ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Cards. What is your best card and story?? And Do you Grade??? Need some serious advice.

superman787

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2004
Hello my Husker Board Friends!!!

Long story short. I am 49 years old, I have lived through the junk era .
Over years I have picked cards. We have owned a storage unit for 15 years. No Shit, half of that storage unit is cards I bought at garage sales over the years, pissed the wife off something fierce!! lol

Life happened. Kid, Wife, Job, and build a Home. Put It On Ice
Anyways we just finished up our edition.

Every Night since Feb I have been purging cards. (The Junk Era Crushes My Soul)

I cry every night....I have books and books of Mike Geenwell's, Jose Canseco, and Ken Griffey Jr's. That was going to be my retirement, lol. Not worth hardly anything now.

I have held on to everything.

Fast forward 15 years.

I AM PURGING. Need to clear the storage unit and half is my Star Wars and Baseball Cards.

I am going through my old cards and crying in my soul because I know my massive collection is worthless. It can be "Soul Breaking!!! I shit you not, LOL!!! Damn You Jose Canseco!!!

Now on to the garage sale bulk totes. Been going though since Feb....Eight totes.

NEVER LEAVE A STONE UNTURNED

I found in the commons.....

Michael Jordan 2001 Topps Chrome Black Refractor

GOOGLE IT

Wait for it.....#1 of 50. Yep.

I took it to the card show in Grand Island last weekend to test the response. You would have thought I was Taylor Swift walking into a room of 15 year old girls. Everybody at the show had to check it out. (Between us. It was the coolest moment of My Life)

I am not making this up guys. I have not slept two weeks. Kinda Freaking out. lol

It is in a safety despot box, now I need figure out how to get a card graded. Any advice would be awesome.

PSA for Grading??

Go Huskers!!

Last edited:
Haha. I do still have a Jordan rookie year Starting Lineup. $40.
I "had" a Barry Sanders SCORE rookie card, I think it is worth over 1000 now...My brother gave it to his kids and they sold it. haha. I never even knew until a a few years ago when I told his kids "Hey, I have some cards in the basement over there, go take a look see what you want" and they looked at me with this guilty look on their faces.

Then my brother was like "Oh yeah, we took those from the basement a few years ago" hahaha

On the same topic, but a lot different. I have a shitload of baseball and football cards from the mid-70's to the late 90's before I gave it up. Used to use Beckett to see their worth, now I just want them gone as they take up space. Has anyone sold cards recently? I just want to dump about 15 shoes boxes and books worth of cards.

OP -

Yes get it graded by PSA or Becket Grading services. If it’s a 9 or above your load in your pants will be worth it. If it’s 7 or below you washed your pants 3 times for little reason.

A word of advice - I have a feeling you are going to tell this story A LOT and your wife will be wanting to find a tall building after the 100th telling. Find a way to make it more concise. No one cares about Jose Canseco.

Last - awesome find - couldn’t imagine pulling a card like that out of the commons - excited for you and good luck with the grading. But temper expectations if there is a slight defect those bastards will find it and don’t get hyped for what you see selling that are a grade 10 in PSA because a 10 is really tough to get. Know there is a huge difference between 9-10 value wise. Keep us posted on how it grades out.

PSA is the only company you should use. Beckett is dead, SGC just got bought by PSA and cards in their slabs in the same grade always sell for less. CGC is the new kid on the block but still not up there with PSA.

On the same topic, but a lot different. I have a shitload of baseball and football cards from the mid-70's to the late 90's before I gave it up. Used to use Beckett to see their worth, now I just want them gone as they take up space. Has anyone sold cards recently? I just want to dump about 15 shoes boxes and books worth of cards.
Any of the big rookies like 1976 Walter Payton, 1975 George Brett, 1980 Rickey Henderson, etc?

PSA is the only company you should use. Beckett is dead, SGC just got bought by PSA and cards in their slabs in the same grade always sell for less. CGC is the new kid on the block but still not up there with PSA.
Is Beckett not around anymore at all?

1 Brett, 1 Nolan Ryan Rookie - I think I have a couple of Barry Sanders as well. Need to go through them.
Numerous: Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Kirby Puckett, Cal Ripken, Frank Thomas etc.

I haven't even thought about baseball and football cards for like 25 years until my parents cleaned out their house and brought them too me. No idea what they are actually worth these days. More curious if people just buy everything.

Reactions: superman787
1 Brett, 1 Nolan Ryan Rookie - I think I have a couple of Barry Sanders as well. Need to go through them.
Numerous: Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Kirby Puckett, Cal Ripken, Frank Thomas etc.

I haven't even thought about baseball and football cards for like 25 years until my parents cleaned out their house and brought them too me. No idea what they are actually worth these days. More curious if people just buy everything.
Condition on the Ryan rookie can be the difference between $300 and $10,000.

I once gifted a Thurman Munson Rookie of the Year card, which was said to be worth about $35, to a friend of a friend who lives in New York and is a huge Yankees fan. I didn't know it when I offered the card, but it turned out Munson was his elderly father's all-time favorite player, so he had the card framed and gave it to him for his birthday.

While that in itself was very gratifying, the family owns a super-high-end meat business and they sent my an 8-pack of Prime ribeyes as a thank-you. Best baseball card trade I ever made, by a long shot.

i sold all of my sports cards for $5 here in Lincoln probably about a year ago.

sold most of my Pokemon cards (i got thousands for those).

still have my MTG collection though.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I have thousands and thousands of baseball cards too many to count. I do have EVERY YANKEE topps baseball card ext 3 which are 3 Mantles first 3 years Topps made them. My son will probably sell them for a couple hundred bucks when I am gone

I have thousands and thousands of baseball cards too many to count. I do have EVERY YANKEE topps baseball card ext 3 which are 3 Mantles first 3 years Topps made them. My son will probably sell them for a couple hundred bucks when I am gone

This is why I am going through all of my cards. Knock on wood, but if something were to happen to me, I want to make sure the wife and daughter know what they have and not to sell it for pennies.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Full Disclaimer.....I am old....

I discovered baseball cards when I was 8, when an older friend of our family (14 or 15 and a really good player)showed me his collection which was voluminous (over 3,000) sorted(by team) and in great neat order(I found from him that the extras of Smoky Burgess were the ones you put in your spokes!) I WAS HOOKED!!! I started using my money from allowance(a quarter a week...part went to the collection plate, some to savings) to buy nickel packs of TOPPS....NEVER FLEER, or DONRUSS, but I DID cut out the cards from cereal boxes....

Two things...I quickly grew my collection, I traded with friends all the time, and THEN....on what might have been the best day of my life at that time...my older friend gifted me his collection!!! In it were a raft of cards from the early 50s, including rookie cards of all the greats....it was a great collection!

As I got older and social issues grew, my collection fell unused to a corner of my closet...until one day, when I was in college my mom took it upon herself to give my collection away without my permission,,,,,

It was her only mistake in an otherwise perfect run of being a parent....

Nice hit bro. Makes me wanna go through all my sports cards .. if my parents didn’t trash them haha
Did they admit they tossed them or did they make a lame excuse?

I guess years ago, after I moved out, there was a "flood" in the basement and apparently the water ONLY got to my albums, that is not, nothing else was damaged! Haha...

So because my parents are so kind, they tossed them out for me.

This is why I am going through all of my cards. Knock on wood, but if something were to happen to me, I want to make sure the wife and daughter know what they have and not to sell it for pennies.
If you tell them and THEN something happens to you, we'll know the card was really valuable. 😎

Full Disclaimer.....I am old....

I discovered baseball cards when I was 8, when an older friend of our family (14 or 15 and a really good player)showed me his collection which was voluminous (over 3,000) sorted(by team) and in great neat order(I found from him that the extras of Smoky Burgess were the ones you put in your spokes!) I WAS HOOKED!!! I started using my money from allowance(a quarter a week...part went to the collection plate, some to savings) to buy nickel packs of TOPPS....NEVER FLEER, or DONRUSS, but I DID cut out the cards from cereal boxes....

Two things...I quickly grew my collection, I traded with friends all the time, and THEN....on what might have been the best day of my life at that time...my older friend gifted me his collection!!! In it were a raft of cards from the early 50s, including rookie cards of all the greats....it was a great collection!

As I got older and social issues grew, my collection fell unused to a corner of my closet...until one day, when I was in college my mom took it upon herself to give my collection away without my permission,,,,,

It was her only mistake in an otherwise perfect run of being a parent....
I've heard this story so many times. My grandma did that to my dad. My dad talks about all of his baseball cards and their worth. Had all kinds of crazy cards that were passed down from his dad and grandpa and when he went to the Army, my grandma got rid of all them. He still is pissed to this day. Had some of the rarest of the rare.

I've heard this story so many times. My grandma did that to my dad. My dad talks about all of his baseball cards and their worth. Had all kinds of crazy cards that were passed down from his dad and grandpa and when he went to the Army, my grandma got rid of all them. He still is pissed to this day. Had some of the rarest of the rare.
Moms have this addiction to throwing things out, it really is amazing.

Cards, Albums, Shirts, Toys, Sporting equipment.

My mom tossed out my hockey stick, now with that said, I was no longer playing and had moved out but it is a hockey stick, it literally takes up no room in the garage, none at all. You could argue that it clearly more work to find it, take it from the spot it was in and try to fit it in the trash then it would be to just leave it in the corner of the garage.

Reactions: dpnavy
My grandma threw out my dad's cards from back in the day. Which was somewhat understandable except for all the shit they refused to throw away on the farm. A couple hundred baseball cards was where the line was drawn I guess.

Did they admit they tossed them or did they make a lame excuse?

I guess years ago, after I moved out, there was a "flood" in the basement and apparently the water ONLY got to my albums, that is not, nothing else was damaged! Haha...

So because my parents are so kind, they tossed them out for me.
Not sure if they trashed them or not. Haven’t even looked for them in like 15 years or so. Hoping they are stashed away in my childhood closet along with my old playboys

Moms have this addiction to throwing things out, it really is amazing.

Cards, Albums, Shirts, Toys, Sporting equipment.

My mom tossed out my hockey stick, now with that said, I was no longer playing and had moved out but it is a hockey stick, it literally takes up no room in the garage, none at all. You could argue that it clearly more work to find it, take it from the spot it was in and try to fit it in the trash then it would be to just leave it in the corner of the garage.
Had to make room for that stack of empty Cool Whip containers.

Over years I have picked cards. We have owned a storage unit for 15 years. No Shit, half of that storage unit is cards I bought at garage sales over the years, pissed the wife off something fierce!! lol

I cry every night....I have books and books of Mike Geenwell's, Jose Canseco, and Ken Griffey Jr's. That was going to be my retirement, lol. Not worth hardly anything now.

Fast forward 15 years.

I AM PURGING. Need to clear the storage unit and half is my Star Wars and Baseball Cards.

I am going through my old cards and crying in my soul because I know my massive collection is worthless. It can be "Soul Breaking!!! I shit you not, LOL!!! Damn You Jose Canseco!!!

Now on to the garage sale bulk totes. Been going though since Feb....Eight totes.

GOOGLE IT

I took it to the card show in Grand Island last weekend to test the response. You would have thought I was Taylor Swift walking into a room of 15 year old girls. Everybody at the show had to check it out. (Between us. It was the coolest moment of My Life)

I am not making this up guys. I have not slept two weeks. Kinda Freaking out. lol

It is in a safety despot box, now I need figure out how to get a card graded. Any advice would be awesome.

PSA for Grading??

Go Huskers!!
Never did sports cards, but have had a fascination with coins since I was 7.

They are both widely traded collectible commodities. The key is in grading. Your card is worth be g graded regardless how it turns out.

eBay is a great source to find value of both collector coins, and sports cards.

Type in what you have, and see what it is selling for right now.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Fast forward 15 years.

GOOGLE IT

PSA for Grading??

Go Huskers!!
Someone should have told this guy about Bitcoin.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
I have a Magic/Bird/Dr J card, second year Gretzky, Rickey Henderson rookie, many others too mostly probably just a few bucks each. Only a handful of the newer cards are graded and I haven’t bought any in 20+ years.
My daughters couldn’t care less about stupid sports cards so I guess one day I’ll sell them. I suppose I need to actually carefully go through them and take out the valuable ones.

I do also have some old coins, Buffalo nickel, war Pennies moon landing coin.. not sure what they are worth.
The above were from my parents… I ain’t that fookin old yet… ;)

Also have some old currency, a few horse blanket pre 1923 notes… not much though… 1899 $1 eagle, 1914 $10, 1907 $5 woodchopper etc

So many hours wasted yet I loved it back then.

I probably tossed thousands of dollars in cards in favor of that lame, flat, piece of gum. It tasted ok for a split second so I've got those memories.

Me and a friend, years ago, got a table at a baseball card show. It was fun, I have no idea if those are still popular or not but back then it was cool for us. I don't think I sold much, it was hard to let any of my cards go.

Me and a friend, years ago, got a table at a baseball card show. It was fun, I have no idea if those are still popular or not but back then it was cool for us. I don't think I sold much, it was hard to let any of my cards go.
Omaha has a monthly card show and Lincoln has a quarterly show. Both are very well attended. There's a really big show coming up this Summer in Council Bluffs a week before the National. Card shows are way more popular today than they were even in the "junk era" of the late 80s to early 90s.

Reactions: BTF69
Omaha has a monthly card show and Lincoln has a quarterly show. Both are very well attended. There's a really big show coming up this Summer in Council Bluffs a week before the National. Card shows today are way more popular today than they were even in the "junk era" of the late 80s to early 90s.
Back in the day, it was really sort of casual? I guess?

Basically seemed like a garage sale but inside a hotel convention center? I am sure you know what I mean. It seemed more about seeing other cards and less about selling them?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT