ADVERTISEMENT

Sports illustrated is on the ropes

drubendall

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004

I used to subscribe quite a bit in junior high in high school. It was fun getting that rag in the mail every week.

But, I haven’t looked at it in over 20 years, so this comes as no shocker. Kind of sad as it was the premium sports news source of the day.

I used to subscribe quite a bit in junior high in high school. It was fun getting that rag in the mail every week.

But, I haven’t looked at it in over 20 years, so this comes as no shocker. Kind of sad as it was the premium sports news source of the day.
I haven’t looked at one for probably 20 years.

I saw a few of their tweets from 2014 where they were telling others to "learn to code". Well ...
Sports-Illustrated-640x480-1-640x480.jpg

Last edited:
Inside Sports, The Sporting News, SI...

They all thought they were too big to ever die out so they never really "got with the times"

USA Today and your local paper are not far behind.

I used to LOVE getting the Sunday paper, huge cup of coffee and some donuts. I can't remember the last time I bought the paper.

They all thought they were too big to ever die out so they never really "got with the times"

I used to LOVE getting the Sunday paper, huge cup of coffee and some donuts. I can't remember the last time I bought the paper.
An era is ending. I still prefer a magazine to reading off my phone. But now I am down to two magazines after a few others died off. I would still get the local newspaper in physical form if they hadn't jacked up the price so much. It used to be such a big deal to get on the cover of Sports Illustrated. And I would read about a variety of sports just because they were in the magazine. SI did actual journalism too. It was about quality and accuracy rather than clicks. More and more web stories these days are AI garbage.

I wouldn't click on a Breitbart link if you held a gun to my head, but according to what I read this is based on a licensing dispute between the publisher and the owner of the brand. Print is definitely dead, but I doubt the SI brand is dead once this business negotiation/dispute is resolved.

I wouldn't click on a Breitbart link if you held a gun to my head, but according to what I read this is based on a licensing dispute between the publisher and the owner of the brand. Print is definitely dead, but I doubt the SI brand is dead once this business negotiation/dispute is resolved.
So weird.

Even on the most libtarded npr links you can wade through the spin.

Another end of an era. Man, SI was at the top of the sports game back in the day. Every SI cover mattered. Framed many. I also loved the sporting news as well. Still have some SI’s, Sporting News, Becketts and such in the garage somewhere.

I saw a few of their tweets from 2014 where they were telling others to "learn to code". Well ...
Sports-Illustrated-640x480-1-640x480.jpg
One of her legs weighs more than my Greta

Another end of an era. Man, SI was at the top of the sports game back in the day. Every SI cover mattered. Framed many. I also loved the sporting news as well. Still have some SI’s, Sporting News, Becketts and such in the garage somewhere.
Threw a bunch away just last fall.

There also was a scandal were they were trying to use AI for all their articles using fake authors. I remember back in the 90’ I looked forward to SI and the USA today Sunday Newspaper.

Reactions: Champ_Kind_whammy

How old are you? Based on your posts, I thought you were in your 20’s.

Greta-Thunberg-how-dare-you.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cruelhalo
I cant speak for others, but for me SI just got way too political and liberal.

I used to read it religiously as a kid. Dad got it at the office and would bring them home for me to read. I became an adult and got the subscription each year from my mom.

Then they started to go south. I cant remember if it was an article drooling over obama or hating over trump that did it, but I realized it just wasnt fun reading them anymore and they didnt bring enjoyment since they were so interjected with politics. I stopped subscribing and havent read one since, although I have read some old ones I kept.

For me its not about print. I still subscribe to and read two magazines and one paper, along with a quarterly print publication.

SI just plain went wayy south. Judging by the pics in this it has only got worse.

G

Greta looks like an Ewok in that hoodie

Reactions: Laner2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT