ADVERTISEMENT

So why do we have a ST Coach?

whitelightning_8

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
My argument is that we don't need a special teams coach. Sam Foltz is the man, and was before BR, Drew Brown very well may have been helped by BR, but that's not definitive, and he very well have gained consistency on his own.

What IS noticeable though is that:
- we don't have blockers for our kick returners
- a large portion of Drew's misses came from the right hash (if the OC isn't keeping this in mind you'd think a ST coach would)
- our coverage is pedestrian at best

I have no idea what we were doing on Iowa punts yesterday. Have we had a block all year? STs is a big part of the game (and I appreciate more than most), but I did not see enough from BR to justify having a dedicated ST coach. I think that coaching spot would be better served elsewhere (maybe on the DL since our coach there doesn't like to recruit it seems).

My favorite time of year when non-football people start deciding which coaches are good or bad.
This is a position I've held since he was hired. I was put on a two week ban on this site when I suggested BR shouldn't be on the team when he couldn't get a walk-on snapper.

Do you think he's worth the money? Do you not believe that his position would be better utilized elsewhere? Why don't you contribute to the discussion?

Last edited:
To the OP, we don't have a special teams coach, we have a special teams coordinator.

This is a position I've held since he was hired. I was put on a two week ban on this site when I suggested BR shouldn't be on the team when he couldn't get a walk-on snapper.

Do you think he's worth the money? Do you not believe that his position would be better utilized elsewhere? Why don't you contribute to the discussion?
I won't contribute to the discussion because the guys making the decisions know more about running a football team than I do.

DL is vastly improved as well.
I think the DL has played great - also Lb'er given their injuries have been well coached.

However there are other coaches which are not contributing and even hurting the team overall - Loyalty to coaches who are not cutting it, is a very selfish way to manage. If everyone is fired because a few do not hold up their end and Riley does nothing about it - shame on Riley

I think the DL has played great - also Lb'er given their injuries have been well coached.

However there are other coaches which are not contributing and even hurting the team overall - Loyalty to coaches who are not cutting it, is a very selfish way to manage. If everyone is fired because a few do not hold up their end and Riley does nothing about it - shame on Riley

I am not too happy wit DB, RB, OL and DC coaching. Oh ya and Langsdorf.

I won't contribute to the discussion because the guys making the decisions know more about running a football team than I do.
So if I were to go through your history there wouldn't be any posts or opinions about how things should be done? Why are you on a message board then?

I don't disagree with having the position. Special teams are an important part of the game. Whether not we have the right guy I don't know.

Reactions: Skerburger
I am not too happy wit DB, RB, OL and DC coaching. Oh ya and Langsdorf.
Rotation at theses positions or development, whos playing?

I agree on rotation at RB and OL only. Otherwise I think Davis and Cavanaugh have done well.
Oline played well for who we have. Only potential issue I could have is no rotation and/or younger guys not playing over Utter and earlier Kondolo.
RB we just dont have a playmaker. Rotation and not going to Cross and Ozigbo more over Newby would be my only issue here.
DB? Hmmm not sure here. They did seem to improve. Not sure otherwise.

Thanks. I want that guy gone too =).

I was being facetious, no attack intended. Seems like having a dedicated coach/coordinator should make one's special teams pretty much extraordinary. And, if by one's own comments that special teams are so crucial that we will have a coordinator, then anything less than special should be UNACCEPTABLE.

@HuskerExtraBC: #Huskers had 106 punt return yards this regular season. De'Mornay Pierson-El had 134 against Iowa last year.

Reactions: tithay01
I was being facetious, no attack intended. Seems like having a dedicated coach/coordinator should make one's special teams pretty much extraordinary. And, if by one's own comments that special teams are so crucial that we will have a coordinator, then anything less than special should be UNACCEPTABLE.
No worries dude, I didn't take it that way.

I agree with your comments, and the stats that Headcard put up are truly disappointing. If DPE were healthy he wouldn't have even been able to do anything back there.

@HuskerExtraBC: #Huskers had 106 punt return yards this regular season. De'Mornay Pierson-El had 134 against Iowa last year.

We left a ton of yards on the field the you by not returning very many punts. It reminded me of the day of Billy C.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT