ADVERTISEMENT

Sports illustrated is on the ropes

One of her legs weighs more than my Greta

One of her legs weighs more than all of Scope's spreadsheets.

RIP SI

99f069fa9ebea872d108904886bac7846f7c5d22.png

Reactions: FissionReaction
I remember paying for my own SI subscription in high school and college. $10/month was a luxury I chose to spend on it. Loved getting it in the mail.

Still remember Robert Randa long jump numbers in the special spotlight selection. I couldn’t believe it. A kid from Nebraska high school in SI and we were about the same age.

Fond memories. Sad my kids won’t ever have something like that.

I still have several copies of SI's with Huskers on the covers from the 80s and 90s that I have kept for decades. A different time for sports journalism and Husker football.
I had a buddy in the service buy me a subscription in about 1972 when NU was on the cover after pounding Bama and then when they beat Notre Dame. I had the one with Hank Aaron in about 72 or 73 when he hit 715 off of Al Downing.

My son had taken many of the covers off the magazine and had them pinned on his wall in his bedroom. Along with a huge poster of Al Pacino in Scarface and of course Mike Tyson. Took a whole damn can of spackle to fill in the holes before we could paint. Now, he tells his boys, nothing goes on the walls. I told him he's a hypocrit. LOL

I know when I left the military I got rid of the prescription because it was nothing but ads, and less and less content.
Like all guys, I loved that swimsuit edition.

Reactions: drubendall
I cant speak for others, but for me SI just got way too political and liberal.

I used to read it religiously as a kid. Dad got it at the office and would bring them home for me to read. I became an adult and got the subscription each year from my mom.

Then they started to go south. I cant remember if it was an article drooling over obama or hating over trump that did it, but I realized it just wasnt fun reading them anymore and they didnt bring enjoyment since they were so interjected with politics. I stopped subscribing and havent read one since, although I have read some old ones I kept.

For me its not about print. I still subscribe to and read two magazines and one paper, along with a quarterly print publication.

SI just plain went wayy south. Judging by the pics in this it has only got worse.

Exactly this. I put up with some of their political crap for a while because it's journalism and it's pretty hard to avoid that stuff anymore. And, although print was clearly dying and I hadn't read an actual physical copy in probably 20 years, I still appreciated their online content. As recently as just a few years ago, SI had some amazing sports stories that were superior to anything other sports media outlets were churning out. Then they just started swinging things waaaaaay too far into the political segment in the last couple years. Plus I haven't seen any of those masterful journalistic pieces from them lately.

Naming Deion Sanders the "sportman of the year" kind of tells you everything you need to know. I like Deion, but sportsman of the year? Come on. That was either politically driven or solely to generate traffic or both. Either way...any shred of credibility they had left went out the window.

Those private equity guys do ruin a lot of shit.
The swimsuit issue illustrates the attitude. Putting bald women, women with vitiligo, women in burkas and athletes in that issue is different, but kind of cool. Putting women who are so large they can’t get health insurance, or women that used to be men is saying F—k You to 99% of their audience.

The swimsuit issue illustrates the attitude. Putting bald women, women with vitiligo, women in burkas and athletes in that issue is different, but kind of cool. Putting women who are so large they can’t get health insurance, or women that used to be men is saying F—k You to 99% of their audience.

It's mind-boggling to me how many companies continually do that type of stuff. Even if it's only 50% of your audience...what are you thinking? Lot of stupid decisions made over the last few years when people can't separate business from politics.

It's mind-boggling to me how many companies continually do that type of stuff. Even if it's only 50% of your audience...what are you thinking? Lot of stupid decisions made over the last few years when people can't separate business from politics.
The target stuff doesn’t bother me that much, though some of the Christmas decorations were odd. They are selling to a broad audience that includes gays. The SI swimsuit issue stuff is like telling Eskimos your providing more air conditioners for them to buy, while making heaters less available-total BS.

Unfortunately the morons who make those decisions walk away with millions in severance and the people who need the jobs to survive and have no dog in the "wokeness" hunt get nothing except a final paycheck. Bed Bath and Beyond CEO Mark Tritton got $6.76 million severance when he was fired in 2022 for running that company into the ground. The people who worked at the 1,142 stores that closed were f%^&ed.

Unfortunately the morons who make those decisions walk away with millions in severance and the people who need the jobs to survive and have no dog in the "wokeness" hunt get nothing except a final paycheck. Bed Bath and Beyond CEO Mark Tritton got $6.76 million severance when he was fired in 2022 for running that company into the ground. The people who worked at the 1,142 stores that closed were f%^&ed.
Same thing has happened with multiple ceos that destroy companies- they always get a golden parachute while all the folks who do the day to day stuff get the shaft

Bed bath and beyond went under because of "wokeness"? I just figured everyone had already furnished their house with dishes and towels using the coupon and there were no new customers to be found.
Its now a catch all blanket term thats been co-opted to cover anything a certain % of the population doesnt like. Its lost all original meaning

Last edited:
Reactions: ExcellentBread
Not completely justifying the huge golden parachutes. But there is a tremendous amount of sacrifice that comes with roles like this along their career path. Much of the upheaval is the different moves someone needs to take their family through. These roles are not unlike the sacrifices head coaches make on their journey also. As with anything people look at the final paychecks but don’t always account for the hours, stress and moves that happened along the way.

Not completely justifying the huge golden parachutes. But there is a tremendous amount of sacrifice that comes with roles like this along their career path. Much of the upheaval is the different moves someone needs to take their family through. These roles are not unlike the sacrifices head coaches make on their journey also. As with anything people look at the final paychecks but don’t always account for the hours, stress and moves that happened along the way.
We probably should save the compassion for people who don't own luxury homes in the Caribbean as a result of being a bad CEO.

SI is a dinosaur. It was great back in the day of print media dominating the landscape. But it has not survived the internet age. Now it is just one more site where we can go to get sports information. And it is not particularly better or worse than any of them.

We probably should save the compassion for people who don't own luxury homes in the Caribbean as a result of being a bad CEO.
My point was most people don’t know the sacrifices people make to get to that level. Them and their families. It’s not all roses on the way up. Once you get there the payoff is massive but a lot of people don’t reach those heights even if they do the grind.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Its now a catch all blanket term thats been co-opted to cover anything a certain % of the population doesnt like. Its lost all original meaning
What did "woke" mean originally? In this case it wasn't that bb&b stopped carrying My Pillows, Kohls, Target and Walmart quietly did to. It was the way they did it. The got on a soapbox in the press about Lindell doing an election "denier". It caused a company already on the brink to lose a huge amount of sales and put them over the edge. BTW another segment of society uses the term "denier" to shut down any views they don't agree with.

What did "woke" mean originally? In this case it wasn't that bb&b stopped carrying My Pillows, Kohls, Target and Walmart quietly did to. It was the way they did it. The got on a soapbox in the press about Lindell doing an election "denier". It caused a company already on the brink to lose a huge amount of sales and put them over the edge. BTW another segment of society uses the term "denier" to shut down any views they don't agree with.
Essentially today it meant to be socially aware or to pay attention/be aware of your surroundings. It started as AAVE so the last thing as a white guy I would do is try to really use it in any capacity. It's not really my word to use. I realize words have no owners but I'll sit that one out in general.

Reactions: Landomatic
"but a lot of people don’t reach those heights even if they do the grind."
Listen, I'm not attacking you. I think you're doing a "contrarian" thing, letting people know there are two sides to a story. I get it.
Reminding people that CEOs work hard should be 972 on our list of things to remind people about.
The last part of your post is what deserves attention.
CEO compensation has increased at a much faster pace than non-CEO pay over the last several decades. This has been happening at the same time American companies are failing to compete or even demonstrate common sense.
Let's just admit we have a different a priority list and leave it at that.

Reactions: Streamer15
Essentially today it meant to be socially aware or to pay attention/be aware of your surroundings. It started as AAVE so the last thing as a white guy I would do is try to really use it in any capacity. It's not really my word to use. I realize words have no owners but I'll sit that one out in general.
Well, I learn something new every day. After your post I researched the word woke and it was all very educational.

Reactions: Landomatic
I remember Keyshawn Jr once tweeted that Lincoln was ‘woke.’ First time I ever heard the term. At that time it was used by the left.

Bed bath and beyond went under because of "wokeness"? I just figured everyone had already furnished their house with dishes and towels using the coupon and there were no new customers to be found.
Well, nothing really unique about that store. You can get everything cheaper elsewhere.

BTW another segment of society uses the term "denier" to shut down any views they don't agree with.

We have a large segment of the "denier" society on here when it comes to Husker football. Ironically, many of those same posters seem to be, shall we say "conservative", when it comes to their other views outside of being a Nebraska football fan. Yeah, they don't tend to like it when you point that out to them.

CEO compensation has increased at a much faster pace than non-CEO pay over the last several decades. This has been happening at the same time American companies are failing to compete or even demonstrate common sense.

Sounds a lot like a head coaching job. Is it possible those are really challenging, demanding, high-stress jobs to fill with qualified candidates and the market is driving the compensation rates?

Reactions: RBigredMax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT