ADVERTISEMENT

SI - Iowa

What if the same thing happened here and kids started making complaints against a coach. Would you want SF fired because of it? For the vast majority, I think they'd side with SF over a few players.

Maybe so, but I would think most would want Duval gone, if he was accused of similar incidents as Doyle. Also, 20+ players is not a "few".

Reactions: timnsun
If the accounts are legitimate, then no one is above the law. But your job isn’t to decide legitimacy. You don’t get to call it a bunch of crap.

I’m not advocating that Ferentz should be fired. All I’m saying is that a lot of people have come forward to complain. Their voices should be heard and not thrown out as meaningless drivel from jilted former players like you are doing.
I can call it whatever I want. Only a few of the accounts are actually serious and might warrant firing of the assistant coach. However right now the allegations are completely unverified, so I don't want someone fired when we don't know if there is truth to the claims or not.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
Maybe so, but I would think most would want Duval gone, if he was accused of similar incidents as Doyle. Also, 20+ players is not a "few".
If we had one of the best strength coaches in the country who can take borderline walk on prospects and turn them into first round draft picks, I doubt we would be so quick to try to cast him out.

Reactions: red scowl
If we had one of the best strength coaches in the country who can take borderline walk on prospects and turn them into first round draft picks, I doubt we would be so quick to try to cast him out.

I disagree. 20+ allegations and counting is not "so quick". Also, our current strength coach was the National Strength Coach of the Year in 2017.

doesn't mean anything when our 'leaders' are allowed to skip the weight room

I can call it whatever I want. Only a few of the accounts are actually serious and might warrant firing of the assistant coach. However right now the allegations are completely unverified, so I don't want someone fired when we don't know if there is truth to the claims or not.
Again, let me be clear. I am not calling for Kirk to be fired. I think Doyle is gone already, not because I want him fired, but the horse is out of the barn too far and he won’t last.

I agree the claims haven’t been verified. But that doesn’t automatically make them baseless claims from former disgruntled players like you want to claim. We will know soon enough whether the administration believes the claims have merit. Let the process play out before saying the claims are baseless from a few disgruntled players. No need to downplay it.

"Hello, this is Iowa 9-1-1, what is the nature of your emergency?"

"Uh, yes, this is Nebraska fan, I'd like to report a missing person. Iowa fan has disappeared off the face of the earth. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one on our message board last week, and now there's not one to be found."

"Sir, we've had several reports on this and have done a wellness check. They're all safe and sound in their Mama's basement."

"Oh, okay, I was just worried, bye."

"Uh, yes, this is Nebraska fan, I'd like to report a missing person. Iowa fan has disappeared off the face of the earth. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one on our message board last week, and now there's not one to be found."

"Sir, we've had several reports on this and have done a wellness check. They're all safe and sound in their Mama's basement."

Wow... about as well played as I’ve ever seen!

post of the week, at least

There it is, the dumbest thing I'll see today.

Ok, ok....it's dumb of me to say that the Left uses false allegations of racism for political gain. They would never do that. Kavanaugh drank too much beer one night in college and raped a woman too. And yes, it's the coaches and conservatives who want players suspended immediately upon allegation. It's not the left-wing administrations. How dumb of me to think otherwise.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Ok, ok....it's dumb of me to say that the Left uses false allegations of racism for political gain. They would never do that. Kavanaugh drank too much beer one night in college and raped a woman too. And yes, it's the coaches and conservatives who want players suspended immediately upon allegation. It's not the left-wing administrations. How dumb of me to think otherwise.
Are you blind or just an asshole?

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/hol-is-now-a-politics-free-site.267999/

Scram, bonehead.

Guess I misunderstood you... I thought you were saying it was all lies that the former players were speaking. Had no idea you were making a general statement about politics. My bad.

Reactions: JStandefer

Kurt Ferentz is 65. Doyle has been with him 21 years. I think Doyle is a big part of Iowa's success. You dont throw that away, when nobody comes forward.

It's clearly a nationwide political movement. With false allegations of racism being one of the main tactics. The LEFT is why we have automatic suspensions of players upon accusation. But now they spin it like he was kicked-out by racist white conservatives. It's all lies.
Who is the LEFT? That usage is no more accurate than calling those with conservative views, the Fascists.....Can't we quit using labels to disparage and simply look for solutions. I call that PRAGMATIC...
The U.S. is so divided because of leaders, BOTH parties, demonizing each other and the lemmings of BOTH parties don't seem able to think for themselves. Can't wait for football to distract us...

I disagree. 20+ allegations and counting is not "so quick". Also, our current strength coach was the National Strength Coach of the Year in 2017.
When you've been the same place for 20 years, it's pretty easy to pile on the guy if you had even the slightest beef with him. Most of the allegations aren't even serious and there's no way to prove they are racist. Only a few of the allegations are actually troublesome and if true could get the coach fired because of racist statements. I doubt Iowa is the only place where this has happened. It just as easy could be Nebraska where this sort of thing could happen.

I hadn't seen that one. Dude needs to be fired. I thought the players were being soft, but the more I read, the more I see I was wrong.

He didn’t actually say “the ghetto.” He said “Glenville,” which the player interpreted as “the ghetto.” Not defending Doyle here. No reason to foster an environment where guys don’t feel safe, but this incident doesn’t have me clutching my pearls.

“Morrow told ESPN that the incident with Doyle happened during a team workout in January 2009. Morrow said he had been fighting a stomach virus and felt dizzy, so an athletic trainer told him he could ride a stationary bike.

According to Morrow, Doyle ordered him to return to the workout, saying, "You don't deserve to be on the bike."

Morrow got off the bike to speak with Doyle, who, according to Morrow, began a "verbal assault, mother-F'ing me down," and questioning Morrow's toughness.

"After a while, I start firing back. I definitely gave him an F-bomb, like, 'F you, who are you?'" Morrow said. "We're going back and forth. I never said anything racial but it was definitely a verbal altercation, we got face-to-face. That's when he said, 'F--- you, I'll send your ass back to Glenville.' He was insinuating that he'd send me back to where he would always joke about -- the hood, the ghetto. That's what he would always say."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...d-2009-altercation-strength-coach-chris-doyle

He didn’t actually say “the ghetto.” He said “Glenville,” which the player interpreted as “the ghetto.” Not defending Doyle here. No reason to foster an environment where guys don’t feel safe, but this incident doesn’t have me clutching my pearls.

“Morrow told ESPN that the incident with Doyle happened during a team workout in January 2009. Morrow said he had been fighting a stomach virus and felt dizzy, so an athletic trainer told him he could ride a stationary bike.

According to Morrow, Doyle ordered him to return to the workout, saying, "You don't deserve to be on the bike."

Morrow got off the bike to speak with Doyle, who, according to Morrow, began a "verbal assault, mother-F'ing me down," and questioning Morrow's toughness.

"After a while, I start firing back. I definitely gave him an F-bomb, like, 'F you, who are you?'" Morrow said. "We're going back and forth. I never said anything racial but it was definitely a verbal altercation, we got face-to-face. That's when he said, 'F--- you, I'll send your ass back to Glenville.' He was insinuating that he'd send me back to where he would always joke about -- the hood, the ghetto. That's what he would always say."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...d-2009-altercation-strength-coach-chris-doyle

It's not bootcamp. Much different expectations.

In this case? So the free speech we are protecting here is "Send you back to the ghetto"?
After a while, I start firing back. I definitely gave him an F-bomb, like, 'F you, who are you?'" Morrow said. "We're going back and forth. I never said anything racial but it was definitely a verbal altercation, we got face-to-face. That's when he said, 'F--- you, I'll send your ass back to Glenville.'

Nice try bud, espn already busted him for lying.

After a while, I start firing back. I definitely gave him an F-bomb, like, 'F you, who are you?'" Morrow said. "We're going back and forth. I never said anything racial but it was definitely a verbal altercation, we got face-to-face. That's when he said, 'F--- you, I'll send your ass back to Glenville.'

He is a representative of the University of Iowa? You walk away from that and explain your expectations the next day.

Reactions: HuskerPam

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

giphy.gif

I gotta say, watching all of the Iowa fans come out of the woodwork and call these players liars is pretty telling of that fan base. 20 years of the “Iowa Way”, which we know now was a pretty bad culture, has rolled its way down to the fan base. Listening to Des Moines radio yesterday, these guys don’t even think this is a big deal because they can’t look at it objectively.

whether we like it or not, this will be a massive black eye on Ferentz’s career at Iowa.

The fact of the matter is every NCAA sports team men or women has exposure right now if they have African Americans on the team. Agree with it or not, everything is being relooked at, even 50 years ago. An act you could have thought was motivation may now be considered racism and you will be doxxed. This is a mess and the goalposts are being moved so much it is sickening.

We should have learned lessons from the Floyd killing. I think 99% of America agrees this was a heinous murder, but from there everything has gone off the rails and is no longer about George Floyd.

How is that obvious?

The way the stories are told. A few little irrelevant smears that might be somewhat true, mixed in to confuse...and then the big lies. For instance....notice how that top receiver who got suspended never said WHO suspended him. It wasn't Ferentz. It was the left-wing administration. But he takes cheap-shots at Ferentz, and then says he got suspended because of racism.

The way the stories are told. A few little irrelevant smears that might be somewhat true, mixed in to confuse...and then the big lies. For instance....notice how that top receiver who got suspended never said WHO suspended him. It wasn't Ferentz. It was the left-wing administration. But he takes cheap-shots at Ferentz, and then says he got suspended because of racism.

Absolutely. Doyle should be gone. There is hardworking, physically and mentally tough football culture and then there’s bullying. Hopefully he serves as an example to coaches who talk glowingly about the days when players would ridicule or beat their teammate up for wearing a hoodie.

lol....the deflections by Iowa fans are hilarious...what a trash fan base...RollingLaugh

giphy.gif

Bullying in 2020 means I got my feelings hurt and now I have to completely destroy the person who did it and kill all their future earnings.

I think there’s a little truth here. I listen to Damon Benning all the time and he talks about practices in the 90’s where guys would beat the living shit out of each other and the coaches would let them sort it out on their own. That’s completely unheard of these days. But I also think guys are coming from, in Iowa’s case, New Jersey, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. It’s the coach’s job to make them feel at home while simultaneously challenging them.

And I’m gonna bow out, because this isn’t really a Nebraska related issue (though it sounds like what’s been going on at Iowa is EXACTLY what Jay Foreman, Damon Benning, and callers into that show have been demanding in Lincoln for years now), but I’ll say that many of the former players criticizing Doyle also say they wouldn’t be where they are without him. Lots of guys in the NFL that had MAC offers that were pushed to their limit under Doyle that are now counting their millions. So how do you want it? Incredibly strict and hard nosed culture where the weakest links are shown the door, or relaxed and enjoyable and everyone is welcome? The answer is probably in the middle somewhere, but good luck finding many people in major college football who can successfully walk that line. What do you want? Bo Pelini or Mike Reilly? Chris Doyle or the guy whose workouts were voluntary a few years ago at Nebraska?

Ya better pick and choose.....am I going to make a conscience decision to do business with people that can make anything up years later because they got their feelings hurt somehow, that will hurt me financially years later? Answer honestly now....cause that's where this is headed with a lot of people.

Will you please elaborate ... maybe give us some of your tips or tell-tale signs of who you deem to be more or less worthy of your business.

Last edited:

So your official position is this is fine and all these players are just making this up to pick on poor Doyle and lil Brian?

Something tells me the fan base trashing others over things like what a coach says a his press conference, how many offers a school gives out and how much crap they think opposing players talk might not have the same view if this was going down somewhere else.

And I’m gonna bow out, because this isn’t really a Nebraska related issue (though it sounds like what’s been going on at Iowa is EXACTLY what Jay Foreman, Damon Benning, and callers into that show have been demanding in Lincoln for years now), but I’ll say that many of the former players criticizing Doyle also say they wouldn’t be where they are without him. Lots of guys in the NFL that had MAC offers that were pushed to their limit under Doyle that are now counting their millions. So how do you want it? Incredibly strict and hard nosed culture where the weakest links are shown the door, or relaxed and enjoyable and everyone is welcome? The answer is probably in the middle somewhere, but good luck finding many people in major college football who can successfully walk that line. What do you want? Bo Pelini or Mike Reilly? Chris Doyle or the guy whose workouts were voluntary a few years ago at Nebraska?
Lol....I want Iowa football leaders to not be racist PsOS.....actually, I don’t care...I’m just enjoying the negative light shining on Iowa football as I know it drives Iowa fan nuts to have their “Iowa way” notion being blown to shit....

giphy.gif

Reactions: redinten
To all the Iowa fans defending their coaches to the Nth degree... be serious now. If this exact thing were happening in Lincoln instead of Iowa City, would you be over here telling us how this is all a bunch of lies and made up crap? Would you be defending Frost and Duval? Because it’s a load of crap you’re trying to sell here. No chance in hell you’d be over here defending our coaches like you are your own.

It’s embarrassing the way some of you are trying to defend the coaches here, blindly hearing account after account from former players and saying they didn’t happen...

Will you please elaborate ... maybe give us some of your tips or tell-tale signs so others can also avoid doing business with those people

Im genuinely interested in how the original poster and those who liked my post can tell who to do business with and who not to do business with ... again please elaborate with specifics

generally speaking, do business first with folks who are calvinistic in their theology and folks who grasp honest weights and scales...
avoid anything goes for a dollar ary rand types, and communist who covet others goods...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT