ADVERTISEMENT

Our administration better have an awesome hire in the works…

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
To recap, our fans obsessively look forward to our seasons, and our administrators basically sacrificed this one in their ridiculous efforts to oust Frost from their own stupidity. Sacrificing this season was presumably to lower Frost’s buyout and save money, but then they tossed him mere weeks prior to his buyout being significantly lowered anyway. This is all on top of over 2 decades of being lost in the wilderness with inconsistent, competing plans from multiple now fired/retired “leaders.”

It is important to be loyal to your team, but this multidecade sh*t show needs to end. If we don’t get someone good, I think they are going to see a large portion of our fan base check out. Forget the sell out streak. Being a fan of our program has been almost unbearable, and most I talk to aren’t optimistic about our next yet unnamed coach either. No amount of pro-Husker propaganda is going to excite people anymore. We have sucked too long and need results.

To recap, our fans obsessively look forward to our seasons, and our administrators basically sacrificed this one in their ridiculous efforts to oust Frost from their own stupidity. Sacrificing this season was presumably to lower Frost’s buyout and save money, but then they tossed him mere weeks prior to his buyout being significantly lowered anyway. This is all on top of over 2 decades of being lost in the wilderness with inconsistent, competing plans from multiple now fired/retired “leaders.”

It is important to be loyal to your team, but this multidecade sh*t show needs to end. If we don’t get someone good, I think they are going to see a large portion of our fan base check out. Forget the sell out streak. Being a fan of our program has been almost unbearable, and most I talk to aren’t optimistic about our next yet unnamed coach either. No amount of pro-Husker propaganda is going to excite people anymore. We have sucked too long and need results.
This fan base won’t be unanimously happy with anybody short of Nick Saban and then there would be complaints…..😏

I tried finding Power 5 new hire coaches for the past 5 years with no luck, but I found this, which, in a way, is going to support my thesis. In 2019, these were Head Coaches hired for the Power 5 conferences. At the time, these were sure-fire hires, soon to be the savior of the football programs in dire straights of becoming obsolete!!

Here are the coaches, how they were rated by the superior people of knowledge, which school, current status

1) Ryan Day, A-, tOSU, playing for championships
2) Neal Brown, A-, WVA, on the hot seat
3) Scott Satterfield, B-, Louisville, on the hot seat
4) Matt Wells, B-, Texas Tech, FIRED
5) Les Miles, B-, Kansas, FIRED due to past descressions at LSU...
6) Geoff Collins, C+, Georgia Tech, FIRED
7) Mike Locksley, C+, Maryland, Good hire
8) Manny Diaz, C, Miami, FIRED
9) Mel Tucker, C-, Colorado, No longer there (Maybe fired at MSU)
10) Chris Klieman, C-, Kansas State, Solid hire
11) Mack Brown, D+, UNC, Solid hire

On this list, 5 have been fired, 2 are on the hot seat, 1 Good hire, and 2 Solid hires. By the end of the year, probably 6 or 55% will no longer be with that school, 1 is still a toss-up, 1 is playing for championships, and 2 is on the doorstep of playing for conference championships. ONLY 1, or 9% of the coaches is considered a GREAT hire, 2, or 18% are playing for conference championships, and 1, or 9% is doing good enough to keep his job.

These coaches had either HC jobs in the past( lower divisions, lower conferences, P5 conference) or were coordinators. None of the above were position coaches only prior to being hired. This shows that no matter what you believe about experience, knowledge, or equivalent conferences or divisions, it is still a crap shoot. I also find it amusing that the bottom 2 in the grades are 2 of the successful coaches, goes to show that the talking heads are rarely right.

If anyone really believes there is a surefire hire out there, you are dreaming. I have hired many people, and in the long run, I found it best to bring them on board for 14 days (paid), at the end of those 14 days a determination would be made by both the applicant and myself if they stuck around. By the end of day 10, they start to show their colors and general attitude in life. I could teach people the landscape construction industry; (NO grass cutting), how to install patios, walls, fireplaces, and outdoor kitchens, build arbors, install lighting, and plant plants, but the one thing I could not teach is character, by then you either have it or you don't. The employees were the face of my company at all times, if they lack character and people skills I could not leave them alone with my customers. More people quit or were let go than those that I kept, maybe 1 out of 3 were kept on staff.

TA has the chance to see what type of character his staff is now and at the end of the season can let go of the weak links. The list above shows that about 36 % of the coaches are still viable 3 years later. This tells me that you better like the character and belief system of your coach long before you trust their potential. NOTHING is for sure, about one in three will make it, those are bad odds.

Last edited:
I tried finding Power 5 new hire coaches for the past 5 years with no luck, but I found this, which, in a way, is going to support my thesis. In 2019, these were Head Coaches hired for the Power 5 conferences. At the time, these were sure-fire hires, soon to be the savior of the football programs in dire straights of becoming obsolete!!

Here are the coaches, how they were rated by the superior people of knowledge, which school, current status

5) Les Miles, B-, Kansas, FIRED
9) Mel Tucker, C-, Colorado, FIRED (Maybe again)

On this list, 5 have been fired, 2 are on the hot seat, 1 Good hire, and 2 Solid hires. By the end of the year, probably 6 or 55% will no longer be with that school, 1 is still a toss-up, 1 is playing for championships, and 2 is on the doorstep of playing for conference championships. ONLY 1, or 9% of the coaches is considered a GREAT hire, 2, or 18% are playing for conference championships, and 1, or 9% is doing good enough to keep his job.

These coaches had either HC jobs in the past( lower divisions, lower conferences, P5 conference) or were coordinators. None of the above were position coaches only prior to being hired. This shows that no matter what you believe about experience, knowledge, or equivalent conferences or divisions, it is still a crap shoot. I also find it amusing that the bottom 2 in the grades are 2 of the successful coaches, goes to show that the talking heads are rarely right.

If anyone really believes there is a surefire hire out there, you are dreaming. I have hired many people, and in the long run, I found it best to bring them on board for 14 days (paid), at the end of those 14 days a determination would be made by both the applicant and myself if they stuck around. By the end of day 10, they start to show their colors and general attitude in life. I could teach people the landscape construction industry; (NO grass cutting), how to install patios, walls, fireplaces, and outdoor kitchens, build arbors, install lighting, and plant plants, but the one thing I could not teach is character, by then you either have it or you don't. The employees were the face of my company at all times, if they lack character and people skills I could not leave them alone with my customers. More people quit or were let go than those that I kept, maybe 1 out of 3 were kept on staff.

TA has the chance to see what type of character his staff is now and at the end of the season can let go of the weak links. The list above shows that about 36 % of the coaches are still viable 3 years later. This tells me that you better like the character and belief system of your coach long before you trust their potential. NOTHING is for sure, about one in three will make it, those are bad odds.
Les Miles was fired due to a past problem at LSU (as well as declining mental health) and I don’t think Mel Tucker was fired from Colorado.

Agreed. Enough with the marketing BS, enough with the outrageous comments in press conferences. Just win. Otherwise soon enough we will be one of the most embarrassing programs in all of college football. Nobody cares about what we did 25 years ago....that was a completely different era. Almost no comparisons other than the lines on the field and logos on the helmet. Glad to see someone other than me seeing this for what it is.

I know a LOT of Husker fans that do not set aside their Saturdays anymore simply to revolve around the tv schedule. I'm one of them. Life is too short to be wasting my time on testing the theory of insanity - the result is the same and has been for years.
I live in Dallas Texas and bars here dont even show the games anymore. One Saturday this season i requested the game to be put on and they said too many other big games were on....as we were watching UCF play Cincinnati. We are so far from the spotlight these days its not even funny. People do not care about us i promise i see it first hand

I live in Dallas Texas and bars here dont even show the games anymore. One Saturday this season i requested the game to be put on and they said too many other big games were on....as we were watching UCF play Cincinnati. We are so far from the spotlight these days its not even funny. People do not care about us i promise i see it first hand
I live in Houston and have never once had a problem getting the game on any establishment I have been to.

I live in Houston and have never once had a problem getting the game on any establishment I have been to.
I live in uptown dallas. Lots of recent college grads mainly from SEC and Big12 country that request their games at popular bars. Ive been having trouble getting them to put on games on Big10 network. They seem to simply not give a shoot. Any issues with big 10 network games?

I live in Minnesota, and when other fans hear I cheer for Nebraska, the typical response is sincere sympathy these days. Sort of, ‘That sucks. Hang in there, man.’

It’s bad.

When this whole hire-fire cycle started 2 decades ago, there was this sort of entitled ‘We’re NEBRASKA!’ attitude. Multiple administrations didn’t really take into account that you can’t have a multi decade hire-fire pattern in a region without a natural recruiting base. We salted the earth, and the current generation of recruits doesn’t care about our history book glory.

With Solich, Callahan, Pelini—guys that get to that 9 win threshold—we should have been patient and tweaked things instead of burning everything to the ground each time. When we were finally patient it was with that worthless Frost who had a mindnumbingly stupid extension despite demonstrating only that he was a horrible coach that said dumb things during his time here.

I live in uptown dallas. Lots of recent college grads mainly from SEC and Big12 country that request their games at popular bars. Ive been having trouble getting them to put on games on Big10 network. They seem to simply not give a shoot. Any issues with big 10 network games?
Nope, but what you are describing is an issue with locals and not liking the Big Ten not a Nebraska relevancy issue. North Dakota, Indiana and Purdue games were on BTN, the two Big Ten games were in prime time.

This fan base won’t be unanimously happy with anybody short of Nick Saban and then there would be complaints…..😏
While you are absolutely correct, at the end of the day, that matters not.

If the next hire comes in here, brings some competent assistants, and actually coaches winning football, the fans will be fine.

Everything else is in place here.

I live in Minnesota, and when other fans hear I cheer for Nebraska, the typical response is sincere sympathy these days. Sort of, ‘That sucks. Hang in there, man.’

It’s bad.

When this whole hire-fire cycle started 2 decades ago, there was this sort of entitled ‘We’re NEBRASKA!’ attitude. Multiple administrations didn’t really take into account that you can’t have a multi decade hire-fire pattern in a region without a natural recruiting base. We salted the earth, and the current generation of recruits doesn’t care about our history book glory.

With Solich, Callahan, Pelini—guys that get to that 9 win threshold—we should have been patient and tweaked things instead of burning everything to the ground each time. When we were finally patient it was with that worthless Frost who had a mindnumbingly stupid extension despite demonstrating only that he was a horrible coach that said dumb things during his time here.
100%...when i wear nebraska gear to bars people will come up and be like damn dude.....that sucks.

really not fun

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Nope, but what you are describing is an issue with locals and not liking the Big Ten not a Nebraska relevancy issue. North Dakota, Indiana and Purdue games were on BTN, the two Big Ten games were in prime time.
Agreed. But watching a AAC conference game over a "powerhouse" like nebraska regardless who they are playing? IDK man it just blows my mind people dont even talk about nebraska, i mean at all. I think we need to just restart and lose our ego as a fan base because down here i dont think anybody under the age of 40 cares about us and likely forgets we even exist.

And if the game is on...heads are not facing that way. No reaction to big plays. i mean they simply just dont care. I dont think its a big10 thing though because i see them glued to ohio state, penn state games and such. we just havent been relevant in 10+ years

LOL, literally 1 year is all it takes to turn this around. You people mope around here like there is no tomorrow and we should burn our husker gear. Yes, NU has been dealt multiple bad blows over several years. That does not mean someone (even Mickey) cant resurrect this mother f*cker in 1 year. There are literally dozens of examples of this every year. You know it, I know it.

LOL, literally 1 year is all it takes to turn this around. You people mope around here like there is no tomorrow and we should burn our husker gear. Yes, NU has been dealt multiple bad blows over several years. That does not mean someone (even Mickey) cant resurrect this mother f*cker in 1 year. There are literally dozens of examples of this every year. You know it, I know it.
Been telling myself this the last 15 years. Only gotten farther from it each year

100%...when i wear nebraska gear to bars people will come up and be like damn dude.....that sucks.

really not fun
Live in Dallas and used to wear a shirt on game day. Stopped two years ago because FHCSF put shit on the field and we continue to live with it.

I am hopeful TA will hire a clear top 20 HC not named MJ and next year we might field a team that is fundamentally sound and tough.

If Tennessee can come back and be at the top of the college football world. Nebraska sure can too. Tennessee has been doing the exact same shit as we have for 2 decades and they finally got their guy and are having success. We can do it. We just got to find the right guy. The night is darkest just before the dawn. I promise you the dawn is coming.

I was back in Lincoln for the Illinois game, and I visited my buddies tailgate who has been down there for years. I couldn’t believe it. Compared to everything I remember, there was a very small amount of fans tailgating. My buddy told me it’s been getting slower and slower over the past 4 years. I was so bummed about it.

TA has a big task here, and that’s one of the reasons he may go big name. Not b/c of tailgating obviously. I hate to think about it. But people will stop coming eventually.

Been telling myself this the last 15 years. Only gotten farther from it each year
This. The deep cynicism that has set in will be hard to shake.

Our identity was and should be mobile quarterbacks, having a run heavy offense, and having a stout defense. We need a coach who understands that identity and is a great recruiter.

They can’t sh*t on us with another Mike Riley sort of hire. People won’t stand for it.

Last edited:
I was back in Lincoln for the Illinois game, and I visited my buddies tailgate who has been down there for years. I couldn’t believe it. Compared to everything I remember, there was a very small amount of fans tailgating. My buddy told me it’s been getting slower and slower over the past 4 years. I was so bummed about it.

TA has a big task here, and that’s one of the reasons he may go big name. Not b/c of tailgating obviously. I hate to think about it. But people will stop coming eventually.
To have enthusiastic fans you at least need a reason for hope if not results. We have neither, presently.

To have enthusiastic fans you at least need a reason for hope if not results. We have neither, presently.

it was unreal, Clevinger. Beautiful day, top 25 opponent. No buzz. That’s why there’s a part of me that wouldn’t be surprised to see Trev do anything to pull urban Meyer. He knows what’s at stake. And I’m not trying to sound dramatic, it’s just what I saw last week.

If Tennessee can come back and be at the top of the college football world. Nebraska sure can too. Tennessee has been doing the exact same shit as we have for 2 decades and they finally got their guy and are having success. We can do it. We just got to find the right guy. The night is darkest just before the dawn. I promise you the dawn is coming.
It’s been a really long night, lol.

Reactions: BleedRed78
it was unreal, Clevinger. Beautiful day, top 25 opponent. No buzz. That’s why there’s a part of me that wouldn’t be surprised to see Trev do anything to pull urban Meyer. He knows what’s at stake. And I’m not trying to sound dramatic, it’s just what I saw last week.
Fans are apathetic. Look at this board. Posting is way down. Part of that being Husker Online's split from Rivals but a big part is because we flat out stink. For Pete's sake theres a large contingency of fans that believe the best we can do is a guy that has never been more than a wide receiver coach. Mickey is not a serious candidate for any Power 5 jobs other than this one. I wish him nothing but success to end the year and, in the future, wherever he may be. But he is not qualified to lead this program.

Trev better be poaching a current Power 5 head coach. I'm late 20s. The first season I really remember as a kid was Frank's last year. I remember bits and pieces of Eric Crouch as a kid. Every fan under 32 has no recollection of this program being relevant. This program is 5.5 feet in the ground right now and time is lowering us deeper and deeper into the ground. This has to work. Or Memorial stadium will be hosting Ultimate Frisbee on Fall Saturdays in the 2030s.

Fans are apathetic. Look at this board. Posting is way down. Part of that being Husker Online's split from Rivals but a big part is because we flat out stink. For Pete's sake theres a large contingency of fans that believe the best we can do is a guy that has never been more than a wide receiver coach. Mickey is not a serious candidate for any Power 5 jobs other than this one. I wish him nothing but success to end the year and, in the future, wherever he may be. But he is not qualified to lead this program.

Trev better be poaching a current Power 5 head coach. I'm late 20s. The first season I really remember as a kid was Frank's last year. I remember bits and pieces of Eric Crouch as a kid. Every fan under 32 has no recollection of this program being relevant. This program is 5.5 feet in the ground right now and time is lowering us deeper and deeper into the ground. This has to work. Or Memorial stadium will be hosting Ultimate Frisbee on Fall Saturdays in the 2030s.
Great post. Was crazy to me. We got there 2.5 hours before kickoff and found free parking in 5 minutes.

We may be on the same path as the likes of Minnesota who after a few decades of high level success fell off and never got off the mat to obtain any degree of relevancy

our success has been greater than minnesota and more sustained - but the fall off may be similar

I hope our kids - grandkids - great grand kids etc don’t forever categorize Nebraska with the Minnesota’s - Iowa’s (which to them may seem pretty good) rather than with the elites

I met a friend at Crescent Moon last Saturday, and I had to request the game be put on at 3pm… that was a wake up call

If this next hire is as bad as the last two, I'm done with this program. I'll follow a team that actually wants to win... probably Alabama. Life's too short to be yanked around with empty promises.

This. The deep cynicism that has set in will be hard to shake.

Our identity was and should be mobile quarterbacks, having a run heavy offense, and having a stout defense. We need a coach who understands that identity and is a great recruiter.

They can’t sh*t on us with another Mike Riley sort of hire. People won’t stand for it.
Painful. Sweet baby Jesus, Still can’t believe the Riley hire happened……

5) Les Miles, B-, Kansas, FIRED due to past descressions at LSU...
9) Mel Tucker, C-, Colorado, No longer there (Maybe fired at MSU)

How many coaches with abysmal records as a HC end up doing extremely well? None on that list.

Locksley on this list had an 8% win pct. before being hired on at Maryland and 3 years later has a 41% win pct. That's atrocious.

How much did Locksley's agent pay Maryland's coaching search services?

ADVERTISEMENT