ADVERTISEMENT

SPRING CAMP: DAY 8

jeans15

Head Coach
Feb 23, 2011
Tomorrow is the first day of spring football at Nebraska.

I will be posting a compilation of information here regarding spring practices. No Insider information, just news, notes and quotes that I come across.

If you have any information, please feel free to post it. It will be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't yet. Today is the day to get behind the new coaching staff. I'm all N.

Notes:

- Dual Practices? I like the idea of splitting the teams up into 2 teams. Then having 2 different practices. A chance for more people to showcase their talent.

- Tommy quote: "The first thing he told me is that I'm not going to be a running back," Tommy Armstrong said Wednesday of offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf. "And then he just told me he wants me to sit in the pocket and make smart decisions."

- Riley quote on Armstrong: a "quick arm," Riley said.
"Just looking at the natural rhythm of throwing the ball - and the relatively quick release - and it just looks comfortable for him," Riley said.

Back with more updates

This post was edited on 3/21 12:22 PM by jeans15

Re: SPRING CAMP UPDATE

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Appreciate you doing this jeans, definitely a highlight.
Thank you very much. Just trying to contribute to the board.

Notes:

- A good read by Sam Mckewon OWH:

Armstrong conceded he’s not quite as comfortable with some of the technical details that will be required of him in Riley’s and Langsdorf’s offense. He’ll be in a huddle much more often, for starters — so he’ll have to communicate the plays to teammates, instead of the whole unit looking to cardboard signs and hand gestures on the sideline — and Armstrong mentioned three times improving his footwork, specifically in reference to how the upper and lower halves of his body need to be in sync.

He’s had to work on five- and seven-step drops — used for longer, more elaborate passing plays. Armstrong estimates he’ll be under center 50 percent of the time. He used some of those passing plays during his sophomore and junior years at Cibolo Steele High School outside San Antonio, when his team ran an I-formation to accommodate former Texas running back Malcolm Brown, but Nebraska operated far more out of the shotgun in 2013 and 2014, making such dropbacks unnecessary.

The key to good footwork, Armstrong said, is finding a rhythm, a “hop step” that puts quarterbacks in the best position to throw the ball. Langsdorf, Armstrong said, compared it to being a good dancer.

“His main message was: We’ll see who can dance and who can’t,” Armstrong said.

Armstrong’s message to Langsdorf: Let’s get to know each other. Those around the program have seen Armstrong’s rapport-building skills at work during practice. He jokes. He talks. He occasionally barks, if something goes awry.

In an interview with The World-Herald last week, Riley said Armstrong has frequented the coaches’ offices, even those of defensive coaches.

- Nate Gerry has been quoted saying this defense is a lot simpler than the old system. Thats good to hear imo.

- Good to know Leroy Alexander is back in the mix at safety.

- Strength and conditioning note:

Nebraska defensive tackle Maliek Collins said he’d never performed a from-the-floor power clean until new strength coach Mark Philipp introduced that exercise to the team this winter.

But from what Collins understands, beginning those types of explosive lifts with a barbell on the floor is a movement that can translate well to the football field. Especially for the junior and his fellow linemen, who have to start plays with a hand on the ground before bursting out of a stance.

“I made a lot of gains,” Collins said.

Other NU players had similar reports Wednesday when they discussed Nebraska’s six-week winter conditioning program, their first extended training setting with Philipp. There were changes they had to adjust to, but they came away with positive views.

Olympic-style lifts were assigned more often — anything to emphasize explosion and mobility, according to junior safety Nate Gerry.

They ran more. A lot more.

Guys like senior defensive tackle Kevin Williams, with an extensive injury history, had specific workouts individually tailored. That happened in the past, but the alterations weren’t as specific as they were this winter, according to Williams.

Philipp, he said, “does a really good job of finding different ways to still activate the muscles that he wants and to get stronger in certain areas — (even) by not doing certain exercises.”

It seems that Philipp also made it a priority to create a positive environment.

“He’s another guy who’s really enthusiastic,” junior receiver Jordan Westerkamp said. “He gets you going. It could be 5:30 in the morning, but he comes in like it’s 3 in the afternoon. He’s ready to go. Love this new strength staff.”

This post was edited on 3/6 9:54 AM by jeans15

Just speculation on my part, but I don't think Riley and Langsdorf will adjust the offense as much as they say they would. I think TA2 is going to struggle with the new offense.

I don't want to keep living in the past about the old staff but is Maliek serious?

How have they never performed power cleans before? Am I reading that wrong?

Originally posted by Husk10:

I read it as they've never done them from the ground.
That's my take. Not from the floor.

That is my thought as well. I just dont see this staff adopting much if any spread components or QB run game into their offense. When TA struggles running a WCO, the door will swing open wide for Fyfe/Stanton to take the reins.

Originally posted by St. Anger:
Just speculation on my part, but I don't think Riley and Langsdorf will adjust the offense as much as they say they would. I think TA2 is going to struggle with the new offense.
This would be my guess as well. There are very few coaches who just completely go away with what they know to accommodate a completely opposite philosophy.

I tend to agree. If his legs aren't going to be a priority, then his grip on the position will depend on his accuracy and decision making. Both suspect IMO. He is the leader in the clubhouse, and that's about all he can ask for going into camp.

nailed it from my perspective

I'll just add that I'm glad we are switching to a pro style offense. It will be easier to recruit to that style I think. We want those kind of recruits, and for them to come in and learn the pro system in college will only yield positive benefits when they graduate and head to the next level. Win/Win scenario.

For those of you saying that TA is going to struggle, are you thinking there may be a different starter at some point in the season? Be careful, because that is a touchy subject for some.

The article says that TA ran plays out of the I formation in high school. We will see if that experience helps.

My only hope is that if our starter is a running threat at all (I would say both TA and Stanton would apply, even Fyfe to a lesser extent), that Riley & Langsdorf do keep designed a few run plays for the QB in the playbook, even if the number of times they're called within each game is less than what Beck typically called. Along the lines of what the 49ers do with Kaepernick, it's usually only 1-5 times per game, but that's enough to make defenses either respect it or pay the price when it is called.

Originally posted by sparky62:

How do you do a Power Clean if not from the floor? Isn't that a Hang Clean? With no first pull, or a shorter first pull, you can't move near as much weight because you don't have as much, or any, acceleration leading into the explosive second pull.

Originally posted by HuskerAlum92:

How do you do a Power Clean if not from the floor? Isn't that a Hang Clean? With no first pull, or a shorter first pull, you can't move near as much weight because you don't have as much, or any, acceleration leading into the explosive second pull.
I'm wondering if they didn't separate it into 2 moves. First the dead lift then the hang clean.

Originally posted by Egregious Error:
My only hope is that if our starter is a running threat at all (I would say both TA and Stanton would apply, even Fyfe to a lesser extent), that Riley & Langsdorf do keep designed a few run plays for the QB in the playbook, even if the number of times they're called within each game is less than what Beck typically called. Along the lines of what the 49ers do with Kaepernick, it's usually only 1-5 times per game, but that's enough to make defenses either respect it or pay the price when it is called.
According to what Langsdorf told TA, he'll still have some run game, but he will not be a running back. Langsdorf and Riley had indicated at one time, that taking advantage of a mobile QB doesn't mean you have to design run him all the time, you can roll him out and stuff like that to keep the defense moving.

Originally posted by jflores:
This would be my guess as well. There are very few coaches who just completely go away with what they know to accommodate a completely opposite philosophy.
All of them are going to experience a learning curve. TA is getting much better QB coaching so its hard to say how he'll respond. He might be light years better in the new offense. It will be fun to watch and for NU the best scenario really probably is for a spirited close competition with TA winning the job.

I'm wondering if they didn't separate it into 2 moves. First the dead lift then the hang clean.
Then I would call that just a hang clean. The amount of weight you can deadlift >>>> the amount of weight you can hang clean. A deadlift with a weight you can hang clean is pretty much a worthless rep, except for maybe as a warm-up.

Quotes:

Riley on DPE:

Riley watched the Holiday Bowl live when Pierson-El capped his freshman season with a game-high eight receptions for 102 yards and a TD.

"We can run the fly sweep with him, we can run our wide receiver screens, we can run our reverses with him and we can run the posts," Riley said, in response to a question about getting an idea what returning Huskers can do. "And then we got to teach him a comeback to the field, and that's a pretty good package for a guy. So a little bit of what we're teaching, we've got a little bit of an idea already. We have to just do that with more players."

-Note on defensive line pay:

Things will change on the defensive line, possibly in a less visible but equally impactful way. Senior defensive tackle Kevin Williams said there’s plenty of playbook to be read and practice to run through, but he’s happy with the change in scheme that will allow defensive linemen to make plays and get into the backfield, rather than acting as placeholder to chew up blocks and gaps while linebackers make tackles.

We’ll have a more in-depth look at the ins-and-outs of the beneficial changes on the defensive front next week, but for now, Williams thinks the new playbook suits Nebraska’s personnel better.

“A little bit more ready, aim, fire. It will enable us to make more plays up front; free us up a little bit more,” he said. “It sounded like this year we’re actually going to have a rotation more so like we were supposed to have last year between the D-linemen.”

-
This post was edited on 3/6 9:16 PM by jeans15

Originally posted by jeans15:
Quotes:

Riley on DPE:

Riley watched the Holiday Bowl live when Pierson-El capped his freshman season with a game-high eight receptions for 102 yards and a TD.

"We can run the fly sweep with him, we can run our wide receiver screens, we can run our reverses with him and we can run the posts," Riley said, in response to a question about getting an idea what returning Huskers can do. "And then we got to teach him a comeback to the field, and that's a pretty good package for a guy. So a little bit of what we're teaching, we've got a little bit of an idea already. We have to just do that with more players."

Things will change on the defensive line, possibly in a less visible but equally impactful way. Senior defensive tackle Kevin Williams said there's plenty of playbook to be read and practice to run through, but he's happy with the change in scheme that will allow defensive linemen to make plays and get into the backfield, rather than acting as placeholder to chew up blocks and gaps while linebackers make tackles.

We'll have a more in-depth look at the ins-and-outs of the beneficial changes on the defensive front next week, but for now, Williams thinks the new playbook suits Nebraska's personnel better.

"A little bit more ready, aim, fire. It will enable us to make more plays up front; free us up a little bit more," he said. "It sounded like this year we're actually going to have a rotation more so like we were supposed to have last year between the D-linemen."

-
Finally. Back to the attacking front from the McBride days. Let the big boys get after it and put pressure on the opposing O-line. The opposition's O-line's job just got a bunch tougher. Battles are won in the trenches and for the past 7 years our opposition was ceded at worst a stalemate right from the snap.

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 1

Great thread Jeans! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this up.

Matthew.

Originally posted by Cdn Blackshirt:

Matthew.
+1! This is gonna be a fun thread to follow.

Originally posted by Cdn Blackshirt:

Matthew.
Np, appreciate your participation.

No live media updates allowed until 1pm stay tuned.

Originally posted by jeans15:
Quotes:

Riley on DPE:

Things will change on the defensive line, possibly in a less visible but equally impactful way. Senior defensive tackle Kevin Williams said there's plenty of playbook to be read and practice to run through, but he's happy with the change in scheme that will allow defensive linemen to make plays and get into the backfield, rather than acting as placeholder to chew up blocks and gaps while linebackers make tackles.

We'll have a more in-depth look at the ins-and-outs of the beneficial changes on the defensive front next week, but for now, Williams thinks the new playbook suits Nebraska's personnel better.

"A little bit more ready, aim, fire. It will enable us to make more plays up front; free us up a little bit more," he said. "It sounded like this year we're actually going to have a rotation more so like we were supposed to have last year between the D-linemen."

-

Ready, Aim, Fire.......LOVE LOVE LOVE this.

Originally posted by jflores:
Originally posted by Egregious Error:
According to what Langsdorf told TA, he'll still have some run game, but he will not be a running back. Langsdorf and Riley had indicated at one time, that taking advantage of a mobile QB doesn't mean you have to design run him all the time, you can roll him out and stuff like that to keep the defense moving.
Tommy and every other guy QB on the roster can be thankful for Coach Riley and Coach Lansdorf. The offense we ran does not put QBs in the NFL and it never would have. Whatever adjustments that need to be made are part of the package. I think Tommy can be successful. He's got strength and throws downfield well. His short game needs dramatic improvement. I envision our QB play to look like Seattle's. The QB needs to get the ball to the playmakers and let them handle the abuse of the game. He should run on an occasional designed and move the chains when a play breaks down. You do NOT want him taking hits unnecessarily in the pocket or anywhere else. The position is too important to lose to injury.

This post was edited on 3/7 12:51 PM by c3ntral08

Just reading some of these quotes from the players... just baffles me. Not trying to beat a dead horse but wtf was the old staff doing?

I was known as one of the big negative guys (which I was) on these boards during the Bo error. Had a lot of beef with some posters (HTO was at the top haha) but I'm just glad to be excited about Nebraska football again. Feels so good to be proud of a staff (even tho it's early) and just overall happy about the university that represents our state. I'm all in on Riley and this staff. Can't wait for the season to begin. Great thread and GBR

Notes:

- Milt Tenopir watched todays practice while visiting with Dean Steinkuhler.

- Alonzo Moore flashed with a big time over the shoulder, one handed catch.

- Coaches are dissecting every throw the QBs make, commenting after each throw.

- Tommy and Stanton were in the same grouping today on the read team.

- Word is, Tommy had a good day throwing against the air as Riley calls it. But this is a 2 man race.

Notes:

- Milt Tenopir watched todays practice while visiting with Dean Steinkuhler.

- Alonzo Moore flashed with a big time over the shoulder, one handed catch.

- Coaches are dissecting every throw the QBs make, commenting after each throw.

- Tommy and Stanton were in the same grouping today on the read team.

- Word is, Tommy had a good day throwing against the air as Riley calls it. But this is a 2 man race.

per Sam McKewon: "Tommy looked pretty good. So did AJ Bush with second group. Riley praised Bush's ability to adjust on progressions."

link

Thanks Tim! Lots of good info from Severe. Now following.
Thanks for this thread jeans. Lots of good info. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
jeans, there's some good stuff on Twitter from Mike'l Severe. @mikelsevere
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Thanks for the heads up...I'm at work now, when I get off work I can be more detailed.

Notes:

- Per Sam Mckewon

- Nebraska quarterbacks did use a huddle, but they got the plays from a microphone inside their helmets. Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf would speak the play into a walkie-talkie, the quarterback would hear it, call the play in a huddle, and proceed to the line of scrimmage.

-The linebackers - especially Banderas, Rose-Ivey and Newby - got a lot of work Saturday. That trio worked double the individual periods on day one just to get more repetitions, and Nebraska defensive coordinator Mark Banker is committed to keeping a linebacker (usually Newby) as a cover guy when a team puts a slot receiver on the field.

- Riley has been quoted stating that he is not concerned about a depth chart until fall camp. But he likes the way AJ Bush responds to coaching.

- Nice of Charlton Warren to send a tweet to his former DBs at Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT