ADVERTISEMENT

rumors about realignment ...

this is not accurate

FOX paid for (important delineation) 49% of the B1G's media rights prior to 2020 and were awarded an additional 2%, and majority stake, for zero dollars, due to breach of contract committed by the B1G when it canceled football during COVID and cratered FOX's B1G football inventory.

in this last deal, FOX upped its stake to 61%.
The Kevin Warren effect.

Reactions: Truewooper
this is not accurate

FOX paid for (important delineation) 49% of the B1G's media rights prior to 2020 and were awarded an additional 2%, and majority stake, for zero dollars, due to breach of contract committed by the B1G when it canceled football during COVID and cratered FOX's B1G football inventory.

in this last deal, FOX upped its stake to 61%.
And wasn't there some penalty for letting NBC have some games

Money is only part of it. Stability was the main reason. Everyone seems to forget how the Big 12 was falling apart and teams like Texas were trying to leave. There is a reason the Big 10 doesn't have a penalty for leaving.

All the people clamoring to go back to a group that didn't want us or like us is embarrassing. All because we swung and missed on 2 coaches. I remember Bo having almost exactly the same level of success in both leagues. Frost damaged our brand, it's not big 10s fault we have sucked.
Stability of the program should have been a higher priority than stability of the conference. Tom was short sided in this move. He damaged the program severely, although he didn't intend to.

You forget, we lost our Texas recruiting pool.. that's another very big part of it. Even with a high level of recruiting effort by all of the coaching staffs, we have really struggled to get top tier talent here and that hasn't changed since we came to this conference.. It also affected Bo's teams as his recruiting went down hill after the move as well.

The big issue is we basically killed the golden goose, under the guise of seeking stability.

In my view, the only way to fix that, is to undue what we have done.

The only positive realignment has had lately, is the addition of California & Washington as new recruiting pools.. we need to make that a priority imo. We have had very little luck tapping into the Ohio and Michigan talent pools, but I still wouldn't trade them for the old Texas pipelines.

And frankly with player revenue sharing coming in the near future, money is going to be more important than ever. There are plenty of have-not schools that are really going to be stretched thin financially when that happens including some in the Big12 and ACC.
Maybe this changes how recruiting works... MAYBE.

The current situation with NIL is not working so well to our favor. It remains to be seen how this changes if it is brought in house like some think will happen.

If you are in a league where 20 other schools are getting the same payments as you.. it's not a competitive advantage within the league.

Stability of the program should have been a higher priority than stability of the conference. Tom was short sided in this move. He damaged the program severely, although he didn't intend to.

You forget, we lost our Texas recruiting pool.. that's another very big part of it. Even with a high level of recruiting effort by all of the coaching staffs, we have really struggled to get top tier talent here and that hasn't changed since we came to this conference.. It also affected Bo's teams as his recruiting went down hill after the move as well.

The big issue is we basically killed the golden goose, under the guise of seeking stability.

The only positive realignment has had lately, is the addition of California & Washington as new recruiting pools.. we need to make that a priority imo. We have had very little luck tapping into the Ohio and Michigan talent pools, but I still wouldn't trade them for the old Texas pipelines.
I would look into the number and quality of recruits we had from Texas during our time in the Big 12. I don’t think it was a fruitful as you are making it out to be. Without a Big Ten team in the state, Rhule has made tremendous headway in Texas by just putting forth the effort to recruit there.

IMHO whatever pipeline there was to Texas was lost during the Pelini years when recruiting in general was an after thought, especially toward the end of his tenure. .

Maybe this changes how recruiting works... MAYBE.

The current situation with NIL is not working so well to our favor. It remains to be seen how this changes if it is brought in house like some think will happen.

If you are in a league where 20 other schools are getting the same payments as you.. it's not a competitive advantage within the league.
It's a competitive advantage nationally though, especially the more "P2" things become over the coming years. Nebraska is top 5/6 enough to benefit at least to some degree - should we start finding more success on the field starting with this season.

I would look into the number and quality of recruits we had from Texas during our time in the Big 12. I don’t think it was a fruitful as you are making it out to be. Without a Big Ten team in the state, Rhule has made tremendous headway in Texas by just putting forth the effort to recruit there.

IMHO whatever pipeline there was to Texas was lost during the Pelini years when recruiting in general was an after thought, especially toward the end of his tenure. .
completely disagree with you..

the loss of Texas recruiting was a direct result of the conference move.. Bo even tried very hard to get talent out of Ohio, and he managed to get a few people.. (mainly Ganz) but that recruiting pool was not opening up to Nebraska and still hasn't.

Rhule made headway when we had that TX high school coach on staff the first year. I'm not sure it's made an impact since he left.. (We had 5 recruits from Texas last year, this year 1)

We did finish 16th last year in the team rankings, which is better than we have done in quite awhile, but has more to do with landing DR.. as without him, we are sitting more like 20, which is where Frost and all the other coaches mostly had us at. Currently we are sitting at 36.. but we are being penalized for a small class size at the moment. Star ranking is 3.26, which is on par for Nebraska.

It's a competitive advantage nationally though, especially the more "P2" things become over the coming years. Nebraska is top 5/6 enough to benefit at least to some degree - should we start finding more success on the field starting with this season.
I said maybe.. if it becomes more of a revenue share model, but so far, the Nebraska B1G payday hasn't done anything for the program's success.. have you donated for the new stadium remodel yet? (sorry couldn't help it)

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

Ah, yes. The old "Nebraska can't win because they don't play in Texas anymore". Repeated by every no-nothing national sports writer and repeated by fans across the country. Texas was a part of our recruiting. Same as California. New Jersey has been a pipeline before we ever played there. Recruiting is about coaches and relationships. Frost didn't have ties in Texas, Rhule does. Amazingly, Rhule is recruiting Texas kids without playing in Texas. It's a miracle.

Bo had the same level of success in both conferences. The problem, and solution, is coaching. Bo's recruiting was influenced by his attitude and effort. Not the conference.

the loss of Texas recruiting was a direct result of the conference move.. Bo even tried very hard to get talent out of Ohio, and he managed to get a few people.. (mainly Ganz) but that recruiting pool was not opening up to Nebraska and still hasn't.

Rhule made headway when we had that TX high school coach on staff the first year. I'm not sure it's made an impact since he left.. (We had 5 recruits from Texas last year, this year 1)

We did finish 16th last year in the team rankings, which is better than we have done in quite awhile, but has more to do with landing DR.. as without him, we are sitting more like 20, which is where Frost and all the other coaches mostly had us at. Currently we are sitting at 36.. but we are being penalized for a small class size at the moment. Star ranking is 3.26, which is on par for Nebraska.
Ganz is from Chicago.....

I couldn't love this post more. I made an informal list one day that only went back to the early 90s of Texas vs. Cali players and the Texas list wasn't as impressive as I was led to believe. I'm going to start another thread to address this topic.

I said maybe.. if it becomes more of a revenue share model, but so far, the Nebraska B1G payday hasn't done anything for the program's success.. have you donated for the new stadium remodel yet? (sorry couldn't help it)
Is that more to do with Mike Riley / Scott Frost than it does with the B1G money. Scott Frost set our program back 10 years with his lack of development and program growth.

We actually have a guy with a plan now - maybe give him a couple of years to execute plan and see what happens. My guess is that we will pleasantly surprised what he can do.

B1G didn’t cause us to suck. Bad hires and poor execution by our coaches and AD are more to blame than anything B1G related.

If you are someone who thinks, present day, that we should move back to the Big12 you need to go have a BBQ with Averitas and pump each other up about how great the Big12 is - that would be a party of 2. If ANY school in the Big12 was offered an opportunity to come to the B1G or SEC they would leave in a heartbeat.

Ganz was recruited by Cally… set the passing record against KSU I believe after Keller went down with the broken collarbone or something.

Actual facts are hard for you.

Reactions: HankMoody78
Ah, yes. The old "Nebraska can't win because they don't play in Texas anymore". Repeated by every no-nothing national sports writer and repeated by fans across the country. Texas was a part of our recruiting. Same as California. New Jersey has been a pipeline before we ever played there. Recruiting is about coaches and relationships. Frost didn't have ties in Texas, Rhule does. Amazingly, Rhule is recruiting Texas kids without playing in Texas. It's a miracle.

Bo had the same level of success in both conferences. The problem, and solution, is coaching. Bo's recruiting was influenced by his attitude and effort. Not the conference.

I know your comment wasn't directed at me, but just to clarify, I don't think our loss of Texas recruiting inroads was the only reason for our spiral. I think it was one of the reasons. I think poor coaching hires, dating back to Callahan, were certainly another factor. The two reasons for our failure (bad hires - moving to the B1G) are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
just to send a dart through all the revenue targets spinning in this thread, below are the latest revenue numbers according to your media partner, fox.

the idea of bringing clemson and fsu is to enhance the b12 number which is already above, not below, acc distributions and actually not that far from the sec/b10. another facet to consider is separating the league's (elite) basketball media deal from football, thus maximizing both platforms.

Twelve of the 14 Big Ten schools each received about $60.5 million from the conference, with 2014 additions Maryland and Rutgers getting about $58.8 million apiece.

The SEC distributed $51 million to each school. Each ACC school received between $43.3 million and $46.9 million; Notre Dame, an independent in football, received $22.1 million.

Big 12 schools received distributions ranging from $43.8 million to $48.2 million. The Pac-12 distributed about $33.6 million to each of its members, down from $36 million the previous year.
it would be interesting with the money involved what the spending power is for schools, I'd imagine it would be alot cheaper to do stadium or facility up grades in Lincoln compared to la or miami. or even how far the money goes for school employees as far as cost of living..

I know your comment wasn't directed at me, but just to clarify, I don't think our loss of Texas recruiting inroads was the only reason for our spiral. I think it was one of the reasons. I think poor coaching hires, dating back to Callahan, were certainly another factor. The two reasons for our failure (bad hires - moving to the B1G) are not mutually exclusive.
Disagree. I don't think Texas recruiting mattered at all. It was 100% coaching. Simple as that.

Alot of those TX recruits were junk. Before and after the conference switch. Go look at the lists and tell me if you remember half the kids from Texas. It's a myth not supported by any facts. Now look at all the hits on Cali kids. Bo should have doubled down on Cali and maybe we could have taken the next step.

it would be interesting with the money involved what the spending power is for schools, I'd imagine it would be alot cheaper to do stadium or facility up grades in Lincoln compared to la or miami. or even how far the money goes for school employees as far as cost of living..
lincoln would certainly be cheaper than new york. along that line, ku is presently trapped by interest rate hikes with their stadium renovation. beyond "late to the party," this is certainly a venture capital prospect if anyone wants a piece of ku football?

IF the money were to end up equal, why wouldn't we consider this? Most of the old Big 12 (minus Texas). Restore some old rivalries, like CU. Plus good ACC teams like FSU and Clemson plus ND and Stanford. Instantly back with a seat at the big boy table with ND, instead of sitting at the kiddie table with likes of Purdue and Iowa. Yes please. Where do we sign up? And who can tell me the TV people wouldn't value that makeup at least equal to SEC/B1G?
Listen to yourself, talk about the kiddie table with Purdue and Iowa those teams own us the last decade. Come on we have a long ways to go before spouting off like this.

• Haha
Reactions: Landomatic
Our dominance ended with the elimination of partial qualifiers which was intentional by so called fellow brethren
Once again you are 100% correct, the same brethren that some
Fans on here are very eager to go back to. Is the Big Ten any better in terms of actual care and support from fellow conference members? No. The original members hate the newer members but at least they don’t pretend to be friends like the former big 8 schools did. Would it be cool to drive 3 hours or less to away games again? Sure. Would it be cool to have your longtime “friends” vote for inequality and things that hamper our program? Heck no

the loss of Texas recruiting was a direct result of the conference move.. Bo even tried very hard to get talent out of Ohio
Why did he abandon Texas recruiting?
wrong. WR coach is from Texas, DL coach is from Texas. DFO is a Texan

Reactions: bigboxes
evidently an fsu associated podcast that last night spoke directly to what we have been discussing here the last few days. start at 13:00 minute mark. this guy is a blowhard on steriods but still the conversation is germane to this thread.

evidently an fsu associated podcast that last night spoke directly to what we have been discussing here the last few days. start at 13:00 minute mark. this guy is a blowhard on steriods but still the conversation is germane to this thread.

ybFghGD.gif

You act like selling off a portion of your conference rights to a private equity firm is a good thing. 🤣 It’s a desperation move by Big XII leadership to get a fast influx of cash to hopefully stay financially relevant and competitively relevant.

You speak like having to sell part of conference rights is an advantage you (Big XII) have over the SEC and B1G? It’s not an advantage in any way, it’s a Hail Mary pass from your own 35 yd line. But go ahead and keep gaslighting yourself, will be all the more hilarious in 2-3 years when you realize your “private equity money” was a desperation move, not a competitive advantage.

You act like selling off a portion of your conference rights to a private equity firm is a good thing. 🤣 It’s a desperation move by Big XII leadership to get a fast influx of cash to hopefully stay financially relevant and competitively relevant.

You speak like having to sell part of conference rights is an advantage you (Big XII) have over the SEC and B1G? It’s not an advantage in any way, it’s a Hail Mary pass from your own 35 yd line. But go ahead and keep gaslighting yourself, will be all the more hilarious in 2-3 years when you realize your “private equity money” was a desperation move, not a competitive advantage.
What limited knowledge of venture capital and private equity is this.

They usually swoop in on financially strapped or failing companies. Either straighten them out or sell them off piece meal. Usually isn't good long term

Why did he abandon Texas recruiting?

wrong. WR coach is from Texas, DL coach is from Texas. DFO is a Texan
your first question makes no sense.. We switched conferences.. I'm not sure if he abandoned Texas recruiting as you say or not, but I know he did try to make inroads into Ohio with his Youngstown background.

your second statement states a couple of coaches are from Texas, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

They brought in Bob Wager (sp?) specifically for the Texas recruiting that you are talking about. He is a very well known HS coach and he was the investment in recruiting that Coach Rhule made.. Who cares if a couple of coaches are from Texas.. that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It was Bob that had the reputation and the relationships with the HS talent.

He is no longer with the program, and the number of Texas kids between last years class and this years class shows a remarkable dropoff.

I'm not wrong in anything I have stated except for Ganz.. my memory on that wasn't so good. Was it Tim Marlow from Ohio?

Last edited:
Is that more to do with Mike Riley / Scott Frost than it does with the B1G money. Scott Frost set our program back 10 years with his lack of development and program growth.

We actually have a guy with a plan now - maybe give him a couple of years to execute plan and see what happens. My guess is that we will pleasantly surprised what he can do.

B1G didn’t cause us to suck. Bad hires and poor execution by our coaches and AD are more to blame than anything B1G related.

If you are someone who thinks, present day, that we should move back to the Big12 you need to go have a BBQ with Averitas and pump each other up about how great the Big12 is - that would be a party of 2. If ANY school in the Big12 was offered an opportunity to come to the B1G or SEC they would leave in a heartbeat.
My argument is that our B1G money has not led to any program success.

You can blame the coaches, and surely they carry a lot of blame for the lack of success, but that is not the argument I am making.

Everyone wants to hang their hat on this money thing, and maybe someday that will lead to better recruiting, but so far that has not happened.

In fact, Scott had very good recruiting classes (I went back and looked yesterday) but success didn't follow in spite of that either.

If more money leads to better recruits in the next NIL model, then MAYBE yes that will help give us some kind of advantage.. maybe an advantage against the non-conference opponents, or a bowl game opponent, but that is all.

your first question makes no sense.. We switched conferences.. I'm not sure if he abandoned Texas recruiting as you say or not, but I know he did try to make inroads into Ohio with his Youngstown background.

your second statement states a couple of coaches are from Texas, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

They brought in Bob Wager (sp?) specifically for the Texas recruiting that you are talking about. He is a very well known HS coach and he was the investment in recruiting that Coach Rhule made.. Who cares if a couple of coaches are from Texas.. that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It was Bob that had the reputation and the relationships with the HS talent.

He is no longer with the program, and the number of Texas kids between last years class and this years class shows a remarkable dropoff.

I'm not wrong in anything I have stated except for Ganz.. my memory on that wasn't so good. Was it Tim Marlow from Ohio?

Tim Marlow sounds right… I think he was the one from Ohio.

Urban Meyer must be a no-nothing then.. He has stated this repeatedly, and I've heard from sources that it's the main reason he had no interest in the job.

As for Bo, he should have never been fired. Many on this board will tell you he won with Callahan's recruits, but he was here for 7 years I think, and never won less than 9 games, so he won with his own recruits too, but somehow fans on this site hate the guy. (go figure)

Urban Meyer must be a no-nothing then.. He has stated this repeatedly, and I've heard from sources that it's the main reason he had no interest in the job.

As for Bo, he should have never been fired. Many on this board will tell you he won with Callahan's recruits, but he was here for 7 years I think, and never won less than 9 games, so he won with his own recruits too, but somehow fans on this site hate the guy. (go figure)
We announced our intention to join the Big 10 the summer of 2010. Go ahead and list all the impact players from Texas the previous 10 years. That covers 3 different coaches. Moving to the Big 10 had zero impact on Texas recruiting.

I don't hate Bo. It's just that he was tired of being here and most were tired of him. He was never going to take the next step. Didn't have it in him. Didn't embrace recruiting. Couldn't handle the pressure. Stubborn. Shouldn't have fired him without a better replacement. That is the lesson to be learned from our firings.

1. selling off 15-20% for $1B that enhances b12 conference financials is a good thing;
2. i never wrote that the rumored equity investment was an advantage over the sec and b10 - that's a straw man argument;
3. it's about now, not 2-3 years down the road which always seems to be the timeline for negative nabobs - "just wait";
4. as for N all we have is the record to judge the propriety of moving to the rust belt conference.

1. selling off 15-20% for $1B that enhances b12 conference financials is a good thing;
2. i never wrote that the rumored equity investment was an advantage over the sec and b10 - that's a straw man argument;
3. it's about now, not 2-3 years down the road which always seems to be the timeline for negative nabobs - "just wait";
4. as for N all we have is the record to judge the propriety of moving to the rust belt conference.
Just stop. Get help. Just stop. Get help.

I thought you might post some BS like this so here are your own words. You claim that the ACC grant of rights price is too high for the B1G. (which you don’t know to be true, you just made that up) Then you claim the infusion of cash from your private equity firm does give the Big XII enough cash to buy out Clemson and/or FSU. (also a fanciful wishful thinking/opinion)

Your own words portrayed the Big XII’s Hail Mary pass as a financial advantage. (which once again isn’t true and just your uniformed opinion)
my view is that if the sec and b10 thought any school brought incremental (new) revenue to its other members those acc schools would already be gone. but it's the acc grant of rights, isn't it. there's not enough additional revenue for either conference to spend money freeing any acc school. however, that's not the case for the b12 because it's media deal is much smaller than the sec and b10. that's the growth potential the equity company targets.

this by the way is all just theorizing on my part. it was triggered by the venture capital leak last week. trying to figure out what they see in the b12 to invest $1B. the chances of this happening are maybe remote. yep. even though i do believe something big is on its way. i'm just not at all clear as to the methods or outcomes.

We have never been in a conference that had a school in California until 2024 yet we recruited there. Same for NJ, same for Florida same for Georgia. And Louisiana. Switching leagues is a straw man at best.

Wager was a HS coach in Dallas. He was a similar hit to what old man McGuire was for Rhule at Baylor. Familiarity with the state and coaches. He wasn’t going to recruit the whole state. McGuire’s kid is recruiting Texas, as is Knighton. Elsa was the boss of the UIL down here. She was way more important to Texas texting than Wager was.

You are comparing a completed 2023 class of 30 player with a partial 2024 class. That is the weakest of weak ass arguments. Talk to me in December and compare the number of Texas recruits that actually sign.

Your Ohio point is just nonsense. What does that have to do with recruiting Texas?

We have never been in a conference that had a school in California until 2024 yet we recruited there. Same for NJ, same for Florida same for Georgia. And Louisiana. Switching leagues is a straw man at best.

Wager was a HS coach in Dallas. He was a similar hit to what old man McGuire was for Rhule at Baylor. Familiarity with the state and coaches. He wasn’t going to recruit the whole state. McGuire’s kid is recruiting Texas, as is Knighton. Elsa was the boss of the UIL down here. She was way more important to Texas texting than Wager was.

You are comparing a completed 2023 class of 30 player with a partial 2024 class. That is the weakest of weak ass arguments. Talk to me in December and compare the number of Texas recruits that actually sign.

Your Ohio point is just nonsense. What does that have to do with recruiting Texas?
I count 5/31= 16% of class from Texas last class.

1/11=9% of commits from Texas this class.

What a crazy argument OP has.

We recruited California heavily under smilin Mike because he had influence there and no conference recruiting pool to tap into.

We recruited Florida under Frost, because he had influence there and no conference recruiting pool to tap into.

Rhule recruited Texas heavily last year because of Bob Wager's influence there, and no conference recruiting pool to tap into.

Only Bo had the balls to try to tap into Ohio, (Big Ten recruiting pool), and was lucky to just get a few guys.

Prior to the Big Ten, we had the Texas recruiting pool as part of the conference that we were IN.

That is why it's important. You want to be able to recruit in your conference's built in recruiting grounds. If you can't recruit within your own conference talent pools, you are quite limited in the talent available to you and is why every staff at Nebraska has to work their ass off, to get an average top 20 class.

Are you really this dense?

Reactions: Landomatic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT