ADVERTISEMENT

Stolen from Reddit

you got stats for that?
no.

sheepish-grin.gif

Clemson, Alabama, and LSU won their recent national championships in large part because of their hero QB/WR combinations.

This isn’t the 90s anymore, if your guy isnt good enough to be taking snaps on Sunday, you’re never gonna eclipse Pelini/Ferentz success

RB is a dying position relegated to guys who are too short/slow to play WR, and too short/stupid to play QB
I wouldn't call RB a dying position. My NFL team is the Rams and McVay utilizes the running back in various ways. His scheme is heavily reliant on a good run game. And with Kyren Williams (and now rookie Blake Corum), they have one of the best backfields in the league. So much of what McVay does greatly depends on having a stud running back. Think back to when Gurley was in his prime. They went to the Super Bowl.

It also keeps the QB healthy.

If there isn't a good RB then the offense is completely one-dimensional unless you have a freak at QB, like Mahomes.

Any team that wants to win a conference title or make the playoff will need their quarterback to do more than just “not suck”.

I’m ok with Dylan “not sucking” as a true frosh in year 1. After that, he needs to be a playmaker. The kind of qb whose play can cover deficiencies at other positions.

I wouldn't call RB a dying position. My NFL team is the Rams and McVay utilizes the running back in various ways. His scheme is heavily reliant on a good run game. And with Kyren Williams (and now rookie Blake Corum), they have one of the best backfields in the league. So much of what McVay does greatly depends on having a stud running back. Think back to when Gurley was in his prime. They went to the Super Bowl.

If there isn't a good RB then the offense is completely one-dimensional unless you have a freak at QB, like Mahomes.

Not a dying position by any stretch; RBs are still an essential part of an effective offense. They’ve just been redefined to a small degree due to the passing game’s rapid and effective evolution. RBs used to be (often times) the best/most important player on the offense. Equivalent to or in some cases more important than the the QB. Those days are gone, but the RB is still one of the most effective weapons in a healthy offensive. You just need more of them now, and they need to be versatile. And you won’t get as many touches, teams pass the ball more and require a more diverse RB room.

But… Dominant RBs (top 1%) will still be respected as the best player (or one of) on the field. And they will demand top salaries at NFL level. (or NIL college wise) 5 tool guys, so to speak, will still be regarded as the best of the best. But they’re hard to find…

1. Spead on the edge and ability to take it to the house (elite speed) 2. Size and toughness to run between the tackles (elite physicality) 3. Ability to make people miss (elite agility) 4. Disciplined physical blocker (elite commitment to the position) 5. Catch the ball out of the back field (elite hands/route running)

Just flat out hard to find an elite alfa dog that can do all those things and stay healthy. And most can only do that at a high level for 3-5 years. But, they still exist and will demand top salaries when you can find one.

Andy Reid appreciates a good running attack. Hes got Pachecko and found a stud in Rookie Carson Steele.

they ran the ball on 66.7% of their plays in the National Championship game

only 17 (out of 133) teams in the entire country threw the ball less than michigan did last year
Let’s look at some more cherry picked stats: Michigan’s best ranking on offense (after being #2 in not turning the ball over, great passing efficiency) was actually their pass completion percentage - #3 in the nation. They were 117th in “pass play percentage” yet were 76th in passing yards becauseeeeeee…they were 15th in yards per pass! Far more efficient than any of their running stats! Wow! Funny how when you get more yards and completions per pass than almost every other team, you actually throw less passes. Math is fun, isn’t it? Unless it destroys you.

There were 41 other teams with more yards per carry than Michigan (running the ball “at will”) and not a single one of them won the national title. Crazy, Michigan ranked much higher in yards per pass than yards per rush, so one could just as easily argue that they “passed the ball at will”.

Regardless of all this wrongness, @RedMyMind never said anything about being “pass first” like you twisted, in fact the original post re-enforces that we only need to be average at passing, not even as good as Michigan was. All he’s said is compliment the running game, make it easier, like Michigan did. Like others have said, when is the last championship winning QB that didn’t immediately go on to at least be a backup QB in the NFL? It would appear that it is in fact important.

This continues to perfectly illustrate how you completely manufacture arguments out of thin air for no reason other than being a whole crusty douche bag. Let’s see if I get a response that doesn’t include “Chubba Purdy” or “KDS” or any other total non-answer deflection from the subject.

• Wow
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Look at the teams from every level of football and track the teams that can run the ball at will, and they win many championships. It is mostly not because the quarterback throws the ball to open the running game. It is teams that run when they want and when everyone expects them to. It is the offensive line that determines the success and failure of running. What has brought NDSU 9 rings in 13 years?

The O-line this year has 4 starting Sr's and a Soph. This is the first time in years the O-line has this many Sr's starting. This is what the difference will be this year. The offensive line will determine the success of the running game, not the QB.
Actually, NFL caliber qb's brought NDSU alot of those titles. Going from NFL qbs to average or above average qbs has brought NDSU to the point of consistently losing to SDSU, and now losing to UND and USD.

Let’s look at some more cherry picked stats: Michigan’s best ranking on offense (after being #2 in not turning the ball over, great passing efficiency) was actually their pass completion percentage - #3 in the nation. They were 117th in “pass play percentage” yet were 76th in passing yards becauseeeeeee…they were 15th in yards per pass! Far more efficient than any of their running stats! Wow! Funny how when you get more yards and completions per pass than almost every other team, you actually throw less passes. Math is fun, isn’t it? Unless it destroys you.

There were 41 other teams with more yards per carry than Michigan (running the ball “at will”) and not a single one of them won the national title. Crazy, Michigan ranked much higher in yards per pass than yards per rush, so one could just as easily argue that they “passed the ball at will”.

Regardless of all this wrongness, @RedMyMind never said anything about being “pass first” like you twisted, in fact the original post re-enforces that we only need to be average at passing, not even as good as Michigan was. All he’s said is compliment the running game, make it easier, like Michigan did. Like others have said, when is the last championship winning QB that didn’t immediately go on to at least be a backup QB in the NFL? It would appear that it is in fact important.

This continues to perfectly illustrate how you completely manufacture arguments out of thin air for no reason other than being a whole crusty douche bag. Let’s see if I get a response that doesn’t include “Chubba Purdy” or “KDS” or any other total non-answer deflection from the subject.
The run game at Michigan set up the pass (duh, obviously)

Here’s where you got lost (as usual):

You have to be able to run the ball when everyone knows you are going to run the ball.
Michigan (and UGA x2 and Bama), of course, did this. Which is why the boxes they faced were always loaded and why their most efficient play - the play action pass - worked so well

OP’s response:
That works against the blind schools but rarely anyone else
Of course, idiotic. Hence my involvement and highlight of the fact Michigan’s success through the air would’ve been a fraction had it not been for their extremely heavy lean the run game - calling more runs than just 17 schools in the country.

I don’t disagree with anything you posted. It’s all just neither here nor there.

Try and keep up next time you spend all day workshopping a response, sweetheart. You’ll get me one day!

Xoxo

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Michigan (and UGA x2 and Bama), of course, did this. Which is why the boxes they faced were always loaded and why their most efficient play - the play action pass - worked so well

OP’s response:

Of course, idiotic. Hence my involvement and highlight of the fact Michigan’s success through the air would’ve been a fraction had it not been for their extremely heavy lean the run game - calling more runs than just 17 schools in the country.

I don’t disagree with anything you posted. It’s all just neither here nor there.

Try and keep up next time you spend all day workshopping a response, sweetheart. You’ll get me one day!

Xoxo
You obviously are misrepresenting my point as usual.
Name one great team that has a dominant run first offense that doesn't have a QB who is a passing threat.

We don't have to look very far to find out what having a piss poor passing QB will get you. Nebraska and Iowa. At best, a false sense of quality as they get dominated by quality teams.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
You obviously are misrepresenting my point as usual.
Name one great team that has a dominant run first offense that doesn't have a QB who is a passing threat.
Was literally anyone arguing this?

If so, I didn’t see it.

Was literally anyone arguing this?

If so, I didn’t see it.
You said my response to this was wrong. How is it wrong? Who says you need to be so dominant at running the ball at will to win games? The idea that you can tell the defense what play you are going to run and still dominate the game is a thing of years past, when the discrepancy between teams was much larger. That is becoming less and less, thus the reason why teams disguise plays in different formations and try to keep teams guessing. Maybe coaches should just get better players and stop worrying about coordinating an offense.

You have to be able to run the ball when everyone knows you are going to run the ball.
That works against the blind schools but rarely anyone else

No, it’s not.

We saw it last year. And the year before. And the year before.
a good passing offense is better than a good running offense.
After watching the Michigan/Penn State game, most of their yardage on the ground came from RB draw plays, where the initial thought was pass or RPOs. Corum up the gut over and over did relativity little damage.
They called at least 3 pass plays in the second half. 2 were called back due penalties and 1 was a broken play where QB ran.

OP’s response:

Xoxo
Both Michigan’s pass and run game clearly complemented each other with a large element of surprise and RPOs. No one can run the ball every single time. There are plays when every team in the country including Michigan cannot run the ball. Otherwise why ever pass?

At best this dumbass argument is over semantics but as usual you created an opportunity to insert yourself, be a dick bag and call someone an idiot. Then your usual incomplete cherry picking to attempt to drive a pointless narrative. Thankful I don’t have THAT kind of time on my hands. Yeesh. What a life.

Thankful I don’t have THAT kind of time on my hands. Yeesh. What a life.
Your entire account is devoted to king_kong_ and conspiracies du jour.

*chefs kiss*

Be sure to tell us when you receive your copy of this year’s script, Mr. Time Well Spent!

Your entire account is devoted to king_kong_ and conspiracies du jour.

*chefs kiss*

Be sure to tell us when you receive your copy of this year’s script, Mr. Time Well Spent!
Ahhh there it is ✅ Unfortunately for you there’s a search feature for everyone’s posts and they can once again see what a pathological liar you are. I have a sister in-law that’s a lot like you actually, alcoholic too. Sad stuff. Oh well.

a good passing offense is better than a good running offense.
The 96 Fiesta Bowl completely dismisses this theory.

I have spent the last 20 years campaigning for Nebraska to get back to what they should be doing and that's committing to running the ball. I still will. After our 5 star number 1 ranked prospect leaves for the NFL. Never thought we would land a prospect like him and the only reason we did is because his Daddy's name is on the stadium and his younger brother pressured him into going to the school they always rooted for.

• Haha
Reactions: SomedayHusker

I have spent the last 20 years campaigning for Nebraska to get back to what they should be doing and that's committing to running the ball. I still will. After our 5 star number 1 ranked prospect leaves for the NFL. Never thought we would land a prospect like him and the only reason we did is because his Daddy's name is on the stadium and his younger brother pressured him into going to the school they always rooted for.
If we have to use 30+ year old references, it's not a good omen. The game has changed since then.

So you have knowledge that hos younger brother peer pressured older brother into the biggest decision of his life? I think he just believed he could be a difference maker here. He bet on himself, doesn't need the Georgia or OSU name to get to the league.
Craziest part is he is likely the Day 1 starter at OSU and their QB is likely here if he stays with his 1st choice.

Bruce, you need to retire

Ahhh there it is ✅ Unfortunately for you there’s a search feature for everyone’s posts and they can once again see what a pathological liar you are. I have a sister in-law that’s a lot like you actually, alcoholic too. Sad stuff. Oh well.
king_kong_ before you fall asleep

king_kong_ the second you wake up

Yikes! that’s genetic. Can switch on at anytime, especially with Type A ladies.

Careful out there, bud!

Reactions: Bruce1981
If we have to use 30+ year old references, it's not a good omen. The game has changed since then.
The ultimate running team met the ultimate passing team and proved Osborne right and you wrong. Florida looked like a high school team that night. What was true then is true now. If I had to build a team from the ground up my foundation is going to be a committed rushing attack. I'm going to have a better physical defense due to that decision. If I get a 5 star QB while implementing said culture, I'll be fine passing a bit more.
So you have knowledge that hos younger brother peer pressured older brother into the biggest decision of his life? I think he just believed he could be a difference maker here. He bet on himself, doesn't need the Georgia or OSU name to get to the league.
Craziest part is he is likely the Day 1 starter at OSU and their QB is likely here if he stays with his 1st choice.
It was in an article when Dylan committed dingleberry.

bet you think we could be a top 10 team if we only recruited in state too
What does that have to do with a discussion about who is better between a good running team vs good passing team or great running team vs great passing team? The answer is always the running team.

Clown

The ultimate running team met the ultimate passing team and proved Osborne right and you wrong. Florida looked like a high school team that night. What was true then is true now. If I had to build a team from the ground up my foundation is going to be a committed rushing attack. I'm going to have a better physical defense due to that decision. If I get a 5 star QB while implementing said culture, I'll be fine passing a bit more.
All speculation. Florida could easily have had an off night. Nebraska's defense was better than Florida's. The offenses don't go up against each other. That Florida offense is crap compared to today's offenses.

I wouldn't hold your breath with that offense coming back to Nebraska. At best, they would be more like 2011 Wisconsin.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce1981
What does that have to do with a discussion about who is better between a good running team vs good passing team or great running team vs great passing team? The answer is always the running team.

Clown
a lot, it shows how antiquated your line of thinking is. West Virginia, Kansas and UCF had more rushing yards than any team in the playoffs last year. hope this helps.

Retard

a lot, it shows how antiquated your line of thinking is. West Virginia, Kansas and UCF had more rushing yards than any team in the playoffs last year. hope this helps.

Retard
I wouldn't call what any team is doing currently being really committed to the run, Mr Downs.

I wouldn't call what any team is doing currently being really committed to the run, Mr Downs.
we ran the ball on 74% of our plays in 1995.

the game has changed. the most run-heavy, power football teams these days - like Michigan last year - still run the ball >60% of the time. and they run the ball on both 1st and 3rd down more than everyone else in the country (at will).

the analytics OP refers to about passing > running aren't wrong. they just exist in a vacuum, unlike actual football games where variables are omnipresent.

It was in an article when Dylan committed dingleberry.
Do you have a link or more information on this article? Dominic is on record as saying that Dylan wanted to switch to NU but was nervous/apprehensive about how people would react. His brother Dayton was the only one who knew. Dayton told Dominic, who then told Dylan he better call Rhule.

In all the articles I have read, interviews I have listened to, forums I have read, and podcasts I have listened to, I have heard nothing of Dayton "pressuring" him.

Reactions: thall_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT