ADVERTISEMENT

Vomiting in Practice

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
So Scott Frost has stated publicly, almost as if he is bragging about it, that he estimates that there are 15-20 instances per practice of offensive lineman vomiting. He says the players are in shape but that they are just being worked that hard by Raiola.

Sorry coach but this is not something to brag on. It is shameful and the fact that Frost cannot see it as shameful is, sadly, one more indication that he is not fit to be a head coach. He is not fit to be a head coach for allowing this to happen in the first place. And he is not fit to be a head coach since his "better judgement" told him this was something that it was okay to brag about publicly. It shows he is clueless and arrogant. Still. After four years of clueless arrogance.

If we end up having a break out season I will be thrilled. Dancing in the aisles and kicking up my heels. But even if we do, I will still feel disgust in my stomach that this overgrown child is still our head coach.

I'll never forget when the Vikings hired Les Steckel as head coach. Training camp was non-stop hype about how the players were worked harder than ever. Military style to the max.

They went 3-13 and Steckel was fired. Bud Grant came back for 1 year to straighten out the mess and got them back to 8-8.

why-are-you-being-so-dramatic-anna-delvey.gif

So Scott Frost has stated publicly, almost as if he is bragging about it, that he estimates that there are 15-20 instances per practice of offensive lineman vomiting. He says the players are in shape but that they are just being worked that hard by Raiola.

Sorry coach but this is not something to brag on. It is shameful and the fact that Frost cannot see it as shameful is, sadly, one more indication that he is not fit to be a head coach. He is not fit to be a head coach for allowing this to happen in the first place. And he is not fit to be a head coach since his "better judgement" told him this was something that it was okay to brag about publicly. It shows he is clueless and arrogant. Still. After four years of clueless arrogance.

If we end up having a break out season I will be thrilled. Dancing in the aisles and kicking up my heels. But even if we do, I will still feel disgust in my stomach that this overgrown child is still our head coach.
I must have missed that video/write-up. Where did you see/hear that he said that? I'd be interested in seeing it.

It also may be a bit of hyperbole. 15-20 guys would be a significant number out of the total.

Wasn't puking a staple of the Osborne years in the weight room especially? I remember the vision often related about having buckets at every station. I always wondered who got to clean those up? Where do you throw up on a turf field? Are you allowed to take your helmet off first? Film at 7.

Frost really needs a handler for every word he says. There is no benefit to the puke comments….especially if the OL isn’t great.
Again, I'm interested in learning more about these "puke" comments. Is there a video or an interview someone can link? I'd like to know what he said & what the context was.

Sign of the times that people have an issue with this. Used to be a sign that hard work was being done and guys were pushing through to increase their performance and better themselves. Now it's proof of a sadistic coach who doesn't care about the well-being of his players.

Bring on the puking, I say!

It's football , I'm guessing never played

Was that Sports Nightly? If so, I'll find the recording. Thanks
Hey, Ozzy. There are a TON of articles on the web about the Frost puke comments. Football Scoop, NY Post, Sporting News.
Frost made the news again, didn't read many of them, some will say it's normal, other's will not. I'm neutral but it's a fairly natural occurrence if you're busting ass. Frost said it averages about 1 puke per player.

Sign of the times that people have an issue with this. Used to be a sign that hard work was being done and guys were pushing through to increase their performance and better themselves. Now it's proof of a sadistic coach who doesn't care about the well-being of his players.

I agree with this some what. When I played football coaches use to think disallowing water in practice was good for discipline. Now we known that’s just dumb.

It’s one thing to work hard, another to wear yourself out. The balance is difficult but that’s why these guys are paid big money.

It also may be a bit of hyperbole. 15-20 guys would be a significant number out of the total.

Wasn't puking a staple of the Osborne years in the weight room especially? I remember the vision often related about having buckets at every station. I always wondered who got to clean those up? Where do you throw up on a turf field? Are you allowed to take your helmet off first? Film at 7.
Yes - in the mid-90s, there was a puke barrel (lined large trash can) on either side of every squat rack in the Husker weight room

Saw it with my own two eyes

Jeezus people it was fvcking joke.

"He's coaching them hard," Frost said. "I laugh with the guys because there's about probably 15 to 20 vomits every day from offensive linemen. And it's not because they're not in shape. He's just working them hard. I think they love it. He's kind of freed them up to go be aggressive. I love the way they're coming off the ball. We've got a lot of guys up front that I think can play and be interchangeable. Donnie's done a good job of making all those guys better."

Anybody who believes this needs their head checked. Our players are constantly being monitored. If there were any real problems the staff would know.

Last edited:
Frost really needs a handler for every word he says. There is no benefit to the puke comments….especially if the OL isn’t great.
No he doesn't. Christ, I listened to it on Sports Nightly and it is literally him just bullshitting with Greg Sharpe. It's a huge nothing burger that people are blowing out of proportion because Scott talks more than he wins. The response to this is almost comical where even NFL Lineman are weighing in. It's like why do you care?

Jeezus people it was fvcking joke.

"He's coaching them hard," Frost said. "I laugh with the guys because there's about probably 15 to 20 vomits every day from offensive linemen. And it's not because they're not in shape. He's just working them hard. I think they love it. He's kind of freed them up to go be aggressive. I love the way they're coming off the ball. We've got a lot of guys up front that I think can play and be interchangeable. Donnie's done a good job of making all those guys better."
Frankly looks like one of Frost’s best quotes

Reactions: BleedRed78
Its actually a sign of a good coach and good culture that the players are working hard to the point they puke. The whole purpose of a coach is to work players to the point they can't think they can go anymore then get them to work past that point. The fact that someone is angry that players are working very hard blows my mind.

Pennsy, let me float this by you and the others, see if it makes any sense.

First of all, when you have athletes competing at a high level, its important to test their ability to work, and work hard.

I doubt many of us on this forum are surprised at the amount of vomiting, as Frost said, it amounts to about once per player.

THEORY: Through last season, by some accounts, Frost and Austin did not see eye to eye regarding techniques the OL used and were being taught. Frost, likely was more "pro aggressive" and Austin was more "pro patty cake."

If and when Frost decided to fire Austin and hire a new OL coach, it's possible that interview process spelled out that the now fired OL coach did not have the kids reach full potential in either physical or technique areas. It is "possible" Frost said who ever gets hired will be expected to "work the piss out of them" and be way more aggressive.

So, IF, and this whole post is about me speculating, so it's just an opinion. So, the numbers have shown SOME of these OLmen have doubled their last years physical performance. Depending on the metrics Frost was using, it would bear out that Austin ran a pretty loose ship.

We all know, athletes don't make large increases unless they are really physically stressed. And it looks like that is exactly what Raiola has been doing. In athletics, there is what's known as supercompensation.

IF, as the RUMOR flowed yesterday, there was in fact a shouting match between Frost and Raiola, could it be that one or the other reached the point of saying this is too much, we can't push these kids any harder? I don't know if anything like that occurred.

Spreading this rumor even farther, maybe word got back to Trev about players loving it or hating it, and Trev taking an opposite opinion. Again, pure speculation on my part. If an exchange happened between Frost and Trev, or Raiola and Trev, and his support or disapproval spurred the exchange?

In the event, Frost came down on Raiola for working these kids too hard in drills they were less effective when moving to the practice field, its possible Raiola reminded Frost of what he was expected to do when he was hired. None of us know, I certainly don't know.

We probably won't get the entire truth of what happened, but if it comes down to he said/he said, I'm gonna side with Raiola as I feel Frost is not a trustworthy person, his character has borne that out for a lot of years. But a blow out among the head coach and position coach 10 days away from the opener, is not a good look.

Feel free to agree or disagree. This is nothing more than a post of speculation.

Nothing to be outraged over… But agree it’s a bit ridiculous. Kind of just roll my eyes at 50% of his comments at this point. Reminds me of the high school friend that everyone knew was FOS every time he talked.

Started with the “no squatting” during the Riley years, which multiple players said was BS, continued with the culture comments over the last few years. Now he’s found his next scapegoat in Greg Austin. 15-20 pukes a day would mean every single player is puking every practice, and some of them twice. For a month straight. Players would say F this, I’m out of that we’re the case.

I am sure the guys are working hard, and I’m excited to see how they look with the new schemes. We’ve been hearing HCSF say “we’re gonna out lift/work the league” for the last 4 years, followed by 3 win seasons, so it doesn’t really mean much to me.

Nothing to be outraged over… But agree it’s a bit ridiculous. Kind of just roll my eyes at 50% of his comments at this point. Reminds me of the high school friend that everyone knew was FOS every time he talked.

Started with the “no squatting” during the Riley years, which multiple players said was BS, continued with the culture comments over the last few years. Now he’s found his next scapegoat in Greg Austin. 15-20 pukes a day would mean every single player is puking every practice, and some of them twice. For a month straight. Players would say F this, I’m out of that we’re the case.

I am sure the guys are working hard, and I’m excited to see how they look with the new schemes. We’ve been hearing HCSF say “we’re gonna out lift/work the league” for the last 4 years, followed by 3 win seasons, so it doesn’t really mean much to me.
Frost's constant hyperbole tend to ring hollow. He truly is FOS.

• Haha
Reactions: CriticalObserver
ADVERTISEMENT