ADVERTISEMENT

Rehashing the Past....again

Haha, yeah no it isn't. Not when Pelini was representing our football program.
I'm sorry, but these stories you keep telling trying to prove a point aren't the same situations that you're making them out to be.

Don't be sorry, it is okay.

Reactions: HuskerO
If you are embarrassed by someone you don't know...the problem isn't them...it is you. It really is.
Even if this were true, it doesn't change the fact that people were already embarrassed by Bo and they didn't "all of a sudden" claim to be embarrassed by him.

Even if this were true, it doesn't change the fact that people were already embarrassed by Bo and they didn't "all of a sudden" claim to be embarrassed by him.
Yeah they did...embarrassment is something that "happens", I think, I don't think it is a build up thing, if that makes sense. I think one day you are "fine" with someone or something and then they do something that causes embarrassment. That might just be me though.

Yeah they did...embarrassment is something that "happens", I think, I don't think it is a build up thing, if that makes sense. I think one day you are "fine" with someone or something and then they do something that causes embarrassment. That might just be me though.
Living away from Nebraska for the last 8 years causes me to have a different perspective than when I was in Nebraska... I had to try and explain Bo’s behavior to non Husker fan friends, or Mike’s crap show to non Husker fan friends.

I know it shouldn’t embarrass me, because it’s not me doing these things, but it’s hard to say it’s not my problem (even though it really isn’t my problem).

Not sure if that makes sense, but I’ve taken some crap the last 8 years here in Minnesota over our last 2 coaches. The product on the field (coaches with Bo, players with Mike) has been embarrassing at times. I do tend to agree that the more it happens, the harder it is to defend and the more embarrassing it becomes. I tend to agree with HuskerO that Bo had been embarrassing us for awhile. And Mike? Well, take your pick from first year or third year... plenty of embarrassing moments there.

You realize that the above is an even bigger story, like Yahoo Sports, USA Today, 60 minutes, ESPN, Outside the Lines, Jim Rome show story...

"Local Journalists get threatened into not publishing a story by public institution" and would make that journalist famous, nationally.I.

Oh please, now you really don't know what you are talking about. This sort of thing happens with journalists all the time. That's one of the reasons for the "gray basket", a term that I learned from an investigative journalist. Maybe it doesn't happen as much with sports journalists as other journalists; that's something I can't say. But it happens all the time with journalists in general, very probably on a daily basis somewhere around the country. It's not a threat, as in I'm going to plant a bomb in your car. It's simply a factual statement: If you print something I don't like, I'll work to see that your sources for future stories dry up. Journalists on the political beat deal with this all the time. And one can argue that, given NU football in Nebraska, reporting of a football coaches off-the-field antics has political overtones. So it becomes a cost/benefit analysis, like I said. Does the speaker have the power to do what he says? Is he bluffing? Can I develop other sources quickly if he isn't bluffing? Given the worst case scenario based on his threats, does the value of the story outweigh the negatives to me or my employer?

And I never said it was a public institution or anyone working for a public institution.That's your erroneous assumption.

Living away from Nebraska for the last 8 years causes me to have a different perspective than when I was in Nebraska... I had to try and explain Bo’s behavior to non Husker fan friends, or Mike’s crap show to non Husker fan friends.

I know it shouldn’t embarrass me, because it’s not me doing these things, but it’s hard to say it’s not my problem (even though it really isn’t my problem).

Not sure if that makes sense, but I’ve taken some crap the last 8 years here in Minnesota over our last 2 coaches. The product on the field (coaches with Bo, players with Mike) has been embarrassing at times. I do tend to agree that the more it happens, the harder it is to defend and the more embarrassing it becomes. I tend to agree with HuskerO that Bo had been embarrassing us for awhile. And Mike? Well, take your pick from first year or third year... plenty of embarrassing moments there.

Ha! Yeah, I know what you mean and it makes sense.

The harder thing to explain was the hiring or Riley in the first place! Ha

Reactions: timnsun
Oh please, now you really don't know what you are talking about. This sort of thing happens with journalists all the time. That's one of the reasons for the "gray basket", a term that I learned from an investigative journalist. Maybe it doesn't happen as much with sports journalists as other journalists; that's something I can't say. But it happens all the time with journalists in general, very probably on a daily basis somewhere around the country. It's not a threat, as in I'm going to plant a bomb in your car. It's simply a factual statement: If you print something I don't like, I'll work to see that your sources for future stories dry up. Journalists on the political beat deal with this all the time. And one can argue that, given NU football in Nebraska, reporting of a football coaches off-the-field antics has political overtones. So it becomes a cost/benefit analysis, like I said. Does the speaker have the power to do what he says? Is he bluffing? Can I develop other sources quickly if he isn't bluffing? Given the worst case scenario based on his threats, does the value of the story outweigh the negatives to me or my employer?

And I never said it was a public institution or anyone working for a public institution.That's your erroneous assumption.

I was going to post more but that is okay...I don't care enough. You win...it goes...

Ted Bundy, Bo, John Wayne Gacey.

Last edited:
I'm not mad, just amused as I always am when someone starts spouting off about stuff they don't know anything about. You said the fact that a journalist being threatened with losing his sources would be some sort of monster story, a CNN, Yahoo type story. You are wrong. Period. It wouldn't. It's part and parcel of being a journalist.

And I'm not saying this journalist was right in his decision. But the decision in this specific case was based on a belief that the person making the threats had the power to make good on those threats. Therefore, it was balancing one story against the real potential of a loss of career in Lincoln. As you said, a journalist has to have sources and if a journalist covering NU football has no sources in the athletic department or on the team, then it's time to go work at Misty's as a waiter. Plus it is not just the journalist, it's his employer. I don't know whether the journalist talked it over with his boss(es) but it seems likely. They could have decided that the long term problems weren't worth the short term gains. Given the nature of the person making the threats there was a real possibility of loss of long term ad revenue, although I have no specific knowledge on that. In this day and age of vanishing revenue in the mainstream media there aren't that many Woodward, Bernstein, and Posts out there. Loss of ad revenue can easily be a death knell.

Plus you know that if the story went out the Bo-lievers would reject the story out of hand, maybe you'd have the sources retract their stories when thy saw the uproar, etc. Versus what would be, yes, a huge story, but just a huge story in Nebraska. If the journalist lost his job because of the story, based on loss of sources or the sources retracting their story out of fear of reprisal (I have no knowledge of such threats here, but it's far from uncommon) and tried to find a position, say, with the Des Moines Register, the story of a head coaches' crass, rude, frightening but ultimately not criminal behavior wouldn't carry much weight in Des Moines.

Off the field staff issues PRIOR to Bo and Carl? I'm not doubting you... just wondering if you can elaborate.
Way too much partying by the coaching staff. A lack of attention to recruiting responsibilities. "Problems" with coaches while on recruiting trips. Multiple coaches banging college aged females some NU employees who were not their wives and at least one instance of a pregnancy. I'm not naming names because anybody with their head out of their butt heard about them when it happened. So you can see why hiring Bo and Carl didn't help things. Then you had Bo chasing Tom's buddy from KSU off the field. Our roster was a mess particularly on offense and their was little hope that it was going to improve based on what was going on with recruiting. We were headed for some lean times no matter if Frank had been retained. Personally I think Frank was a better head coach than Pelini could have ever dreamed of being, but things were not trending well for him. Frank's hiring of Pelini was a big mistake and it sealed his fate IMO.

I also take those stories with a grain of salt because people will often take a situation where they didn’t get exactly what they thought they were going to get and label that person bad forever. Without seeing what went down, I don’t believe anyone’s story 100%
You mean like stories from a guy who has a plane NU football uses? I will give you that the stories some of us have heard from boosters of substance and NU staff are second hand, but the ones I have repeated are only from people I feel are above reproach with no bones to pick. Keep carrying your boy's water but even Tom has admitted several times on public media that hiring Bo " was probably not the best choice". Frank warned him that he didn't have the temperament to be the head coach at NU but Tom ignored his advice.

You mean like stories from a guy who has a plane NU football uses? I will give you that the stories some of us have heard from boosters of substance and NU staff are second hand, but the ones I have repeated are only from people I feel are above reproach with no bones to pick. Keep carrying your boy's water but even Tom has admitted several times on public media that hiring Bo " was probably not the best choice". Frank warned him that he didn't have the temperament to be the head coach at NU but Tom ignored his advice.

Sadly any coach that doesn't win a NC is not the right choice in the end.

Sadly any coach that doesn't win a NC is not the right choice in the end.
I may not live to see another National Championship at NU. Does that make Frost the wrong choice? Hell no. He is EXACTLY the RIGHT choice now and for the next 2 decades regardless of whether or not he wins the MNC.

I may not live to see another National Championship at NU. Does that make Frost the wrong choice? Hell no. He is EXACTLY the RIGHT choice now and for the next 2 decades regardless of whether or not he wins the MNC.

Yeah...right now he is...if in 20 years he retires with no title we will say "Man...he never did win the big one!"

Shoot, TO was crucified all the time until the end.

If we had a crystal ball (of, if I had any balls at all) and we could see which coach would win NU a Natty and if that coach was not Frost...we would pick that other coach.

I have heard all the stories too...It is amazing that the head coach at NU can be out in public being an asshole to so many people yet there is not one photo or video of it...like when he was thrown out of his daughters softball game...or when he was thrown out of his sons basketball game...both times for swearing and berating officials...yet...not one picture or video.

He was fired for not winning enough...the good news is there was an easy excuse to attach. That he is an ass. If in his 7 years here he had 75 wins and 3 NC's he isn't getting fired.
Not everyone runs around ready to record at the drop of a hat either. A close friend was at a game in Minnesota with his son, one of the Vedrals and his kid, Bo as well as others. He didn't get kicked out, he just went nuts cussing and screaming. Even tried recruiting a kid from Minnesota right after that and they wouldn't speak to him after seeing him in action. Yes, 2nd hand for me, but from people I trust. Shrug.

My son was a ref at a soccer game. Bo's son was playing on one of the teams. He went nuts yelling and screaming along the side line. Not that that is any different than dozens of other grown ups that think it is cool to yell at kids or young refs. I was there, I watched it. He is an ass that can't control himself. Sure he eventually got over it. My son even talked to him after the match and got his autograph. But then he is used to spastic assholes yelling and screaming at him during games.

Yeah...right now he is...if in 20 years he retires with no title we will say "Man...he never did win the big one!"

Shoot, TO was crucified all the time until the end.

If we had a crystal ball (of, if I had any balls at all) and we could see which coach would win NU a Natty and if that coach was not Frost...we would pick that other coach.
It was pretty evident very early on that Pelini was not the right choice for NU as Frank had suggested but Tom propped him up as long as he could thinking he could fix his shortcomings. I am very happy that it has worked out now the way it has and I think Tom is very relieved that the conflict is over.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
It was pretty evident very early on that Pelini was not the right choice for NU as Frank had suggested but Tom propped him up as long as he could thinking he could fix his shortcomings. I am very happy that it has worked out now the way it has and I think Tom is very relieved that the conflict is over.
Oh I don't think it could have ended any better and I am thrilled about it. Bo was horrible, Riley was not even a coach...I can't wait for the Frost Era

Not everyone runs around ready to record at the drop of a hat either. A close friend was at a game in Minnesota with his son, one of the Vedrals and his kid, Bo as well as others. He didn't get kicked out, he just went nuts cussing and screaming. Even tried recruiting a kid from Minnesota right after that and they wouldn't speak to him after seeing him in action. Yes, 2nd hand for me, but from people I trust. Shrug.

My son was a ref at a soccer game. Bo's son was playing on one of the teams. He went nuts yelling and screaming along the side line. Not that that is any different than dozens of other grown ups that think it is cool to yell at kids or young refs. I was there, I watched it. He is an ass that can't control himself. Sure he eventually got over it. My son even talked to him after the match and got his autograph. But then he is used to spastic assholes yelling and screaming at him during games.

I agree...he is an asshole...most of us are. I know I am.

I just don't think that was the reason he was canned...he was canned because he couldn't win enough...if he had been winning titles he would still be here.

Last edited:
Way too much partying by the coaching staff. A lack of attention to recruiting responsibilities. "Problems" with coaches while on recruiting trips. Multiple coaches banging college aged females some NU employees who were not their wives and at least one instance of a pregnancy. I'm not naming names because anybody with their head out of their butt heard about them when it happened. So you can see why hiring Bo and Carl didn't help things. Then you had Bo chasing Tom's buddy from KSU off the field. Our roster was a mess particularly on offense and their was little hope that it was going to improve based on what was going on with recruiting. We were headed for some lean times no matter if Frank had been retained. Personally I think Frank was a better head coach than Pelini could have ever dreamed of being, but things were not trending well for him. Frank's hiring of Pelini was a big mistake and it sealed his fate IMO.
Id definitely like some names and evidence. Not sure why you wouldnt share that if youre so sure and its so obvious.

You probably won't get much response. The fan's ego is also pretty fragile right now.

There is also a portion of the fan base that is preparing themselves for 5-7 wins this year, who are also managing expectations. They want Frost to be the answer, as do I and everyone else, so if they set the bar low, they can still have hope for next year and the years that follow. If they set the bar at 8 or better, and Nebraska doesn't reach that level in year one, then they would have to have someone to blame. So they set the bar low, blame the Big Ten and the schedule and hope that Frost exceeds their lowered expectations.

I wish you could downvote on this site.

Reactions: SOHusker11

100% on the money by a country mile.

You’ve gotten it. Again, reread what I said, not what you wish I’d said.

Bo was fired for how he acted.

People wanted Bo fired for how he acted.

Those same people tried to act like his results on the field weren’t good enough as a cover for them just wanting him gone for how he acted. They acted like they believed that 9-10 wins was easy to achieve and that anyone could do it, therefore Bo should be fired, but in reality, it was all based on how Bo acted.

Bo was not fired for winning only 9-10 games. Bo was fired for how he acted. Everyone actually agrees with this statement. They truly believe this.

Some of those people tried to act like it was also his record, as Snohomish has already pointed out for you.

I don’t think I can make it any clearer.

Wrong on bolded. Bo was fired because deep down in his heart he felt that being at Nebraska was a burden (backed up by the attitude shown by "Tapegate" and subsequent infamous actions) and that attitude was permeating throughout the entire program.

Reactions: gw2kpro
Oh I don't think it could have ended any better and I am thrilled about it. Bo was horrible, Riley was not even a coach...I can't wait for the Frost Era

Well, winning 9 or 10 games for seven consecutive years is hardly "horrible" imo. It wasn't great but relative to Riley & Clownahan......

But I fully agree Smiling Mike wasn't even a coach.

Ok gentlemen, I believe we have made significant progress towards solving the many issues with yourselves and Husker Football. We will pick this up again in our next session.;)

Sigmund+Freud.jpg

Decisions are hard. Hiring football coaches even more so when you haven't exactly set yourself up to be a great destination (decent not great pay, sky high expectations, perception in coaching circles of firing coaches with winning records).

This time around - there was a qualified candidate that was interested (actually more than one....but that was in part because Moos was AD, he had the open checkbook - finally, and Riley had knocked the bar down so low it would be possible to build a team before fans go off the deep end). It makes the hiring decision easier when you have stars aligned. We do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT