ADVERTISEMENT

Slap on the wrist for Michigan

I find it bizarre that Stalion got hired in the first place (by Michigan) with no previous experience, no connections, no ins with the coaching staff, only a rabid Michigan fan! What were his qualifications? HIs Football attributes? Not a donor, not a player, not a coach, at best an analyst or tape jockey. He had a purpose, a mission and a goal. Unfortunately, he got caught up in a scheme and didn't work out. He got caught and Michigan football staff was right there with him benefiting from the outcome!

This was a smart move, a punishment that is not really a punishment.

This is like punishing the nerd and telling him he can't take a date to the prom. Now, I know most of us here think that going to the prom alone, not getting drunk and not ****ing is normal, it is not.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I find it bizarre that Stalion got hired in the first place (by Michigan) with no previous experience, no connections, no ins with the coaching staff, only a rabid Michigan fan! What were his qualifications? HIs Football attributes? Not a donor, not a player, not a coach, at best an analyst or tape jockey. He had a purpose, a mission and a goal. Unfortunately, he got caught up in a scheme and didn't work out. He got caught and Michigan football staff was right there with him benefiting from the outcome!
He was a disposable stooge ftom the start, and ended up playing that role very well for Harbaugh,

Yeah I’m surprised too. This is going to make it tough for them to close out the season the way they want. I’m no Harbaugh fan boy but this is a tougher deal than some think for their team. I’ll be surprised if they make the playoff if this suspension holds up. It’s probably a just result if he doesn’t get a shot at a title this year.

Really? I thought just the opposite. Maybe the distraction of everything will have an impact, or maybe not having the other team's signs. But not actually having a head coach on a sideline for a game seems like it could have very little impact. The hard work is done by the time the game kicks off. The coordinators and assistants mostly do everything anyway. What's the head coach really bringing to the table during that 3.5 hours? A motivational speech or 2 here and there? A few decisions here and there that most anyone would have made? The impact of a head coach is MUCH bigger for all the other facets of the week/season/year and he's still in place for all that. Not to mention, they've already had a 3 game practice run to prepare for this exact scenario. Punishment seems like the harshest optics with the weakest actual impact they could have picked to me.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
Really? I thought just the opposite. Maybe the distraction of everything will have an impact, or maybe not having the other team's signs. But not actually having a head coach on a sideline for a game seems like it could have very little impact. The hard work is done by the time the game kicks off. The coordinators and assistants mostly do everything anyway. What's the head coach really bringing to the table during that 3.5 hours? A motivational speech or 2 here and there? A few decisions here and there that most anyone would have made? The impact of a head coach is MUCH bigger for all the other facets of the week/season/year and he's still in place for all that. Not to mention, they've already had a 3 game practice run to prepare for this exact scenario. Punishment seems like the harshest optics with the weakest actual impact they could have picked to me.
In game decisions and coaching are still very important. Making clock management, 4th down and field goal decisions can change an outcome.

In game decisions and coaching are still very important. Making clock management, 4th down and field goal decisions can change an outcome.
It sure can be BUT if your OC/DC are on the same page as the HC it doesn't matter as much.

I used to turn over defensive play calling to a guy on my staff, sort of to help him move up and because it was fun for me.

I would basically never blitz, the second he would start calling plays we would bring sooooo much pressure, it was so funny.

It depends how close these games are. I wouldn't put it past Michigan to just have Harbaugh on the phone with someone on the sideline. Someone could just have an airbud in their ear with a stocking hat over it and Harbaugh telling them what to relay. Not calling plays but giving input.

It sure can be BUT if your OC/DC are on the same page as the HC it doesn't matter as much.

I used to turn over defensive play calling to a guy on my staff, sort of to help him move up and because it was fun for me.

I would basically never blitz, the second he would start calling plays we would bring sooooo much pressure, it was so funny.
Between todays game at PSU and the upcoming OSU game those decisions are going to be magnified for guys not used to making major game management decisions. Maybe it doesn’t matter now but I thought Michigan struggled with some of that during his earlier suspension.

Reactions: BTF69
Between todays game at PSU and the upcoming OSU game those decisions are going to be magnified for guys not used to making major game management decisions. Maybe it doesn’t matter now but I thought Michigan struggled with some of that during his earlier suspension.
It's puts a lot of pressure on whoever takes over those in-game decisions. They are going to take a lot of heat if Michgian loses because lord knows they won't blame the weirdo who wears khakis.

Top Kong, hate telling you Meechigan been 4.5 the majority of the week..

Like most on here have pointed out, I think this is last hurrah in Ann Arbor and will be picked up by some NFL team..

I agree wholeheartedly. I just don't think Harbaugh (or any head coach) has some magic wand for those things that other coaches don't. Or not for much of it anyway. Hell, most casual fans can make 99% of those decisions from their couch. Vast majority are pretty obvious and the ones that aren't surely have input from the analytics guys.

I agree wholeheartedly. I just don't think Harbaugh (or any head coach) has some magic wand for those things that other coaches don't. Or not for much of it anyway. Hell, most casual fans can make 99% of those decisions from their couch. Vast majority are pretty obvious and the ones that aren't surely have input from the analytics guys.
4th down gut feel decisions and clock management are possibly the biggest ones.

Yeah, fair point. It might get a little overwhelming I guess. Still, most of it isn't rocket surgery.

That is a good question. Maybe they knew they could use him. Clearly they were paying him for that 50K a year.

This thread shows how corrupt sports are now and will continue to be. Apparently if you cheat it's fine, you still can win titles.

This thread shows how corrupt sports are now and will continue to be. Apparently if you cheat it's fine, you still can win titles.
It’s been going on for 60 years in college football. I think the moral compass has been pointed at “it ain’t cheating if you don’t get caught”. OU, UT, SMU, Auburn, FSU, UF etc etc. Take your pick. We had the squeakiest clean head coach possible for 30 years and there were still probably some extra benefits happening after guys got on campus.

Top Kong, hate telling you Meechigan been 4.5 the majority of the week..

Like most on here have pointed out, I think this is last hurrah in Ann Arbor and will be picked up by some NFL team..

Harbaugh will sign a new deal with Michigan the week of the Ohio State game.

He may end up in the NFL, but I don't think it will be next year.

The rest of the world’s reaction to Michigan’s threats…

Brady Bunch K GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT