ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notes: Practice #9

jeans15

Head Coach
Feb 23, 2011
DaiShon Neal walked into the weight room and looked down at his chart. The number 645 was written on it. As in, pounds. Pounds for him to potentially squat that day.

The Omaha Central grad will be honest with you. He had never squatted that much before and on that very day was asking himself, "Can I do that?" His teammate, Alex Davis, told him to go do it.

What Neal did next is something he might not have thought himself capable of back in early January. But now in April, he can tell you that, yes, he has squatted 645 pounds for three reps. Yes, he has benched a max of 455 for three reps.

That weight room climb doesn't just win you snaps on Saturdays, of course, but Neal has good reason to be proud of his gains, having built himself up to 6-7, 290 pounds, a 20-pound hike while losing body fat in the process. So that's one thing.

Here's another thing: The fourth-year junior defensive end likes what the M.O. is from his new defensive line coach Mike Dawson.

Attack. Every play is a chance to make a play.

VIDEO OF BUNCH
http://www.1011now.com/content/spor...-darkhorse-in-Nebraska-QB-race-479475463.html

Last edited:

Brian Rosenthal@GBRosenthal

OC Troy Walters had no further comment on O’Brien absence only to say they would work with the quarterbacks who are there. Frost isn’t on media docket today. #Huskers

10:26 AM - Apr 12, 2018

Matt Reynoldson@Matt_Reynoldson

Troy Walters said Nebraska will likely go running back by committee in the fall. Emphasized that they have enough guys with different skill sets to make it work. #Huskers

10:31 AM - Apr 12, 2018

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtraPG

Verduzco said that the “speed and athleticism” component played a role in separating Martinez, Gebbia and Bunch and giving them more reps than Patrick O’Brien on Tuesday.

10:41 AM - Apr 12, 2018

DaiShon Neal walked into the weight room and looked down at his chart. The number 645 was written on it. As in, pounds. Pounds for him to potentially squat that day.

The Omaha Central grad will be honest with you. He had never squatted that much before and on that very day was asking himself, "Can I do that?" His teammate, Alex Davis, told him to go do it.

What Neal did next is something he might not have thought himself capable of back in early January. But now in April, he can tell you that, yes, he has squatted 645 pounds for three reps. Yes, he has benched a max of 455 for three reps.

That weight room climb doesn't just win you snaps on Saturdays, of course, but Neal has good reason to be proud of his gains, having built himself up to 6-7, 290 pounds, a 20-pound hike while losing body fat in the process. So that's one thing.

Here's another thing: The fourth-year junior defensive end likes what the M.O. is from his new defensive line coach Mike Dawson.

http://www.1011now.com/content/spor...-darkhorse-in-Nebraska-QB-race-479475463.html

Ummmm, did he get to 90*?

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta

Husker Football Fan Podcast@HuskerPod

“Last year, they had the D-line kind of waiting a little bit, playing lag technique,” Thomas said. “This year, we can kind of just go and just be ourself and go and make things happen and make plays. That’s what I like.” https://twitter.com/OWHbigred/status/984446672288845824 …

10:54 AM - Apr 12, 2018

Husker Football Fan Podcast@HuskerPod

“The schemes, they have no relation to each other,” said Stille. “It’s different. It’s obviously a 3-4 still, but as far as specific roles and stuff, they’re a lot different. Aggressive is a good term to describe this defense. Aggressive as far as from my standpoint at D-line

Reactions: yNOTskers
when it appears you've been passed on the depth chart by a walk on, it's probably time to move on if you want to play. This puts us in a shallow spot with our QB depth. A grad transfer OR another walk on who is a fit for Frost's offense would be a nice thing to get.
A bit problematic to get a grad transfer to come and ride the pine for a season. I think we are rolling with the three we got plus the Masker kid is on the roster.

A bit problematic to get a grad transfer to come and ride the pine for a season. I think we are rolling with the three we got plus the Masker kid is on the roster.
5 is kind of my minimum number of guys we need on the roster. Another dual threat walk on would be nice or a guy recruited for another position who could learn the QB position for emergencies would help. I think Mazour played some high school QB.

Reactions: saluno22
5 is kind of my minimum number of guys we need on the roster. Another dual threat walk on would be nice or a guy recruited for another position who could learn the QB position for emergencies would help. I think Mazour played some high school QB.
Ding, ding, ding on Mazour. Superstate QB per LJS and first team all-Nebraska per OWH. I think he fits the break glass if necessary option in this offense.
Edit to say dingle that he did more than just play some QB in high school.

Ding, ding, ding on Mazour. Superstate QB per LJS and first team all-Nebraska per OWH. I think he fits the break glass if necessary option in this offense.
Edit to say dingle that he did more than just play some QB in high school.
I don't know if he could see over the line to pass the ball, but he would be dangerous in an option attack for sure.

5 is a good number but ideally they would be spread out a bit more. Next year with the addition of Vedral we are going to have Gebbia, Martinez (suspect a redshirt), Vedral and a 2018 recruit all with 3+ years of eligibility left + Bunch.

Reid Karel can be the emergency QB. 6’3” 205 - played QB at Seward.

So much untapped talent and potential on this team. Frost and Duvall will bring it out of them.
I really agree with this. Our recruiting over the past four years has not been top 20 or elite. But it was consistently in the 20's. That is higher than teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. But those schools out coached us and know how to develop players into their system.

I am not going to predict something crazy like a 10 or 11 win season. Too many variables and the players have to learn a new system on both sides of the ball. But I do think the trajectory is very, very positive. I could see us having a really solid and competitive season this year (9 wins) and a breakout season next year.

What I will be watching closely this Fall is how the team reacts when we get our nose bloodied for the first time. What will happen if Michigan, early in the season, shit-cans us to the curb? Right now it seems that player buy-in to the Frost hype is real. They seem excited too. They seem to believe in Frost. Will that evaporate if we have some bad outings on the road against the big boys?? To me that is the key. How competitive will we be in big games? Will we avoid blowouts? If we are blown out by Michigan and OSU how will the team react?

Going to be a very interesting Fall!

I really agree with this. Our recruiting over the past four years has not been top 20 or elite. But it was consistently in the 20's. That is higher than teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. But those schools out coached us and know how to develop players into their system.

I am not going to predict something crazy like a 10 or 11 win season. Too many variables and the players have to learn a new system on both sides of the ball. But I do think the trajectory is very, very positive. I could see us having a really solid and competitive season this year (9 wins) and a breakout season next year.

What I will be watching closely this Fall is how the team reacts when we get our nose bloodied for the first time. What will happen if Michigan, early in the season, shit-cans us to the curb? Right now it seems that player buy-in to the Frost hype is real. They seem excited too. They seem to believe in Frost. Will that evaporate if we have some bad outings on the road against the big boys?? To me that is the key. How competitive will we be in big games? Will we avoid blowouts? If we are blown out by Michigan and OSU how will the team react?

Anymore NEGATIVE feelings going forward? What if the
QB drops the ball on the first possession, what will that tell you?
(as if it matters).......

its going to be awesome when we beat Michigan

Count me in on this! I’m not sold on ole Jimmy up in Ann Arbor. I think defensively they’ll struggle with a Frost style offense. Maybe we’re wrong, but of all the “Big Boys” on our schedule this year, the game with Meatchicken is the one I think we win. Also think we’ll give Michigan State all they want.

I think frost is dying to get his shot at the big boys, especially U of M after UCF played them tough. If he can instill his mindset as a coach into his players, football at DONU is going to be a lot of fun again.

I think frost is dying to get his shot at the big boys, especially U of M after UCF played them tough. If he can instill his mindset as a coach into his players, football at DONU is going to be a lot of fun again.

?? Michigan beat UCF 51-14 ??

Michigan’s defense will be elite next year - 9 starters return. I don’t think we beat them in year 1.

Last edited:
?? Michigan beat UCF 51-14 ??

Michigan’s defense will be elite next year - 9 starters return. I don’t think we beat them in year 1.
Yes, that didn't read the best. What I meant was that they looked like they put forth the effort and were aggressive and physical, the score wasn't close, they were out-manned. It was the mindset and attitude I was referring to.

Count me in on this! I’m not sold on ole Jimmy up in Ann Arbor. I think defensively they’ll struggle with a Frost style offense. Maybe we’re wrong, but of all the “Big Boys” on our schedule this year, the game with Meatchicken is the one I think we win. Also think we’ll give Michigan State all they want.

I feel the same way maybe it’s Karma because Devaney beat Michigan in his first year in late September, and if Shea Patterson doesn’t get his transfer papers this game looks like a winnable game compared to going to Madison or Columbus and leaving with a “W”.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I feel the same way maybe it’s Karma because Devaney beat Michigan in his first year in late September, and if Shea Patterson doesn’t get his transfer papers this game looks like a winnable game compared to going to Madison or Columbus and leaving with a “W”.
I think the parallehs with Devaney in 62 are interesting. That win launched the Nebraska renaissance. And of all of the "big boys" in the B1G, Michigan is the most beatable. A win there would be hug!

Quite frankly, there is only one game on our schedule that I would rate as an almost certain loss. And that is OSU, of course. But we have the talent to go toe to toe with everyone else. Will we? As I said above... too many variables to make that call right now.

But if we beat Michigan that would be a massive shot of confidence adrenaline for the rest of the year.

Can't wait! I have not been this excited for the start of a new season since 2000.

Reactions: scarletred
Why was a win over a 2-7 Michigan team that big of a deal? Because it was Devaney's 2nd game overall and 1st against a name team?
Yes and yes. Michigan, though having a down year in 62 was a big name team. Look at the national headlines after that game. It made a splash. It gave Devaney's first team some street cred, deserved or not.

And this year's Michigan team, though much better than that 62 team, is also no juggernaut. They are beatable. Will we beat them? Both my head and my heart say no. But they are beatable in a realistic sense, and not just in a "on any given Saturday" sense.

I think it’s pretty clear Gebbia and Martinez are separating themselves. If Noah can get cleared that would be great.

Yes and yes. Michigan, though having a down year in 62 was a big name team. Look at the national headlines after that game. It made a splash. It gave Devaney's first team some street cred, deserved or not.

And this year's Michigan team, though much better than that 62 team, is also no juggernaut. They are beatable. Will we beat them? Both my head and my heart say no. But they are beatable in a realistic sense, and not just in a "on any given Saturday" sense.

I guess, but football in the 1960s was so different. Colorado was at top 10 team in 61 and only won 2 games in 62. Michigan was an unranked 6-3 team in 61 and an unranked 2-7 in 62.

I definitely don't see a correlation in the game of 1962 and 2018 though. Michigan in 2018 is supposed to be a top 10 team.

I guess if I had to dig to find a correlation I could, but it just seems we are tying too hard to make a connection.

I guess, but football in the 1960s was so different. Colorado was at top 10 team in 61 and only won 2 games in 62. Michigan was an unranked 6-3 team in 61 and an unranked 2-7 in 62.

I definitely don't see a correlation in the game of 1962 and 2018 though. Michigan in 2018 is supposed to be a top 10 team.

I guess if I had to dig to find a correlation I could, but it just seems we are tying too hard to make a connection.
Lol. You are probably right. The "correlation" is that it is Michigan. But you are correct about college football being so different in 62 from today.

Still... Michigan was a big name then and still is. It is a stretch to compare the two, I agree, but there is that tiny correlation.

Lol. You are probably right. The "correlation" is that it is Michigan. But you are correct about college football being so different in 62 from today.

Still... Michigan was a big name then and still is. It is a stretch to compare the two, I agree, but there is that tiny correlation.

It is probably similar to teams beating Nebraska in the last decade or so. Big time historical program with a lot of brand recognition but pretty much a paper tiger.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I have to believe they will show more fight than we have seen in many years. This program was so soft, on all facets, but painfully clear, just how weak they were mentally. The team displayed no fight, which was a direct reflection of smilin' mike. (I purposely don't capitalize his nickname).

While they may not get the desired result of handling this adversity early on, this is usually the first step when establishing/rebuilding a program. At some point in the next couple of years, I think we will be welcoming the discussion of how they handle prosperity and going from the "hunter" to the "hunted".

GBR

Tuco, has to remember Nebraska hadn’t been winning much prior to 1962.

I like everyone's enthusiasm but these things take time. I am eager to win as well. Patience is going to be needed. IMO 6 wins next year is expected, 7 would be great. I just dont see 9 wins. Now 2019 schedule is set up to be a break through year for the Huskers. I see top 10 in two years. That schedule is gravy. 10-2 or 11-1.

Reactions: MU4NU

VIDEO OF BUNCH

Cool. Another dude that can squat what I do, plus my body weight, plus close to a couple of extra plates...Laughing

I did not think there was any way that UCF would beat Auburn,,,
But they did. Don’t underestimate us.

I expect to be better, but many are using year 2 results at UCF to project year 1 at Nebraska. UCF struggled some in Frosts 1st year.

Reactions: footnfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT