ADVERTISEMENT

SSO practice observations

From a certain point of view, it can appear to the casual fan that there hasn't been a concrete plan from the beginning. It's replace a guy here, or fire a long time coach there, or now lets decide to change the defense, and it can give the impression that they are just fumbling around trying different things.

Previously used excuses have been:
  • "square peg, round hole"
  • injuries
  • half the team is redshirting
  • AD said we didn't have the athletes, yet the recruiting has supposedly improved (has it?).
  • S&C guru said we weren't testing well and needed x amount of time to get those numbers up

So it can appear that they are running out of ideas/excuses, except now this year, it is a first year in the new defense, and I don't know what excuse they will have with the offensive line.. it's year 3 and you have 1 three star on this years' recruiting commitment list for the future. (That will be a real nice roster hole for somebody to fill down the road)

Having said all that.. I was just starting to drink the koolaid from all the positive reports.

Then you hear about the freshman running back, and I wonder why someone would suggest a redshirt for him. If he is better than those other backs (hint: he is) then why not start him? Are the coaches just dumb? In some ways, yes, I think some of them are.

It was funny in one of MR early interviews this fall he came right out and mentioned something about needing more time. It's year 3, and we saw what James Franklin did last year at PSU, which was under sanctions when he took the job. Mike Riley has no excuses to not perform in year 3.

I'm going to need a link to the Riley quote about needing more time. The only quotes I heard from him were about not making excuses for needing more time. Please prove me wrong.

Who is making excuses for the OLine? The only talk of excuses comes from people like you when they say things like "what will the excuses be"

Now you are an expert on RBs too? Or do you have a guy, who has a guy who said Bradley is the best. Puhlease.

Your post reads like a troll attempt. But with some of the other nonsense I have seen written by you, I cannot be sure, so I had to respond.

I'm going to need a link to the Riley quote about needing more time. The only quotes I heard from him were about not making excuses for needing more time. Please prove me wrong.

Who is making excuses for the OLine? The only talk of excuses comes from people like you when they say things like "what will the excuses be"

Now you are an expert on RBs too? Or do you have a guy, who has a guy who said Bradley is the best. Puhlease.

Your post reads like a troll attempt. But with some of the other nonsense I have seen written by you, I cannot be sure, so I had to respond.
I don't have a link to the vid, sorry.. next time I will be sure to save the link to every vid I see, just to offer you proof.

Second, what I am saying is, there is a pattern here. Excuses are offered up ad nauseam the past two years, including the OL. First it was Cueball didn't rotate players at all (player development), then it was injuries & redshirts, and then inexperience was the excuse. The OL has used them all up as far as I am concerned.

You don't need to be an expert on RB's to know what we have in the 3 returning players. There are multiple reports out there about JB and how he has looked. I never once said anything about knowing a guy of a guy, in fact I never say anything like that, it is YOU who is just making shit up right there.

Tell you what pal, you don't have to like my posts, or even read them. You can put me on ignore for all I care.

The thread is devolving nicely. Bo had topped out, took his foot off the pedal in terms of recruiting and torched his bridge wrt the AD and a bunch of others. We have a new guy and, barring a true dumpster fire of a season, gets a few seasons to try to bring the program back to a higher level.

Reactions: headcard
I don't have a link to the vid, sorry.. next time I will be sure to save the link to every vid I see, just to offer you proof.

Second, what I am saying is, there is a pattern here. Excuses are offered up ad nauseam the past two years, including the OL. First it was Cueball didn't rotate players at all (player development), then it was injuries & redshirts, and then inexperience was the excuse. The OL has used them all up as far as I am concerned.

You don't need to be an expert on RB's to know what we have in the 3 returning players. There are multiple reports out there about JB and how he has looked. I never once said anything about knowing a guy of a guy, in fact I never say anything like that, it is YOU who is just making shit up right there.

Tell you what pal, you don't have to like my posts, or even read them. You can put me on ignore for all I care.

If you are going to say a coach said something, be prepared to back it up if challenged. Riley has discussed multiple times that hiring new coaches is not going to be used as a crutch this season.

Cavanaugh hasn't rotated players in either year. The only reason for multiple players playing was injury or ineffectiveness.

You are posting opinions on the RBs and trying to sell them off as fact. If you read what was said about the QBs then Gebbia should be starting. People talking about Bradley is more about what he's done in camp as compared to what they expected not compared to overall ability at this time. He has opened eyes and could get playing time, but redshirting may still be best. My opinion.

As far as not liking what you have to say, if you don't want to be challenged don't be so bold in your posts. If you want to be ignored then don't post.

If you are going to say a coach said something, be prepared to back it up if challenged. Riley has discussed multiple times that hiring new coaches is not going to be used as a crutch this season.

Cavanaugh hasn't rotated players in either year. The only reason for multiple players playing was injury or ineffectiveness.

You are posting opinions on the RBs and trying to sell them off as fact. If you read what was said about the QBs then Gebbia should be starting. People talking about Bradley is more about what he's done in camp as compared to what they expected not compared to overall ability at this time. He has opened eyes and could get playing time, but redshirting may still be best. My opinion.

As far as not liking what you have to say, if you don't want to be challenged don't be so bold in your posts. If you want to be ignored then don't post.
I don't have to prove anything to you.
I am not the one out there making excuses for poor performance.
I have not said that Gebbia should be starting this year, because we also have good info on Lee. We do not have that same kind of info on the 3 returning running backs. I have stated that I believe Lee will be gone after this year and think Gebbia will start next year, but once again, you are trying to put words in my mouth, which are again false.
Do you do this to other posters as well? You create things out of thin air, attribute it to them, and try to use it as an argument? I don't mind the challenge if you have something factual to bring to the table. If you're just going to keep making things up, then I don't have time to deal with your nonsense.

Laughing Lots of tough talk happening, funny stuff.

mxcv0h3r5mkqhda1owyq.jpg

Gove me a break no one is making excuses. The staff inhereted a mess, lost a bunch of heartbreakers in year 1, made significant progress in year 2 and got us back to where we were before they got here. We are on the right track, and getting better

Got us back to where we were before? To when the Coach was fired? That's not a very satisfying place.
I don't have any expectation for this team. I only hope the game management improves and preparedness improves. The coaching moves shoul help. We still have some coaches who's areas have underperformed.
We fired the kicking and DC coaches. That can't hurt. We still have the OL and running back coaches with very poor performing units. We also have OC and HC that have a knack of making poor game plans and game management decisions. If Lee is McSorely and Diaco finds a pass rush though it could be a decent season. Too many variables. Not like a TO situation where you knew the game planning and game management and preparation would be consistently superior. The line would block and the turnovers would be under control and our pass rush and kicking game would be effective. No getting blown out.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Teams the huskers should beat 3-5 times out of ten:
tOSU, Michigan, PSU
5-6 times out of ten:
MSU and Wisconsin
7+ out of ten:
The rest.
Unless the huskers are repping the West 5-6 times out of ten then the tide has truly turned.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Got us back to where we were before? To when the Coach was fired? That's not a very satisfying place.
I don't have any expectation for this team. I only hope the game management improves and preparedness improves. The coaching moves shoul help. We still have some coaches who's areas have underperformed.
We fired the kicking and DC coaches. That can't hurt. We still have the OL and running back coaches with very poor performing units. We also have OC and HC that have a knack of making poor game plans and game management decisions. If Lee is McSorely and Diaco finds a pass rush though it could be a decent season. Too many variables. Not like a TO situation where you knew the game planning and game management and preparation would be consistently superior. The line would block and the turnovers would be under control and our pass rush and kicking game would be effective. No getting blown out.
Agree with the Osborne prep stuff and all, but come on... tell me which players on this team would have been starters under Osborne? Who on the lines or which RB?

The talent isn't there yet. Is it improving? I think so... but we aren't there yet. I contend these coaches will start to look a whole lot better when the talent level rises, or at least when the talent level matches schemes the coaches are using. TA, love his heart, but not for this system. I am anticipating the offensive coaching will look so much better this year under Lee. Guess we will see.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Agree with the Osborne prep stuff and all, but come on... tell me which players on this team would have been starters under Osborne? Who on the lines or which RB?

The talent isn't there yet. Is it improving? I think so... but we aren't there yet. I contend these coaches will start to look a whole lot better when the talent level rises, or at least when the talent level matches schemes the coaches are using. TA, love his heart, but not for this system. I am anticipating the offensive coaching will look so much better this year under Lee. Guess we will see.

Dan Young and Milt were exceptional at developing talent along the O-line back in the 80's and 90's, so I think it's very possible for some of the projected O-line starters today could have a shot. After all, Joel Wilks, Aaron Taylor, Tom Punt, Joel Gesky, Lance Lundberg and others who were not really a blip, if at all, on the national radar, were coached up and did just fine.

Of course, it's not fair to try to compare this staff to most of Osborne's, they were just better at what they did, but there could be some better than expected play on the line this year, everything else should fall into place for success.

Reactions: timnsun

Yes back to where we were, things don't happen instantly and we are making significant progress. I would love to hear what game management issues you believe we have, as I thought we were excellent in that area last year, grinding out games when we had to and winning at the end. Are you still upset about a Hail Mary and TA deciding to throw the ball on his own at Illinois two years ago?

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's the issue. Too many people in the fan base believe that Nebraska is still a blue blood program.

You used the word supposed to describe Nebraska as a blue blood, so either you don't believe it is or you believe there is doubt that it is.

It's been since 2012 since the team won a division title. I believe that BigTen title game was the turning point. From that game on, the program hasn't been the same. That is the game where people really started to openly talk about Pelini not being the right guy and the line in the sand was drawn. Then 9 months later the audiotape was released and that further widened the gap between Pelini and the fan base.

Point being comparing the first 3 years of other coaches is irrelevant. Not every situation is the same. The landscape of college football is not the same.

As I said before, I was ready for Pelini to go. I don't think he wanted to be here and I think after the beat down by Wisconsin and the leaked tape, he was a lame duck. It showed in his recruiting and his relationship with fans and media.

With that said, I don't believe the Nebraska roster in December 2014 was where it should have been or where it was, relative to other programs, when Osborne, Solich, Callahan and Pelini too over. Perhaps Riley should have seen that during the months of December and January and recruited differently. I have been pretty objective in my criticisms of Riley's hires. I do believe he overestimated what some of his coaches could do at Nebraska and potentially overestimated some of the talent "fits" in his 1st year.

The thing I don't understand is why people are looking for permission to have their own expectations. If you think Nebraska should win 9 games and are still a blue blood, awesome. But you shouldn't need anyone's "approval".

Similarly, I don't think this year's team is a 10-11 win team. I am willing to give Diaco this season to work out kinks in his defense. I am willing to allow the necessary growing pains that will present themselves in blown assignments and or players outmanned because they aren't a perfect fit for this scheme. I do believe the offense should be better than it was last year, I believe the OLine should be and will be vastly improved. I believe the QB play will be more efficient. I think the QB will make better decisions when it comes to getting rid of the ball by throwing it away rather than just throwing it up for grabs, I believe that what Armstrong saved in sack yards, with his scrambling ability, will be made up with Lee hitting a check down or getting through his progressions a little quicker. I believe the running game will be better because the defense will have to respect the underneath passing game. On defense I believe the attitude and passion Diaco provides will make up for some of the deficiencies. I do not believe you will see players not giving ultimate effort on the defensive side of the ball. I do believe that was an issue toward the end of Pelini tenure and the first 2 years under Banker.

I think 9-4 is probably where this team ends up. I think we beat Ark St, N. Illinois, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, northwestern, Minnesota and Iowa. Then beat 1 of the other 4 (Wisconsin, Ohio St, Penn St or Oregon).

Sorry for the rant. But not everything is black and white.
I really like this post. Makes the points without throwing insults, especially the past efforts. This is a very realistic scenario, maybe one victory trades out for another. I do believe we have the coaching to hit 10, and any thing is possible - more, and 8 also. GBR

Trust him, he knows what he is yapping about.... or something.

Nikki, Bradley is not our best RB.
If it sere up to me based on what I know, he should be RS unless needed.

Reactions: kaz36 and 47Husker
Gove me a break no one is making excuses. The staff inhereted a mess, lost a bunch of heartbreakers in year 1, made significant progress in year 2 and got us back to where we were before they got here. We are on the right track, and getting better

One could say you are giving the benefit of the doubt here. Yes, lost some "heartbreakers" or you could also say poor coaching led to this. The record in year two saw the typical 9 wins as your standard for "significant progress" although wins were not against tough competition and they finished the year very flat. You finally say we are on the right track and getting better. I agree we MAY be on the right track and we MAY be getting better but how do you know? How do you quantify that? You read the articles in the paper or on the net and you buy into the pie in the sky reporting. When Joe Blow is reported making progress at OLB too many go off the deep end thinking we now have an All American performer and start planning where to put those behind him so they can play another position.

For the sake of lots of sanity on this board and in the State I hope MR gets things straightened out. Can he find the weaknesses in other teams and exploit them? Can we sustain drives without penalties? Can we actually stop teams with an aggressive D? Can we hang with the big boys on a weekly basis? Can we beat the also-rans of the league?

I have watched football intently for over 45 years and worked with some really good HS coaches - what is going to happen with this team this year is anyone's guess. Just like we are not sure how many of the new players will respond, we really do not know how the new coaches will coach. So there are lots of reasons to wait and see. That doesn't make me pessimistic but I am also not one to say we have this guy now over this guy last year and he has to be better. No he doesn't. He only looks good/better because we want him too and he is reported on or he actually may be heads and shoulders better - guess we will find out.

I am hoping for the best this year which for me is fielding a very hard nosed competitive team. The record will take care of itself if coaches and players are on the same page, we cut down on mistakes and are the more physical team in most games. Notice I didn't say we will have more talent than other teams because we won't. We are still a long ways out from having a cupboard full of top level talent - it takes longer than 2 full recruiting cycles. Getting lots of WR's in the this class and some decent DB's but where are the stud linemen on both sides of the ball? Where are the stud LB's, DE's and more?

I will enjoy watching this team grow and learn and feel their way through things. Get better, day by day.

Reactions: countrybob
Teams the huskers should beat 3-5 times out of ten:
tOSU, Michigan, PSU
5-6 times out of ten:
MSU and Wisconsin
7+ out of ten:
The rest.
Unless the huskers are repping the West 5-6 times out of ten then the tide has truly turned.

I have to ask this question. Based on what? The past? Just because we are Nebraska? Because of some recruiting numbers? Why "should" this happen? It may, I don't know, I hope so but that doesn't make it happen.

One could say you are giving the benefit of the doubt here. Yes, lost some "heartbreakers" or you could also say poor coaching led to this. The record in year two saw the typical 9 wins as your standard for "significant progress" although wins were not against tough competition and they finished the year very flat. You finally say we are on the right track and getting better. I agree we MAY be on the right track and we MAY be getting better but how do you know? How do you quantify that? You read the articles in the paper or on the net and you buy into the pie in the sky reporting. When Joe Blow is reported making progress at OLB too many go off the deep end thinking we now have an All American performer and start planning where to put those behind him so they can play another position.

For the sake of lots of sanity on this board and in the State I hope MR gets things straightened out. Can he find the weaknesses in other teams and exploit them? Can we sustain drives without penalties? Can we actually stop teams with an aggressive D? Can we hang with the big boys on a weekly basis? Can we beat the also-rans of the league?

I have watched football intently for over 45 years and worked with some really good HS coaches - what is going to happen with this team this year is anyone's guess. Just like we are not sure how many of the new players will respond, we really do not know how the new coaches will coach. So there are lots of reasons to wait and see. That doesn't make me pessimistic but I am also not one to say we have this guy now over this guy last year and he has to be better. No he doesn't. He only looks good/better because we want him too and he is reported on or he actually may be heads and shoulders better - guess we will find out.

I am hoping for the best this year which for me is fielding a very hard nosed competitive team. The record will take care of itself if coaches and players are on the same page, we cut down on mistakes and are the more physical team in most games. Notice I didn't say we will have more talent than other teams because we won't. We are still a long ways out from having a cupboard full of top level talent - it takes longer than 2 full recruiting cycles. Getting lots of WR's in the this class and some decent DB's but where are the stud linemen on both sides of the ball? Where are the stud LB's, DE's and more?

I will enjoy watching this team grow and learn and feel their way through things. Get better, day by day.

The realism in this post would've made me moist, if I were a woman.

Good post. I remember back in 1980's (I forget which year) there was an article on Nebraska in one of the preseason magazines (once again, I forget which one, lol). And I DO remember one thing that really hit me when I read it. They were quoting Terry Donahue, the UCLA coach, about playing us and he said that the thing most coaches hate about playing Nebraska is that when you do "you get all banged up and it sometimes takes two weeks to physically recover".

That kind of physical play is what I miss most about the Osborne years. Win or lose, when you played us, you got bloodied. Wisconsin has borrowed that model. I hope Riley's teams get more physical as well.

I have to ask this question. Based on what? The past? Just because we are Nebraska? Because of some recruiting numbers? Why "should" this happen? It may, I don't know, I hope so but that doesn't make it happen.
Maybe a poor choice of words, but if MR is the answer then those numbers should be the expectation, IMO.

Yes back to where we were, things don't happen instantly and we are making significant progress. I would love to hear what game management issues you believe we have, as I thought we were excellent in that area last year, grinding out games when we had to and winning at the end. Are you still upset about a Hail Mary and TA deciding to throw the ball on his own at Illinois two years ago?

TA wasn't the coach who call the plays on that drive, which was junior high school level performance. He didn't give up a 75 yards drive to lose either.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Good post. I remember back in 1980's (I forget which year) there was an article on Nebraska in one of the preseason magazines (once again, I forget which one, lol). And I DO remember one thing that really hit me when I read it. They were quoting Terry Donahue, the UCLA coach, about playing us and he said that the thing most coaches hate about playing Nebraska is that when you do "you get all banged up and it sometimes takes two weeks to physically recover".

That kind of physical play is what I miss most about the Osborne years. Win or lose, when you played us, you got bloodied. Wisconsin has borrowed that model. I hope Riley's teams get more physical as well.
Colorado's coach in the 90's said the same thing. In a comment about N woes a while back , he brought the N of old again and gave an example. They were about to play a top team and he told reporters he hoped they were physically recovered from previous play. They said, yes it was a tough game the week before - He replied " No, we are still recovering from the N game two weeks ago ".

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
TA wasn't the coach who call the plays on that drive, which was junior high school level performance. He didn't give up a 75 yards drive to lose either.
YES TA did throw the ball away on his own on a called third down run, which would have let us run out the clock. Not sure how that could be any more clear at this point. But go on and choose to be fixated on the issues that existed in year one and not the fact that they were better in year two. We were able to run out the clock and win games at the end last year (Indiana, etc) and get big D stands at the end (Oregon) last year, but you chose to whine about issues from two years ago.

YES TA did throw the ball away on his own on a called third down run, which would have let us run out the clock. Not sure how that could be any more clear at this point. But go on and choose to be fixated on the issues that existed in year one and not the fact that they were better in year two. We were able to run out the clock and win games at the end last year (Indiana, etc) and get big D stands at the end (Oregon) last year, but you chose to whine about issues from two years ago.

Jeans is just an Armstrong apologist. It's cool we all need defending at some point.

He is a big picture guy when it comes to players. He will bring up their whole careers in defense of a few bad plays. But when talking about coaches he is the exact opposite. He brings up specific instances and doesn't look at the big picture.

Yup. Those were Pelini players not being coachable and doing their own thing. Who could have saw THAT coming???

Reactions: HBK4life

I'm not anti Riley.

I hope he has his best year ever.

That game was a simple run the ball straight ahead and the game is over. That game was called stupidly as well.

There were numerous reasons we lost that game other than that TA play.

I'm not anti Riley.

I hope he has his best year ever.

That game was a simple run the ball straight ahead and the game is over. That game was called stupidly as well.

There were numerous reasons we lost that game other than that TA play.
But had he just stumbled forward and fell down, we probably win that game.

Reactions: jeans15
Perfect example and it was part o his make-up ( bmoc ). Coaches can coach it, call it; but the players are on the field. Someone here did a quarter by quarter breakdown of passing here last season. TA completed 70% in streaks; I looked at it and felt that was when he was playing with new technique and within the system. Disaster % quarters seemed to be when he reverted to the old.

There were plenty examples of bad calls on Offense in addition to that pass/run call which was dumb call. Yes the next year was better but in 2016 Langdorfs offense only scored 30 or more against BCS competition twice ( which is a bad year) the offense scored 3 against OSU and had 217 total yards against Iowa.

I hope the issue was Armstrong but so far in the Langsdorf/Riley offense I do not get a bunch of warm fuzzies

There were plenty examples of bad calls on Offense in addition to that pass/run call which was dumb call. Yes the next year was better but in 2016 Langdorfs offense only scored 30 or more against BCS competition twice ( which is a bad year) the offense scored 3 against OSU and had 217 total yards against Iowa.

I hope the issue was Armstrong but so far in the Langsdorf/Riley offense I do not get a bunch of warm fuzzies
tOSU - TA out injured in second quarter
Iowa - 1 legged TA.

Reactions: timnsun
But had he just stumbled forward and fell down, we probably win that game.

True.....That's why we should have punted or ran the ball on 4th down to get the clock moving.

Us running plays with 10 seconds on the play clock didn't help either.

there are certainly a lot of variable circumstances that make comparisons difficult but it seems to be a fairly unanimous feeling that Iowa sucks and Ferentz is a laughable head coach

from many of the above threads it appears that many aren't willing to benchmark the program against the elite schools maybe programs like Iowa would be a fairer comparison

if you look at Ferentz - he has been at Iowa for 18 years and has 5 seasons with 10 or more wins and has played in 3 major bowl games (Rose and Orange x2). That is, on average, a 10+ win season every 3.6 years and a major bowl every 6 years. In his first 6 years (not sure Riley is going to be here much longer than that given his age) Ferentz won 10 or more games 3 times and went to 3 New Years day bowls.

no one can tell me that Riley took over a worse situation than Ferentz did at Iowa - Ferentz won 7 his 3rd year and his seat was very warm after winning just 1 and 3 games his first 2 years. In years 4,5 and 6 he won 11- 10 - and 10 games and went to 3 straight New Year's days bowls.
Surely if Riley is a better coach at a better school than Ferentz it wouldn't be too much to expect at least equivalent results.

And if Riley is an upgrade from Bo - in more areas than just behind the microphone - then when is it fair to expect better or at least similar results than what Bo achieved - year 4? 5? 6? 10? 12? - at some point it comes down to simple achievements or lack of achievements on the field without having to list a bunch of qualifiers. Maybe year 3 is a bit too soon - although personally I think similar results to what Bo achieved is fair - but certainly before year 5 or 6. 9 wins last year was a really nice achievement - I don't understand why there is some hesitancy to expect similar or better results this year.

I really like Riley and hope he succeeds but at some point the transition is over and he owns the results on the field and it is fair to compare these results with his predecessors at Nebraska and the head coaches at other major programs with which we are expecting to compete.

True.....That's why we should have punted or ran the ball on 4th down to get the clock moving.

Us running plays with 10 seconds on the play clock didn't help either.

Punt maybe. Running the ball is probably a push as far as time goes. The clock stops on change of possession as soon as they play ends. Dropping back and throwing incomplete probably burns as much time as running the ball. As far as probability of getting the necessary 7yards for the 1st down, throwing gave you a better chance IMO. The fact remains that if TA just executes the play on 3rd, none of that matters.

I really like Riley and hope he succeeds but at some point the transition is over and he owns the results on the field and it is fair to compare these results with his predecessors at Nebraska and the head coaches at other major programs with which we are expecting to compete.
Pretty much in agreement here. And for me this is less about specific numbers of wins or losses. It's how we play. Games like Indiana can't be nail biters. We should not be considered a tossup against NW and the Gophers this year. Compete to win against Wiscy, tOSU and Ped St, and come to play against Iowa. Embrace the fact that we have to win against the Badgers to win the West, but that our game against Iowa is a must-win dog fight. I'll be disappointed every time we lose, but I'd rather be disappointed than disgusted by bad or uninspired play.

there are certainly a lot of variable circumstances that make comparisons difficult but it seems to be a fairly unanimous feeling that Iowa sucks and Ferentz is a laughable head coach

from many of the above threads it appears that many aren't willing to benchmark the program against the elite schools maybe programs like Iowa would be a fairer comparison

if you look at Ferentz - he has been at Iowa for 18 years and has 5 seasons with 10 or more wins and has played in 3 major bowl games (Rose and Orange x2). That is, on average, a 10+ win season every 3.6 years and a major bowl every 6 years. In his first 6 years (not sure Riley is going to be here much longer than that given his age) Ferentz won 10 or more games 3 times and went to 3 New Years day bowls.

no one can tell me that Riley took over a worse situation than Ferentz did at Iowa - Ferentz won 7 his 3rd year and his seat was very warm after winning just 1 and 3 games his first 2 years. In years 4,5 and 6 he won 11- 10 - and 10 games and went to 3 straight New Year's days bowls.
Surely if Riley is a better coach at a better school than Ferentz it wouldn't be too much to expect at least equivalent results.

And if Riley is an upgrade from Bo - in more areas than just behind the microphone - then when is it fair to expect better or at least similar results than what Bo achieved - year 4? 5? 6? 10? 12? - at some point it comes down to simple achievements or lack of achievements on the field without having to list a bunch of qualifiers. Maybe year 3 is a bit too soon - although personally I think similar results to what Bo achieved is fair - but certainly before year 5 or 6. 9 wins last year was a really nice achievement - I don't understand why there is some hesitancy to expect similar or better results this year.

Creating averages over 18 years appears strange when compared to a guy who has been there for 3 years.

Here is the problem with doing that. From 2010 through 2014, the years between Iowa's las two major bowl games, Iowa was 34-30 overall and 19-21 in Big Ten play. They were 1-3 in bowls and finished 4th or 5th in the division every year but 1.

That's where the comparison ends. Kirk Ferentz wouldn't have made it past 2012 (4-8) at Nebraska.

I get your overall point but Nebraska fan isn't going to stand for the roller coaster ride and the peaks and valleys that Ferentz delivers.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Creating averages over 18 years appears strange when compared to a guy who has been there for 3 years.

Here is the problem with doing that. From 2010 through 2014, the years between Iowa's las two major bowl games, Iowa was 34-30 overall and 19-21 in Big Ten play. They were 1-3 in bowls and finished 4th or 5th in the division every year but 1.

That's where the comparison ends. Kirk Ferentz wouldn't have made it past 2012 (4-8) at Nebraska.

I get your overall point but Nebraska fan isn't going to stand for the roller coaster ride and the peaks and valleys that Ferentz delivers.

I agree Ferentz wouldn't have lasted as long at Nebraska - but can we match his first 6 years then? accounting for 2 years of transition - he won 7-11-10-10 a major bowl and 2 other new years day bowls. At some point I would trade lower valleys for the higher peaks that Ferentz has achieved at Iowa. For sure the average "altitude" has been higher at Nebraska but certainly not the peaks.

In 2 year cycles I would rather go 11 wins followed by 6 wins (repeat) as opposed to 9 wins every year

Last edited:
I agree Ferentz wouldn't have lasted as long at Nebraska - but can we match his first 6 years then? accounting for 2 years of transition - he won 7-11-10-10 a major bowl and 2 other new years day bowls. At some point I would trade lower valleys for the higher peaks that Ferentz has achieved at Iowa. For sure the average "altitude" has been higher at Nebraska but certainly not the peaks.
My optometrist is an Iowa alum. He obviously takes the good seasons, but is of the opinion that Ferentz has been living off that early success. He's not a huge fan. But different programs, different expectations.
We had two HOF level coaches here back to back. That is elite head coaching from the early 60s to the mid 90s. That type of thing will spoil a fan base. So while you might be willing to trade a high spot on the ridge line for peaks/valleys, the NU fan base is perhaps genetically programmed to expect something else. We have canned 3 coaches, 2 of which had win-loss records that would be the envy of 90% of BCS schools. A four win coach will be shown the door.
The college FB landscape has its true high fliers and right now, NU isn't one of them. Most of us hope we don't have a 5-6 season, expect a 3-4 loss season, and would be pretty stoked with a 1-2 loss season.

You would be in the minority. IMHO. I don't believe most would want to deal with the lower valleys.

For the first 14 years, Ferentz at Iowa is basically Riley at Oregon St, with 2 Orange Bowls.

The reason people like Ferentz better is because he plays power football. Mike Leach was 84-43 at Texas Tech and has turned around Washington St but had he been hired at Nebraska I would bet the hire would have been widely criticized because of the offense he runs me not the results.

Again I see what you are saying, I just don't believe you can compare 1999 -2005 Iowa to 2015-2019 Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT