ADVERTISEMENT

SPRING CAMP: DAY 8

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 1

More notes and quotes;

- Per Dan Hoppen - Through one practice, Mike Riley seems like the CEO type. Trusts his coaches to handle their positions.

- Leroy Alexander had a pick 6 off a drop. Looks good.

- Riley quote,  "I think it's a good looking corps of receivers. The defensive line is one of the most impressive units on the team."

- The zone read still seems to be in the new offense.

Really enjoyed reading al the coverage of the first day of camp. It's going to be a fun ride.

Good to hear regarding the zone read. Like I said, I'm totally on board with reducing the quantity, but I didn't want to see it completely go away.

Re: SPRING CAMP UPDATE

Originally posted by Egregious Error:
My only hope is that if our starter is a running threat at all (I would say both TA and Stanton would apply, even Fyfe to a lesser extent), that Riley & Langsdorf do keep designed a few run plays for the QB in the playbook, even if the number of times they're called within each game is less than what Beck typically called. Along the lines of what the 49ers do with Kaepernick, it's usually only 1-5 times per game, but that's enough to make defenses either respect it or pay the price when it is called.
Yes, you don't need a QB who is your main run threat, just one who can get a first down when the play breaks down, or rack up a chunk of yards on a surprise play here or there. A lot of guys on here seem to place too much importance on a QB that has the ability to bust a run for a td every down. Other than Nebraska in the 90's when has a run-centric QB accomplished much of substance? IMO completion percentage is the most important stat for a QB. See below for what I would assume most people would consider as successful "running" quarterbacks.

Vince Young 2005 - Comp % - 65.2% Passing Yards - 3,036
JaMarcus Russell 2006 - Comp % - 67.8% Passing Yards - 3,129
Cam Newton 2010 - Comp % - 66.1% Passing Yards - 2,854
Colin Kapernick 2010 - Comp% - 64.9% Passing Yards - 3,022
Marcus Mariota 2014 - Comp % - 68.3% Passing Yards - 4,454

Get around the 65% level or above and that is where the magic happens.

Notes:

- No new injuries after Day 1 of practice.

- PiersonEl, Westy, Reilly, Moore, Hovey, seem to be the top 6 receivers at this time.

- Big recruiting day Monday, as the California 11 are suppose to attend practice. Including Keyshan Johnson's son.

Notes:

- No new injuries after Day 1 of practice.

- PiersonEl, Westy, Reilly, Moore, Hovey, seem to be the top 6 receivers at this time.

- Big recruiting day Monday, as the California 11 are suppose to attend practice. Including Keyshan Johnson's son.

Tough to tell from the comments, but I'm hoping you will start a new thread for each day. Otherwise, it will be a real pain to scroll through to find where one day starts and the other begins.

Thanks for the effort, BTW!
This post was edited on 3/9 4:59 PM by mkbrkloster

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:
Tough to tell from the comments, but I'm hoping you will start a new thread for each day. Otherwise, it will be a real pain to scroll through to find where one day starts and the other begins.

Thanks for the effort, BTW!
This post was edited on 3/9 4:59 PM by mkbrkloster
Totally Understand.

I keep it together so the story of the camp develops through the thread, and the debates can add context.

And thank you.

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 2

Notes:

- The white squad practiced first today, starting around 2:15p cst.

- Mike Riley was seen taking pictures with Keyshawn Johnson in front of the NC trophies.

- Stat to share; TE receptions over the past 2 years, NEB 32 vs Oregon St 136.

- Media heads feel Kieron Williams, could challenge Leroy Alexander at the safety spot across from Gerry.

More to come later.

Notes ans Quotes;

- Lavonte David attended practice today. Its has been commended the level of respect Pelini former players have shown current Coach Riley.

- Brian Christopher blackshirt references:

Rose said Banker brought up the Blackshirts "just to get us to understand how important it is to this football team, but also this state."

Michael Rose-Ivey said the first meeting with DC Mark Banker was about how the Blackshirts would be handled, and how the tradition started.

- Dan Hoppen, Michael Rose-Ivey: "I'd rather have the mentality of the Blackshirt than to just have a jersey. I feel like at times it was just handed out.

- Brian Rosenthal, DL coach Hank Hughes likes Jack Gangwish because's "big and strong" but mostly because "it means a lot to him" as instate player.

- Charles Jackson was playing the outside corner. Banker wants the 3rd best CB to be the nickel it seems. - Jackson said he's back full speed, and feels faster than he did before. Jackson went through the entirety of winter conditioning.

Originally posted by jeans15:
Notes ans Quotes;

- Lavonte David attended practice today. Its has been commended the level of respect Pelini former players have shown current Coach Riley.

Rose said Banker brought up the Blackshirts "just to get us to understand how important it is to this football team, but also this state."

Michael Rose-Ivey said the first meeting with DC Mark Banker was about how the Blackshirts would be handled, and how the tradition started.

- Dan Hoppen, Michael Rose-Ivey: "I'd rather have the mentality of the Blackshirt than to just have a jersey. I feel like at times it was just handed out.

- Brian Rosenthal, DL coach Hank Hughes likes Jack Gangwish because's "big and strong" but mostly because "it means a lot to him" as instate player.

- Charles Jackson was playing the outside corner. Banker wants the 3rd best CB to be the nickel it seems. - Jackson said he's back full speed, and feels faster than he did before. Jackson went through the entirety of winter conditioning.
I love this attitude. It's not just a shirt. It's pride and respect. Not a piece of cloth that a 1st teamer wears.

Notes:

- Boaz Joseph battled a turf toe injury all last year that limited his ability on the field. He said the toe is now healthy.

- Banker quote per Grant Muessel:
Defenders figured to have an easier transition into the new staff’s scheme because of a smaller language barrier and smaller playbook according to Mike Riley, and Banker reiterated that sentiment Monday for a different reason.

“The fortunate thing for us schematically personnel-wise is they were built for a 4-3 team,” Banker said. “They played a type of quarters secondary, so personnel-wise that configuration is there.”

- Not much out there about the offense from today's practice.
This post was edited on 3/9 10:21 PM by jeans15

Notes:

-First Practice with pads today.

-Michael Brunz,Riley said he likes the way his players are learning the schemes that they're putting forth in the first few practices.

One wrinkle that Nebraska has added is the running game out of the shotgun. Riley said that they had rarely done so at Oregon State, but that running out of the shotgun would allow them to run more efficient bootlegs and also take advantage of the quarterbacks' athleticism more.

Keith Williams spoke with media Wednesday and said that he really likes Alonzo Moore - the physical aspects are there - he just wants to see more aggression from the junior wide receiver.

The biggest key for Williams, this spring, is teaching route running. He wants precision from his group he said.

- Mike Schaeffer, Pierson-El is experiencing some changes with coaching as Nebraska now has a special team's coordinator with Bruce Read.

"That's a real different part to go to just one person instead of a group of coaches," he said. "He helps me understand what we're going to do, how we're going to attack it and just getting the calls and everything. He's asking me how I feel about things. It's been alright."

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 3

Notes:

- Both Davie and C. Jackson left practice with an injury. Davies was an ankle. Not sure about Jackson.

- Langsdorf says that they have been watching tape of Russell Wilson. To get a better idea of using the QB run game.

- Mike Cavanaugh: "I don't care if you're a senior or a freshman, a leader better emerge. ... It's not an ownership thing. You earn that."

Notes ans Quotes;

- Charles Jackson was playing the outside corner. Banker wants the 3rd best CB to be the nickel it seems. - Jackson said he's back full speed, and feels faster than he did before. Jackson went through the entirety of winter conditioning.
Can someone down in Lincoln tell them, including Rose-Ivey, about the real tradition? It is handed out for first team players. This concept of you have to earn it during the season...you have to have the right mentality to get one...is all wrong for the tradition. First team defense gets blackshirts...period.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:Can someone down in Lincoln tell them, including Rose-Ivey, about the real tradition? It is handed out for first team players. This concept of you have to earn it during the season...you have to have the right mentality to get one...is all wrong for the tradition. First team defense gets blackshirts...period.
Totally agree. You "earn" the blackshirt by making first string. You "keep" the blackshirt by being better than anyone else at your position. The tradition is that the blackshirts are handed out to the first team "starters" players. Period. You want to return the blackshirts to something of pride then stop giving up 70 points and 700 yards to Wisconsin. It's that simple.

This post was edited on 3/11 10:41 PM by bigboxes

Notes:

- Langsdorf says that they have been watching tape of Russell Wilson. To get a better idea of using the QB run game.

Sounds OK, but we may have some old running QB game tapes laying around in house there somewhere too.

Was it a split practice still today? That really makes sense to me for increasing rep opportunities.

Langsdorf says the OLine struggled with hard counts because of no more clap snaps.

NO MORE CLAP SNAPS!

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:

Notes ans Quotes;

Can someone down in Lincoln tell them, including Rose-Ivey, about the real tradition? It is handed out for first team players. This concept of you have to earn it during the season...you have to have the right mentality to get one...is all wrong for the tradition. First team defense gets blackshirts...period.
I easily could be wrong, but the way I read it was that having the blackshirt mentality was a mindset that starts from the beginning, and that would last throughout the season... It's not something that comes and goes according to the performance. At times, Bo and Co. handed out the shirts randomly and would yank them for poor play when that happened.

I know the previous staff often waited for a great defensive performance, but at other times it seemed like they had to hand out the shirts before the end of the season, meaning it wasn't necessarily for a great performance.

To me, I think he is saying, jersey or not, we need to play to a certain standard game in and game out, and not think that we've arrived because we now have a jersey.

Again, I could be wrong.

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 5

Notes:

- Stanton had a really good day throwing the ball today.

- Conversely, Tommy had his worst day, throwing 3 picks, and was late on his throws. Prompting one reporter, to question if he was still injured.

- Trai Mosley ran with the first team and had all 3 picks of Tommy.

- Malik Collins was unblockable today, especially in the ono on one

- Mike Severe, Tolbert is a tough cover for these guys. Grabbed a couple of under throws and wide passes.

- Steve Sipple, Offense is a mess right now. QBs swimming in new information. Transition is tough.

- Davie and Jackson should both return from their injuries.

Notes and quotes:

- Mike Riley on defense, "Our philosophy defensively is to teach the foundation well and not have too much stuff," Riley said. "Guys need to know how to play within a scheme first - the repetition of just playing and adjusting and making plays, playing and adjusting, then making plays. The ideal game, if you can be balanced enough and play well enough, is to have one call defensively and the kids know so much about how to play it that they're going to execute. That's not what we're going to do - nobody does that - but that'd be great as a coach."

- Trai Mosley has really began to make an impression in practice.

- Dedrick Young and Luke Gifford have stood out per Coach Bray.

- Sam Mckewon,On football: Nebraska DL coach Hank Hughes likes the progress Freedom Akinmoladun has made in short amount of time.

This post was edited on 3/16 8:54 PM by jeans15

More notes:

- Per Grant Muessel, Bray said Josh Banderas has thrived at MLB not having to think so much. "I want to see you do stuff fast, and he's really taken to it."

- Per Dan Hoppen, Joe Keels said he still loves the old coaching staff, but was disappointed in how they handled him.

- Media was not allowed at practice today.

More notes:

- Per Grant Muessel, Bray said Josh Banderas has thrived at MLB not having to think so much. "I want to see you do stuff fast, and he's really taken to it."

- Per Dan Hoppen, Joe Keels said he still loves the old coaching staff, but was disappointed in how they handled him.

Multiple reporters that watched Saturday's practice have stated in radio interviews that TA struggled mightily Saturday. 3 INTs. Nobody offered the context of those though. We don't know what he had for a line in front of him, what the D was, what the play calls were, etc. Bush continues to look good. Stanton seems to lack accuracy at times according to one reporter. Mosely had 3 INTs and a fumble return for 6? They must obviously be doing some short scrimmage work for the reporterettes to watch. That's great for them and us.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
More notes:

Multiple reporters that watched Saturday's practice have stated in radio interviews that TA struggled mightily Saturday. 3 INTs. Nobody offered the context of those though. We don't know what he had for a line in front of him, what the D was, what the play calls were, etc. Bush continues to look good. Stanton seems to lack accuracy at times according to one reporter. Mosely had 3 INTs and a fumble return for 6? They must obviously be doing some short scrimmage work for the reporterettes to watch. That's great for them and us.
Still think Stanton's the starter by the first game.

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 7

Notes and quotes:

- Tommy sat out of practice today with back spasms, thus Stanton and Fyfe took the first unit snaps.

- Hail Varsity,

Sweep plays were a big part of Wednesday's practice, probably more than any other specific play. A half-dozen players took turns taking handoff on sweeps while Langsdorf looked on, looking most concerned with the first pivot of the wide receiver and the quarterback-receiver exchange.

With top cornerback Daniel Davie out in a walking boot due to his ankle sprain, Trai Mosley and Jonathan Rose appear to be the "top" cornerbacks with Byerson Cockrell playing safety alongside Nate Gerry. The apparent ones and twos rotated a bit near the end of practice, but the coaches seem to like what they have with Mosley.

Both Riley and Langsdorf confirmed Armstrong was sitting out of practice due to back spasms that have been plaguing the quarterback for a couple of days now. Riley was clear after practice that it was important for Armstrong to heal, which is why the coaches decided to have him sit out.

"He's sort of struggled through a couple of practices with [back spasms]," Riley said. "We just decided to keep him out today."

Junior offensive lineman Dylan Utter threw a punch at sophomore defensive end Erik Evans late in practice, which resulted in a yelling match between the offensive and defensive players on the field. Riley called the whole group together once they were calmed down to get the team back on track.

Thanks for update, I like a little skirmish in the trenches

Originally posted by bigboxes:
Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:Can someone down in Lincoln tell them, including Rose-Ivey, about the real tradition? It is handed out for first team players. This concept of you have to earn it during the season...you have to have the right mentality to get one...is all wrong for the tradition. First team defense gets blackshirts...period.
Totally agree. You "earn" the blackshirt by making first string. You "keep" the blackshirt by being better than anyone else at your position. The tradition is that the blackshirts are handed out to the first team "starters" players. Period. You want to return the blackshirts to something of pride then stop giving up 70 points and 700 yards to Wisconsin. It's that simple.

This post was edited on 3/11 10:41 PM by bigboxes
Unless you were McKeon on a Cosgrove defense. We wanted all those guys held to a performance standard and to hand theirs back in. Whether they were 1st team or not.

Edit: I even believe such Blackshirt traditionalists as JP55 called for this, having been a "real" Blackshirt.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:40 PM by jflores

Like the positive news about Mosley. He was our recruit that was a bit undersized correct? Will he be able to hang better than our most recent undersized senior CB?

LeRoy alexander, is he not the best safety on the team? He's running with the second team...I dont get that. Maybe, my memory is shot, but I thought that guy was a dude back there.

Originally posted by balsy:
LeRoy alexander, is he not the best safety on the team? He's running with the second team...I dont get that. Maybe, my memory is shot, but I thought that guy was a dude back there.
Maybe they like the coverage skills Cockrell has at the safety position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT