ADVERTISEMENT

Rob Dvoracek - new linebackers coach

I was excited AF with Bo. Who wasn’t?
Me. Trusted Tom but it was a meh hire for me. The bottom line though was that Bo possibly won more games than the other name hires being promoted on here would have. He hired a bunch of no name assistants and it worked fairly well until he didn’t have the depth of talent anymore that Callahan left him on D.

Last edited:
True...maybe we are getting homerun hires for OL and DC. We know the money available for the hires.
Maybe the young guys ARE home run hires. When I had my business I LOVED hiring new graduates because what they lacked in experience they more than made up for in enthusiasm AND they didn’t have bad habits acquired from some other crappy practice.

I am confident in Rhule, but who knows. But comparing this staff to Riley's staff makes no sense, there are no similarities, it is MUCH more like what Pelini did.
Riley hired his friends. Matt’s doing the same . At least Bo had Gilmore, Watson, and Beck for new guys. Hell even Dobson wasn’t his guy. And Barney, Ron Brown, and Marvin were Basically forced on him in 2003

Last edited:
Same as under Riley? What?

Riley hired a bunch of old guys at the end of their coaching careers: Banker, Cav, Hughes, Reed. If anything these hires you are upset about are much more like what we got under Pelini: Ekler, Papuchis, Garrison, Beck.

Pelini also kept some of the experienced guys from Callahan's staff (Watson, Gilmore) that he hadn't worked with before. It seemed to work pretty well.

Pelini’s defensive assistants
His brother Carl
Ekeler and Papuchis were first year coaches who moved with Bo from LSU
Sanders coached with Pelini at NU when Bo was DC.
Defense that first

Ekeler and Pap were rookie coaches in 2008.
Gilmore, Watson, Beck & Dobson.

Pelini also kept some of the experienced guys from Callahan's staff (Watson, Gilmore) that he hadn't worked with before. It seemed to work pretty well.

True, although TO forced Watson on him. Rhule was also trying to keep Mickey until you know.......

Reactions: BleedRed78
Market value. If you get a promotion or take a better job with a new company you get a raise.

Other than the RB Coach, they are not really getting promoted though...they were fired from the Panthers so this is more of a demotion.

Riley hired his friends. Matt’s doing the same . At least Bo had Gilmore, Watson, and Beck for new guys. Hell even Dobson wasn’t his guy. And Barney, Ron Brown, and Marvin were Basically forced on him in 2023z

Riley didn't just hire his "friends". He brought some coaches from OSU, but also guys like Stewart, Hughes, Williams, and Davis. Just like you are advocating for here.

I played college football and coach the game...I hope these hires are great, but have my doubts. Hoping for the best!
You still have no idea how they’ll work out at NU. It sounds that much the same as Tom, Rhule is a micromanager. It didn’t work for Carolina to hire a Joe Brady and we shouldn’t be wishing assistants on a coach because we’re familiar with his name.

You still have no idea how they’ll work out at NU. It sounds that much the same as Tom, Rhule is a micromanager. It didn’t work for Carolina to hire a Joe Brady and we shouldn’t be wishing assistants on a coach because we’re familiar with his name.
Neither do you. Thus far the staff is similar to or worse than the last hires on paper. The weak staff hires of Frost have been rightfully panned. We shouldn't give the benefit of the doubt now.

Riley didn't just hire his "friends". He brought some coaches from OSU, but also guys like Stewart, Hughes, Williams, and Davis. Just like you are advocating for here.
So your saying Rhule’s worse?

PS Reggie Davis? The Y2K super charges

Neither do you. Thus far the staff is similar to or worse than the last hires on paper. The weak staff hires of Frost have been rightfully panned. We shouldn't give the benefit of the doubt now.
It’s really easy to complain and think you could assemble a better staff . Bitching is the thing most on here are the best at.

So your saying Rhule’s worse?

PS Reggie Davis? The Y2K super charges

Not at all. I'm saying what you are advocating is what completely bombed here not too long ago and is what the only other coach you hated did. Ironic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT