ADVERTISEMENT

Heinrich Haarberg interview

The last place you want him to be is doing anything in the red zone when the game is still on the line. Wildcat? Why? So he can fumble?
I don’t think his fumbles were as inexcusable as his INTs. At least one of the fumbles he was being held up and had the ball ripped out. It happens. That said, if you have a 5 star QB you better be able to use him as a pass threat deep in the redzone. If not, you’ve got the wrong QB.

I don’t think his fumbles were as inexcusable as his INTs. At least one of the fumbles he was being held up and had the ball ripped out. It happens. That said, if you have a 5 star QB you better be able to use him as a pass threat deep in the redzone. If not, you’ve got the wrong QB.
I see HH as an emergency use, 3rd string, backup QB and that is it. Tight end? We already have far more talented tight ends. I also think he is overrated as a runner. He has a good burst if he has an open lane and some speed once in the open. But he is not good at all in more congested conditions. Goes down easily. His QB sneaks were a joke.

intangibles are important

I'd have liked to have seen more from Luke at QB. he, like HH, was thrown to the wolves very young and with very little coaching after the chosen one fell flat.

both intriguing talents who possess much more innate ability to lead and fight through adversity than their loser peers (AM in Luke's case, purdy/sims in HH's).

it's fascinating to me that those who claim to know so much about football, are such bigger fans than me and who have very valid points also expect kids to be finished products right away & toss kids to the side instead of wanting to see them develop.

same guys who claim to WANT kids to stick around, work hard, fight for jobs, etc., too.

very funny. very ironic. not the least bit surprising.

Very funny and ironic, and not the least bit surprising, to see you pounding your chest over your belief in LM as a QB. As he failed as a college QB and ended up a WR at Rice.

Just maybe all the coaches who passed on him as QB out of HS and the staff’s at Nebraska, Louisville, and Rice who watched him play QB and then thought his future was at WR were right? Nope couldn’t be that, has to be that you are all knowing and smarter somehow. That LM never actually having any success playing QB somehow proves you were right that he was destined to be a great QB.

1 Touch, multiple plays. My point is, he's a dude that can help next year's team taking snaps at a couple different spots. Including some at qb.

He is a good football player, a team can't have enough of those.
will also help the new kids in the room understand how to lead and win the team's and the state's respect

Very funny and ironic, and not the least bit surprising, to see you pounding your chest over your belief in LM as a QB. As he failed as a college QB and ended up a WR at Rice.

Just maybe all the coaches who passed on him as QB out of HS and the staff’s at Nebraska, Louisville, and Rice who watched him play QB and then thought his future was at WR were right? Nope couldn’t be that, has to be that you are all knowing and smarter somehow. That LM never actually having any success playing QB somehow proves you were right that he was destined to be a great QB.
all I said was I'd have liked to have seen him get a longer leash than 2 games as our QB

The last place you want him to be is doing anything in the red zone when the game is still on the line. Wildcat? Why? So he can fumble?
He really didn't start fumbling until he was run 20 times a game and took severe punishment. I imagine he was carrying a lot of injuries in that 5 game stretch.
If he ran 4-5x/game or he learned how to not get hit as hard he'd of probably done a lot better.

He really didn't start fumbling until he was run 20 times a game and took severe punishment. I imagine he was carrying a lot of injuries in that 5 game stretch.
If he ran 4-5x/game or he learned how to not get hit as hard he'd of probably done a lot better.

How in the world would have we moved the ball with HH at QB and only running having him run it 4-5 times a game?

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
How in the world would have we moved the ball with HH at QB and only running having him run it 4-5 times a game?
It was meant to mean in the future using him 4-5 times a game in special situations he would probably do better than having him run qb power/option all game long.

Reactions: headcard

N Illinois 1 fumble (1 lost)
La Tech 2 fumbles (0 lost)
Michigan 2 fumbles (0 lost)
Illinois 1 fumble (0 lost)
Northwestern 1 fumble (0 lost)
Purdue 2 fumbles (2 lost)
Mich St 2 fumbles (1 lost)

I think it’s more accurate to say he was always a fumble machine, but just got lucky at the beginning of the season (or unlucky at the end) in terms of who recovered them.

I see HH as an emergency use, 3rd string, backup QB and that is it. Tight end? We already have far more talented tight ends. I also think he is overrated as a runner. He has a good burst if he has an open lane and some speed once in the open. But he is not good at all in more congested conditions. Goes down easily. His QB sneaks were a joke.
IF you could hit him in stride on a seam route it’s 6 points. He’s very fast straight ahead. Man you’ve really gone over to the dark side Pennsy. We were woefully short of TEs this past season.

Reactions: BleedRed78
IF you could hit him in stride on a seam route it’s 6 points. He’s very fast straight ahead. Man you’ve really gone over to the dark side Pennsy. We were woefully short of TEs this past season.
Not short of TEs but short on overall production. It wasn't all their fault. Everything that could go wrong, did. Between OL breakdowns QBs who couldn't throw and WRs who were pretty clueless, it was a receipe for disaster.

Not short of TEs but short on overall production. It wasn't all their fault. Everything that could go wrong, did. Between OL breakdowns QBs who couldn't throw and WRs who were pretty clueless, it was a receipe for disaster.
We had Boerkircher and Fidone and they both were dinged up at times. The other “”TEs” were not very functional and even when healthy Boerkircher isn’t much of a threat. Another TE with some size and athleticism IMO would help. You’re right though, the offensive dysfunction was a bigger problem than the TE group.

Ha. Gone over to the dark side just because I think HH is overrated in almost every category, both as a QB and a TE? I think the dude is a turnover waiting to happen, can't throw, and can only run when he gets a big, fat crease in order to do so. If he can indeed run routes and catch the ball then yeah, maybe he would make for a serviceable TE. Maybe. But you have no more way of knowing that than I do. We are not talking about Swiss Army knife type of multiple athletic skills here with HH. Furthermore, unless we get a transfer QB in the portal this is all a moot point since he is needed as a 3rd string QB.

Ha. Gone over to the dark side just because I think HH is overrated in almost every category, both as a QB and a TE? I think the dude is a turnover waiting to happen, can't throw, and can only run when he gets a big, fat crease in order to do so. If he can indeed run routes and catch the ball then yeah, maybe he would make for a serviceable TE. Maybe. But you have no more way of knowing that than I do. We are not talking about Swiss Army knife type of multiple athletic skills here with HH. Furthermore, unless we get a transfer QB in the portal this is all a moot point since he is needed as a 3rd string QB.
He has potential as a receiver but IMO he’s not a guy our coaches over the past 15 years would have offered a scholarship to if he weren’t a Nebraska kid. That said, he’s 20 and he’s a very good athlete. He’s going to help us. I prefer to look at his upside than dwell on his rookie mistakes.

I always have husker colored glasses on, but there are numerous examples of athletic quarterbacks who have become very good tight ends/receivers. There are so many examples that each of us could think of at least a half a dozen. There is no reason why HH can’t be the next one, assuming we don’t need him at quarterback.

he was the best player we had on offense last year by a large margin

put the team on his back for 7 weeks

nobody - and I mean nobody - else did jack shit on that side of the ball

we never scored more than 17 points in a game without him, and even that pathetic output was only managed one time

He does not have a strong, accurate throwing arm. You just can't coach that any more than you can create a 90+ MPH pitcher. Some guys have some mechanics that can be cleaned up but even that can be hard as guys revert to old habits when under pressure. He was able to succeed at QB in high school but his weaknesses weren't exposed at that level playing against vastly inferior athletes.
He always was a great athlete that could develop into a very good WR. Rice seemed to be able to convince him that his future was at WR unless he wanted to sit at the bottom of a depth chart or transfer to Div II.

Sad, but true.
The QB play was the weakest area on the entire team. It's just delusional homerism to say otherwise. To say HH was the best player on the offense is nuts. The OL had some good players led by Scott, TE was above-average most of the year, Emmett Johnson was a nice surprise, the WRs came along well and made some nice grabs when the ball was in their area code.
I would also add that HH benefited from playing against some of the weakest teams on the schedule. We actually caught a break playing NW when we did because I doubt we win that game at the end of the season.

He has potential as a receiver but IMO he’s not a guy our coaches over the past 15 years would have offered a scholarship to if he weren’t a Nebraska kid. That said, he’s 20 and he’s a very good athlete. He’s going to help us. I prefer to look at his upside than dwell on his rookie mistakes.
The coach in me just has to ask the question, can he catch the football? I mean, he caught one pass, unless I am missing some, and that was a short one. He very well may have the hands of Balitnekof but do we really know? The next question is can he block? I will never question his want-to heart.

Why is it always the assumption a QB can be a WR or a RB or a RB could be a LB or DB?

Reactions: dinglefritz
The coach in me just has to ask the question, can he catch the football? I mean, he caught one pass, unless I am missing some, and that was a short one. He very well may have the hands of Balitnekof but do we really know? The next question is can he block? I will never question his want-to heart.

Why is it always the assumption a QB can be a WR or a RB or a RB could be a LB or DB?
I’ve wondered the same.

he caught 2 passes this year

1 for 1 as an H-Back

the other was a batted ball thrown by himself

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT