ADVERTISEMENT

"Some smoke" - Pelini to Kentucky

There was some chatter a few weeks back he was in Lexington, can't remember if it was claimed for a game or someone noticed him around the football stadium. Buddy Stoops bailing him out.

But, but, but... he was so happy being back in Ohio coaching at the lower level because frankly, he just wanted to coach - didn't care about the big lights, I thought.

That said, I do think it's a wiser decision to get back to coaching defense in a bigger league. If he can have success, his future is in coaching on the defensive side of the game. Yes, the team looked pretty rough in key games down the stretch, but I do believe he has a good defensive mind.

Reactions: TheNewNU
"As a staff member" is a pretty key part you left off the header. When I first read your post I was like "There's no goddamn way Kentucky is hiring a dude who just finished 5-6 at Youngstown to be their next head coach."

Reactions: OmahaSker
He will get smoked by SEC offenses. He won't have quality of athletes he coached at LSU.

for a guy that seems to wing it, he can sure fall on his feet.

Bo is a good football coach. Just not cut out to be the head man. Nothing at all wrong with that.

This. I don't wish ill on the guy, I liked him. I'm rather disappointed that he didn't fit what we were going to do, because initially I thought, here's a guy who is going to turn over every rock to win all the games he can.

There was some chatter a few weeks back he was in Lexington, can't remember if it was claimed for a game or someone noticed him around the football stadium. Buddy Stoops bailing him out.
Not surprised you'd be up to date on your idols movements.

Reactions: Rmarciano
Guessing here, but I would bet on Bo consulting Lil Stoops, and not being looked at for a serious DC position. Possibly he was recommending someone for an assistant or GA. DC at UK would be a pretty big step back from HC even at YSU.

Guessing here, but I would bet on Bo consulting Lil Stoops, and not being looked at for a serious DC position. Possibly he was recommending someone for an assistant or GA. DC at UK would be a pretty big step back from HC even at YSU.

Who is worried about steps back? Dude went from NU to nowhere land.

He'd probably make quite a bit more than he does at YSU.

This. I don't wish ill on the guy, I liked him. I'm rather disappointed that he didn't fit what we were going to do, because initially I thought, here's a guy who is going to turn over every rock to win all the games he can.
Oh don't get me wrong. He is a sorry excuse for a human being.

Maybe he will end up like Bud Foster at Virginia Tech. Def. Coord under a good coach. Not saying Stoops is like Beamer. Ever wonder why Foster never became a HC?

Perhaps we should think outside the box. Possibly he has figured out if he keeps coaching the stress and anger will shorten his life, so he plans to change careers and was down there looking at buying a fried chicken franchise.

I am not a fan of his, I think he would be wise to look back at the NFL as a position coach and work towards DC. I think his temperament lends itself better to working with grown men. It would surprise me a bit if he were successful as the DC at a school like Kentucky. I don't like the way he represented the University and best of luck to him. I root for almost everybody who ever represented the N, but I can't find it in me to root for that guy any longer. Maybe that will change with some action he has yet to commit, but it ain't right now for me.

Reactions: Gary from Wisconsin

I disagree. I would guess that far more major college DCs get real head coaching jobs than HCs from the NAIA type football like Youngstown State do.

If he wants to get back in to a H.C job at a major U he needs to take this job.

He's a DC at best. As we all know he does not have the temperament to be a head coach at a big school. He's not good with the public and even worse with the press. I think a lot of the players like him, but that is not enough to make him a good head coach.

Reactions: sparky62
I am not a fan of his, I think he would be wise to look back at the NFL as a position coach and work towards DC. I think his temperament lends itself better to working with grown men. It would surprise me a bit if he were successful as the DC at a school like Kentucky. I don't like the way he represented the University and best of luck to him. I root for almost everybody who ever represented the N, but I can't find it in me to root for that guy any longer. Maybe that will change with some action he has yet to commit, but it ain't right now for me.
I think he fits better in the NFL. His defensive philosophy would align better stopping NFL teams than they do college. He needs elite athletes on all three levels of defense for it to work. He won't always get that sort of athlete in college. I think he could be a successful NFL DC.

Kentucky is one red neck area of the country.. You can most certainly recruit just about anything from your car.

Hope the guy does land a HC job somewhere. He was a good coach, but could not get us to the top tier so everyone hated him. Besides, the more money he makes elsewhere, the less Nebraska has to pay out.

Hope the guy does land a HC job somewhere. He was a good coach, but could not get us to the top tier so everyone hated him. Besides, the more money he makes elsewhere, the less Nebraska has to pay out.
He's actually a head coach right now...

He's actually a head coach right now...
f course I meant at a Division 1 school. 9 wins a year can be appealing to many schools and like I said, the more money he makes coaching elsewhere, the less that Nebraska's payout to him will be. Win Win for both the Bo-lievers and the Bo-leavers

He was a good coach, but could not get us to the top tier so everyone hated him.

You're right.. It had nothing to do with him telling me to kiss his ass and saying that we were lucky to have him. Not to mention whoring himself out every time another HC job came open. Oh and who could forget him badmouthing the program that I love to the players in a "private" meeting AFTER being fired.

Oh and by the way.. I think Wisconsin just scored again.

Yep, I only hated him because he didn't win a national title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT