ADVERTISEMENT

School pride...

Jaemekon

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
Do your kids go to the same school you went to? Do you have pride in the school your kid/s go to? Do you follow the athletic teams of the school your kid goes to?

For me the answers are; no, my kids to go to school in Lincoln. No, all Lincoln schools are the same to me. And no, I couldn't tell you anything going on in class A athletics in general.

Does anyone else find it difficult to care about/get it involved in your kids' school? I did much more with my kids' schooling when we lived in Hastings and Columbus.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
You probably should move out of Lincoln. You are not happy. Find a place that fulfills your expectations of what life should be. Lincoln is clearly not it.

dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif

Reactions: cavalot
My son competes in a couple sports at a Lincoln school at a high level, he also is even more involved in band. It has been a ton of fun following his HS career and getting to know the kids at other schools and the competition between the kids/fan bases etc in Lincoln and Omaha. If your kid isnt involved in sports or other activities I could see how it would be hard to care. If they ARE involved and you still dont care, then I dont know what to tell you.

I went to class B in GI. I will say, class A is totally different. At least for us, the Lincoln system is a lot more hands off that what we grew up with in GI. Very little communication from the coaches, at times. Band and music on the other hand, is very organized, competitive and they seem to care a whole hell of a lot more than most the sports.

Reactions: Jaemekon
Are you the same person that decided that a couple of miles was just too far for your kid to travel for school given the heavy “traffic” in the “city” of lincoln?

If so … Perhaps it is time to relocate

My son competes in a couple sports at a Lincoln school at a high level, he also is even more involved in band. It has been a ton of fun following his HS career and getting to know the kids at other schools and the competition between the kids/fan bases etc in Lincoln and Omaha. If your kid isnt involved in sports or other activities I could see how it would be hard to care. If they ARE involved and you still dont care, then I dont know what to tell you.

I went to class B in GI. I will say, class A is totally different. At least for us, the Lincoln system is a lot more hands off that what we grew up with in GI. Very little communication from the coaches, at times. Band and music on the other hand, is very organized, competitive and they seem to care a whole hell of a lot more than most the sports.

Right on. My daughter played basketball and softball. I don't think she intends to continue though. I didn't really ever take the time to get to know the opponents, I've always been that way though.

I went to a c-2 and a c-1 school. Both seemed to have a lot of pride. I know what you mean by hands off, it all just seems to lack the personal experience. With the Lincoln schools, more likely just class A in general, it just seems so generic. It's hard to get excited when there isn't really anything that stands out about any of the schools. Lincoln school a, plays Lincoln school b, yippee. I don't like it, obviously.

Yea, southwest seems to take their band and other stuff seriously, I don't get into it, we didn't even have a high school band at my first school. Not enough interest from the students. But I get that some places it is bigger than others.

Are you the same person that decided that a couple of miles was just too far for your kid to travel for school given the heavy “traffic” in the “city” of lincoln?

If so … Perhaps it is time to relocate

Yea dude.

Yea dude.
Then I guess there are a few options

1. Relocate to a place that is more suited to your expectations and goals

2. Cope

You could also start a few more threads about your dissatisfaction with the Lincoln area - which in your world are valid - but certainly aren’t shared by many/most but in the end those all lead back to options 1 or 2 above

Then I guess there are a few options

1. Relocate to a place that is more suited to your expectations and goals

2. Cope

You could also start a few more threads about your dissatisfaction with the Lincoln area - which in your world are valid - but certainly aren’t shared by many/most but in the end those all lead back to options 1 or 2 above

Yea maybe.

Good luck.
To answer your question - yes there seems to be a larger sense of community/school pride in many smaller schools and towns

I agree. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just being an asshole.

You might like Gordon or Rushville. Nice and quiet out there. Stay out of White Clay!

I'm familiar. I don't need to go all the way out there. How is their school pride? I've never competed against or seen gordan rushville at an event.

Yes, I know to stay away from the bootlegged fire water.

I graduated from Norfolk Catholic where football rules. We had tons of school and community pride.
My daughter will be a freshman at Lincoln Southeast next year and feel the same vibe at LSE as we had at NCHS. I can't wait to don my LSE colors and look forward to supporting all LSE activities.
To OP's questions, perhaps it is what you make of it.

I reckon if its a job that's keeping you in Lincoln, maybe looking at the smaller towns just outside that would still be commutable: Norris, Palmyra, Wahoo, Raymond Central, Malcolm, Waverly, Ashland-Greenwood. This is assuming your kid is unhappy with the school too

I graduated from Norfolk Catholic where football rules. We had tons of school and community pride.
My daughter will be a freshman at Lincoln Southeast next year and feel the same vibe at LSE as we had at NCHS. I can't wait to don my LSE colors and look forward to supporting all LSE activities.

Yea maybe. Does southeast have 8th graders in their school? Maybe it's a Lincoln southwest issue. I went to one of their football games to try and get excited, but it was very bland.

I went to Adams central and cross county.

I reckon if its a job that's keeping you in Lincoln, maybe looking at the smaller towns just outside that would still be commutable: Norris, Palmyra, Wahoo, Raymond Central, Malcolm, Waverly, Ashland-Greenwood. This is assuming your kid is unhappy with the school too

She isn't. Tough to just bail on a 2.8% interest rate. Most places I look seem to be overpriced still.

I assume you have missed all my previous posts regarding commutes. Long story short, I despise commuting.

Reactions: NebChicago
To my knowledge all LPS schools have 9-12th on campus.

Keep in mind LSW and NorthStar are in the process of building traditions. Pretty easy to get excited when the school your children attend have long-standing traditions.

Keep in mind LSW and NorthStar are in the process of building traditions. Pretty easy to get excited when the school your children attend have long-standing traditions.

Haven't they been around for like 20 years already? How old is southeast?

Could also be that southwest doesn't have their own field.

Black and yellow is never a good look. Can she transfer to East? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: augdog2012
Haven't they been around for like 20 years already? How old is southeast?
Lincoln High was established in 1871, followed by Northeast in 1941, Southeast in 1955 and East in 1967. Southwest opened in 2002 and North Star in 2003. Northwest opened in 2022, and Standing Bear will open in 2023.

Last edited:
  • Love
Lincoln High was established in 1871, followed by Northeast in 1941, Southeast in 1955 and East in 1967. Southwest opened in 2002 and North Star in 2003. Northwest opened in 2022, and Standing Bear will open in 2023.

thank-you-saul-silver.gif

Do your kids go to the same school you went to? Do you have pride in the school your kid/s go to? Do you follow the athletic teams of the school your kid goes to?

For me the answers are; no, my kids to go to school in Lincoln. No, all Lincoln schools are the same to me. And no, I couldn't tell you anything going on in class A athletics in general.

Does anyone else find it difficult to care about/get it involved in your kids' school? I did much more with my kids' schooling when we lived in Hastings and Columbus.
if you can afford to do so, Lincoln has some pretty okay private schools. A lot less you need to be concerned about with your kids being messed with, and the student to teacher ratio is WAY better, and they'll be proportionally more directly involved.

Beyond that, a) hope for the best or b) agree with above posters, maybe consider moving into a better situation. That's what I did. Got the hell outta dodge awhile ago, and haven't regretted it for a second. If nothing else something that made/makes us both homicidal goes away - Lincoln, NE traffic. A billion roundabouts and mostly drivers who honestly shouldn't be allowed to drive... Think about YOUR quality of life with less traffic and all the brainless drivers intent on wrecking your day...

• Love
Grew up in a small town, class D1/C2. Loved it and I couldn't wait until Friday's so I could go to the football games so I could play endzone football & smear the queer with my friends. As I got older (5th grade or so) it was flirting with the girls. Basketball season was just as fun, hooting & hollering at home games, singing "na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye" when an opposing player fouled out. Just a ton of school pride, looked forward going to games, idolized the high schoolers and couldn't wait until I was a freshman so I could be on the team.

Now that I live in Omaha, we have no connection to any of the schools (no idea where we'll send our kids as they're still elementary age) and even if we did know, do people (other than family members of players) even go to the games? Do kids run around & play their own pick-up football games while the high school game is going on?

My oldest (9 yrs old) loves sports & I think he would really enjoy what I had growing up, but he'd be only kid out of his friends going. I don't think it's something people in Omaha do on Friday nights like they do in small towns. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Life is kind of what you make it. Will there be elementary aged kids playing football at a Lincoln or Omaha football game? Probably not. Will there be elementary school kids there? Probably.

My kids go to a different school then I went to. My kids are reaching the age of semi-organized sports. I started taking them to varsity games. They only have 1 other kid they know that goes to basketball games right now but I don't care. Gets them out of the house, exposed to sports, and the coaches eventually notice who is there.

I went to Lincoln High(also a JR high in Lincoln for a few years). It sucked. But then, school in general sucked for me by that time. I have fondness for my grade school in Flatrock NE, but thats about it.

Part of the charm of these small communities is that the proportion of students that can participate in extracurriculars is a lot larger than the bigger schools which broadens the support.

Much more competition for varsity spots in larger schools

Grew up in a small town, class D1/C2. Loved it and I couldn't wait until Friday's so I could go to the football games so I could play endzone football & smear the queer with my friends. As I got older (5th grade or so) it was flirting with the girls. Basketball season was just as fun, hooting & hollering at home games, singing "na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye" when an opposing player fouled out. Just a ton of school pride, looked forward going to games, idolized the high schoolers and couldn't wait until I was a freshman so I could be on the team.

Now that I live in Omaha, we have no connection to any of the schools (no idea where we'll send our kids as they're still elementary age) and even if we did know, do people (other than family members of players) even go to the games? Do kids run around & play their own pick-up football games while the high school game is going on?

My oldest (9 yrs old) loves sports & I think he would really enjoy what I had growing up, but he'd be only kid out of his friends going. I don't think it's something people in Omaha do on Friday nights like they do in small towns. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Do you still play smear the queer? An underrated game that should be brought back to elementary schools country wide.

Do you still play smear the queer? An underrated game that should be brought back to elementary schools country wide.
Indeed. A once time honored tradition now sadly forgotten.
My neighbors, particularly, had a colorful way of choosing sides for football. It was a nice little diddy. Something like eeny meeny miny mo, catch a.....and so on and so forth.
I think they need to be brought back. Hey lets get a game going. Half the fun is picking teams.

Quite some time ago I went to Lincoln High (yes, I am handy with a knife and a pistol).

My kids went to Lincoln Southwest. Although I did attend a few sporting event, I probably followed my alma mater a little more closely.

I think the dynamic is different now with basically open enrollment, whereas in my day you were locked into a school based on your geographic location in town. The school for most of the student body was a reflection of your socio-economic status. Basically creating gang turf rivalries. We hated other schools because perception was everything.

Now kids can essentially go where their friends go.

Last edited:
Grew up in Gretna when it was a small Class B. Now we’re in Platteview and love it. Gretna is way to big for my liking and I am hoping we are going to be in front of the wave that will eventually hit Platteview.

I coach my kids in their youth sports and most of the kids are the same every year. It reminds me of my childhood. Playing with my buddies all the way from elementary through high school. It’s been a great experience so far. We’ve been able to make a nice community with sports, school, church and the like.

We go to some of the high school events now. We will go to more as the kids get older. But since I’d like to keep the school small (nothing like shutting the door behind you), Platteview sucks. We hate it. Don’t come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT