ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule the Big 8

FreddyUI

Sep 16, 2016
Omaha
I have lived in Omaha for 26 + years and although I am a proud Hawkeye, I learned to appreciate the Huskers during their dominate days in the 90’s and through the formation of the Big 12. I was glad to see them join the B1G, but I miss the traditional rivalries.

Huskers play @ Colorado this year and have another home and home with them in the near future after another stint with Oklahoma. I think there should be a push by the fan base to try to set up games with the rest of the Big 8 / Big 12.

I think fans from both schools would really enjoy it

Reactions: Black5hirt
I have lived in Omaha for 26 + years and although I am a proud Hawkeye, I learned to appreciate the Huskers during their dominate days in the 90’s and through the formation of the Big 12. I was glad to see them join the B1G, but I miss the traditional rivalries.

Huskers play @ Colorado this year and have another home and home with them in the near future after another stint with Oklahoma. I think there should be a push by the fan base to try to set up games with the rest of the Big 8 / Big 12.

Problem. How do you schedule them. EVERYONE shoots have atleast one marquis non conference game. Big 12 marquis teams would be Oklahoma and Texas. Next level would be kstate tcu and Iowa State, west virginia and okie state, then ku Baylor and Texas tech...in my opinion.

Texas Oklahoma and tcu would help recruiting wise. Isu and kstate don't have much national interest to be picked up as the feature game of the week, which is what you strive for when scheduling.

Then you have to ask yourself if you would want to schedule them as your 2 ginmes. Probably not because they would expect a home and home series. They want a home game with NEBRASKA for revenue. We need at least 2 of our nonconfernce games to be home games for revenue.

I understand what you are saying but it's tough

WAT!

I think Ioway needs to schedule someone else besides ISU in the Big12..

Problem. How do you schedule them. EVERYONE shoots have atleast one marquis non conference game. Big 12 marquis teams would be Oklahoma and Texas. Next level would be kstate tcu and Iowa State, west virginia and okie state, then ku Baylor and Texas tech...in my opinion.

Texas Oklahoma and tcu would help recruiting wise. Isu and kstate don't have much national interest to be picked up as the feature game of the week, which is what you strive for when scheduling.

Then you have to ask yourself if you would want to schedule them as your 2 ginmes. Probably not because they would expect a home and home series. They want a home game with NEBRASKA for revenue. We need at least 2 of our nonconfernce games to be home games for revenue.

Sorry pass on the old southwest conference schools

Reactions: scarletred

This. IMO the only two Big 8 teams worth scheduling are Colorado and Oklahoma. Those two schools give us a revenue bump and are in areas where we have historically had recruiting success. The only other Big 8 school worth even considering would be MU. Their SEC affiliation would bump revenue and national attention. Recruiting, meh, doesn’t really help us much. They are in the 500 mile radius and I think Frost’s focus in that radius is beginning to show promise. ISU offers nothing. No national draw, and our main recruiting rival in Iowa is Iowa not ISU, so two games in a season against Iowa teams is probably more harmful than it is helpful. KU and KSU offer nothing. No revenue bump, no national interest, and we’re already winning recruiting battles against both schools in Kansas. That leaves Okie Lite. We already have OU on the schedule, and if the Big Ten is serious about conference expansion with OU, then no need to schedule OSU.

The only Big 12 school worth consideration is Texas. Maybe West Virginia for recruiting on the east coast, but that’s about it. And IMO, if the Big Ten is serious and really has inquired/offered to buy OU’s tier 3 rights and is able to add OU, I think Texas follows.

This. IMO the only two Big 8 teams worth scheduling are Colorado and Oklahoma. Those two schools give us a revenue bump and are in areas where we have historically had recruiting success. The only other Big 8 school worth even considering would be MU. Their SEC affiliation would bump revenue and national attention. Recruiting, meh, doesn’t really help us much. They are in the 500 mile radius and I think Frost’s focus in that radius is beginning to show promise. ISU offers nothing. No national draw, and our main recruiting rival in Iowa is Iowa not ISU, so two games in a season against Iowa teams is probably more harmful than it is helpful. KU and KSU offer nothing. No revenue bump, no national interest, and we’re already winning recruiting battles against both schools in Kansas. That leaves Okie Lite. We already have OU on the schedule, and if the Big Ten is serious about conference expansion with OU, then no need to schedule OSU.

The only Big 12 school worth consideration is Texas. Maybe West Virginia for recruiting on the east coast, but that’s about it. And IMO, if the Big Ten is serious and really has inquired/offered to buy OU’s tier 3 rights and is able to add OU, I think Texas follows.
Iowa is not a recruiting rival. They recruit with other afterthought programs like Northwestern Minny and Illinois. Frost is winning recruiting battles against Clemson, OU, and Bama for big time players. Iowa and Minnesota can fight over the small potatoes.

Last edited:
Iowa is not a recruiting rival. They recruit with other afterthought programs like Northwestern Minny and Illinois. Frost is winning recruiting battles against Clemson, OU, and Bama for big time players. Iowa and Minnesota can't fight over the small potatoes.

Noah Fant says hello.

I get what you’re saying and now that Frost is here in agree. Now that Frost is here I think we win the 500 mile radius more often than not. But prior to Frost we were losing guys to Iowa. Those days are over.

We lost to Iowa when we dicked around.

Frost would have had fant and that DT who I cant remember right now. We'd have Williams from Wisconsin too. Frost just didn't have enough time and I think he still came real close to flipping him.

We lost to Iowa when we dicked around.

Frost would have had fant and that DT who I cant remember right now. We'd have Williams from Wisconsin too. Frost just didn't have enough time and I think he still came real close to flipping him.

Agreed. Fant isn't a very good example. He was recruited by Pelini during 2014. Who knows what that ass said to him about NU at that time. Pelini pretty much knew he was gone for half the season. And Riley was too much of an idiot to continue any type of relationship with Fant until it was too late.

I would say losing any recruiting battles with Iowa in the last several years were more likely due to incompetency than anything.

Agreed. Fant isn't a very good example. He was recruited by Pelini during 2014. Who knows what that ass said to him about NU at that time. Pelini pretty much knew he was gone for half the season. And Riley was too much of an idiot to continue any type of relationship with Fant until it was too late.

I would say losing any recruiting battles with Iowa in the last several years were more likely due to incompetency than anything.
Let's say incompetent since the last few years of franks reign till coach frost was hired

WAT!

I think Ioway needs to schedule someone else besides ISU in the Big12..

Most Iowa fans would agree with you. Minus their recent top 25 finish, there has never been much incentive for Iowa to play ISU...especially on a home and home basis. If we win we should, if we lose it is a big story.

I would rather see us go on a rotation with them instead of every year. That would give Iowa much more flexibility to schedule different P5 opponents from areas we recruit.

Some truth to those things but Iowa has a pretty strong track record (that will grow this year) with players getting to the NFL, especially at certain positions like OL, TE, DL, S, CB. Frost has Neb on an uptick in overall recruiting but it might take a while for them to get kids through the program and into the league for it to really kick in.

Reactions: Hawkeye_311
Most Iowa fans would agree with you. Minus their recent top 25 finish, there has never been much incentive for Iowa to play ISU...especially on a home and home basis. If we win we should, if we lose it is a big story.

I would rather see us go on a rotation with them instead of every year. That would give Iowa much more flexibility to schedule different P5 opponents from areas we recruit.

You have all the flexibility that anyone else has. You choose to play a bunch of directional schools or MWC teams and Iowa St. Until Campbell got there, they were no different than scheduling another G6 team.

We're in the Big 10. Scheduling Big 12 teams should be looked at no differently than scheduling teams from any other conference. I wouldn't get any more excited to play Oklahoma than I would Florida State or USC. A good game is a good game. Nostalgia for the old days is fine, but I want NU to win the BIG.

We're in the Big 10. Scheduling Big 12 teams should be looked at no differently than scheduling teams from any other conference. I wouldn't get any more excited to play Oklahoma than I would Florida State or USC. A good game is a good game. Nostalgia for the old days is fine, but I want NU to win the BIG.

Playing Big 12 teams has the potential to produce better recruiting results than playing Florida St or USC. Cross sectional games are fun but there is more benefit to playing teams within the footprint. Never underestimate the power of drivable distance for unofficial visits.

Playing Big 12 teams has the potential to produce better recruiting results than playing Florida St or USC. Cross sectional games are fun but there is more benefit to playing teams within the footprint. Never underestimate the power of drivable distance for unofficial visits.
That's fine, I can agree with that. The OP and others want to re-create the old days and that's not realistic.

We all know Iowa are posers. I will say he mentioned Alabama as scheduling tough non conf game, and "doesn't press 5" Umm they might be one of the worse teams in the country for scheduling crap teams. Here is a list of some of their non conf games the last 5 years.

Western Carolina
New Mexico St
Louisiana
Arkansas St
The Citadel
Mercer
Kent St
Chattanooga
ULM
Middle Tenn
Charleston.

Reactions: GaRed and TheNewNU
You have all the flexibility that anyone else has. You choose to play a bunch of directional schools or MWC teams and Iowa St. Until Campbell got there, they were no different than scheduling another G6 team.

Not really. As much as I dislike ISU you have to admit they are leaps and bounds better than every G6 team and have been for some time. You also forget that most schools that have an intrastate rivalry do so within the walls of their conference play. KU/KSU, OU/OSU, Tex/AM/Tech, Bama/Aub, MI/MSU, Purdue/IND, Ill/NW. There are very few in state out of conference P5 matchups so it does make it trickier. The other thing that makes it harder is it is pushed by our board of regents that oversee all the main schools of the state, making it highly political.

I would be all for a schedule of a cream puff, ISU, and a high caliber home and away, The problem Iowa has faced is finding the 3rd that wants to do a home and away. Some of it is our AD's fault, some of it is the hand we are dealt with ISU. We have been able to secure the likes of Pitt, Syracuse but all too often it has been Wyomings and ect.

Again, most Iowa fans would be fine with ending the series or at least taking small breaks between sets if it meant more games against P5 schools.

Not really. As much as I dislike ISU you have to admit they are leaps and bounds better than every G6 team and have been for some time. You also forget that most schools that have an intrastate rivalry do so within the walls of their conference play. KU/KSU, OU/OSU, Tex/AM/Tech, Bama/Aub, MI/MSU, Purdue/IND, Ill/NW. There are very few in state out of conference P5 matchups so it does make it trickier. The other thing that makes it harder is it is pushed by our board of regents that oversee all the main schools of the state, making it highly political.

I would be all for a schedule of a cream puff, ISU, and a high caliber home and away, The problem Iowa has faced is finding the 3rd that wants to do a home and away. Some of it is our AD's fault, some of it is the hand we are dealt with ISU. We have been able to secure the likes of Pitt, Syracuse but all too often it has been Wyomings and ect.

Again, most Iowa fans would be fine with ending the series or at least taking small breaks between sets if it meant more games against P5 schools.

They have not been better than every G6 team for quite some time. That is something Iowa fan says to justify some of the close games and losses. Iowa St has had 10 losing seasons in the last 13. Seven of those losing seasons they won 4 games or less. They have lost multiple games to G6 teams.

Don't get me wrong, scheduling to get to 9 wins is what a lot of teams do. I don't have a problem with it. Just don't come on here and try to tell me it is because you don't have the flexibility to play better teams. You have the flexibility, just not the want to.

FSU....that would be a fun series to get.

Reactions: Bold Words
We all know Iowa are posers. I will say he mentioned Alabama as scheduling tough non conf game, and "doesn't press 5" Umm they might be one of the worse teams in the country for scheduling crap teams. Here is a list of some of their non conf games the last 5 years.

Western Carolina
New Mexico St
Louisiana
Arkansas St
The Citadel
Mercer
Kent St
Chattanooga
ULM
Middle Tenn
Charleston.

Good point, but maybe he is referring to the last 7 years opening up on a neutral field in different locations.

2012-Michigan
2013- Virginia Tech
2014- West Virginia
2015- Wisky
2016- USC
2017- Florida St
2018- Louisville

Reactions: saluno22

Western Carolina
New Mexico St
Louisiana
Arkansas St
The Citadel
Mercer
Kent St
Chattanooga
ULM
Middle Tenn
Charleston.

Go ahead and list them all. You forgot Florida St, USC, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Louisville, among others...

I guess I was wrong. At least as far as this forum is concerned. There is no desire to play the old teams you played forever.

I guess I was wrong. At least as far as this forum is concerned. There is no desire to play the old teams you played forever.
You're not wrong, I would welcome and enjoy just about any game against the old Big 8 members. But as far as pushing for it above other compelling games? I don't see it. It's just my opinion and from what I've seen here I think the majority would agree with you more than me.

The truth is that non-con scheduling decisions are driven 80% by financial considerations, 18% by competition considerations, and about 2% by what the fans want to see. Those are my numbers, haha.

Should have said this in the first place.

Missouri for selfish reasons because it was the very first game my father took me too...
AND
Nebraska and Missouri had a good hard fought rivalry going until the 1980’s when Missouri didn’t beat Nebraska again till Solich was the Head Coach.

They have not been better than every G6 team for quite some time. That is something Iowa fan says to justify some of the close games and losses. Iowa St has had 10 losing seasons in the last 13. Seven of those losing seasons they won 4 games or less. They have lost multiple games to G6 teams.

Don't get me wrong, scheduling to get to 9 wins is what a lot of teams do. I don't have a problem with it. Just don't come on here and try to tell me it is because you don't have the flexibility to play better teams. You have the flexibility, just not the want to.
Not many programs are rushing out to schedule 11 P5 teams including Nebraska.

The B1G going to the 9th conference game took the place of scheduling a 2nd P5 team in the nonconference.

Iowa's scheduling philosophy before the 9th game was Puff, Iowa State, P5 school (Pitt, Nebraska, Syracuse, Arizona, Arizona State) and MAC.

IMO, NU should schedule to benefit recruiting according to the coaching staff's target areas. Examples might be:

Southeast - GA, GA tech, FL, FL state, Miami.
South - texas, TAMU, LSU.
West - USC, UCLA, possibly Cal.

I see limited benefit in playing Washington, Oregon, VA tech, etc.

Western Carolina
New Mexico St
Louisiana
Arkansas St
The Citadel
Mercer
Kent St
Chattanooga
ULM
Middle Tenn
Charleston.
Bama historically plays one tough nonconference game in a neutral site. Saban is terrified of playing anyone good on the road, so he doesnt do it.

Bama historically plays one tough nonconference game in a neutral site. Saban is terrified of playing anyone good on the road, so he doesnt do it.

Much like all of the SEC. They refuse to play anyone of significance on the road in a true road game. The last kind of road game they played was LSU at Wis (Green Bay) and they lost.

Go ahead and list them all. You forgot Florida St, USC, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Louisville, among others...
Louisville and West Virginia? Not sure I would qualify them and tough competition. I will give you Florida St USC and wisc. So 3 tough games at home in 5 years.

Unless you are only scheduling OU or Texas I see no advantage to it. The other teams like Okie State and TCU are often times better than their reputation and could trip us up. Not a good risk reward. The rest of the conference, excluding WV are dogs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT