ADVERTISEMENT

"Some smoke" - Pelini to Kentucky

You're right.. It had nothing to do with him telling me to kiss his ass and saying that we were lucky to have him. Not to mention whoring himself out every time another HC job came open. Oh and who could forget him badmouthing the program that I love to the players in a "private" meeting AFTER being fired.

Oh and by the way.. I think Wisconsin just scored again.

Yep, I only hated him because he didn't win a national title.
You watch your mouth. Tom Osborne hired him, so none of that matters. He is above reproach. Watch your step young man, when we get the gang back together, Scott Frost will sprinkle fairy dust and we will never lose again.

Would this not be a great thing for the university? Would this not free up all kinds of $ that it is currently paying to Bo? The YSU salary really didn't do much but I think an SEC salary could wipe out the debt we owe Bo, which then could free up money if Mike doesn't improve. Winking

One of the best things going for the old man, is that the university can't afford 3 head coaches on salary for the football team. If we get rid of one, now its a different story

Would this not be a great thing for the university? Would this not free up all kinds of $ that it is currently paying to Bo? The YSU salary really didn't do much but I think an SEC salary could wipe out the debt we owe Bo, which then could free up money if Mike doesn't improve. Winking
I actually just thought of this as well, that someone would see the potential for a quicker road to getting rid of our current coaching staff... Sigh.

I do see the winking face, so maybe you were joking...

Here's hoping he does. He'd get so profoundly embarrassed in the SEC that we could stop debating whether he's any good just like we have with all the nothing Frank has done at Ohio.

I actually just thought of this as well, that someone would see the potential for a quicker road to getting rid of our current coaching staff... Sigh.

I do see the winking face, so maybe you were joking...

No joke. I am with it 100%. The wink was probably a bad choice.

Reactions: timnsun
Here's hoping he does. He'd get so profoundly embarrassed in the SEC that we could stop debating whether he's any good just like we have with all the nothing Frank has done at Ohio.
Seriously? Frank is 80-60 there and took a team that had losing seasons in 23 out of the previous 25 years and has produced .500 or better records in 9 of his last 11 seasons. Have you ever tried to recruit to Athens, Ohio?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
DC at Kentucky is probably similar to HC at YTS in terms of pay. No impact to his monthly payoff.

He did fine as DC at LSU - I think he would be fine. The question is would he abandon Carl and the Husker refugees his has at YTS. Me thinks that is unlikely for the same dough ray me. If Stoops put major $$$$ on the table - Bo might have to do it (to set the stage for high paying DC gig elsewhere). I don't see Stoops having the pull to make that happen.

I think he's done an admiral job there personally, and I think Ohio is really glad he came along. Maybe you didn't realize he went to Ohio and not Ohio State? That's all I can think of based on your comment, and I still think our own AD got rid of him one year to early. He should have been given one more year. What do we always complain about here? Loyalty from our HC to his lousy assistants. Well, Frank was the last coach willing to chop off some heads to improve his product here. Seriously, he was the last freaking one. I think you underestimate him personally.

Seriously? Frank is 80-60 there and took a team that had losing seasons in 23 out of the previous 25 years and has produced .500 or better records in 9 of his last 11 seasons. Have you ever tried to recruit to Athens, Ohio?

Frank put a solid program in place for the MAC - but he is not getting a sniff at a Power 5 job - partly due to age, but mostly because those that make hiring decisions look at how Frank did at Nebraska and realize he can't hack it as a HC at a Power 5 school.

Reactions: 94husker
Frank put a solid program in place for the MAC - but he is not getting a sniff at a Power 5 job - partly due to age, but mostly because those that make hiring decisions look at how Frank did at Nebraska and realize he can't hack it as a HC at a Power 5 school.
Hang out with AD's much? And in those "hangouts" they told you, "Look, no one is going to hire a coach in his 60's but even if Frank were 45 we still wouldn't hire him"?

His resume here is better than any coach we've hired since. What's that say about who we replaced him with?

FYI, I agree an argument could be formulated that a change needed to be made, but I would have given him one more year based on the improvement he showed and willingness to shake things up. YMMV.

Last edited:
99% of Husker fans, even those who now bash Bo the most, were begging Osborne to hire Pelini in 2007. And now they bash Osborne for hiring him. Hindsight is 20/20. We deserve what we got.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I wonder how Courtney Love feels abut this. It has to be like a bad dream for him.

His age has way more to do with this than you care to admit. As a head coach, he took a team to a National Championship game. That means not hacking it? Then he goes to Athens, OH (try to get there... really.) and is very successful. Solich is a hell of a coach. At Nebraska, his problem was that he rose from the rank of assistant and had a bunch of his peers who were a) getting old and b) had a hard time giving Solich the same loyalty they had given to Osborne for 20+ years. He was aware of it and made the necessary moves to shake up the assistant coaching staff - he just happened to have an ass hat of an AD who let him go.

99% of Husker fans, even those who now bash Bo the most, were begging Osborne to hire Pelini in 2007. And now they bash Osborne for hiring him. Hindsight is 20/20. We deserve what we got.

Osborne should have known that Bo wasn't the right guy. A person of his stature should of been able to find out everything he needed to know about that hire.

Where there's smoke there's Carl.
Any sightings?

rst.gif

You're right.. It had nothing to do with him telling me to kiss his ass and saying that we were lucky to have him. Not to mention whoring himself out every time another HC job came open. Oh and who could forget him badmouthing the program that I love to the players in a "private" meeting AFTER being fired.

Oh and by the way.. I think Wisconsin just scored again.

Yep, I only hated him because he didn't win a national title.

So is that why even in the last year when he was getting threats thrown at him, his kids were bullied at school and he knew he was probably out that he went and won 9 lost 3 (two of which you would refer as an almost win this year). Hey, if you don't want Bo to get a head job somewhere else in D1, you are welcome to your opinion. But it will mean about as much as my opinion in the long run.

So is that why even in the last year when he was getting threats thrown at him, his kids were bullied at school and he knew he was probably out that he went and won 9 lost 3 (two of which you would refer as an almost win this year). Hey, if you don't want Bo to get a head job somewhere else in D1, you are welcome to your opinion. But it will mean about as much as my opinion in the long run.
Threats? Lol. His kids were left alone, especially his oldest son. His kids had good friends here. You have been reading too much retard fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
His age has way more to do with this than you care to admit. As a head coach, he took a team to a National Championship game. That means not hacking it? Then he goes to Athens, OH (try to get there... really.) and is very successful. Solich is a hell of a coach. At Nebraska, his problem was that he rose from the rank of assistant and had a bunch of his peers who were a) getting old and b) had a hard time giving Solich the same loyalty they had given to Osborne for 20+ years. He was aware of it and made the necessary moves to shake up the assistant coaching staff - he just happened to have an ass hat of an AD who let him go.

A "hell of a coach" doesn't take over a program that is the premier program in college football at the time and run it in the dirt within a few short years. He should have never got the job, but thanks to Tom, Nebraska didn't have much of a choice.

You're being a douchebag.

Well, I certainly trust your expertise on the matter.

you-alright.gif

What about a guy who wins 57% of games in a garbage conference should impress me? In 10 complete seasons he's won 2 bowl games and finished .500 or worse 4 times. 80-60 in the MAC oh wooooooooowwwwwww. Quick, see if he'll come back to NU!

It's the same conversation all over again about Pelini from people who think the only difference between a middling coach and a champion is waiting 20 years. That same, stupid routine of "This new guy isn't amazing, we should have kept the old guy." Nope. It's an option to say they both suck and neither is gonna win it all.

You tossed him under the bus in this thread when nobody was even talking about him, and since he's had WAAAY more success here than anyone since, it seems strange to me. Conference title, national title game appearance, Heisman winning QB. Good gawd what I'd give to have some of that these last 15+ years. Turns out we didn't get better when we canned him, we got worse, a lot worse, and I think he did enough here over his lifetime to be treated with a tad more respect here personally.

You tossed him under the bus in this thread when nobody was even talking about him, and since he's had WAAAY more success here than anyone since, it seems strange to me. Conference title, national title game appearance, Heisman winning QB. Good gawd what I'd give to have some of that these last 15+ years. Turns out we didn't get better when we canned him, we got worse, a lot worse, and I think he did enough here over his lifetime to be treated with a tad more respect here personally.
Well just fork over another bunch of Tom's recruits and maybe you can have some of that. Let's not say "title game appearance" like it didn't require what, 3-4 different teams to miraculously lose from out in front of NU in a single week after they got wrecked by CU so they could back into that game and get smacked around by Miami?

Then Tom's guys graduated and tada, 7-7! He managed 8-3 the next year, got canned, and then we spent years hearing about how he was done wrong and needed more time. But you don't hear that any more after he's had 10 years in a soft conference to end up someplace better and never did.

So the reason it's relevant, is that's what will need to happen with Pelini so we can stop hearing the same crap about him. "Record was pretty good, what do ya want, he just needed some different assistants, sure the recruiting was bad but stars don't really matter anyhow, Tom almost got fired, blah blah blah."

It's the same conversation, the only difference is Frank wasn't a psycho.

Well just fork over another bunch of Tom's recruits and maybe you can have some of that. Let's not say "title game appearance" like it didn't require what, 3-4 different teams to miraculously lose from out in front of NU in a single week after they got wrecked by CU so they could back into that game and get smacked around by Miami?

Then Tom's guys graduated and tada, 7-7! He managed 8-3 the next year, got canned, and then we spent years hearing about how he was done wrong and needed more time. But you don't hear that any more after he's had 10 years in a soft conference to end up someplace better and never did.

So the reason it's relevant, is that's what will need to happen with Pelini so we can stop hearing the same crap about him. "Record was pretty good, what do ya want, he just needed some different assistants, sure the recruiting was bad but stars don't really matter anyhow, Tom almost got fired, blah blah blah."

It's the same conversation, the only difference is Frank wasn't a psycho.
Frank was top 10 in recruiting twice here...2000 and 2001. But no need to worry about facts...keep yapping.

Frank was top 10 in recruiting twice here...2000 and 2001. But no need to worry about facts...keep yapping.
Source on that?

I find these:

2000: 17 (247 Sports)
2001: 41 (247 Sports)
2002: 40 (Rivals) 35 (247)
2003: 42 (Rivals) 35 (247)

Top 10 or 41? That's a HELL of a difference in opinion!

So when he ends up with classes in the 40s toward the firing, are those facts that contributed to the decline of the program, or is that just a figment of everyone's imagination?

Out of all the coaches who've graced our sideline since T.O, nobody has even come close to Solich's success he had here. Fact. I can formulate an argument for keeping Frank, and firing him, I have zero issue with anyone arguing for either point. I have a big issue with somebody treating him like the dirt you just did and I think you're being a huge dick about him. I don't care how we got into the title game, we got there. We finished the regular season with 1 loss, we were ranked #1 for weeks that season, we had a Heisman winning QB. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, because it was the last time we mattered in CFB. Frank doesn't deserve to be tossed under the bus and treated like dirt, and for you to go out of your way to do it is beyond weird.

Your numbers are jack. Since we are on Rivals let's look at their numbers and their predecessor's numbers (Bobby Burton).

2000...10th
2001...10th

If you look at what others said about 2001 you will find:

Superprep 7
Tom Lemming 14
Sportsline 13
They did not make the top 10 on National Blue Chips so we don't know what they were ranked.

Out of all the coaches who've graced our sideline since T.O, nobody has even come close to Solich's success he had here. Fact. I can formulate an argument for keeping Frank, and firing him, I have zero issue with anyone arguing for either point. I have a big issue with somebody treating him like the dirt you just did and I think you're being a huge dick about him. I don't care how we got into the title game, we got there. We finished the regular season with 1 loss, we were ranked #1 for weeks that season, we had a Heisman winning QB. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, because it was the last time we mattered in CFB. Frank doesn't deserve to be tossed under the bus and treated like dirt, and for you to go out of your way to do it is beyond weird.
Wait, are we on a message board, or did I walk onto his front porch, ring the bell, and slap him without even realizing it? Did I say something personal about him, or did I point out (correctly) that he hasn't gone on to any level of success anywhere else that indicated he should have kept the NU job?

No? You're just looking for an excuse to be sore in the ass? Ten four, good buddy. You throw whatever fit you want, but I didn't say anything about him that isn't true.

Your numbers are jack. Since we are on Rivals let's look at their numbers and their predecessor's numbers (Bobby Burton).

2000...10th
2001...10th

If you look at what others said about 2001 you will find:

Superprep 7
Tom Lemming 14
Sportsline 13
They did not make the top 10 on National Blue Chips so we don't know what they were ranked.

Ok. Do you have a point to go with that? Because I never said that he had zero good classes. I said the discussion around him when he got fired involved the recruiting falling off, and then we had to hear all the yapping about whether #RivalsRankingsMatter or #AllRankingsMatter

Do what you do, but those 02 and 03 classes were trending the wrong way.

But since you seem to be a big fan of his, maybe you can explain why the product on the field in 03 was so bad since those feeder classes were so great and he's such a solid coach? Great players, great coach...wha hahpun? Illuminati maybe......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT