ADVERTISEMENT

Substance only please: Changes?

Archie Graham

Offensive Coordinator
Apr 12, 2007
Obviously everyone was upset we lost another close one. I've gone back through and watched yesterdays game again and would like to hear what people think we could do differently. With respect, please don't tell me we should 'run more' or other equivalent notes that don't really explain how we should get the job done better.

The run was stuffed. The pass didn't get the job done. I'm not sure there is anything Langs could have called yesterday that would have worked. I didn't chart the game but we mixed in short, middle, and long yardage throws. We tried lots of variations in the run game. We got dominated. Add in the pick six? Ugh. We were right before half and Northwestern had one first down and a 14-5 lead. Tough to be mad at the defense (see below).

Defense was strong until late in the game. Stinks they couldn't keep it going all game but they eventually found ways to move the chains once they started doing a better job with blitz assignments and we had trouble getting pressure. We have seen that problem before. The only played I hated was the poorly timed corner blitz that require R.I. to have to cover 1 v. 1 down the field. That being said, that's the kind of risk you have to take when you can't get any pressure.

I'm open to a conversation with anyone who wants to talk details.

Obviously everyone was upset we lost another close one. I've gone back through and watched yesterdays game again and would like to hear what people think we could do differently. With respect, please don't tell me we should 'run more' or other equivalent notes that don't really explain how we should get the job done better.

The run was stuffed. The pass didn't get the job done. I'm not sure there is anything Langs could have called yesterday that would have worked. I didn't chart the game but we mixed in short, middle, and long yardage throws. We tried lots of variations in the run game. We got dominated. Add in the pick six? Ugh. We were right before half and Northwestern had one first down and a 14-5 lead. Tough to be mad at the defense (see below).

Defense was strong until late in the game. Stinks they couldn't keep it going all game but they eventually found ways to move the chains once they started doing a better job with blitz assignments and we had trouble getting pressure. We have seen that problem before. The only played I hated was the poorly timed corner blitz that require R.I. to have to cover 1 v. 1 down the field. That being said, that's the kind of risk you have to take when you can't get any pressure.

I'm open to a conversation with anyone who wants to talk details.

From what i saw their is a large group of players that should be wearing YSU gear. Cause their heart isn't here.

Is it possible that when you mix poor coaching with shot goals that you start to get what we got?

From what i saw their is a large group of players that should be wearing YSU gear. Cause their heart isn't here.
I do agree that is a bigger factor then many realize. The mental focus of this team is horrible. I think that is why the 4th qt always seems to be that downward spiral, their heads start getting the best of them.
Another big factor is Armstrong, the guy is a competitor and has crazy heart. He is not a passing D1 QB unfortunately this staff just doesn't get it. He is continues to show game after game he can't make split second decision. His accuracy is iffy at best. I am not saying he is the only reason for the struggles but it sure doesn't help
Obviously getting pressure on the opp qb doesn't help. Secondary pass D. I have no idea the reason for these issues. Coaching? Player talent? Lack of effort? Not sure.
One thing I know is we brought in a coach with a touch above .500 record, no championships to his name in 30 some years, and a history of below average teams, and are shocked this team has issues. Basically this team has so many issues it is hard to really pinpoint the main problem. I guess we will see what next year brings

Shot goals? What do you mean?

Probably saying some players feel they have nothing to play for the rest of the year,

Shot goals = goals set forth before the season that are no longer attainable

run on the third and 2s vs a gamble that gave them an easy 6.

if no 1st down conversion, punt and win field position...

dropped passes. i dont know how you change that. 3 were certain scores.

I do agree that is a bigger factor then many realize. The mental focus of this team is horrible. I think that is why the 4th qt always seems to be that downward spiral, their heads start getting the best of them.
Another big factor is Armstrong, the guy is a competitor and has crazy heart. He is not a passing D1 QB unfortunately this staff just doesn't get it. He is continues to show game after game he can't make split second decision. His accuracy is iffy at best. I am not saying he is the only reason for the struggles but it sure doesn't help
Obviously getting pressure on the opp qb doesn't help. Secondary pass D. I have no idea the reason for these issues. Coaching? Player talent? Lack of effort? Not sure.
One thing I know is we brought in a coach with a touch above .500 record, no championships to his name in 30 some years, and a history of below average teams, and are shocked this team has issues. Basically this team has so many issues it is hard to really pinpoint the main problem. I guess we will see what next year brings

Re: Armstrong

It's clear he is playing hurt. There were a number of times yesterday he was moving around with a mild limp. Certainly limits his ability to be a big part of the running attack.

The reality is that our program is in a strange state right now. Our coaches have to continue to work hard to get players to buy in, but in my opinion, if they aren't going to do it they need to move on from the football program.
It doesn't work like that. You can't force guys to buy in. In any leadership position, the first thing a leader has to do is earn that respect. Once you have that, you will get the buy in. They are basically the same thing.

Sure they can run off the guys that aren't buying in, but that doesn't mean the new guys coming in will buy in any more than the current group.

That's not the proper solution, and it isn't how it works.

run on the third and 2s vs a gamble that gave them an easy 6.

if no 1st down conversion, punt and win field position...

dropped passes. i dont know how you change that. 3 were certain scores.

We ran the ball a ton yesterday in multiple field position situations - it didn't matter. You can't cherry pick one play where the QB also happened to make a massive mistake and say Lang made a mistake. On roll outs like that we have both thrown and run for 1st downs this year.

Re: punting. What are the referring to? We tried to punt for field position lots of times yesterday and Sam wasn't quite as sharp as usual.

Drop hurt bad again but as you note I'm not sure how we change that.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and tpmcg
I keep hearing that we let a slow QB break those big runs. I don't know how slow he is but I'm hoping that Banderas is still somewhat limited by injury because he couldn't keep up with that slow QB at all. I watched him run a 11:00s- 100 meters in high school so if it isn't the injury then its lack of heart.
I was screaming at the TV for Riley/Langsdorf to sit Tommy for a series in the 2nd quarter. Right after that he led the best drive of the game. He is very frustrating because of his inconsistency and I believe as some have stated, he has a low football IQ
I don't know what the coaches can do differently from an "in game" standpoint but someway somehow they have to improve the mindset and focus of this team so that the breakdowns, dropped balls, penalties etc... get better, and I believe that has to take place in practice/prep.

It doesn't work like that. You can't force guys to buy in. In any leadership position, the first thing a leader has to do is earn that respect. Once you have that, you will get the buy in. They are basically the same thing.

Sure they can run off the guys that aren't buying in, but that doesn't mean the new guys coming in will buy in any more than the current group.

That's not the proper solution, and it isn't how it works.

No, you can't. And Riley et al. have to earn it.

But you can take it to the bank that there are absolutely still guys on this team that are not giving 100 %. Some not even close. Players on on scholarship at Nebraska because they play football. You give your best or you should lose your scholarship. Thats exactly how it works in academics at Nebraska. I think Riley should have some uncomfortable conversations with our team and let them know where the line in the sand is. We are not going to a bowl game so I'm perfectly comfortable with him bring in the next guy.

The biggest change is hopefully a continuation of the off season lifting program that gets our players as strong, powerful and explosive as possible. The lines have to get and stay healthy (along with the LBs). For Nebraska the lines have to bedrock strong and be the better line that day.

There is a lot of young talent on both sides. Hopefully those guys redshirting and those playing will put in time on their own to get better.

That's the change I want. It won't be seen until next year most likely but has to happen.

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker

But you can take it to the bank that there are absolutely still guys on this team that are not giving 100 %. Some not even close. Players on on scholarship at Nebraska because they play football. You give your best or you should lose your scholarship. Thats exactly how it works in academics at Nebraska. I think Riley should have some uncomfortable conversations with our team and let them know where the line in the sand is. We are not going to a bowl game so I'm perfectly comfortable with him bring in the next guy.
It doesn't work that way for academics at all...you don't have to "give it your best" you just have to keep the correct GPA. There are lots of students that have Regents Scholarships that did not "give their best" but still stay over the 3.5.

It doesn't work that way for academics at all...you don't have to "give it your best" you just have to keep the correct GPA. There are lots of students that have Regents Scholarships that did not "give their best" but still stay over the 3.5.

Correct. There is a line in the sand. It should be the same moving forward for the team. It's time, in my opinion, to let the team know where that line is and hold guys accountable. At this point I'm not concerned if it's a captain. We have some players playing their balls off and others showing up.

Reactions: HuskerLegion
I keep hearing that we let a slow QB break those big runs. I don't know how slow he is but I'm hoping that Banderas is still somewhat limited by injury because he couldn't keep up with that slow QB at all. I watched him run a 11:00s- 100 meters in high school so if it isn't the injury then its lack of heart.
I was screaming at the TV for Riley/Langsdorf to sit Tommy for a series in the 2nd quarter. Right after that he led the best drive of the game. He is very frustrating because of his inconsistency and I believe as some have stated, he has a low football IQ
I don't know what the coaches can do differently from an "in game" standpoint but someway somehow they have to improve the mindset and focus of this team so that the breakdowns, dropped balls, penalties etc... get better, and I believe that has to take place in practice/prep.

Bando had a rough day yesterday. He seemed to be out of position a lot. Presumably that is a combo of a number of factors? (e.g., injuries, new system, etc.)

We ran the ball a ton yesterday in multiple field position situations - it didn't matter. You can't cherry pick one play where the QB also happened to make a massive mistake and say Lang made a mistake. On roll outs like that we have both thrown and run for 1st downs this year.

Re: punting. What are the referring to? We tried to punt for field position lots of times yesterday and Sam wasn't quite as sharp as usual.

Drop hurt bad again but as you note I'm not sure how we change that.
im cherry picking on the punt, too. if we run on that play get stuffed, then punt.

im not sure anyone could give you real substantive changes other than just execute. i think the game plan wasnt all that bad just needed to convert more.

theres been a shit ton of injuries and people just seem to look past those.

im not going to overeact and just start calling for heads.

I understand where you are coming from, however I feel Coach keeps the team at arms length. It's not like he is developing guys that will run through walls for him.

We know the guys can play better than this. So it's like trying to say 20+ guys all of a sudden have a problem or an issue, when to me, the person with the issue or problem that needs fixing is the head coach.

If there is a guy here or there with an attitude problem, it's easy to see that the guy himself has the problem.

When it is a much larger group, the problem isn't 20 some individual problems. That is a symptom of a problem at the top.

Which is easier to fix?

im cherry picking on the punt, too. if we run on that play get stuffed, then punt.

im not sure anyone could give you real substantive changes other than just execute. i think the game plan wasnt all that bad just needed to convert more.

theres been a shit ton of injuries and people just seem to look past those.

im not going to overeact and just start calling for heads.

I see what you mean - can't say I agree on the specifics you mention but your point is noted.

Agree on the rest of your post. More than anything I'm trying to understand exactly what people would do differently. Lots of people (not you) are throwing a fit but they have nothing to add that would improve the end result. We got dominated on offense yesterday, made some bad mistakes, and continue to play with a depleted roster and injury problems. That's where we are at. By the time the game was over I honestly felt that we got beat by the better team. Stinks to say that but Northwestern's defense shut our entire offense down yesterday.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I understand where you are coming from, however I feel Coach keeps the team at arms length. It's not like he is developing guys that will run through walls for him.

We know the guys can play better than this. So it's like trying to say 20+ guys all of a sudden have a problem or an issue, when to me, the person with the issue or problem that needs fixing is the head coach.

If there is a guy here or there with an attitude problem, it's easy to see that the guy himself has the problem.

When it is a much larger group, the problem isn't 20 some individual problems. That is a symptom of a problem at the top.

Which is easier to fix?

This argument holds absolutely no water when you have a new staff. The personality of this team remains torn between the past and the present. To suggest that we make change to the staff (which is not happening) because the former culture is still rooted in a player's personality is a non-starter for me. That mentality is the past. It's over. So move forward with our new staff. If you don't love them but work your butt off? Play every snap? No big deal. But we have guys that aren't even close. And that doesn't even begin to address how some of that kind of attitude can affect a locker room.

This argument holds absolutely no water when you have a new staff. The personality of this team remains torn between the past and the present. To suggest that we make change to the staff (which is not happening) because the former culture is still rooted in a player's personality is a non-starter for me. That mentality is the past. It's over. So move forward with our new staff. If you don't love them but work your butt off? Play every snap? No big deal. But we have guys that aren't even close. And that doesn't even begin to address how some of that kind of attitude can affect a locker room.
That is not what I am suggesting at all. I am suggesting that Coach Riley needs to earn the respect of the team. That is what has to happen. That is the problem that needs to be fixed by 1 guy only.

From what i saw Riley needs to get his own players here ASAP. I'll back any decision he makes to forward that cause.

They can't get here any faster. That's the reality. People need to stop pretending like we have been a great team recently, support the staff, and give him his time. If it doesn't work out we will all move forward together once Riley and his staff have an appropriate amount of time at Nebraska - and that sure as hell isn't two years.

That is not what I am suggesting at all. I am suggesting that Coach Riley needs to earn the respect of the team. That is what has to happen. That is the problem that needs to be fixed by 1 guy only.

Agreed.

One way to earn respect is to show the guys giving 100 % that he will not let Pelini-mentality holdovers hurt our progress as a team. At the end of the day Riley has already gone to the mattress for players (e.g., Lewis) and he has to do what he thinks is the best for the team. I support his decision as it pertains to handling this situation. No question it is a touchy one.

The reality is that our program is in a strange state right now. Our coaches have to continue to work hard to get players to buy in, but in my opinion, if players aren't going to do it they need to move on from the football program.
Sadly, we'd be running off the talented players.

Coach hasn't earned the respect of the team.

No coach on the planet would. There is a massive Pelini stink in the locker room from a large amount of guys. Unfortunately Riley can't get rid of them all right now, but would love to see a ton of guys rot on the bench for the remainder of their time at Nebraska while the true freshman play the rest of the season.

Agreed.

One way to earn respect is to show the guys giving 100 % that he will not let Pelini-mentality holdovers hurt our progress as a team.
disagree with that.. that doesn't earn any respect to me.. that's just a coach taking the easy way out.

You're suggesting he should penalize those guys for his own failure to earn their respect.

That there is where we differ.

disagree with that.. that doesn't earn any respect to me.. that's just a coach taking the easy way out.

You're suggesting he should penalize those guys for his own failure to earn their respect.

That there is where we differ.

I edited my post to add more detail so have a look if you wish. It's Riley's call.

Wait. wait. wait. I'm suggesting that players have brains as well. They are adults. Riley is the leader but these are grown ass men. I'm suggesting Riley should very clearly define his expectations, assess, and hold people accountable. That's what leaders do.

No coach on the planet would. There is a massive Pelini stink in the locker room from a large amount of guys. Unfortunately Riley can't get rid of them all right now, but would love to see a ton of guys rot on the bench for the remainder of their time at Nebraska while the true freshman play the rest of the season.
There is exactly 0% validity in what you just typed. You're just scapegoating at this point. Only the players themselves know if this is the case, and I doubt you are one of them.

This game wasn't lost on Saturday, it was lost Monday through Friday. This staff just doesn't seem to be able to evaluate the opponent and exploit their weakness. I really question their time in the film room. Do they even bother or is it they just don't know what they are looking for.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The biggest change is hopefully a continuation of the off season lifting program that gets our players as strong, powerful and explosive as possible. The lines have to get and stay healthy (along with the LBs). For Nebraska the lines have to bedrock strong and be the better line that day.

There is a lot of young talent on both sides. Hopefully those guys redshirting and those playing will put in time on their own to get better.

That's the change I want. It won't be seen until next year most likely but has to happen.
Is there any NCAA rule why this team couldn't start the S&C program immediately after the season? Not only would it improve the team physically, but a long S&C program would certainly sort out who really wants to put their heart and soul into improving.

There is exactly 0% validity in what you just typed. You're just scapegoating at this point. Only the players themselves know if this is the case, and I doubt you are one of them.

Go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand....

Agreed.

One way to earn respect is to show the guys giving 100 % that he will not let Pelini-mentality holdovers hurt our progress as a team.
I think you have to get Pelini out of your head. People think he brainwashed these kids or something. The reality is that these kids liked playing for their old coach. He won a lot of games and when we axed him, the players took it personally because it was like we were saying THEY weren't winning enough. This isn't a Bo thing. It's more of an Eichorst thing. Riley is in a terrible spot and it's not going to get easier any time soon. Kicking off players isn't going to help. He needs to earn their respect at some point and not just because he's the head coach

Personal opinion, as I agree with most being stated, but I think if Eichorst brings in a big name coach that the kids were excited about, things would be better. The reality is a lot of our players and fans were left shaking their heads at the hire. I think Mike should get a chance, but he is at a huge disadvantage. We also need to be a school that doesn't employee their best friends or family members. We've had that for 10 years. Go get a real defensive coordinator.

I think you have to get Pelini out of your head. People think he brainwashed these kids or something. The reality is that these kids liked playing for their old coach. He won a lot of games and when we axed him, the players took it personally because it was like we were saying THEY weren't winning enough. This isn't a Bo thing. It's more of an Eichorst thing. Riley is in a terrible spot and it's not going to get easier any time soon. Kicking off players isn't going to help. He needs to earn their respect at some point and not just because he's the head coach

You are acting like the players couldn't see the lunacy from Pelini. These are smart kids, they know why Pelini was let go and it had nothing to do with 9 win seasons not being enough despite what some say. The AD said lack of championships because that is a tangible thing but everyone could see it had to do with his lack of respect for his bosses, the fans and the entire state of Nebraska. I've been around the working world long enough to have experienced good leadership and bad. Pelini was a bad leader and an even worse representative of the university and state. In the working world his style of leadership leads to people not taking ownership and just doing enough to not get noticed or singled out. That style will not lead to maximizing your potential. I imagine it is the same in this arena. There is a lack of mental engagement by the team at crucial times that I think is still a product of the former boss. I think Riley is actually a good fit to correct this mental condition because his style is the opposite but it will take some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT