ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Your best/favorite sports card

I have a shoebox full of MLB and NFL cards from the late 70s - early 80s. Where does one go about taking these for valuation/sale?

Look up sports memorabilia stores in your area. I'm not sure many exist anymore. I remember a couple stores in Omaha but I doubt they exist anymore. One was on 50th St just off L Street I think, across from KMart. The other was in the corner of a plaza somewhere but my memory isn't that good. Maybe by Shopko 84th and Center area.

I have many vintage baseball cards. I am currently working on my 1965 Topps baseball set, my favorite old card. Down to only about 40 left out of 598. Near mint value - $8000. Most of mine are ex-mint to near mint. I have been working on it for about 20+ years.

Reactions: RBigredMax
I have many vintage baseball cards. I am currently working on my 1965 Topps baseball set, my favorite old card. Down to only about 40 left out of 598. Near mint value - $8000. Most of mine are ex-mint to near mint. I have been working on it for about 20+ years.
That sounds like an awesome quest! Any particular reason you chose that specific year? Super cool and I’m sure it’s been fun piecing it together over the years!

Reactions: Lincoln gopher
That sounds like an awesome quest! Any particular reason you chose that specific year? Super cool and I’m sure it’s been fun piecing it together over the years!
The card design of the 65 Topps has always been a favorite of mine. The set is absolutely loaded with HOF players.

Reactions: RBigredMax
I've got a John Elway rookie card and a George Brett rookie card...had you told me I would have those in my possession as an adult when I was 10, I would've thought I'd be retired by now :cool:

Such a fun hobby that has unfortunately gone the way of the dinosaur
Ditto on the George Brett rookie card. Also, a few Bo Jackson rookie cards. I have some that my dad had but I'd have to look at who they are. Several aren't in good shape as my brother & I used them in the bicycle spokes when we were young to sound like a motorcycle (or so we thought).

This article kind of shows you where a certain part of the industry is going....kind of miss the old days of buying packs with actual gum in them and smelling those cards for weeks afterwards...

A few years ago I found an old Thurman Munson Rookie of the Year card that I got when I was a kid. It was only valued at about $35, so I didn't feel like going to the trouble to sell it. A friend-of-a-friend in New York is a huge Yankees fan, and I thought he might like it. So I told my friend to offer it to him, if he wanted it.

I get back to my desk and my phone is ringing, and it's the guy in New York. He's practically in tears because Munson was his father's favorite player, and he's going to frame the card and give it to his dad as a birthday gift. So it was nice to make someone's day with a baseball card I didn't care much about anyway.

And oh by the way, that family happens to own a very, very, very high-end meat business in New York. So about a week later I received an 8-pack of Prime ribeyes. Wasn't expecting any reward, but I certainly didn't turn it down.
Very nice story, you really made someone's day! That what's it all about! Have many, many 1959 Topps cards and also all Cal Ripken rookie cards ! Signed 2 baseball by Cal, R & found out later the New Jersey dealer was a CROOK! Ha!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT