ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your best/favorite sports card

RBigredMax

Senior
Mar 23, 2023
We were shopping today and came upon a sports card show. Took me back to my youth a little (no longer collect). Curious if you still have any cards and what your favorite might be.

I have a Joe Montana rookie I saved forever for when I was young - had it graded and it was an 8.5.

Michael Jordan Beam Team from Stadiun Club that graded at a 9.5. Wasn’t my most favorite but became my most valuable after grading.

i sold off all my sports cards fairly recently, as well as most of my Pokemon cards. i got $5 for the sports cards and almost 4k for the pokemon.

i still have my Magic the Gathering cards, those are my most valuable.

My son collects Pokémon cards - that must have been quite the collection!

it was basically all sealed product from 2015 to present, minus the scarlet and violet set, i kept those because i wouldn't have made anything off of them.

My 62 Topps Yogi Berra card. (His 61 season) It was the FIRST superstar I pulled out of a 5 card pack. Has been always will be my favorite all time fav. I got a 62 Maris and Mantle within my next 6 5-packs I got. Pretty much tells my age don't it?
I have a number of Mickey Mantle cards:
1954 Bowman (EX)
1955 Bowman (VG)
1956 Topps (Poor)
1957 Topps (VG-EX)
1958 (VG)
1959 (VG-EX)
1960 (EX)
1961 (EX)
1962 (VG)
1963 (VG)
1965 (VG-EX)

I also have Jim Brown and John Unitas rookie cards, both (EX).

We were shopping today and came upon a sports card show. Took me back to my youth a little (no longer collect). Curious if you still have any cards and what your favorite might be.

I have a Joe Montana rookie I saved forever for when I was young - had it graded and it was an 8.5.

Michael Jordan Beam Team from Stadiun Club that graded at a 9.5. Wasn’t my most favorite but became my most valuable after grading.

51SONIBwMwL._AC_.jpg

Years ago me and a friend got a table at a card show, for free, the dudes putting on the show had a few spaces left and hooked us up.

I remember laying out all my cards that I was going to sell...and then not being able to sell any of them because I was too attached to them.

I have a number of Mickey Mantle cards:
1954 Bowman (EX)
1955 Bowman (VG)
1956 Topps (Poor)
1957 Topps (VG-EX)
1958 (VG)
1959 (VG-EX)
1960 (EX)
1961 (EX)
1962 (VG)
1963 (VG)
1965 (VG-EX)

I also have Jim Brown and John Unitas rookie cards, both (EX).
Have you ever thought of professionally grading some of your cars with a reputable company? Amazing the difference in value you may have for some of those older cards!

Reactions: mikecanale

Ozzie Smith RC. Sold my collection long ago, but kept that and a few others.

That was such a classic at the time!
Back in the 80's when Jose Canseco did the 40-40 thing, my son had to have that card. So I scouted around and found one in perfect condition for $ 80.00. It was for Christmas, so, oh well.

So I show the card to my brother-in-law and then my 6 year old nephew wants to see it. After a minute he just crumbles it up in his hand. So the next day my b-i-t is out scouting another one. Finds it for $ 80.00.

I still have it in my file, cost me $ 160.00 and I think it's worth about fitty cents. Anybody want to buy a Jose Canseco card? lol

Last edited:
I have quite a few cards from the 80s, but really none are graded. Best card is a Bird/Magic/Erving card. I really should sell them and let someone enjoy them.

Johnny Unitas, 1967

Reactions: RBigredMax
My collection is mostly 89'-91' Fleer, Topps, and Donruss cards. Last I checked there isn't much value in those sets but if that has changed, let me know what cards to look for. I looked up some of my cards in a price guide years ago. My most valuable card was a disc shaped Nolan Ryan card that I got out of a beef jerky chew container. It's not worth a whole lot but I guess that would be my favorite.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
My collection is mostly 89'-91' Fleer, Topps, and Donruss cards. Last I checked there isn't much value in those sets but if that has changed, let me know what cards to look for. I looked up some of my cards in a price guide years ago. My most valuable card was a disc shaped Nolan Ryan card that I got out of a beef jerky chew container. It's not worth a whole lot but I guess that would be my favorite.
Are you close to 42 in age? That was my years of collecting. Basically stopped as a kiddo in ‘92 but man those Topps Stadium Club cards were beautiful. First to use Kodak

Are you close to 42 in age? That was my years of collecting. Basically stopped as a kiddo in ‘92 but man those Topps Stadium Club cards were beautiful. First to use Kodak
Agree - stadium club was a game changer. They looked awesome - upper deck’s first year when they had the small hologram emblem too.

Reactions: dpnavy and c3o
Another question...can you remember when/why you stopped?

I was obsessed with cards, there was a little shop near my house "Extra Innings" it was the size of a garage and the two "old guys" (they were probably 30) seemed like coolest dudes ever.

Me and my friends rode our bikes there everyday. I think it was closed on Sunday which was a total bummer.

Then one day I just stopped. I don't know why or what changed but I just stopped.

That card shop isn't there anymore, it has been gone for probably 30 years.

Yes I am. I stopped in 92' also. I don't have my entire collection anymore. I think I kept some favorites and gave away the rest.

Reactions: c3o
A few years ago I found an old Thurman Munson Rookie of the Year card that I got when I was a kid. It was only valued at about $35, so I didn't feel like going to the trouble to sell it. A friend-of-a-friend in New York is a huge Yankees fan, and I thought he might like it. So I told my friend to offer it to him, if he wanted it.

I get back to my desk and my phone is ringing, and it's the guy in New York. He's practically in tears because Munson was his father's favorite player, and he's going to frame the card and give it to his dad as a birthday gift. So it was nice to make someone's day with a baseball card I didn't care much about anyway.

And oh by the way, that family happens to own a very, very, very high-end meat business in New York. So about a week later I received an 8-pack of Prime ribeyes. Wasn't expecting any reward, but I certainly didn't turn it down.

Yes I am. I stopped in 92' also. I don't have my entire collection anymore. I think I kept some favorites and gave away the rest.
same here, have my entire collection still. We were un-lucky enough to grow up in the most mass produced sports card era of all time. I loved Canseco and Bo Jackson and collected a ton of their cards. Griffey Jr was in there as well, but I never locked down an 89 UpperDeck. I have some decent cards in my collection, but nothing that will ever be worth even grading at this point. If I ever have an extra couple thousand dollars laying around maybe I will send a bunch in to get them graded, but probably wont.

What kills me is my Dad had a shoebox full of cards from the 50s that he used to have growing up. His mom (immigrant, not knowing that they could be worth money) tossed them sometime after he moved out. My mom still lives in the same house and I have always thought maybe Id find them hidden up in the attic or something. so far, no dice!

Reactions: RedSeaPsycho

Fleer Tony Gwynn Rookie Card or Shaq's Upper Deck Rookie

I collected a lot through from early 80’s through early 1990’s but then started driving and dating and money went into gas, movies and clothes instead of cards. Still nostalgic on old cards when I see them and got rid of most of my collection but kept several of my favorite single cards.

I think it’s tough for kids to get into the hobby now because the packs are so expensive and to truly find cards of value you have to get the expensive packs.

I was telling my son a story when I used to buy Fleer 86-87 basketball (Jordan rookie, Olajuwon, Barkley, etc) wax packs for $0.35 a pack at the grocer and I got mad when I showed up one day and they were $0.45! That just made me feel really old saying that :)

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Another question...can you remember when/why you stopped?

I was obsessed with cards, there was a little shop near my house "Extra Innings" it was the size of a garage and the two "old guys" (they were probably 30) seemed like coolest dudes ever.

Me and my friends rode our bikes there everyday. I think it was closed on Sunday which was a total bummer.

Then one day I just stopped. I don't know why or what changed but I just stopped.

That card shop isn't there anymore, it has been gone for probably 30 years.
Girls

It is so true. Basically once I saw a bra...I forgot about sports cards.
Same, your post made me think… why did I quit collecting??

Right around then I started to ride bikes over to the rich girls’ neighborhoods and make out with them and swim

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
I had a Bart Starr and Gale Sayers card along with a handful of others, baseball I had Ferguson Jenkins Carlton Fisk

I've got a John Elway rookie card and a George Brett rookie card...had you told me I would have those in my possession as an adult when I was 10, I would've thought I'd be retired by now :cool:

Such a fun hobby that has unfortunately gone the way of the dinosaur

Reactions: RBigredMax
I've got a John Elway rookie card and a George Brett rookie card...had you told me I would have those in my possession as an adult when I was 10, I would've thought I'd be retired by now :cool:

Such a fun hobby that has unfortunately gone the way of the dinosaur
I blame the next generation and their Pokémon cards

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT