ADVERTISEMENT

So, Is Malik N or what?

I that happens- fandamntastic. But what that would be the opposite of what we've seen. Based on the last 10 years, I would say that (1) the young high upside guys get no reps in practice and consequently fail to learn a complicated passing system and (2) the offensive line gets exposed in passing situations since the new OC insists on blocking with five while sending out 4-5 WRs with a QB who only has time to make one read anyway.
Hate to break it to ya, that's just football nowadays. I'm actually surprised there aren't even MORE air raid teams then there already is.

The reality is that there are far more receivers and dbs available in recruiting and the portal then there are any other position (quantity AND quality even?)

The games getting speedier and more nimble, and less gritty tough. Kids believe the passing game and spread to be more fun and worth the effort than the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust. "Basketball on turf"...

Not saying that's what Rhule is doing. But if you can take a bunch of dudes at skill position and luck out on more hits then misses vs less available QUALITY big guys, wouldn't that be smart?

That way when we line up in 21 personnel, we have two legit threats in the outside. That threat literally CREATES the run game from there.

I do love me some quality air raid though...RIP Pirate...

I that happens- fandamntastic. But what that would be the opposite of what we've seen. Based on the last 10 years, I would say that (1) the young high upside guys get no reps in practice and consequently fail to learn a complicated passing system and (2) the offensive line gets exposed in passing situations since the new OC insists on blocking with five while sending out 4-5 WRs with a QB who only has time to make one read anyway.
Well hopefully Rhule is nothing like the last 10 years. That's the whole point of hiring him right?

Wherever he plays, our ratio of offensive linemen to other skill positions must be the worst in the Big 10.
We have 15 scholarship lineman and likely 16 after weekend. In perfect world we would have around 18-19. Are biggest issue is quality not total numbers.

Additionally, we will need to process 11 to 12 by fall and I a willing to bet most if them come from QB, WR and DB room so guessing roster looks much more balanced in fall

Well hopefully Rhule is nothing like the last 10 years. That's the whole point of hiring him right?
I expect to have quality and appropriate numbers at all positions because we finally have a qualified P5 coach.

It is also much easier to run ball if opposing teams fear your WR's so I am glad to see them get some elite athletes in Coleman, Betts and Hornsby to go with two solid P5 RBs.

Now just have to figure out how to be serviceable at tackle and offense will have a chance.

We have 15 scholarship lineman and likely 16 after weekend. In perfect world we would have around 18-19. Are biggest issue is quality not total
So 15 offensive linemen for five starting positions and 15 or more WRs for two starting positions? And we play in the Big 10?

On a side issue, those young speedsters will never develop unless they get A LOT of reps and attention ON the practice field. And actual live scrimmage action. Is that even possible if our high upside freshmen WR are 6th or 7th string?

So 15 offensive linemen for five starting positions and 15 or more WRs for two starting positions? And we play in the Big 10?

On a side issue, those young speedsters will never develop unless they get A LOT of reps and attention ON the practice field. And actual live scrimmage action. Is that even possible if our high upside freshmen WR are 6th or 7th string?
No way Coleman is 6th or 7th string..Would think he will be one of the top 4 after the spring..

For all the hype about running the football the apparent fascination with recruiting receivers is somewhat puzzling.
I'm supportive of the new staff, but I'm a bit jaded from past coaching staffs (especially Frost) that said they were going to do something and then did the opposite.

As for the WRs... In Coleman and Hill alone, you have two guys who should play next year. They need REPS. Washington, Brown, Betts... it's pretty easy to find two starters. Then add in Hill and Coleman. Get their asses on the field. If Coleman isn't ready to play because Castanada and the fifth year backup from Baylor got reps ahead of him, that's dumb. Hell, they are still trying to add more bodies. Hornsby? The unsigned three star from Tennessee?

And keep in mind that a 24 year old first year coach is going to deal with all of this....

Reactions: scarletred
Everyone ringing their hands about too many WRs didn't listen to Rhule. He told us in the beginning that he was going to be recruiting speedy athletes and then have them play in various positions. One of the staff called it a "position-less" type of scheme. Now you can agree or disagree with that strategy as an armchair QB/fan BUT it should be no surprise. Rhule is doing exactly as he promised to do.

In a perfect world you would be at about 4 guys per position. With offensive line many guys can effectively play multiple positions so you don't quite need the full 20 where a position like QB/RB cannot be swapped so you do.

I think 18 with 4-6 preferred walkons (oline is a position where you can actually find developmental guys, then use Nil to cover school costs). I would add that that if we were certain Prochazka was healthy and Corcoran/Benhart had show any potential at this point to play anywhere near level of there rankings coming out of highschool we would not be having this conversation. I addition, I believe that we would have took Rouse and the Uconn kid along with this Georgia kid had we won all the battles so I think a real coach like Rhule will get that number up to atleast 18 and keep it there along with truly developing the preferred walkons.

As for WR, much easier to find guys you think might be able to play. Then you have spring practice and bottom guys will separate out and be processed and we will end up with around 11 guys at WR and 5 TE's or 16 considering that we will almost always have a combination of 4 WR/TE on the field to roughly hit that 16 scholarships for a balanced roster. Again, I see all the WR additions as Rhule be a professional at his job. Take everywhere you think can help and then process it down to 85 with following tools

1. Some guys just won't want to be her and will leave on there own
2. Tell guys they are not good enough and will never play a down and that you can help them find a good spot to play (almost everyone a coach honestly tells that too will take coach up on offer and leave on there own)
3. Put guys on medical that fit that criteria and cannot help you on field

Managing the roster is much easier than folks think if you have an adult like Rhule running the show and are willing to have a few unpleasant but honest conversations.

Not the size of the wand but the magic in it
Like that
I'm supportive of the new staff, but I'm a bit jaded from past coaching staffs (especially Frost) that said they were going to do something and then did the opposite.

As for the WRs... In Coleman and Hill alone, you have two guys who should play next year. They need REPS. Washington, Brown, Betts... it's pretty easy to find two starters. Then add in Hill and Coleman. Get their asses on the field. If Coleman isn't ready to play because Castanada and the fifth year backup from Baylor got reps ahead of him, that's dumb. Hell, they are still trying to add more bodies. Hornsby? The unsigned three star from Tennessee?

And keep in mind that a 24 year old first year coach is going to deal with all of this....
dont borrow trouble… each day has enough of its own….

Reactions: BleedRed78

The WR’s will work themselves out. Several will move on after the Spring

Last edited:
Everyone ringing their hands about too many WRs didn't listen to Rhule. He told us in the beginning that he was going to be recruiting speedy athletes and then have them play in various positions. One of the staff called it a "position-less" type of scheme. Now you can agree or disagree with that strategy as an armchair QB/fan BUT it should be no surprise. Rhule is doing exactly as he promised to do.

Yep, some will play DB and some will play running back IMO.

Reactions: timnsun
WRs are a unique position. Guy can't consistently catch but is fast and can see holes? Put him at RB. Guy cannot catch or see holes? Put him at safety or CB. Also depending on the WR one might be able to play the rover position if he has the instincts for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT