ADVERTISEMENT

rumors about realignment ...

again, this is all conjecture on my part. the only facts we know are actually just rumors about the investment house intentions.

BINGO

Even John Kurtz and the Baylor 365 guys are somewhat leary of it and think/realize it as a last ditch effort to stay relevant rather than ground breaking positive move.
john kurtz. lol. are you kidding me. the kid bill snyder told: you write whatever the hell you want (boy). john kurtz. jesus, mary, and joseph. bingo.

john kurtz. lol. are you kidding me. the kid bill snyder told: you write whatever the hell you want (boy). john kurtz. jesus, mary, and joseph. bingo.
So he's not a ksu/big12 insider?

Good to know

IF the money were to end up equal, why wouldn't we consider this? Most of the old Big 12 (minus Texas). Restore some old rivalries, like CU. Plus good ACC teams like FSU and Clemson plus ND and Stanford. Instantly back with a seat at the big boy table with ND, instead of sitting at the kiddie table with likes of Purdue and Iowa. Yes please. Where do we sign up? And who can tell me the TV people wouldn't value that makeup at least equal to SEC/B1G?
The money wouldn't end up equal. Anyone who thinks it would needs to be drug tested. 99% of America doesn't care about the teams in the Big 12. Adding Clemson and FSU wouldn't change that. Adding Clemson, FSU, and NU won't change that.

The leftover Texas schools and the Utah schools don't generate ratings. Same for the Kansas schools. CU is hot right now, but will they be if they have another 4 win season? They will fade if they don't do something this year. Clemson is a regional team. People cared about them when they had lottery pick qbs. Not so much anymore. FSU might be slightly better, I don't know.

If any of these remaining teams have any real value they will be scooped up by the Big 10 or SEC.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The money wouldn't end up equal. Anyone who thinks it would needs to be drug tested. 99% of America doesn't care about the teams in the Big 12. Adding Clemson and FSU wouldn't change that. Adding Clemson, FSU, and NU won't change that.

The leftover Texas schools and the Utah schools don't generate ratings. Same for the Kansas schools. CU is hot right now, but will they be if they have another 4 win season? They will fade if they don't do something this year. Clemson is a regional team. People cared about them when they had lottery pick qbs. Not so much anymore. FSU might be slightly better, I don't know.

If any of these remaining teams have any real value they will be scooped up by the Big 10 or SEC.

I notice you conveniently left out ND? What about Miami and NC? Seems like a pretty strong little league to me. Two true bluebloods, a few fringe players, some basketball powers. Seems on par with SEC/B1G to me.

• Haha
it actually makes a lot of sense if this is going as i think it might. there's an infusion of capital which is used to bring those two schools, maybe more. with them in hand, the conference renegotiates its media deal to be more competitive with the sec and b10. this doesn't happen - the capital infusion - unless that's already on the table, both pieces. private equity is in the business of fixing underperforming assets. and then selling off for a profit. they are not here as some sort of social services organization.
seems like fox and espn's plans are 2 super conferences combining to make nfl light...I'd rather have 4 conferences with a 4 team playoff...systematic. (plus I like college football having alot of teams)...but if that was their plans they would'nt have taken ut and ou out of the big 12. they would have probably added a usc and ucla to the big 12.

Last edited:
Wait, you think ND to big12?

No. And I don't this us either. But that would be cool.

I guess stranger things have happened. It would be great for college football and would make financial sense in that the Big 12 TV contract would then warrant SEC/B1G money levels.

I notice you conveniently left out ND? What about Miami and NC? Seems like a pretty strong little league to me. Two true bluebloods, a few fringe players, some basketball powers. Seems on par with SEC/B1G to me.
I left out ND because I don't consider them a realistic option. So you think UNC, Miami, Clemson and FSU to the Big 12? Let's play the game.

Each team would get $250 million. I've read varying reports but it seems like each school would owe the ACC around $140 million to leave. So they would each pocket $110 million. Current Big 12 media deals pays $32 million per school. Big 10 around $70 million per school? Why wouldn't any of these schools just join the Big 10 or SEC instead? Rumor is the schools that leave would pay in installments. Big 10 money would make up the difference.

If it's truly about survival then adding those 4 would help. But I don't think those 4 significantly move the needle viewership wise and now you are splitting amongst 20 teams. So I doubt the per team payout would increase a ton, meaning the Big 12 would still have the large pay gap.

No. And I don't this us either. But that would be cool.

I guess stranger things have happened. It would be great for college football and would make financial sense in that the Big 12 TV contract would then warrant SEC/B1G money levels.
So you must be a fan of a big12 school.

Are the west coast teams full B1G members immediately?

Are the west coast teams full B1G members immediately?
Cali schools full share. Oregon and Washington half shares that increase by $1 million a year until 2030 when they become full members.

Maryland still owes the Big 10 over $100 million since they took a reduced payout and a loan. I imagine if needed the Big 10 could loan any ACC members their buyout money.

I left out ND because I don't consider them a realistic option. So you think UNC, Miami, Clemson and FSU to the Big 12? Let's play the game.

Each team would get $250 million. I've read varying reports but it seems like each school would owe the ACC around $140 million to leave. So they would each pocket $110 million. Current Big 12 media deals pays $32 million per school. Big 10 around $70 million per school? Why wouldn't any of these schools just join the Big 10 or SEC instead? Rumor is the schools that leave would pay in installments. Big 10 money would make up the difference.

If it's truly about survival then adding those 4 would help. But I don't think those 4 significantly move the needle viewership wise and now you are splitting amongst 20 teams. So I doubt the per team payout would increase a ton, meaning the Big 12 would still have the large pay gap.

Because they have no chance at being competitive in those leagues. You know, worried about spiraling toward obscurity while the big dogs of the conference continue to dominate. Sound familiar?

Because they have no chance at being competitive in those leagues. You know, worried about spiraling toward obscurity while the big dogs of the conference continue to dominate. Sound familiar?

Well, leaving the ACC wouldn't make any sense then. Clemson and FSU are already the top dogs. If it's all about winning, why leave?

FSU wants money. The Big 12 payout is currently at $32 million. ACC payout was supposedly $45 million. It's going to be hard to make up that difference and then some, any way you slice it. How are they going to get Clemson and FSU into the Big 10/SEC range? Unless the Big 12 goes to unequal revenue sharing.

Late to the thread..

Boy I would love for these rumors to be true..

I'd go back to the Big 12 in a heartbeat.

Th B1G sucks big time, and all you people that that said the Big12 was weak have been wrong. They seem stronger than the PAC and the ACC.

It may now get weaker because of OU and UT leaving, but we had a major hand in weakening that conference too.

I'd go back any day.. CU did, we should too.

Late to the thread..

Th B1G sucks big time, and all you people that that said the Big12 was weak have been wrong. They seem stronger than the PAC and the ACC.

It may now get weaker because of OU and UT leaving, but we had a major hand in weakening that conference too.

Good lord.

CU wouldn’t have gone back if the PAC 12 hadn’t disintegrated.
but the PAC 12 did disintegrate.. so they were smart to make the move.

I get all the people that stomp up and down about the money, but the fans never see a dime of it and the football program has suffered greatly in this league since we threw away our identity.

It's too late to get that identity back now.. it has to be re-earned, but conference realignment has been nothing but damaging to Nebraska Football's brand.

I will always hate the current league we are in, and it is never going to be a cultural fit.

Well, leaving the ACC wouldn't make any sense then. Clemson and FSU are already the top dogs. If it's all about winning, why leave?

Because it's not just about winning. It's about winning AND money. At least it should be for top-tier programs like Clemson and FSU...and us. Unfortunately, we gave up the former for the latter when we made the short-sighted decision to throw our sucker in the dirt and go to the B1G. Maybe FSU and Clemson don't want to make the same mistake we did.

FSU wants money. The Big 12 payout is currently at $32 million. ACC payout was supposedly $45 million. It's going to be hard to make up that difference and then some, any way you slice it. How are they going to get Clemson and FSU into the Big 10/SEC range? Unless the Big 12 goes to unequal revenue sharing.

I (and others) have already explained scenarios under which the Big 12 could potentially get there in this hypothetical situation. Not sure why you keep asking to have it explained over and over. I don't think it will happen. But if someone pulls the trigger on a $1B investment into the Big 12, something is going to happen.

• Haha
I get all the people that stomp up and down about the money, but the fans never see a dime of it and the football program has suffered greatly in this league since we threw away our identity.

It's too late to get that identity back now.. it has to be re-earned, but conference realignment has been nothing but damaging to Nebraska Football's brand.

I will always hate the current league we are in, and it is never going to be a cultural fit.

POTY right here^

I think people want to cling to the B1G money because it's pretty much the only thing left they have to cheer about. Can't really blame them I guess. But make no mistake, we sold our soul for that money. And I'm not sure we'll ever get it back.

but the PAC 12 did disintegrate.. so they were smart to make the move.

Money is only part of it. Stability was the main reason. Everyone seems to forget how the Big 12 was falling apart and teams like Texas were trying to leave. There is a reason the Big 10 doesn't have a penalty for leaving.

All the people clamoring to go back to a group that didn't want us or like us is embarrassing. All because we swung and missed on 2 coaches. I remember Bo having almost exactly the same level of success in both leagues. Frost damaged our brand, it's not big 10s fault we have sucked.

Late to the thread..

Let’s go the Big12 where we think we will win more games due to K St being the top tier program in the league?

The Big12 is the NIT tourney of football.

Let’s focus on getting better and winning more games in the current league.

Last edited:
Let’s go the Big12 where we think we will win more games due to K St being the top tier program in the league?

The Big12 is the NIT tourney of football.

Let’s focus on getting better and winning more games in the current league.
And keep cashing the checks and not having to worry about existence. A true husker fan would want to make our situation better and not be fascinated with making another conference better

And keep cashing the checks and not having to worry about existence. A true husker fan would want to make our situation better and not be fascinated with making another conference better

Worry about existence? A little dramatic, don't you think? Show me all the teams that are filing bankruptcy and shutting down their football programs.

• Haha
It would be interesting to see what the media money for the Big 12 would be today if no one had left. It was a fantastic conference, in both FB and BB. Possibly the best. Blew it straight out their ass.
The BIG becomes schlub when you get past the top four or five teams. No intensity. A bunch of money though. But that is nothing new. They have always had the money!
The top four or five teams in todays Big 12 would have no problem taking down most of the BIG. Always will. Ohio st. Michigan, Penn st. - or maybe one other that pops up every now and then - that's different. Not going to catch them.

Hey I get that people miss the big8. I do too. But I get rubbed the wrong way when people say that the big12 was the best thing since sliced bread and that the current big12 is the poor victim.

Money created the big12. Incompetence organized it and greed, jealousy and pride ran it. Maybe the sec and b1g learned from the mistakes of the big12. The swc schools should have joined the big8 rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater to create a new conference.

Arrogance, greed, disloyalty and distrust broke up this conference in less than 2 decades. Not a good look.

Would I like to still be in a more regional conference with closer travel games and what many say would be more of a cultural fit? Sure. But in reality that ship set sail in 2010 and it ain't coming back because that ship sunk.

It's all about what's in N best interest and the conference we're in. Is it perfect? Not by any means. Is there a better place to be now and 10 years from now? I don't think so. If Rhule gets this sleeping giant upright and successful, Hoiberg improves by 10 to 20%, Amy's gotta do the same, and we've gotta get hawk's/bowlen renovation project completed. That would help recruiting a ton and we'll all feel better.

just to send a dart through all the revenue targets spinning in this thread, below are the latest revenue numbers according to your media partner, fox.

the idea of bringing clemson and fsu is to enhance the b12 number which is already above, not below, acc distributions and actually not that far from the sec/b10. another facet to consider is separating the league's (elite) basketball media deal from football, thus maximizing both platforms.

Twelve of the 14 Big Ten schools each received about $60.5 million from the conference, with 2014 additions Maryland and Rutgers getting about $58.8 million apiece.

The SEC distributed $51 million to each school. Each ACC school received between $43.3 million and $46.9 million; Notre Dame, an independent in football, received $22.1 million.

Big 12 schools received distributions ranging from $43.8 million to $48.2 million. The Pac-12 distributed about $33.6 million to each of its members, down from $36 million the previous year.

Last edited:
just to send a dart through all the revenue targets spinning in this thread, below is the latest revenue numbers according to your media partner, fox.

the idea of bringing clemson and fsu is to enhance the b12 number which is already above, not below, acc distributions and actually not that far from the sec/b10. another facet to consider is separating the league's (elite) basketball media deal from football, thus maximizing both platforms.

Twelve of the 14 Big Ten schools each received about $60.5 million from the conference, with 2014 additions Maryland and Rutgers getting about $58.8 million apiece.

The SEC distributed $51 million to each school. Each ACC school received between $43.3 million and $46.9 million; Notre Dame, an independent in football, received $22.1 million.

Big 12 schools received distributions ranging from $43.8 million to $48.2 million. The Pac-12 distributed about $33.6 million to each of its members, down from $36 million the previous year.
That's looking back. Now post the 2024 and 2025 projections. Big 12 is projected at $32 million from everything I've read. Allstate would add 2 to 3 million per team.

That's looking back. Now post the 2024 and 2025 projections. Big 12 is projected at $32 million from everything I've read. Allstate would add 2 to 3 million per team.
those are the latest numbers available. each year i keep reading about this great disparity between leagues. it is just not true. $10 million is less than 10% of most p4 school athletic budgets. even k-state is now ~$100 million annually. the point of this thread is that venture capital will be used to cut that difference between the b12 and sec/b10 through acquisition of power schools like clemson and fsu. it's actually all teed up for yormark. whether he swings or not is to be determined.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
just to send a dart through all the revenue targets spinning in this thread, below is the latest revenue numbers according to your media partner, fox.

Ok. But b1g and sec revenue is set to spike up beginning with the 24-25 season.

those are the latest numbers available. each year i keep reading about this great disparity between leagues. it is just not true. $10 million is less than 10% of most p4 school athletic budgets. even k-state is now ~$100 million annually. the point of this thread is that venture capital will be used to cut that difference between the b12 and sec/b10 through acquisition of power schools like clemson and fsu. it's actually all teed up for yormark.
The difference was 25% between big 10 and big 12. You guys lost your biggest money makers and then diluted the share by going to 16 teams. Meanwhile, the big 10 added the LA market with an iconic team in USC, a huge metro in Seattle, and a semi-national brand in Oregon.

It all depends on

a) if the big 10 or SEC want any ACC schools

b) how bad the ACC schools bend over the Big 12

The $1 billion will come at a cost. So there goes a cut of your annual revenue. If they want a 20% stake then do they want 20% of annual tv revenues? So the question is does Clemson and FSU move the needle enough to make up the difference? Those teams combined don't have the viewership or brand of UT, let alone UT/OU. But it would provide stability by adding them.

Reactions: huskerfan66
The difference was 25% between big 10 and big 12. You guys lost your biggest money makers and then diluted the share by going to 16 teams. Meanwhile, the big 10 added the LA market with an iconic team in USC, a huge metro in Seattle, and a semi-national brand in Oregon.

It all depends on

a) if the big 10 or SEC want any ACC schools

b) how bad the ACC schools bend over the Big 12

The $1 billion will come at a cost. So there goes a cut of your annual revenue. If they want a 20% stake then do they want 20% of annual tv revenues? So the question is does Clemson and FSU move the needle enough to make up the difference? Those teams combined don't have the viewership or brand of UT, let alone UT/OU. But it would provide stability by adding them.
1. the $12.3 million difference in fox numbers between the b10 and b12 is 20.3%
2. if the b10/sec want acc schools they'll take them or lose them
3. i don't know what the term "bend over" means as to the acc and b12
4. the $1B is being invested (maybe) based on growth, that's the whole point - grow the enterprise and sell for a profit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT