ADVERTISEMENT

SPRING CAMP: DAY 8

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 7

Originally posted by balsy:
LeRoy alexander, is he not the best safety on the team? He's running with the second team...I dont get that. Maybe, my memory is shot, but I thought that guy was a dude back there.
Guy also hasn't played in quite a while, and we have quite a bit of talent in the secondary. I don't know if he's the best safety on the team, Gerry made pretty good strides while he was gone last year being a ball hawk.

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 2

Originally posted by jflores:
Originally posted by bigboxes:
Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:Can someone down in Lincoln tell them, including Rose-Ivey, about the real tradition? It is handed out for first team players. This concept of you have to earn it during the season...you have to have the right mentality to get one...is all wrong for the tradition. First team defense gets blackshirts...period.
Totally agree. You "earn" the blackshirt by making first string. You "keep" the blackshirt by being better than anyone else at your position. The tradition is that the blackshirts are handed out to the first team "starters" players. Period. You want to return the blackshirts to something of pride then stop giving up 70 points and 700 yards to Wisconsin. It's that simple.

This post was edited on 3/11 10:41 PM by bigboxes
Unless you were McKeon on a Cosgrove defense. We wanted all those guys held to a performance standard and to hand theirs back in. Whether they were 1st team or not.

Edit: I even believe such Blackshirt traditionalists as JP55 called for this, having been a "real" Blackshirt.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:40 PM by jflores
No...plenty of us were never a part of this "we." The way you lose your blackshirt by farting around is to have the next guy step into your spot as the starter. That is true motivation...not some supposed aura that the blackshirt provides.

Originally posted by jeans15:

Originally posted by balsy:
LeRoy alexander, is he not the best safety on the team? He's running with the second team...I dont get that. Maybe, my memory is shot, but I thought that guy was a dude back there.
Maybe they like the coverage skills Cockrell has at the safety position.
Its 2 fold:

1. Cockrell is a good football player and played extensive minutes last season.
2. LeRoy is being challenged to improve his work in the class room. The Coaches want him to make school a priority. I don;t believe they will let him crack the starting lineup until he reaches a certain academic expectation.

Quite frankly, Nebraska is very fortunate to have that type of depth.

Article by Eric Olsen,

The passing game needs polish. Riley said the quarterbacks need to complete a higher percentage and cut down on interceptions.

"We've got a lot to learn - if we're going to do more drop-back passing - about reading coverages and knowing where to go with the football faster," Riley said. "They have to see it quicker and get the ball out faster. Otherwise, we're going to get sacked a lot."

Presumptive starter Tommy Armstrong Jr. stood on the sideline for Wednesday's practice because of tightness and spasms in his lower back.

Armstrong said he and the other quarterbacks are struggling with interceptions because they tend to fall into habits learned in the offensive system under the previous coaching staff. He said he was accustomed to receivers adjusting their routes certain ways depending on the coverage.

Pierson-El said new route adjustments will be learned once the players delve more deeply into Riley's offense.

Until then, Armstrong said, "When we call one play, that's what the play is going to be."

Even things that would be considered simple, like quarterback cadence and calling plays in a huddle, must be learned. In the past, quarterbacks signaled for snaps by clapping, and the Huskers called plays at the line of scrimmage.

"It's not hard for me because I've just got to stand back and let those guys form a huddle, get the play in and let them know what it is," Armstrong said. "Certain guys on the team needed to get used to running back and getting into a huddle rather than running back and getting on the line. It's nothing major for us. Just have to get used to it."

Originally posted by jeans15:

Armstrong said he and the other quarterbacks are struggling with interceptions because they tend to fall into habits learned in the offensive system under the previous coaching staff. He said he was accustomed to receivers adjusting their routes certain ways depending on the coverage.
I laughed when I first read that. Sounds like the previous coaching staff taught him to throw interceptions, which I am sure was not what was meant.

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:
Are they still running two practice sessions?
They have been practicing as a group of late.

ADVERTISEMENT