ADVERTISEMENT

Stoltenberg interview

bosomad.gif

Thumb pointer^^

I will admit I don't know much about football, but even the layman could see the last staff lost the team.
No player was pleading for the coaches job
No player followed their coaches to a new school
Had what 1 transfer and 2 drops and one of them zack darlington who thanked everyone but Riley on his way out
Obviously the kids didn’t respect the Riley staff

Kinda like the sub teacher who doesn’t teach anything or make you do your homework
You really like it when she’s there
But you know it was a total waste of time and only made you get behind

Last edited:
Had what 1 transfer and 2 drops and one of them zack darlington who thanked everyone but Riley on his way out
Never thought of it that way. Very true. That should say all anyone needed to know about Smilin Mike and Co. I doubt these kids wanted to be coached by a bunch of lazy paycheck cashers. They want to win. Sad many had to lose 3 years of their career to it.

Kinda like the sub teacher who doesn’t teach anything or make you do your homework
You really like it when she’s there
But you know it was a total waste of time and only made you get behind
You're so full if shit. Just because players didn't do 2 things you listed doesn't mean that they don't respect Riley.

Why would anyone decide to transfer just to have to sit out a year? Which players followed Bo? Oh yeah, two guys who were already dismissed from the team and kicked out if the university.

Darlington not thanking Riley doesn't mean he speaks for the entire team. Shoot it doesn't even mean that ZD has no respect for Riley.

Last edited:
Reactions: SC_'sker
You're so full if shit. Just because players didn't do 2 things you listed doesn't mean that they don't respect Riley.

Why would anyone decide to transfer just to have to sit out a year? Which players followed Bo? Oh yeah, two guys who were already dismissed from the team and kicked out if the university.

Darlington not thanking Riley doesn't mean he speaks for the entire team. Shoot it doesn't even mean that ZD has no respect for Riley.

Had breakfast with Zach’s dad 2 weeks ago in Cali we were both speaking at same clinic. Without going into great detail let’s just say I’m 1000 percent right about what I’ve said about Riley in this thread

So on one hand you’re saying the locker room was poisoned when Riley got there? Because some of the kids were bo fans and didn’t buy in to Riley
So some of the kids were behind bo
I feel that’s overstated, an excuse, but the Riley lovers don’t- you can’t have it both ways
This is the mantra of the Riley lovers who just can’t get over the terrible decision they made to aggressively support a terrible coach

There were very few of any tears shed when Riley left
While Riley was like that easy sub teacher who doesn’t make you do anything, the competitive kids who want to win and weren’t pets were very happy That riley is gone
Everyone but the fullbacks since frost doesn’t do much 2 back stuff
There isn’t going to be any issues with kids loyal to Riley because at the end of the day kids don’t respect losing and laziness
Competitive kids don’t want to play for a team that barely wins 4 games and gets boat raced by a 5 win Minnesota team or Iowa

Last edited:
Had breakfast with Zach’s dad 2 weeks ago in Cali we were both speaking at same clinic. Without going into great detail let’s just say I’m 1000 percent right about what I’ve said about Riley in this thread
I have a former player as a client. He says otherwise. Not that every player respected Riley, but by far more respected Riley than not.

He said it was no different than with Bo. Some didn't respect him but more did than not.

So on one hand you’re saying the locker room was poisoned when Riley got there? Because some of the kids were bo fans and didn’t buy in to Riley
I feel that’s overstated, an excuse, but the Riley lovers don’t- you can’t have it both ways
This is the mantra of the Riley lovers who just can’t get over the terrible decision they made to aggressively support a terrible coach
What are you talking about?

There isn’t going to be any issues with kids loyal to Riley because at the end of the day kids don’t respect losing and laziness
There won't be any issues because Riley didn't brainwash the kids telling them they should leave Nebraska and make things difficult because of how he felt he was treated.

Quit acting like these coaching changes, the situations and ways in which they were fired/hired, are the same. The way Pelini was fired and the way he left Nebraska isn't the same as Riley.

So out of one side of your mouth you Riley guys say the loyalty to bo was so strong it poisoned the Riley team

But are saying Riley has a similar amount of loyalty from the current players

Bo won 9/10 games a year and for some ( not me) thought he deserved to contnue

OTOH Riley barely won 4 games and had 2 losing seasons in 3 - none of them thought he deserved more time unless they were a pet

The kids get Riley was a loser and lazy and needed to go- that’s why there won’t be any issues
There won’t be any issues Because the kids know Riley is a terrible coach
This isn’t Oregon state

None of these players came out strongly for Riley
There were no tears shed with the exception of maybe lee who knew we would dump that stupid pass happy wco.

Last edited:
So out of one side of your mouth you Riley guys say the loyalty to bo was so strong it poisoned the Riley team

But are saying Riley has a similar amount of loyalty from the current players

Bo won 9/10 games a year and for some ( not me) thought he deserved to contnue

OTOH Riley barely won 4 games and had 2 losing seasons in 3 - none of them thought he deserved more time unless they were a pet

The kids get Riley was a loser and lazy and needed to go
This isn’t Oregon state
Right off the bat you're wrong in your first paragraph.

Toxicity that Riley had to deal with wasn't soley because Pelini's guys were loyal to Pelini.

What was culture Pelini created? How did Pelini act when he was fired and what did he say to his team?

How did Riley act when he was fired and what did he tell his players?

That stuff matters and is important when comparing everything.

The more you aggressive Riley loyalists defend Riley the more you remind everyone you supported this guy until the bitter end

You took the data and watched the team and somehow came up with the conclusion that Riley was a great guy and could win here

That was a terrible decision to make
Based on the data no chance Riley was going to win here

Based on thar past history of poor decision making on Nebraska football- why should anyone respect your opinion today?
That’s a decision and opinion you supported every day for 3 plus years

The more you support Riley now, the more you remind us of your terrible decision to aggressively support him to the bitter end

The players could care less what a 63 year old lazy whimp with a 500 record at Nebraska say to them

Riley has no credibility
The kids could care less what he says

Keep defending him though

The more you aggressive Riley loyalists defend Riley the more you remind everyone you supported this guy until the bitter end

You took the data and watched the team and somehow came up with the conclusion that Riley was a great guy and could win here

That was a terrible decision to make
Based on the data no chance Riley was going to win here

Based on thar past history of poor decision making on Nebraska football- why should anyone respect your opinion today?
That’s a decision and opinion you supported every day for 3 plus years

The more you support Riley now, the more you remind us of your terrible decision to aggressively support him to the bitter end
I've said it on this board and yet you continue to ignore it.

I'm happy Riley is gone and ecstatic we finally have a great coach in Scott Frost. He'll do great here.

I'm not wishing Riley was here.

Where I'm supporting Riley in is against your bullshit in that the players didn't respect Riley. There is the same amount of respect with Riley within the players as there was for Pelini.

The difference is Riley didn't act like a big baby when fired and isn't asking his players to act like big babies either.

Last edited:
Riley averaged 7 wins a season for his entire career, had extremely high turnover and penalty totals. He was a coach for so long because he coached at a place that had no standards. His history tells us that he runs programs that lack competition and discipline, as turnovers and penalties can be fixed by competition. He had decent teams when the player leadership was strong, but when those players graduated there would be a vacuum of leadership that he could not fill. He would then have 3-4 losing seasons waiting for more leaders to appear.

"Some guys can come in and they can take it right away from an older guy. Some guys maybe see it as a disrespect thing, or, 'I’m doing my thing, kind of stay out of my way,'"

I've heard this from other insiders too. There are some prima donnas in the program. Who needs a four star who feels disrespected when someone pushes him to work hard or follow team rules and expectations? I'm hoping a few of those guys get weeded out (pun intended). We cannot afford to have a team sub-culture of laziness anymore.

I have a former player as a client. He says otherwise. Not that every player respected Riley, but by far more respected Riley than not.

He said it was no different than with Bo. Some didn't respect him but more did than not.
I think one can respect someone but still not like what they are doing. When you spend as much time as these guys spend with each other and the coaches odds are they are all going to respect each other. Still doesn't mean they thought he was a good coach or that he was leading them in the right direction.
If we as fans could see the lack of effort and motivation. I guarantee the players could feel it too. Most of these guys are competitive by nature. They want to win. They don't want to be embarrassed week in and week out on the field. When you have a coach who just doesn't seem to give a shit, that had to be hard. Almost to the point of them giving up (which we saw happen first hand)
Now they have a coach and staff who is 1000% passionate and pushing them to be the best they can be. They can see these coaches working their asses off to the point of exhaustion. I am guessing most realized very quickly the difference between Mike Riley and Scott Frost.

Riley was respected but not sure you can say the same about Diaco! Just a thought that seems to be expressed by more than one Husker!

Reactions: husker2612

There were very few of any tears shed when Riley left
While Riley was like that easy sub teacher who doesn’t make you do anything, the competitive kids who want to win and weren’t pets were very happy That riley is gone
Everyone but the fullbacks since frost doesn’t do much 2 back stuff
Competitive kids don’t want to play for a team that barely wins 4 games and gets boat raced by a 5 win Minnesota team or Iowa
First off, If you ever name dropped me on this forum id be pissed. just somethin to think about.

Second, theres a difference between not respecting riley and knowing he needs to go. Youre confusing the two. Im sure most players knew his time was up. Doesnt mean they didnt respect him or like him. I wont name drop like you but i happen to know for certain there were players who felt this way. Like the guy, but it aint workin out. It wasnt lack of respect.

(Now Diaco was another story with some players. He lost some respect for sure.)

First off, If you ever name dropped me on this forum id be pissed. just somethin to think about.

Second, theres a difference between not respecting riley and knowing he needs to go. Youre confusing the two. Im sure most players knew his time was up. Doesnt mean they didnt respect him or like him. I wont name drop like you but i happen to know for certain there were players who felt this way. Like the guy, but it aint workin out. It wasnt lack of respect.

(Now Diaco was another story with some players. He lost some respect for sure.)
Great post.

The players could care less what a 63 year old lazy whimp with a 500 record at Nebraska say to them

Riley has no credibility
The kids could care less what he says

Keep defending him though
You really are a total POS

There won't be any issues because Riley didn't brainwash the kids telling them they should leave Nebraska and make things difficult because of how he felt he was treated.

Quit acting like these coaching changes, the situations and ways in which they were fired/hired, are the same. The way Pelini was fired and the way he left Nebraska isn't the same as Riley.
Dave and his bloner buddies tried to trash the program as much as Pelini did. They claimed they wanted kids out of Lincoln. They are the opposite of what they preach. They would rather take their ball and go home (Meyers), than push through. No wonder he still coaches youth.
Raising a bunch of quitters unless they get their way. Such a great example to kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riley certainly wins the battle in one area and that area is his domination of taking over topics on the Husker board..
With Frost here, Riley will be a distant memory shortly after the season starts. With some old college buddies last week, the mention of his name brings up laughter now versus anger not too long ago. Won’t be long before he is an asterisk in the history of our great program.

With Frost here, Riley will be a distant memory shortly after the season starts. With some old college buddies last week, the mention of his name brings up laughter now versus anger not too long ago. Won’t be long before he is an asterisk in the history of our great program.
Nobody brings him up except the joke youth coach and other bloners

I'm honestly starting to think that he tried giving Riley some advice. Riley said thanks but no thanks. Dave has been upset ever since.
He probably didn't buy his 30 dollar joke of a video.

Maybe Coach Frost can delay spring practice so we can continue to enjoy this epic thread. Sit back and grab a bowl of popcorn or coffee beans. Winking

tenor.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT