ADVERTISEMENT

Our administration better have an awesome hire in the works…

I live in Minnesota, and when other fans hear I cheer for Nebraska, the typical response is sincere sympathy these days. Sort of, ‘That sucks. Hang in there, man.’

It’s bad.

When this whole hire-fire cycle started 2 decades ago, there was this sort of entitled ‘We’re NEBRASKA!’ attitude. Multiple administrations didn’t really take into account that you can’t have a multi decade hire-fire pattern in a region without a natural recruiting base. We salted the earth, and the current generation of recruits doesn’t care about our history book glory.

With Solich, Callahan, Pelini—guys that get to that 9 win threshold—we should have been patient and tweaked things instead of burning everything to the ground each time. When we were finally patient it was with that worthless Frost who had a mindnumbingly stupid extension despite demonstrating only that he was a horrible coach that said dumb things during his time here.

Sir, Callahan brought in two losing seasons out of his four seasons at NU and only "one" year of 9 winning games.

Sir, Callahan brought in two losing seasons out of his four seasons at NU and only "one" year of 9 winning games.
And he also developed a great offense (which they kept with Pelini) and was awesome at recruiting. My point is that in our region of the country, with our recruiting issues, the guy should have been given a shot with a new defensive coordinator prior to tossing him. These guys that can get up to those 9 win seasons deserve more patience and time to correct. Frost, the one guy we were patient with, only won 3-5 games a season.

This fan base won’t be unanimously happy with anybody short of Nick Saban and then there would be complaints…..😏
Honestly you can't try to please the fans with the name of the head coach hire. That's not the right reason to choose the next head coach. You'd never satisfy 100% of the fans no matter how hard you tried. But you don't need to either. You need to hire a coach who will win/win/win and just about every fan will then turn from a critic into an enthusiastic supporter.

And yeah, if we don't make a decently good hire, there's going to be a revolt. And it will be justified.
I think you forget that probably 90% or more of the fan base would consider Mickey a home run hire. The handful of people who frequent boards or were high school football stars or coaches that want Fickell and consider MJ woefully under shooting the mark are insignificant as a barometer within the ADs office.

Reactions: mavsker
Fans are apathetic. Look at this board. Posting is way down. Part of that being Husker Online's split from Rivals but a big part is because we flat out stink. For Pete's sake theres a large contingency of fans that believe the best we can do is a guy that has never been more than a wide receiver coach. Mickey is not a serious candidate for any Power 5 jobs other than this one. I wish him nothing but success to end the year and, in the future, wherever he may be. But he is not qualified to lead this program.

Trev better be poaching a current Power 5 head coach. I'm late 20s. The first season I really remember as a kid was Frank's last year. I remember bits and pieces of Eric Crouch as a kid. Every fan under 32 has no recollection of this program being relevant. This program is 5.5 feet in the ground right now and time is lowering us deeper and deeper into the ground. This has to work. Or Memorial stadium will be hosting Ultimate Frisbee on Fall Saturdays in the 2030s.
The culture of old Nebraska is dead. Eventually the old timers will die off and even if we were national champions next year under Urban Meyer no one in your generation will collectively remember enough husker history to bridge the divide that is the wildnerness we are now in.

the eric crouch era was fun, but also the start of the decline. The death of the I-back began, the Colorado embarrassment, and of course not being good enough to sniff the U’s jock. NU now is split into younger more fairweather type fans and the older generations for whom a few Johnny Rodgers clips and the sell out streak will keep the illusion going for a while longer.

we may return to dominance with B1G money leading the way, but considering the game is NFL lite now, the storied past will mostly stay in stories that fewer people remember.

The culture of old Nebraska is dead. Eventually the old timers will die off and even if we were national champions next year under Urban Meyer no one in your generation will collectively remember enough husker history to bridge the divide that is the wildnerness we are now in.

the eric crouch era was fun, but also the start of the decline. The death of the I-back began, the Colorado embarrassment, and of course not being good enough to sniff the U’s jock. NU now is split into younger more fairweather type fans and the older generations for whom a few Johnny Rodgers clips and the sell out streak will keep the illusion going for a while longer.

we may return to dominance with B1G money leading the way, but considering the game is NFL lite now, the storied past will mostly stay in stories that fewer people remember.
That was depressing...

Who the F are you even talking to????

Just a quick note.

I am an old-timer and I'd love to read your contract on life.

I'm kinda upbeat bout things, got nil to at least balance things away from the sec, ohio state and usc..it's legal to pay players now.
plus trev is picking a coach. not a wisconson ad..
and folks don't forget the past, baylor365 sports would'nt spend so much time saying aranda ain't going anywhere, unless there was a possibility of aranda going somewhere...
mickey would'nt be playing the race and asu card, unless there's other coaches looking at NU
I seen us win 5 nc's, and I'm ready for more. nothing is over...
post tenebras lux

Pelini was able to turn around NU on a dime basically because Callahan left behind all-league talent on the roster. Riley had enough talent left behind by Pelini to win 9 games the first season (he won 6 including the bowl game). The Oline has under performed the entire time under Frost. The Dline looked good when there was age and some talent on it, which is currently not the case. Not a real difference maker among the bunch. So there is a player deficit.
The offensive and defensive plans of the next coach are of interest. But his plans on how to recruit and develop a competitive B1G roster are perhaps even more important.

If Tennessee can come back and be at the top of the college football world. Nebraska sure can too. Tennessee has been doing the exact same shit as we have for 2 decades and they finally got their guy and are having success. We can do it. We just got to find the right guy. The night is darkest just before the dawn. I promise you the dawn is coming.
What do you think the odds are that Tennessee cheated?

I think you forget that probably 90% or more of the fan base would consider Mickey a home run hire. The handful of people who frequent boards or were high school football stars or coaches that want Fickell and consider MJ woefully under shooting the mark are insignificant as a barometer within the ADs office.
I hope its not 90% were supposed to be 1 of the smarter fan bases in cfb. I suspect that the 90% drops significantly over the remaining games. I like Mickey but I think the fish bowl in Lincoln mite be to much over the long haul. Who knows maybe he kills it as a HC somewhere. But as a 1st time HC he will be an experiment and I hope the UNL administration understands how critical this hire is. Can they afford to gamble on another experiment? I dont think so.

Reactions: bshirt73
Fans are apathetic. Look at this board. Posting is way down. Part of that being Husker Online's split from Rivals but a big part is because we flat out stink. For Pete's sake theres a large contingency of fans that believe the best we can do is a guy that has never been more than a wide receiver coach. Mickey is not a serious candidate for any Power 5 jobs other than this one. I wish him nothing but success to end the year and, in the future, wherever he may be. But he is not qualified to lead this program.

Trev better be poaching a current Power 5 head coach. I'm late 20s. The first season I really remember as a kid was Frank's last year. I remember bits and pieces of Eric Crouch as a kid. Every fan under 32 has no recollection of this program being relevant. This program is 5.5 feet in the ground right now and time is lowering us deeper and deeper into the ground. This has to work. Or Memorial stadium will be hosting Ultimate Frisbee on Fall Saturdays in the 2030s.
And if that P5 coach happens to be Fleck or Leipold and fans get so pissy they want to bounce then peace out
We may be on the same path as the likes of Minnesota who after a few decades of high level success fell off and never got off the mat to obtain any degree of relevancy

our success has been greater than minnesota and more sustained - but the fall off may be similar

I hope our kids - grandkids - great grand kids etc don’t forever categorize Nebraska with the Minnesota’s - Iowa’s (which to them may seem pretty good) rather than with the elites
Minnesota had a reasonable excuse since their downturn coincided with the Vikings coming to town

Lol if 90% think Joseph would be a home run hire, 90% of the fanbase are morons. He objectively would not be. Honestly if Nebraska hires Joseph I will be pretty apathetic about the program. We officially will be at the kid's table of the sport since it shows we don't care about winning. There are too many proven coaches to try out an experiment

Honestly you can't try to please the fans with the name of the head coach hire. That's not the right reason to choose the next head coach. You'd never satisfy 100% of the fans no matter how hard you tried. But you don't need to either. You need to hire a coach who will win/win/win and just about every fan will then turn from a critic into an enthusiastic supporter.
"Just"?

Isn't that every teams goal? Win/win/win? The question is not what but who? I still submit the list of people who can accomplish that is very small when you look at current options. Out of that small group, how many smare coming to Nebraska?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Les Miles was fired due to a past problem at LSU (as well as declining mental health) and I don’t think Mel Tucker was fired from Colorado.
Les had some indiscretion problems at KU as well. There were several sexual harassment accusations at KU

Les had some indiscretion problems at KU as well. There were several sexual harassment accusations at KU
That issue has become more prevalent over the last 10? years or so when those head coaches make such enormous amounts of money. JMO

Just like in society, there will always be a percentage of spouses who will look the other way or pretend it's not happening as their husband, who is making a very nice living, has a mistress or two on the side.

Some women will not put up with it, others will just accept it for what it is.

I'm not judging those spouses, but if the hubby is hauling down 500K a month and the wife is not the divorcing type, it just goes on.

The bottom line, there is a small percentage of head coaches that are just dogs. Dogs with a shit load of money for off-season free time and travel.

Nebraska is like the current political situation, not good. I don't know about everyone else but Nebraska has ruined my Saturdays to the point where I have little interest in watching. The Nebraska fix would be easy if Nebraska was located in the South or West and that would create a solid recruiting territory but Nebraska is not located anywhere close to either, it's not even close.

When Nebraska crashed it crashed hard and it will take one hell of a coach to raise Nebraska from the trash heap and there is a coach who can do it but it won't come from a lot of re-treads. In my opinion and it's only my opinion Nebraska should sign Joseph with a modest contract to see if he can turn this thing with new staff members that are solid.

Nebraska is located in the middle of the country and so you have to have a coach who can convince kids from the South and the West to venture to the middle of the country to play for the Cornhuskers and Joseph is that coach.
It's time Nebraska stops pulling names out of a hat hoping just like the national lottery you draw a winner. Josephs name was never in the hat, time to play the hand we have and see what plays out.

This fan base won’t be unanimously happy with anybody short of Nick Saban and then there would be complaints…..😏
Delusion runs strong among all of nebraska football. The Indiana basketball of college football. The killer of coaching careers. Another bad hire away from being Colorado football

To recap, our fans obsessively look forward to our seasons, and our administrators basically sacrificed this one in their ridiculous efforts to oust Frost from their own stupidity. Sacrificing this season was presumably to lower Frost’s buyout and save money, but then they tossed him mere weeks prior to his buyout being significantly lowered anyway. This is all on top of over 2 decades of being lost in the wilderness with inconsistent, competing plans from multiple now fired/retired “leaders.”

It is important to be loyal to your team, but this multidecade sh*t show needs to end. If we don’t get someone good, I think they are going to see a large portion of our fan base check out. Forget the sell out streak. Being a fan of our program has been almost unbearable, and most I talk to aren’t optimistic about our next yet unnamed coach either. No amount of pro-Husker propaganda is going to excite people anymore. We have sucked too long and need results.
loll.. There Stupidity and most of you Huskers fans who wanted this dog turd Scott as a head coach! How many on here will admit to this? I never wanted him, because i never thought he proved he was a Top coach,But i saw on here most licking Scotty sack in hopes of getting him at the time!! loll

But now its the leaders of Husker nation, Which is true that they make the choices,but as fans we sucked wanting Frost! Saw the same thing on here when they wanted Bo! So save your blame game for those who also was licking the sack at the time !! loll

Delusion runs strong among all of nebraska football. The Indiana basketball of college football. The killer of coaching careers. Another bad hire away from being Colorado fooball
well we could always do what your school has done. You know, keep a crappy coach for eternity and watch your program die a slow death. At least we have some trophies to look at in our trophy case. National Championship trophies not participation trophies like your Hawks.

Nebraska is like the current political situation, not good. I don't know about everyone else but Nebraska has ruined my Saturdays to the point where I have little interest in watching. The Nebraska fix would be easy if Nebraska was located in the South or West and that would create a solid recruiting territory but Nebraska is not located anywhere close to either, it's not even close.

When Nebraska crashed it crashed hard and it will take one hell of a coach to raise Nebraska from the trash heap and there is a coach who can do it but it won't come from a lot of re-treads. In my opinion and it's only my opinion Nebraska should sign Joseph with a modest contract to see if he can turn this thing with new staff members that are solid.

Nebraska is located in the middle of the country and so you have to have a coach who can convince kids from the South and the West to venture to the middle of the country to play for the Cornhuskers and Joseph is that coach.
It's time Nebraska stops pulling names out of a hat hoping just like the national lottery you draw a winner. Josephs name was never in the hat, time to play the hand we have and see what plays out.
It doesn't have to either be hard or take a long time to bring Nebraska back. You can turn over the roster faster than ever these days and with NIL you now are able to be much more competitive in recruiting. The issue though is that the horrible record over the past several years has destroyed the confidence in much of the Nebraska fanbase so many are pessimistic about coming back.

It doesn't have to either be hard or take a long time to bring Nebraska back. You can turn over the roster faster than ever these days and with NIL you now are able to be much more competitive in recruiting. The issue though is that the horrible record over the past several years has destroyed the confidence in much of the Nebraska fanbase so many are pessimistic about coming back.
In theory and on paper but the reality tells us a completely suffering story. There is chance and there is probability.

I read in here, the phrase "right hire" will make the difference and get the job done. So I have to ask who that would be who would actually come to Nebraska. Crickets.

Reactions: Old Gold Boiler
Not everybody becomes an old-timer before they die off.

Sure. I can't guarantee any given young person will outlive any given older person. But one thing we can guarantee is that as a group, the old timers who remember pre-2000's/pre90's/pre80's NU football are going to die before any of the kids who can barely remember Crouch running the ball and Frank being let go. Hence the history will more or less go with them.

To recap, our fans obsessively look forward to our seasons, and our administrators basically sacrificed this one in their ridiculous efforts to oust Frost from their own stupidity. Sacrificing this season was presumably to lower Frost’s buyout and save money, but then they tossed him mere weeks prior to his buyout being significantly lowered anyway. This is all on top of over 2 decades of being lost in the wilderness with inconsistent, competing plans from multiple now fired/retired “leaders.”

It is important to be loyal to your team, but this multidecade sh*t show needs to end. If we don’t get someone good, I think they are going to see a large portion of our fan base check out. Forget the sell out streak. Being a fan of our program has been almost unbearable, and most I talk to aren’t optimistic about our next yet unnamed coach either. No amount of pro-Husker propaganda is going to excite people anymore. We have sucked too long and need results.

Well ok genius, who should the hire be? Let's hear it.

And yeah, if we don't make a decently good hire, there's going to be a revolt. And it will be justified.

What is a decently good hire? Can you define that? LOL, greatest coach in Husker history, TO, was elevated from the OC position and most of you twits if you were around would have gone apeshit at the time.

What is a decently good hire? Can you define that? LOL, greatest coach in Husker history, TO, was elevated from the OC position and most of you twits if you were around would have gone apeshit at the time.

An internal hire makes sense when you're coming off two nattys and a Heisman trophy winner. It does not make sense when your program is a dumpster fire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT