerLegion
Holding players accountable would be a good start. Bob Knight always said the bench is the best motivator. If you make repeated mistakes, or give less than 100%, you see the bench for a while. I don't care if we have to play 22 walk-ons, this season is a wash anyway. The rest of the season is about building the culture.

It would also be good if we stop running plays for guys who can't execute (Jamal Turner) and incorporate more option into the offense until we can get a pro-style QB in here. Put playmakers on special teams instead of guys that threaten to transfer.
Great post.

I agree with the poster that said the games are lost Monday through Friday. It does seem like this staff runs what it runs on both side of the ball. I also think in game management has not been good. Yesterday nebraska could not block 94. Yet did you seem them running any max protect? How about chipping him with a Te or rb? Nope, keeping running the plays and hope for the best.

I have not seen any players not giving 100% and I would hope you guys have proof before throwing out serious accusations like that. If there are players not giving 100% effort and they are still playing, then that is on the coaches for playing them. Really, it just sounds like more excuses. This staff should be held accountable for their results on the field.

Make the game easier for Tommy. They know what his strengths are. I'm sure they're playing for the future, but our current QB needs to have half a field to work with. Get him outside the pocket. And play-action isn't very effective when you can't run the ball.

Yesterday was incredibly frustrating, but we're not changing coaching staffs and shouldn't even consider it. Give the staff a chance to fully implement their system with players that fully understand their system.

That game was a complete "Team Loss." Any one or two plays could have turned the game around.

Tommy throws great balls and then he doesn't.
The WR's make some great catches and then drop some that are right in their hands.
Our run defense looks stout and then the next play, we take terrible angles. I couldn't believe how many times we aimed for their runner's inside shoulder, instead of forcing the run back into the middle of the field.
Our Defense is predicated on great CB play and we are not getting it. Let's hope our Freshmen CB's are ready to step up next year.
We do not have a game-breaker at RB. We need to keep trying the players we have, until one shows "the burst."
The play calling seems great and then it doesn't, but when players don't execute, it's hard to get into a rhythm.
Our O-Line is not consistently opening holes (Ground Hog Day).

Having said all that, we are not getting blown out. RB's are not running for 400 yards against us. We don't have an embarrassment as a Head Coach and it seems like we're a play or two and a player or two of having no losses. Imagine this team with Ameer Abdullah on the field. With his ability and leadership it's not a total stretch to think he makes a 7 point difference in every game and we're sitting here undefeated.

Stay the course, the future looks bright.

Oh boy, this sounds phenomenal. And really simple too. While we're hiring all these "elite recruiters with proven track records",can we leave a spot for Peter Pan on the staff? Maybe as a grad assistant, that would be ideal.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
A lot of this is probably true if you look at it from a perspective of a 19-20 year old student. As much as I wanted Bo gone as a coach, the kids that played for him may have thought 9 wins alone is a great achievement for Nebraska. Hell, we haven't won a championship in any sort the past 15 years. While I respect what Riley did at Oregon State (at least early on in his tenure there), I don't believe his resume would be something the kids would look at and get excited about. I know I wasn't. Being honest about it, Riley was about as much of a "WTF??" hire as you could have gotten. He was starting wear out his welcome in Corvalis, why in the hell was he the best fit for the Nebraska job? Kids aren't stupid. As much as we despised Bo, the players loved him. And as much as we think Nebraska should be competing for championship every couple years, the kids may have believed 9 wins is a great achievement. It's a tough job for Riley. Unfortunately, he has to be given a few years to get his players in here. Even when he does "get his players", I'll say within 3-4 years, we will be no better than we were with Bo at any point and this from someone who thought Bo should have been fired in 2012.

This staff and their schemes was failing at OSU ( think about what it takes to fail there) NU hires them and instead of looking at things as fresh start and an opportunity to change their approach and schemes - they looked at NU as reaffirmation that they were right and OSU was wrong.

This staff needs to change pure and simple some of that is assistants like our not-so-special teams coach - It is not just one year and they need a little time, sorry these same problems have been going on for a number of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT