ADVERTISEMENT

Our administration better have an awesome hire in the works…

So if not MJ, then who?? There ain't shit out there unless TA goes after Freeze or Sanders and I highly doubt he is smart enough to go for either.
How are you so sure there isn’t crap out there?

Why would you hire Mickey ? Because he was a QB here under TO..

I think you forget that probably 90% or more of the fan base would consider Mickey a home run hire. The handful of people who frequent boards or were high school football stars or coaches that want Fickell and consider MJ woefully under shooting the mark are insignificant as a barometer within the ADs office.
He is a WR coach.

We need another rumor. There hasn’t been one since last week.
Yep, if we can't get a rumor, just give us some action. The only way we shouldn't be announcing a new hire right now is if it is Kiffin, or Whittingham or some sort of solid established coach. If it is Urbs, Mickey, Rhule, etc and are not employed there is no reason to wait. Starting to get ridiculous.

In theory and on paper but the reality tells us a completely suffering story. There is chance and there is probability.

I read in here, the phrase "right hire" will make the difference and get the job done. So I have to ask who that would be who would actually come to Nebraska. Crickets.
I've shown my list here multiple times. And who would come to Nebraska depends on a lot of factors. The most important being how well can TA sell the program and how much we're willing to pay. I suspect the answer is middling for both which is why we will likely get middling results in our coaching search.

How are you so sure there isn’t crap out there?

Why would you hire Mickey ? Because he was a QB here under TO..
How are you certain there is? I have to conclude after going through this for 5 cycles, this is not a place high on many coaches list. We see what we want to see as home grown fans but these coaches see something different, apparently.

People are setting themselves up to be disappointed by thinking Urb and others are just elbowing each other to come here. There is zero indication of that.

I also believe that whoever it is, the fan base will be disappointed because it isn't a home run, big name hire.

Last edited:
How are you certain there is? I have to the conclusion after going through this for 5 cycles, this is not a place high on many coaches list. We see what we want to see as home grown fans but these coaches see something different, apparently.

People are setting themselves up to be disappointed by thinking Urb and others are just elbowing each other to come here. There is zero indication of that.

I also believe that whoever it is, the fan base will be disappointed because it isn't a home room, big name hire.
I'm not set up for disappointment. A decision will be made and that will be that. None of us are changing it. We've all voiced our opinions several times and why this guy or that guy should be the coach.

We can be happy, we can bitch and moan, or we can move along. Some will see the glass half full, others will see it empty. At the end of the day, if Trev hires the "right" guy, he will maintain his AD job. If he fails, he will get tossed in due time.

Hard to tell what percentage of any of us fans are going to be happy, pissed off, frustrated, or resigned to the reality Trev couldn't get who he or we wanted, and it will be time to talk about what the future might hold.

I think we all have 2-3 guys that we can live with, and 2-3 guys where we say, oh hell no, not him. If you get 1 of your top 2-3 picks hopefully it will work out. If we get a guy from your dreaded list, and he fails, there will be plenty of time to rail about the hire.

Auburn firing Harsin added another element to this NU hiring. Ruhle, possibly BOB, and a couple of others might prefer them to NU. If Trev had been courting BOB for a month or two, and hypothetically, BOB decided to take the Auburn job, then Trev wasted his time with BOB.

What I don't want is a HC who won't just tell the OC that Logan is starting Saturday, so coach him up. Put in some packages that give him the best chance to lead this team to some points.

The boss needs to act like the boss.

I read an article years ago when Urban was at Ohio State. He was the boss and he let the OC "do his thing", BUT, he also told him at some point in the game, "I want us to go deep 2-3 times next series." It wasn't a topic for discussion.

If I were the interim coach, and I knew both myself and the OC had maybe, only 3 games left, I would call the shot on who's starting at QB and that's that. I wouldn't care if he thought I was a prick, if I'm going down for the count in 3 games, I'm going down on my own terms.

As quiet as it is, Leopold seems to make the most sense to this outsider. Unless, TA is just letting fans see MJ isn't the guy before naming whoever he has in the closet. The choice has to have been made by now, and if it's a guy like Rhule, one would think it would have been outed on social media.

As quiet as it is, Leopold seems to make the most sense to this outsider. Unless, TA is just letting fans see MJ isn't the guy before naming whoever he has in the closet. The choice has to have been made by now, and if it's a guy like Rhule, one would think it would have been outed on social media.

Reactions: thall_
I've shown my list here multiple times. And who would come to Nebraska depends on a lot of factors. The most important being how well can TA sell the program and how much we're willing to pay. I suspect the answer is middling for both which is why we will likely get middling results in our coaching search.
Why don't you like Trev?

I cant imagine the complexity to this coaching search right now and dont envy Trev. There are so many moving parts. The 'if/then' flow chart has got to have 100 different paths.

Why don't you like Trev?
This is probably facetious, but I'll bite. I didn't know what to think about Trev coming in, I actually kind of liked the idea. However, he's made multiple bad decisions already. He kept Frost when he didn't have to, kept Hoiberg, and everybody made such a big deal about the buyout, and then we brush it off and pay the full buyout anyway with only a few weeks remaining to be reduced. And if he’s being influenced by boosters as much as people say, I sure as hell don't like that. That was never an acceptable excuse for any AD before Trev, and I don't know why it would be acceptable now. If he makes a good hire here, I can forgive a lot of that, but even that's not looking likely.

I cant imagine the complexity to this coaching search right now and dont envy Trev. There are so many moving parts. The 'if/then' flow chart has got to have 100 different paths.
part of the narrative last year for keeping Frost was it wasn't a good time for NU to be searching for a head coach given OU, ND, USC, LSU etc were all looking for coaches and we would be in a much better position this year if Frost needed to be fired

well here we are ... let's see what Trev comes up with now that there really aren't any big boys hunting coaches right now

This is probably facetious, but I'll bite. I didn't know what to think about Trev coming in, I actually kind of liked the idea. However, he's made multiple bad decisions already. He kept Frost when he didn't have to, kept Hoiberg, and everybody made such a big deal about the buyout, and then we brush it off and pay the full buyout anyway with only a few weeks remaining to be reduced. And if he’s being influenced by boosters as much as people say, I sure as hell don't like that. That was never an acceptable excuse for any AD before Trev, and I don't know why it would be acceptable now. If he makes a good hire here, I can forgive a lot of that, but even that's not looking likely.

Honestly, you sound miserable.

What I do to you? Point out that you don't know what the definition of a straw man argument is?
I'm apparently the only one who knows what it means. Guess you don't know what 'two-faced' means either. It's when someone pretends to ask a genuine question, but has no interest in the actual response but to be used to insult that same person later. That's exactly what you did, it's what I knew you were going to do because you've done it in the past, and I can read you like a book. It's not cool and not something a genuine man would do. It's something a manipulative woman would do.

I'm apparently the only one who knows what it means. Guess you don't know what 'two-faced' means either. It's when someone pretends to ask a genuine question, but has no interest in the actual response but to be used to insult that same person later. That's exactly what you did, it's what I knew you were going to do because you've done it in the past, and I can read you like a book. It's not cool and not something a genuine man would do. It's something a manipulative woman would do.

Again, you sound miserable.

You probably need to look up the definition of two-faced as well. Maybe don't use Wikipedia again.

Also, it was a genuine question. Your answer makes you seem miserable.

There's that 'if" again. Who would be a good hire that wants to be at Nebraska. Too many moving parts in your if statement.

Pay wise we've been willing to pay out huge bucks in buy outs. That hasn't been any hesitation so I don't believe money is or will be the deciding issue. The issue IMO is whether or not Trev actually is smart enough to pick a winner for Nebraska. That's where I have my doubts.

Reactions: bshirt73
I guess I must have missed your list. I must admit I don't have one. So by your metrics, if they don't want to come here it is because Trev didn't sell it well enough and didn't pay enough.

Would you share your list again? What is the probability for each of your candidates?

I guess I must have missed your list. I must admit I don't have one. So by your metrics, if they don't want to come here it is because Trev didn't sell it well enough and didn't pay enough.

Would you share your list again? What is the probability for each of your candidates?
Sure, my list hasn't changed at all since basically the start of the season. I'm not going to assign probabilities because it depends on several factors, e.g., are they actively coaching, how much they make currently, and how much are we willing to pay them. I think all of them are plausibly attainable, some more than others. If we fail on all of these guys, then yes, I think it would be because Trev couldn't sell or we were making lowball offers. I excluded Kiffin and Freeze because I didn't think they would get serious consideration.

1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer
6. Aranda
7. Leipold
8. Fickell
9. Rhule
10. BoB
11. Campbell
12. Klieman

How are you certain there is? I have to conclude after going through this for 5 cycles, this is not a place high on many coaches list. We see what we want to see as home grown fans but these coaches see something different, apparently.

I also believe that whoever it is, the fan base will be disappointed because it isn't a home run, big name hire.
There are a lot of good young coaches out there that could win at NU.

Sure, my list hasn't changed at all since basically the start of the season. I'm not going to assign probabilities because it depends on several factors, e.g., are they actively coaching, how much they make currently, and how much are we willing to pay them. I think all of them are plausibly attainable, some more than others. If we fail on all of these guys, then yes, I think it would be because Trev couldn't sell or we were making lowball offers. I excluded Kiffin and Freeze because I didn't think they would get serious consideration.

1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer
6. Aranda
7. Leipold
8. Fickell
9. Rhule
10. BoB
11. Campbell
12. Klieman
For the most part a delusional list.

1) he ain't coming to NU get over it
2) I like the guy but does not like to recruit which you have to work harder at @ NU
3) Indifferent on, MJ just as good of an option
4) Please!!...milquetoast, Riley hire padding his retirement
5) Unproven
'6) Finally a good candidate
7) Would be ok with
8) Unreaso\nable, he ain't leaving Ohio
9) this one would be good
10) An absolute joke, this would rival Callahan and Riley as one of the worst hires ever
11) His offenses normally suck and in year 7 the program is stagnant
12) Would be ok with

Where's MJ, Freeze or Deion? These guys could make a difference # NU.

There are a lot of good young coaches out there that could win at NU.
I would not know who they are, definition of young as well but I do agree. There are always the TOs coming up somewhere.

The bigger question is would Nebraska hire them? Would we hire this Urban guy from Bowling Green? Or some.guy Lance from Wisconsin White Water. I can see this board now!

Reactions: JOHNNY N
I think you forget that probably 90% or more of the fan base would consider Mickey a home run hire. The handful of people who frequent boards or were high school football stars or coaches that want Fickell and consider MJ woefully under shooting the mark are insignificant as a barometer within the ADs office.
He is a WR coach.what
For the most part a delusional list.

1) he ain't coming to NU get over it
2) I like the guy but does not like to recruit which you have to work harder at @ NU
3) Indifferent on, MJ just as good of an option
4) Please!!...milquetoast, Riley hire padding his retirement
5) Unproven
'6) Finally a good candidate
7) Would be ok with
8) Unreaso\nable, he ain't leaving Ohio
9) this one would be good
10) An absolute joke, this would rival Callahan and Riley as one of the worst hires ever
11) His offenses normally suck and in year 7 the program is stagnant
12) Would be ok with

Where's MJ, Freeze or Deion? These guys could make a difference # NU.
A WR coach is our different maker.

Reactions: oldjar07

1. Urban
2. Mullen
3. Herman
4. Petersen
5. Deboer
6. Aranda
7. Leipold
8. Fickell
9. Rhule
10. BoB
11. Campbell
12. Klieman
1. Delusional
2. Meh
3. Delusional
4. Dumb
5. Delusional
6. Delusional
7. Delusional
8. Delusional
9. Tough sell to get here, maybe
10. Realistic
11. Why?
12. Delusional

Worst list assembled on here so far, other than Rhule & BoB. One of those two will be the new coach

There must be a sports board law that if a thread goes on long enough it will become a pissing contest between posters.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
You are such a weasel. You want Leipold out so he doesn't bend the kitties over for years and so we don't hire away your guy. A weak Kansas is good for Kansas State fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT