ADVERTISEMENT

Royals parade. There's got to be a million plus. Awesome sight**

Not sure about a million, but bet it's close to 400k. School is out all over the city because teachers were calling in and couldn't get subs - so tons of families.

Not sure about a million, but bet it's close to 400k. School is out all over the city because teachers were calling in and couldn't get subs - so tons of families.

That's a huge open area there by the WWI museum, and this picture doesn't show the whole area. That's a whole lot of people there. This picture has to be from the WWI Museum observation tower. Went up there this past Memorial Day. Got to check it out if you haven't.

CS6hKQ2XIAAYIl_.jpg:large

I'm up against the brownish tree middle left!
That's a huge open area there by the WWI museum, and this picture doesn't show the whole area. That's a whole lot of people there. This picture has to be from the WWI Museum observation tower. Went up there this past Memorial Day. Got to check it out if you haven't.

CS6hKQ2XIAAYIl_.jpg:large

Last estimate was of 600K.

The school district I work for has 2700 employees...1000 took day off per superintendent.

Awesome sight!

Not sure why people would want to subject themselves to that mass of humans....no way...that is one big bandwagon

OK so how many is there then? Since you know...
CS6Tv1bUAAATcs3.jpg

This isn't even the parade route.

Can you guys see me in this pic? I'm the one wearing blue. What a great experience this was. We got there at 9 AM and we're still a ways away from the stage.

Reactions: bigbadjim990
I live in KC and last night on the news they said city officials were anticipating 200k people. I started laughing and looked at my wife and said, "they must be using 1985 census data because I guarantee there will be at least 500k people downtown tomorrow." Sure enough, 500k is the estimate that is coming in. That's roughly 1/4 the entire metro population. I counted 44 local public school districts that canceled school today. The Johnson County health authority where I live started making "epidemic files" of Blue Flu that was contracted at 11:38 pm on 11-1-15 and cured 12:00 pm 11-3-15. It nuts.

I have to be honest, I was 4 when the Royals won the series in 1985. I was 13 in 1994, I was 14 in 1995 and I was 16 in 1997. I was 20 in 2001 when we last played for a national title. I remember the night Ripken broke Gehrig's record, watching him lap Camden Yards while wearing my Ripken jersey. I remember when McGuire broke Marris's record (before the steroid controversy). That home run was a lime drive like I've never seen before. I remember Jordan, Magic, Gretzky, and Woods. I remember Joe Carter's home run, and remember being pissed because he had a home in KC down the street from friends of ours, and constantly wondered why he was in Toronto and not KC. I was at Kauffman when George Brett hit number 3,000. I was there when Ventura hit one over the fountains at Kauffman. I was there when the Royals went 21 innings with the Rangers. I've seen many, many sporting events, many of which will go down in sports history and will outlive all of us. But what I've witnessed In KC over the past 7 days with the Royals, is personally the greatest sporting moment/moments I've witnessed in my entire life. This city, from downtown, to every nook, in every suburb is electric in a way that is beyond imagination. It is indescribable. This would never happen with the Chiefs, not on the same plane of magnitude. There is just something about baseball... It's beyond incredible. For me the order is:

2015 Royals
1994 Huskers
1995 Huskers
Ripken breaking the record
1997 Huskers
All others

Not sure why people would want to subject themselves to that mass of humans....no way...that is one big bandwagon

I think it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's been 30 long years, with some very lean years in that period. I read an estimate that said 800,000 total.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Looks awesome.

BTW: It is very hard estimate the numbers in a crowd but as a comparison this picture is of the California Jam 1 Concert. The crowd here was estimated as between 250,000 and 300,000. The area shown here with people is approximately a square mile.
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39.jpg

Not really sure it is a mass of bandwagoners. This is an entirely new generation of fans supporting this World Series Championship team. It had been 30 years, an entire generation, since the last Crown. Because of the last two years, new young fans solidified for the future. Tons of young adults were there in support.

Best estimates is 500k-800k with a very strong lean to the upper end. People were parking their cars in the median of I-35 and walking in. It was nuts.

No I didnt mean they were all bandwagon fans...Obviously some are but that happens everywhere. I have a few adult male friends that are now Royal fans and that bothers me a bit.....because about 2 years ago the were fans of other teams...that stuff shouldnt happen

Considering the attendance for the entire season last year was 1.7 million, my guess is there are quite a few bandwagon fans. However, I do love the small markets beating the big boys. It bodes well for the future of baseball. Right now there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of very good young players in MLB. I think the future of baseball is as bright as it's been in 50 years if they can avoid some stupid labor stoppage. The new tv contracts, including the local Fox ones, are exploding so salaries are going up. Great if you are a player, and hopefully fans will continue to go to games.

Considering the attendance for the entire season last year was 1.7 million, my guess is there are quite a few bandwagon fans. However, I do love the small markets beating the big boys. It bodes well for the future of baseball. Right now there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of very good young players in MLB. I think the future of baseball is as bright as it's been in 50 years if they can avoid some stupid labor stoppage. The new tv contracts, including the local Fox ones, are exploding so salaries are going up. Great if you are a player, and hopefully fans will continue to go to games.
Kids are going to start wanting to play baseball again. The money spits on football deals, and you don't end up with CTE or wheel-chair bound. Play baseball kids!

Looks awesome.

BTW: It is very hard estimate the numbers in a crowd but as a comparison this picture is of the California Jam 1 Concert. The crowd here was estimated as between 250,000 and 300,000. The area shown here with people is approximately a square mile.
f8fc730eabfcf3fe8b0e832faf853c39.jpg

The parade route was about 2.5 miles long and was 15-20 deep in most areas. Then the main picture being seen online is in front of Union Station. And people are lined up from Union Sation, over to Crown Center all the way up the lawn to the Liberty Memorial and all the way down Pershing and Grand. It was massive. The total area covered was probably closer to 3 to 3.5 miles. There were people standing on top of Children's Mercy Hospital and even on top of The Kaffuman Center. There were people on the Liberty Memorial grounds watching. People were abandoning their cars on I35 and Southwest Boulavard in droves. To walk from the I35 exit at Pennway/Southwest Blvd over to Union Station is probably 3-4 miles. It was crazy.

I loved watching the World Series run, and as a person who had watched little to no baseball for the previous 10 years learned a decent amount about the game. That said I'll still hardly watch it come April. Having a 160 game season completely changes the dynamic of the game for me. Hard for me to find much excitement until the end of season.

I watch about 120 Cubs games a year but by watch I mean its on in the background while I am on my laptop ...even during the World Series I had it on gamecast on the laptop while I watched other things....

I watch about 120 Cubs games a year but by watch I mean its on in the background while I am on my laptop ...even during the World Series I had it on gamecast on the laptop while I watched other things....
MW, invest $25 annually for the mlb app. It allows you to listen to every teams home broadcast of every game. Baseball on radio is the shit. You get daily doses of Uecker, late night LA games, you can tune into the final innings of every no-hitter all season, and you can be farting around on the internet all the while. I listened to 90% of the royals games this season that way and it was great. It's the best money you'll ever spend.

I have watched/gone to 60-70% of the Royals games for the last 15 years, so I had a pretty big emotional investment in this run for the last couple of years. This is absolutely great for the organization. While bandwagon fans can be irritating, I have to agree with what double said in his response earlier in this thread......their green spends just the same as mine does. They are estimating that the Royals organization will be up over 80 million in revenue from the 2013 season.....they were up right around 70 after last year.

After watching some games at the end of the season and just praying that the Royals could find some way to eek out a few wins to avoid losing triple digits on the season, this is very satisfying. And yes, it seemed as though there were very few Royals fans around then. Watching this team grow up in front of you has been fun. I am not sure just how long that they can keep the core of this team together, but they are a group that I will never forget. Many of these are homegrown players that are responsible for resurrecting this organization from the dead.

So to me, the more money that is spent, the more money the organization has, the better the chances that they can keep this going for a longer period of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT