ADVERTISEMENT

Slap on the wrist for Michigan

Harbaugh can’t coach last three games, but he can be at practices. So says the B1G

Desmond Howard is right. No big time league is going to pound its premier team into the dust. This is the conference’s way of appearing to do something when it is in reality doing nothing.
Are there rule/regulations precluding him from wearing a headset and coaching from the locker room?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Harbaugh can’t coach last three games, but he can be at practices. So says the B1G

Desmond Howard is right. No big time league is going to pound its premier team into the dust. This is the conference’s way of appearing to do something when it is in reality doing nothing.
More then the NCAA will do. And Michigan is really upset. So I love it.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It seems fair to me — as a B1G penalty until glacial NCAA speaks. But NCAA still hasn’t spoken re the 2020 recruiting violations that Michigan hopes to duck by keeping him out of the three cupcake NC games this year.

Just watch the Michigan alums like Desmond Howard and Rich Eisen cry foul as will our “beloved Steve Sipple” who has been yelling about due process. (Due process like Harbaugh has received for the three year old violations!)

BTW, if you are interested you can find accounts of the B1G letter to Michigan today announcing the penalty and refuting their Nov 8 response to the B1G. Essentially the B1G letter today notes that Michigan was well aware of their cheating and didn’t even bother to deny it, but instead tried to hide behind deflections and legal technicalities. What a bunch of bums, especially their AD and President.

As fans we would have liked more concrete penalties but this is a remarkable rebuke of Michigan. They should be humiliated at a minimum and remember that they think of themselves as a Harvard of the Midwest.

This is as it should be. Not a Michigan fan, but it’s not just Michigan, and everyone know this. Go digital and end the problem. Easy fix, and we don’t need a scapegoat. Sox shouldn’t to have had given up a season because of Cora being Adjacent.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce1981
It seems fair to me — as a B1G penalty until glacial NCAA speaks. But NCAA still hasn’t spoken re the 2020 recruiting violations that Michigan hopes to duck by keeping him out of the three cupcake NC games this year.

Just watch the Michigan alums like Desmond Howard and Rich Eisen cry foul as will our “beloved Steve Sipple” who has been yelling about due process. (Due process like Harbaugh has received for the three year old violations!)
Yeah, that darn due process.

so i should assume the big ten is ok with their teams cheating. I'll assume all future big ten outcomes are tainted, can't watch cheater leagues. I'm not interested in Russian StarCraft either.

so i should assume the big ten is ok with their teams cheating. I'll assume all future big ten outcomes are tainted, can't watch cheater leagues. I'm not interested in Russian StarCraft either.
If Michigan had an ethical AD and President they would can Harbaugh after the B1G letter to them today. But they don’t. Instead those two are his abettors and were called out by the B1G for not even disputing the cheating in favor of deflecting and threatening legal action. So I don’t know what more could be expected of the B1G. Short of kicking them out of the conference, I am satisfied.

But if you think Penn State has taken a long time to deflect the Pedo State nickname, just watch how this turns out. In five or ten years fan bases will still be calling them out as cheaters who were caught red-handed twice in three years.

surprised it was this heavy, even if it is fake.
Yeah I’m surprised too. This is going to make it tough for them to close out the season the way they want. I’m no Harbaugh fan boy but this is a tougher deal than some think for their team. I’ll be surprised if they make the playoff if this suspension holds up. It’s probably a just result if he doesn’t get a shot at a title this year.

I hear ya penny...but, I also think its the only option B1G had. What else could have been levied without including punishment on the players?

Lots of buzz that they did nothing wrong and shouldn't suffer for someone else's actions. Not saying its right or wrong, only that many feel this way.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I hear ya penny...but, I also think its the only option B1G had. What else could have been levied without including punishment on the players?

Lots of buzz that they did nothing wrong and shouldn't suffer for someone else's actions. Not saying its right or wrong, only that many feel this way.
the players had to know to some degree what was going on. That said, the players are always the ones who get shafted when something like this happens. IF I’m one of their commits I’m checking out other options.

Lol.. guys this is just the beginning
Elaborate, please.

If you mean watch what the NCAA does, I won’t count on much happening -- and if does, it could be dragged on several more years like the COVID recruiting year cheating. If you mean watch what happens to Harbaugh‘s coaching plans I am not sure he won’t retire at Michigan. He’s TO’s age when he retired. As for the NFL: The NFL has only 32 HC jobs and it seems he hasn’t been widely sought after in recent years.

Reactions: huntered
Intention is likely to make the last three games tough to win without head chief cheater man.

They lose, this matters less and resolves itself over time for the betterment of the game (shift toward headsets).

But if they win... Yikes. Either it's bad for MeCheatin like many of us want to see, or it's nothing and the game in general becomes potentially fatally compromised.

Will be interesting to see play out!

Reactions: dinglefritz

Can/should the conference do anything during an ongoing investigation? I think this is premature and will lead to lawsuit and in the end case thrown out and nothing happens. TOTAL BS

So what we’re saying is had Michigan cheated and lost any of those bigger games there probably would have been no sanctions! I actually didn’t think the spy gate was a big thing, but for Michigan to come out and say no coaches or players knew about it is a bold face lie! Unless they’ve been doing it all along. How do you coach a player to watch the sideline for the signals, and not explain the need to change your procedure because you have better information on what they might run. How do you explain the need for an unknown analyst to be right next to the coordinators on the sideline The cover up is worse than the crime. You expect that if Nebraska, Iowa, or Northwestern did the same thing they would only get a three game suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntered
Cmon. That’s not necessary. Please edit or delete that.

Last edited:
The big ten is protecting michigan and the ncaa with this “punishment”. It sounds like a lot but in reality is a fake punishment.
Jim doesnt call plays for O or D. By gametime, his job is done. He doesn't do any actual coaching on gameday, or at least not anything someone else could do.
By gameday the hay is in the barn.

NCAA is protected because they can act like michigan already got enought punishment.

The bigger question is are they still cheating or have they stopped? That’d hurt them worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT