ADVERTISEMENT

Running Back Depth Chart- Surprises

davecisar

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 9, 2010
Looks like a lot of shakeup in this roster spot
In Scott Frosts offense, what he needs is a much different need than what was needed from a back in a WCO- pass first flavor- Pro Style

My thoughts in game 1:

Bell
Wilbon/Washington
Bradley
Ozigbo

This of course assumes- Washington is N- not a guarantee
Tre Bryant- takes medical- old man knees- very probable
Jones is the Hybrid- didnt add him to this
I wouldnt be shocked to see NU take Sarbaugh or Bryant and maybe Redshirt them- depends on how the class shakes out- it's possible- not probable

As I mentioned over a month ago- Wilbon is the most elusive back we had- I said he had to make someone miss over 70% of the time just to get back to the line of scrimmage. While he doesnt have the straight line breakaway speed Frost wants, he has great body control and lateral speed. He is going to surprise some people. This stat line backs that up:

Last edited:
Reactions: spinner4
In Scott Frosts offense, what he needs is a much different need than what was needed from a back in a WCO- pass first flavor- Pro Style

My thoughts in game 1:

Bell
Wilbon/Washington
Bradley
Ozigbo

This of course assumes- Washington in N
Tre Bryant- takes medical- old man knees
I wouldnt be shocked to see NU take Sarbaugh or Bryant and maybe Redshirt them- depends on how the class shakes out- it's possible- not probable

As I mentioned over a month ago- Wilbon is the most elusive back we had- I said he had to make someone miss over 70% of the time just to get to the line of scrimmage- the poor guy, our Oline was so bad. While Wilbon doesnt have the straight line breakaway speed Frost wants, he has great body control and lateral speed. This stat line backs up my observation:

I think Wilbon is going to have a big year for Frost. JMHO. He looks like the kind of guy who Frost can get in space and use.

My thoughts in game 1:

Bell
Wilbon/Washington
Bradley
Ozigbo

As I mentioned over a month ago- Wilbon is the most elusive back we had- I said he had to make someone miss over 70% of the time just to get back to the line of scrimmage. While he doesnt have the straight line breakaway speed Frost wants, he has great body control and lateral speed. He is going to surprise some people. This stat line backs that up:

Elusive rating? Missed tackles forced? Isn't some of this on the defense?

Bell and Washington would really make the RB room interesting. Big talent upgrade in year one, just wish Tre could get back and health, he is talented.

Reactions: cvogele29
Elusive rating? Missed tackles forced? Isn't some of this on the defense?
At the end of the day- the kids Wilbon is competing against on this study- are playing against those same defenses. yes- it is a forced miss. No DI defense is going to not miss a single tackle during a game. It's a comparative study that quantifies what many are trying to measure via their personal experiences- what they may or may not have seen.

Ive seen a lot of highlight reels where the RB didnt have to make anyone miss
One Hudl highlight tape of a high profile Nebraska HS kid- shows him making several "sacks" where no one even TRIED to block him- untouched:rolleyes::rolleyes: This study tries to measure what most dont see.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC

My thoughts in game 1:

Bell
Wilbon/Washington
Bradley
Ozigbo

Chris Evans is being penalized by not getting to play against Diaco's defense.

Bell
Bradley

To me, that room is pretty small right now. The others either have long term injury issues, aren't fast enough, lack power, or just are substandard for what Nebraska is used to putting on the field. I hope we get Washington. We need another running back.

Bell
Bradley

To me, that room is pretty small right now. The others either have long term injury issues, aren't fast enough, lack power, or just are substandard for what Nebraska is used to putting on the field. I hope we get Washington. We need another running back.

Enter, Mr. Washington.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I know nothing but I say a couple of okays last year where Bradly showed me his vision to see the hole and bounce it outside. I think he makes a move as this O suits him. It will be a crowded room if Bryant comes back full strength. Last year he was hitting the hole on the stretch plays pretty hard.

Bell
Bradly. Washington
Wilbon, Bryant
Ozigbo could be a wild card in all of this. Ready made power back but in the games I watched I didn't see that fro UCF.

I can tell you this, the crowd will go nuts and you won't hear the end of it if Scott lines up in a traditional I with a FB.

RB will have great depth!?!? Hell yeah!!!

RB - Bell, Washington, & Miles Jones added to Wilbon, Ozigbo, Bradley, and Bryant

l3mDL.gif

Reactions: davecisar
I guess you haven't seen the type of back Frost is looking for. No disrespect for Ozigbo. He isn't known for his speed and cutting ability.

We seem to be finding out what type of RBs Frost wants by the type he is recruiting.

Are any of the current backs like the recruits - Bell (6' 200#), Jones (5'9" 166#), or Washington (6' 190#) and have speed to burn?

Out of high school: Wilbon was 5'8 190#. Bryant was 5'10 198#. Bradley was 6' 182#. All but Ozigbo (5'11 220#) fit the size mold, but which of these has the speed to burn?

Reactions: davecisar
I just don't get the utter disrespect for Ozigbo.

I don’t think there’s disrespect anywhere for Ozigbo. He’s a beast. I think a lot of posters think he’s not a great fit in Frost’s offense. Oregon and UCF didn’t utilize that type of back much.

I found this tidbit sort of interesting.

Career NFL Stats

LaMichael James (5'8" 190 lbs)- 44 carries 193 yards - 5 rec for 45 yards - a bunch of punt and kick returns and a grand total of zero TDs

Kenjon Barner (5'9" 196lbs) - 77 carries 317 yards 3TDs 21 rec for 127 yards 0 TDs - a bunch of punt and kick returns.

DeAnthony Thomas (5'9" 179 lbs) - 28 carries for 180 yards and 2 Tds - 61 rec for 474 yards 3 TDs - a bunch of punt and kick returns with one 81 yard TD

Johnathan Stewart (5'11" 235 lbs) - when Kelly was Oregon OC - 1699 carries for 7318 yards and 51 TDs - 162 rec for 1295 yards for 7 TDs - 17 kick returns in 10 seasons

The point is that the running backs at Oregon were not always the greatest pure running backs. The offensive system allowed for them to have open running lanes and they were good enough to take advantage.

The one RB that has had the most NFL success was the biggest and probably the least "Oregon" type running back of them all.

I found this tidbit sort of interesting.

Career NFL Stats

LaMichael James (5'8" 190 lbs)- 44 carries 193 yards - 5 rec for 45 yards - a bunch of punt and kick returns and a grand total of zero TDs

Kenjon Barner (5'9" 196lbs) - 77 carries 317 yards 3TDs 21 rec for 127 yards 0 TDs - a bunch of punt and kick returns.

DeAnthony Thomas (5'9" 179 lbs) - 28 carries for 180 yards and 2 Tds - 61 rec for 474 yards 3 TDs - a bunch of punt and kick returns with one 81 yard TD

Johnathan Stewart (5'11" 235 lbs) - when Kelly was Oregon OC - 1699 carries for 7318 yards and 51 TDs - 162 rec for 1295 yards for 7 TDs - 17 kick returns in 10 seasons

The point is that the running backs at Oregon were not always the greatest pure running backs. The offensive system allowed for them to have open running lanes and they were good enough to take advantage.

The one RB that has had the most NFL success was the biggest and probably the least "Oregon" type running back of them all.
Bingo. AND people have forgotten that Blount was a successful back for Chip at Oregon as well. He was hardly a scat back. More like a 235lb wrecking ball with good top end speed.

Blount is surprisingly good for his size. Maybe not Eddie Lacy at GB big but he's like a linebacker taking snaps..

Richardson at UCF is like 245lbs. Tennessee POY and a 4-star. They wouldn’t have recruited him, if they didn’t see a use for a big back.

I don’t think any of the backs are necessarily ruled out, but there will be stiffer competition. Very possible Washington ends up on D.

I think Wilbon is going to have a big year for Frost. JMHO. He looks like the kind of guy who Frost can get in space and use.
Interesting take. Probably way to early to give up on someone like Wilbon. He won't know what to think having a little room to run. Hope he excels.

My thoughts in game 1:

Bell
Wilbon/Washington
Bradley
Ozigbo

Watch out for Miles Jones. Watch his video again.

Watch out for Miles Jones. Watch his video again.
I completely agree- he is a specimen
However I think the coaching staff has talked about him being more of the Hybrid type back- slot/RB that they use in situations where they use him in the slot on jet sweeps/receiver, then motion or shift him into the second back in the backfield for option/power/power read/sweep read type stuff.

The list I came up with was for the main back spot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT